Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 02:52:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137251 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: February 23, 2020, 04:49:46 AM »

Pete has nothing to be ashamed of. He was supposed to be an irrelevant and forgotten 0%er like Eric Swalwell or Michael Bennet. Instead he became a legitimate force in the primary and probably even won the first contest.

With that said, he clearly has no path to the nomination whatsoever. His candidacy has run its course and he should promptly drop out while still on a sort of high note.

Agreed, though strategically he should probably stay in a while longer to ensure a decent finish in the primary as a whole.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1676 on: February 23, 2020, 05:11:55 AM »

Wasn't Buttigieg's clique in the party spearheading the challenge to Pelosi?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1677 on: February 23, 2020, 10:22:07 AM »
« Edited: February 23, 2020, 02:36:13 PM by L.D. Smith »

Why the hell would anyone want Pelosi to stay on as Speaker? Impeachment was a disaster for Democrats, and the most memorable moment of her most recent term a petulant fit thrown on national television. She has been a millstone around the neck of Democrats in competitive districts for the past DECADE.

Who's better though right now? A lot of the good replacements gave up waiting, and what's left are those like Hoyer or Clyburn.

And what, are you suggesting Democrats could've picked up 60+ seats with someone else?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #1678 on: February 23, 2020, 10:46:20 AM »

Why the hell would anyone want Pelosi to stay on as Speaker? Impeachment was a disaster for Democrats, and the most memorable moment of her most recent term a petulant fit thrown on national television. She has been a millstone around the neck of Democrats in competitive districts for the past DECADE.

Impeachment was foisted on her by the party left, to make a statement or something. She was reluctant to even pursue it.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1679 on: February 23, 2020, 12:33:56 PM »

Impeachment was foisted on her by the party left, to make a statement or something. She was reluctant to even pursue it.

Yet she chose the terms on which it was eventually fought, and gave us an unmitigated disaster. Even if impeachment had to occur, pursuing when she did, in the way that she did, and for the reasons that she did was clearly her choice, and its failure is a failure of her leadership.

Impeachment was a moral imperative after Ukraine revelations, and it went as well as it was ever going to go. Republicans voted to acquit a President they admitted was guilty, and Mitt Romney crossed the aisle to be the first Senator to vote in favor of removing a President of their own party. No Speaker could have gotten the GOP's malign prophet removed.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1680 on: February 23, 2020, 12:50:31 PM »

I'd much rather have Pelosi in charge of getting the votes for the Democratic President's agenda than some untested newbie.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1681 on: February 23, 2020, 01:16:05 PM »

Yet she chose the terms on which it was eventually fought, and gave us an unmitigated disaster. Even if impeachment had to occur, pursuing when she did, in the way that she did, and for the reasons that she did was clearly her choice, and its failure is a failure of her leadership.

The terms on which it was fought were the best we were gonna get.  AOC was saying she was a corrupt sellout back in April because she wouldn't let them impeach over Mueller.  Al Green thumbed his nose in her face by submitting a resolution to impeach over the mean things he's said.  If you think this impeachment went bad, imagine an impeachment over the Mueller report or mean tweets, which is what the left wanted.

It feels like there's extreme gaslighting going on from the left over impeachment.  Pelosi stood strong in the face of a storm for months while the leftists were attacking her relentlessly for not impeaching Trump.  They even accused her of this weird conspiracy theory where she was secretly in league with Trump.  And now they're acting like it was all her idea in the first place.  FFS just a week before the Ukraine stuff came out, the squad was trying to impeach Kavanaugh!

Anyway you can go read my actual post from when impeachment started and I predicted everything that happened except the response from the left has been even dumber than I predicted.

We'll waste weeks rehashing stories that were already played out in the media while the media does #analysis of trivialities, both-sides it, and builds up false hope of actual impeachment.

Then it will pass (with some Democrats voting no) and go to the Senate, where it will fail (with some Democrats voting no).

Trump will declare himself cleared of all wrongdoing.  The media will declare it a great victory for him.  This will hurt Biden because now Trump has been "cleared" of wrongdoing in the Ukraine scandal.

Progressives will of course pretend that Manchin and Sinema singlehandedly kept Trump in office and blame Chuck Schumer for not doing more to bring in Republican impeachment votes.

That said, I think Pelosi's hand will eventually be forced on this, and it might be best to take the L now when there's still a year before the election for the public to forget about it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1682 on: February 23, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »

Pelosi had f**k all to do with Democrats gaining seats in 2018.

True. She also had f**k all to do with Democrats losing seats in 2010 and 2014.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1683 on: February 23, 2020, 03:17:47 PM »

No, the dethrone Pelosi crowd are almost entirely part of the Biden camp and have been for quite a while.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1684 on: February 23, 2020, 03:44:46 PM »

Dethrone Pelosi was Tim Ryan and Seth Moulton, who both ran for president.  I think they both endorsed Biden though.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1685 on: February 23, 2020, 05:32:33 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2020, 09:16:20 PM by 🌐 »

Went to a Pete rally today in Arlington. Turnout of over 10,000. He's going to do really well in NoVa on March 3.
Queen Isuelt
MissScarlett

« Reply #1686 on: February 23, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »

Went to a Pete rally today in Arlington. Turnout of 6k-8k. He's going to do really well in NoVa on March 3.

Ashamed of anyone who supports this fraud.

Might as well be a On a mailing list for every conman in America. He literally says nothing. He’s a complete fraud.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1687 on: February 23, 2020, 05:47:39 PM »

Went to a Pete rally today in Arlington. Turnout of 6k-8k. He's going to do really well in NoVa on March 3.

Ashamed of anyone who supports this fraud.

Might as well be a On a mailing list for every conman in America. He literally says nothing. He’s a complete fraud.
K
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1688 on: February 24, 2020, 02:21:19 AM »
« Edited: February 24, 2020, 02:25:31 AM by Chromium R Florida »

I've been watching the claims about Pete's Arlington rally size all day today. Seems like supporters take after their candidate in terms of blatantly embellishing the truth. Started out as 5k, then went to 6k, then 7.5k, then 9k, and now over 10k. Oh my!

I saw a full photo of the entire crowd, counted a sample of heads and did some basic geometry and perspective assessment to count: 5500 tops. That's still a great crowd! But given NoVA is basically the national capital for empty suits and generic platitudes, I don't see him topping this unless he becomes the frontrunner or holds a fundraiser rally in NYC.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1689 on: February 24, 2020, 03:56:38 PM »

No, the dethrone Pelosi crowd are almost entirely part of the Biden camp and have been for quite a while.

I happen to disagree with that assertion. I found that the dethrone Pelosi crowd was largely from the veterans' movement, which has leaned towards Buttigieg if anything. Most of these members in Congress (including its de facto leader) support Biden, but the infrastructure behind the movement seems to be leaning towards Pete.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1690 on: February 24, 2020, 05:35:15 PM »

When you're hungry for that black V

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1691 on: February 24, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »

I happen to disagree with that assertion. I found that the dethrone Pelosi crowd was largely from the veterans' movement, which has leaned towards Buttigieg if anything. Most of these members in Congress (including its de facto leader) support Biden, but the infrastructure behind the movement seems to be leaning towards Pete.

I think calling it a "movement" is a bit generous.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1692 on: February 24, 2020, 08:08:40 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2020, 08:12:31 PM by 🌐 »

I've been watching the claims about Pete's Arlington rally size all day today. Seems like supporters take after their candidate in terms of blatantly embellishing the truth. Started out as 5k, then went to 6k, then 7.5k, then 9k, and now over 10k. Oh my!

I saw a full photo of the entire crowd, counted a sample of heads and did some basic geometry and perspective assessment to count: 5500 tops. That's still a great crowd! But given NoVA is basically the national capital for empty suits and generic platitudes, I don't see him topping this unless he becomes the frontrunner or holds a fundraiser rally in NYC.
The count has been established at 9k, but was up in the air for a bit.. It was announced at 10k during the rally, but that was a rough estimate which has been revised down to 9k. The fire marshall cut off attendance inside the stadium at 6,500, but there were 2,500 just outside the rally. Also, he hit 8,500 in Denver the day before and should be able to break 10k in California before Super Tuesday.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1693 on: February 24, 2020, 08:26:36 PM »

Apparently Buttigieg staged a 9-year old coming out as gay at his speech today?
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1694 on: February 24, 2020, 08:30:40 PM »

Lmao link?
I literally searched and can’t find a single thing.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1695 on: February 24, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »

Lmao link?
I literally searched and can’t find a single thing.

S T A G E D
Warning: This post is currently hidden because it contains potentially inappropriate or sensitive content.
Click to show post
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1697 on: February 24, 2020, 10:19:26 PM »

I think calling it a "movement" is a bit generous.

I think it's a movement. It's not a majority, but it's certainly a sizable, growing force in the party.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1698 on: February 24, 2020, 10:54:07 PM »

The sad thing is Pete Buttigieg is not centrist. His social views are as far as Sanders and Warren for the most part. The two old folks from the Northeast have pushed the party so far left, that Buttigieg looks "moderate". The only two real moderate Dems are Biden and Klobuchar. Bloomberg is an outsider.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1699 on: February 24, 2020, 11:27:43 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies