Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:34:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 77
Author Topic: Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 127843 times)
Hollywood
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 10, 2019, 04:26:18 AM »

Kamala Harris will be SOS or Veep candidate

I agree.  I don't know how she wins the primary against Biden or Warren.  Like what state does she win?  She needs the executive experience, and the two white male candidates need diverse VP.  Kind of like the reverse Joe Biden. 
redjohn
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1501 on: August 10, 2019, 09:49:40 AM »

Kamala Harris will be SOS or Veep candidate

Another AIPAC shill is just who we need for SOS. Surely the next Dem President can do better.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1502 on: August 10, 2019, 12:51:57 PM »

Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1503 on: August 10, 2019, 01:15:43 PM »

I arrived at the Iowa State Fair just in time to miss her.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #1504 on: August 11, 2019, 03:28:57 AM »

Kamala Harris certainly has many things going for her but having personally observed elections since the 1960s, I would say that as a presidential candidate, she is flawed in a number of ways, including (1) insufficient likeability and (2) the tendency to come across as overly harsh and angry/mean-spirited. Those qualities don't lead to a presidential candidate getting enough votes to be elected.

Rolling out the usual tropes against female candidates I see.

No, it's just by coincidence that Elizabeth Warren, Kirsten Gillibrand and Amy Klobuchar are said to suffer from the same problems.

Tulsi Gabbard is hot, so she's not harsh, angry or mean-spirited.

Nah, she's pretty mean-spirited...she just happens to be office seeking for Uncle Joe rather than actually trying to run.

You don't run for President without a little mean-streak.

Try telling that to Marianne.

Yeah that's a weird criticism. I dislike Harris as a politician and on policy, but I'd say she comes off as one of the most personable candidates.

I would agree. If we're 'rolling out the usual tropes,' I would not have applied them to Harris, or even to Warren. Gillibrand and Klobuchar, yes.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1505 on: August 11, 2019, 03:26:16 PM »

Harris was on the Ron Burgundy podcast a few days ago (skip to about the 8 minute mark for the part with Harris):

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/the-ron-burgundy-podcast-30270227/
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1506 on: August 11, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »

Yeah that's a weird criticism. I dislike Harris as a politician and on policy, but I'd say she comes off as one of the most personable candidates.

Strongly disagree
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1507 on: August 11, 2019, 09:39:44 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2019, 10:04:32 PM by Da2017 »

Honestly, among the major candidates, Warren is the only one whom I would describe as "personable." You have to go down the list to Cory Booker or Andrew Yang to find other candidates that seem like pleasant people with whom to spend time.

Biden and Sanders come across as pompous grouches. Sanders embraces it, and that mostly works for him, but Biden more often comes across as someone affecting an affability that isn't really there any more.

Harris talks to voters in tones that resemble how some adults talk to kindergartners whom they have judged to be particularly dimwitted.

Once you've seen Pete Buttigieg as a Patrick Bateman figure, you can't unsee it.

Beto O'Rourke exudes a nervous energy that I associate with many of the more obnoxious Evangelical Christians and campus organizing types. You get the sense that it's difficult to withdraw from a conversation with him gracefully. If you saw him around town, you would be tempted to cross the street to avoid a "quick hello."

Booker robs a lot of people the wrong way. He needs to be himself. No wonder he is not getting any traction.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1508 on: August 12, 2019, 02:48:36 AM »

Harris talks to voters in tones that resemble how some adults talk to kindergartners whom they have judged to be particularly dimwitted.

Get ready for a certain D-PA avatar to jump into this thread saying that it's racist to call a strong black woman in a position of power "condescending," or that it plays into harmful sexist stereotypes, or something.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1509 on: August 12, 2019, 05:59:51 AM »

I'd actually consider Harris very personable. Warren is the one that sounds like she talks down to you IMO, but that's just me.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #1510 on: August 12, 2019, 07:59:09 AM »

I'd actually consider Harris very personable. Warren is the one that sounds like she talks down to you IMO, but that's just me.

I think most would agree with you.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1511 on: August 12, 2019, 09:33:20 AM »

I'd say both Harris and Warren suffer from sounding a bit condescending.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1512 on: August 12, 2019, 10:05:29 AM »

The only condescending top tier candidate is Bernie Sanders. Harris and Warren are just fine when speaking to voters.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1513 on: August 12, 2019, 10:15:16 AM »

Harris spoke passed the homeless people in LA when she came down from SF.

Gavin Newsom is getting together with Garcertti to speak about homeless shelters and affordable housing. Harris skipped passed that and went on Talk Show
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #1514 on: August 12, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »

Honestly, among the major candidates, Warren is the only one whom I would describe as "personable." You have to go down the list to Cory Booker or Andrew Yang to find other candidates that seem like pleasant people with whom to spend time.

Biden and Sanders come across as pompous grouches. Sanders embraces it, and that mostly works for him, but Biden more often comes across as someone affecting an affability that isn't really there any more.

Once you've seen Pete Buttigieg as a Patrick Bateman figure, you can't unsee it.

Beto O'Rourke exudes a nervous energy that I associate with many of the more obnoxious Evangelical Christians and campus organizing types. You get the sense that it's difficult to withdraw from a conversation with him gracefully. If you saw him around town, you would be tempted to cross the street to avoid a "quick hello."
Gabbard seems personable in my opinion too.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1515 on: August 12, 2019, 02:47:47 PM »

Gavin Newsom is getting together with Garcertti to speak about homeless shelters and affordable housing. Harris skipped passed that and went on Talk Show

What is this, some kind of stupid gotcha?  Is she supposed to go visit people in their tents every time she goes to a west coast city?
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1516 on: August 12, 2019, 04:28:15 PM »

I'd say both Harris and Warren suffer from sounding a bit condescending.

That's probably an issue on your end
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1517 on: August 12, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »

What is this, some kind of stupid gotcha?  Is she supposed to go visit people in their tents every time she goes to a west coast city?

Don't bother attempting communication with Olowakandi. He is not of this earth.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1518 on: August 12, 2019, 04:38:12 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2019, 04:48:52 PM by Cory Booker »

What is this, some kind of stupid gotcha?  Is she supposed to go visit people in their tents every time she goes to a west coast city?

No, I didnt say go to tents, I said get together with Gavin Newsom and Garcetti to talk about affordable housing.  She hasnt bothered to do that.

Its urban poverty, California is the greatest state to live and the most expensive state, but has the highest homelessness populations. Dems shouldn't be afraid to talk about urban poverty. SF has doubled in homelessness.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1519 on: August 12, 2019, 11:41:39 PM »

What is this, some kind of stupid gotcha?  Is she supposed to go visit people in their tents every time she goes to a west coast city?

No, I didnt say go to tents, I said get together with Gavin Newsom and Garcetti to talk about affordable housing.  She hasnt bothered to do that.

Its urban poverty, California is the greatest state to live and the most expensive state, but has the highest homelessness populations. Dems shouldn't be afraid to talk about urban poverty. SF has doubled in homelessness.

Tea.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1520 on: August 13, 2019, 02:30:05 AM »

California in particular has a large number of unsheltered homeless people, 90k. Compare to 4k for New York State.

In fact, California has 47% of all unsheltered homeless people for the entire country.
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/08/02/trump-slams-california-homelessness-numbers-support/
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1521 on: August 13, 2019, 03:03:40 AM »

I just said that Harris elected Senator of Cali, first and then run for Prez. She went on a media blitz on HOLLYWOOD talk shows; while Garcetti and Newson are talking about urban poverty. Voters are watching. But, she would make a good SOS in Biden cabinet
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1522 on: August 13, 2019, 05:34:35 AM »

I actually think her Iowa visit did a lot to help her case and made me really excited about her candidacy again.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #1523 on: August 13, 2019, 06:10:12 AM »

I actually think her Iowa visit did a lot to help her case and made me really excited about her candidacy again.

I heard opinion on CNN few days ago that Iowa caucus will be absolutely crucial for Dems primaries, it'll show how deep and how committed Biden support is (we don't know this yet).
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1524 on: August 13, 2019, 06:00:57 PM »

Sure, but there's no political reason for them to call attention to California's homelessness problem. What's in it for Harris, aside from appealing to California voters (who will vote D even if the Democrats nominate Ted Bundy)? This state's homelessness problem is the direct result of byzantine land development laws, rent control, and a high cost of living, all of which have developed due to Democratic policies while Democrats controlled California's government. Pointing out the failings of left-wing economics in her home state will earn Harris nothing but negative attention.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies