Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:26:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 138747 times)
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: May 09, 2019, 11:54:13 PM »

ICONIC.  Serving up some real Midwestern charm. 

Even if he loses, Pete (and Chasten!) have cemented their place in gay American history.  It's two for the price of one!

Why does this sound exactly like a Sprouts Farmers Market post 😂
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #451 on: May 10, 2019, 01:03:00 AM »

Biden/Buttigieg would be an awesome ticket, I would be very happy about that.

Me too, but not that likely to happen. Buttigieg has a shot at some cabinet appointment if there is a Dem prez coming 2021.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #452 on: May 11, 2019, 01:55:27 PM »

Trump offers a new nickname for Pete:

'Alfred E. Neuman cannot become president of the United States,' the president told POLITICO in a 15-minute telephone interview on Friday afternoon.

A timeless reference to draw in the youth vote!

"I’ll be honest. I had to Google that," [Buttigieg] said. "I guess it’s just a generational thing. I didn’t get the reference. It's kind of funny, I guess. But he’s also the president of the United States and I’m surprised he’s not spending more time trying to salvage this China deal."

This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #453 on: May 11, 2019, 05:42:34 PM »

I'm 22 and I got the reference, and I think Pete's point was more that the President has to stick to schoolyard bully tactics and dated references to gain political clout but...I've seen a lot of galaxy brain liberals being like "what kind of IDIOT doesn't know who Alfred E. Neuman is???"
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #454 on: May 11, 2019, 05:59:22 PM »

Someone needs to compare Trump to Zapp Brannigan and see if he gets that reference.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #455 on: May 11, 2019, 06:32:42 PM »

I'm 22 and I got the reference, and I think Pete's point was more that the President has to stick to schoolyard bully tactics and dated references to gain political clout but...I've seen a lot of galaxy brain liberals being like "what kind of IDIOT doesn't know who Alfred E. Neuman is???"

The hate people are giving Buttigieg for this is so ridiculously dishonest. One of the cornerstones of his campaigns is that he's running as the youthful alternative! Of course he's going to use a comment like this to zing Trump for being old as dirt. People who are trying to critique this like it's a serious comment just want to dump on him for other reasons.

It's really baffling to me how, when people dislike a public figure, they feel the need to drag them for everything they do. Like, you're allowed to not comment on things that people you don't like say and do!
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #456 on: May 11, 2019, 10:30:15 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2019, 11:23:20 AM by Speaker YE »

That is possibly the blandest and most unexciting ticket the Democrats could possibly throw up.

Nah, you're thinking of Kamala/anyone.

Obviously you've never heard her speak... but I should've already known you'd prefer the white male conservatives.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #457 on: May 11, 2019, 11:04:34 PM »

To be honest, I think what really draws me to Pete has to be how weak all of the arguments against him are. All of the attacks I've seen really stretch the actual facts of the matter if they aren't outright fabrications or deranged.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #458 on: May 11, 2019, 11:32:43 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2019, 11:24:35 AM by Speaker YE »

To be honest, I think what really draws me to Pete has to be how weak all of the arguments against him are. All of the attacks I've seen really stretch the actual facts of the matter if they aren't outright fabrications or deranged.

Tbh, a lot of this primary session we've seen "activist types" do that to all candidates. Whether if it's people bashing Buttigieg for being an overachieving nerd (ignoring the fact that this is something LGBTQs and other marginalized minorities, like Jews in Eastern Europe, are well-documented doing), or Berniebros calling Warren "a liberal Republican", the amount of dishonesty and hate when most candidates aren't that different is really astounding. Case in point:

That is possibly the blandest and most unexciting ticket the Democrats could possibly throw up.

Obviously you've never heard her speak... but I should've already known you'd prefer the white male conservatives.

Calm down lol
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #459 on: May 12, 2019, 12:16:05 AM »

What about the simple fact that he's not qualified for the office? He's a small-town mayor, and yes, I'm impressed by how he's managed to revitalize his town-- he should run for senate or as a representative-- but I really don't want Trump's inexperience to be a precedent-setter rather than an aberration. And no, I'm not a Trump supporter, so the whataboutism argument doesn't work for me. Why should we trust Buttigieg to make this enormous leap?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #460 on: May 12, 2019, 12:41:04 AM »

What about the simple fact that he's not qualified for the office? He's a small-town mayor, and yes, I'm impressed by how he's managed to revitalize his town-- he should run for senate or as a representative-- but I really don't want Trump's inexperience to be a precedent-setter rather than an aberration. And no, I'm not a Trump supporter, so the whataboutism argument doesn't work for me. Why should we trust Buttigieg to make this enormous leap?

Leaving aside the most obvious counterexample with the argument, I will instead note that Nixon had plenty of experience and qualifications...and look where that took him. I will also note the man he served under had none, actually, at times, the experiences he did have were a bit contrary to politics.

And yet.

Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #461 on: May 12, 2019, 01:45:31 PM »

I had to google that as well, but it is one of Trump's best visual insults, I have to admit.

MAD Magazine's answer is fun as well.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #462 on: May 13, 2019, 07:13:59 PM »

I was obsessed with Mad Magazine when I was a kid and used to collect them and owned maybe around 100 or so magazines. I of course got that reference.
HarrisonL

« Reply #463 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:48 AM »

That is possibly the blandest ad most unexciting ticket the Democrats could possibly throw up.

Yes I do, but Biden and Buttigieg are not Conservatives, and I'm not a fan of Conservatives. If you think Biden and especially Buttigieg are Conservatives then you are beyond the point of no return.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #464 on: May 14, 2019, 07:00:37 AM »

That is possibly the blandest ad most unexciting ticket the Democrats could possibly throw up.

Yes I do, but Biden and Buttigieg are not Conservatives, and I'm not a fan of Conservatives. If you think Biden and especially Buttigieg are Conservatives then you are beyond the point of no return.

Buttigieg is far left

He wants to pack the courts with radical leftists and abolish the EC. His proposals would lead to us, becoming a nation, where the Democrats have perpetual rule, under a broad interpretation, can be called a one-party state, with the Democrats as that one party.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #465 on: May 14, 2019, 09:17:09 AM »

Buttigieg is far left

He wants to pack the courts with radical leftists and abolish the EC. His proposals would lead to us, becoming a nation, where the Democrats have perpetual rule, under a broad interpretation, can be called a one-party state, with the Democrats as that one party.

Stop, I can only give him so much support.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #466 on: May 14, 2019, 09:33:31 AM »

Buttigieg is far left

Yeah, silly me, I forgot that one-party rule, playing dirty to control the SC, and being far from the political center is a right reserved for Republicans only. Smiley
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #467 on: May 14, 2019, 02:35:36 PM »

Buttigieg is far left

I've asked this multiple times and still have not received an answer:

How is a proposal that a majority of the population supports (abolishing the Electoral College) "far left"?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #468 on: May 14, 2019, 02:38:47 PM »

How is a proposal that a majority of the population supports (abolishing the Electoral College) "far left"?

Cause it's detrimental to the far right.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #469 on: May 16, 2019, 06:04:24 PM »

Pete has released a page on his website detailing specific policy proposals and goals for a variety of issues.

This is a great step towards him solidifying himself as a serious contender.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #470 on: May 19, 2019, 01:05:00 PM »

Cause it's detrimental to the far right.

The funny thing is it really isn't. Sooner or later the electoral college will cause a Democrat to get elected President without winning the popular vote, which is what is ultimately going to be its downfall.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #471 on: May 19, 2019, 01:24:16 PM »

Pete has released a page on his website detailing specific policy proposals and goals for a variety of issues.

He's just paraphrasing the ideas of other candidates.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #472 on: May 19, 2019, 11:58:14 PM »

You've shown a pretty consistent inability to think impartially or critically on anything relating to Pete Buttigieg so perhaps you should respectfully never post in this thread again, lad.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #473 on: May 20, 2019, 12:47:42 AM »

You've shown a pretty consistent inability to think impartially or critically on anything relating to Pete Buttigieg so perhaps you should respectfully never post in this thread again, lad.

Ok, I'm the first one to call this guy out for his irrational pro-Kamala bias, but he's absolutely right about this.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #474 on: May 20, 2019, 03:04:44 AM »

This. There are quite a lot of ideas there to which he gave his own unique twist, like the SC, Voting Rights and expanding national service, and I love his healthcare position which has to be one of the most feasible and reasonable in the field. But even so, in the end of the day, we need someone who needs to communicate progressive ideas and get them passed, not someone who can wringle his big brain to find increasingly creative solutions just to look creative and smart. The solutions are out there- getting them passed and popular is the problem. I love Kamala, but her private healthcare gaffe worried me on this front.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies