Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:31:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 77
Author Topic: Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 127351 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: March 25, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »

Her advantage as well Biden's, whom both have the same voters, Lawyers are electable

Biden's coalition is vastly different from Kamala's core voter base. Old baby boomers are crazy about Joe Biden's run, it's the Obama coalition of 2008 that's made up of young people and minorities who are enthusiastic of Kamala candidacy.

This is correct.  Kamala's base and Biden's base are almost polar opposites in terms of the space they occupy in the Democratic primary electorate.

From what I can see, Harris appeals to the same base as roughly O'Rourke does. That is going to be her big fight. The question is do they split the centre-left vote enough for Sanders or Biden to swoop in at the last second?

I could be wrong of course. Usually I'm pretty dumb.

That's not how I read things, but your sense of the race is probably more accurate than mine.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #701 on: March 25, 2019, 09:08:21 PM »

Her advantage as well Biden's, whom both have the same voters, Lawyers are electable

Biden's coalition is vastly different from Kamala's core voter base. Old baby boomers are crazy about Joe Biden's run, it's the Obama coalition of 2008 that's made up of young people and minorities who are enthusiastic of Kamala candidacy.

Except that the “Obama coalition of 2008” is by definition not really young anymore - All the young from then are in their thirties now.
Yes but there is still Late Gen Y (aka Millennials) and Early Gen Z (those born around 1994-2002). I am apart of this cohort.
SCNCmod

« Reply #702 on: March 26, 2019, 05:48:54 AM »

I don't really think Biden & Kamala have the same base- really at all.

But, Kamala is by far the biggest threat to Biden- due to SC.  I think Biden & Kamala will end up losing Iowa, NH, and NV.  Making SC his must win for both of them.  And considering 61% of the SC Primary electorate is AA, Biden will likely have an uphill battle vs Kamala.

(This is part of the reason I have a small conspiracy theory of Abrams all of a sudden saying she hasn't ruled out getting in the primary.  The theory being Biden's team thinking that 1 way to weaken Kamala's support in SC is to get neighboring state candidate Abrams in the race.  With the agreement to pick Abrams as VP when Biden wins the nominations.  Granted, I think once Abrams thinks this through- or thought this through, she would realize that Biden is going to be weaker in the Primaries than his current numbers show- and she is much better running for Senate, which she probably has a good chance of winning).
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #703 on: March 26, 2019, 06:32:48 AM »

But, Kamala is by far the biggest threat to Biden- due to SC.  I think Biden & Kamala will end up losing Iowa, NH, and NV.  Making SC his must win for both of them.  And considering 61% of the SC Primary electorate is AA, Biden will likely have an uphill battle vs Kamala.

(This is part of the reason I have a small conspiracy theory of Abrams all of a sudden saying she hasn't ruled out getting in the primary.  The theory being Biden's team thinking that 1 way to weaken Kamala's support in SC is to get neighboring state candidate Abrams in the race.  With the agreement to pick Abrams as VP when Biden wins the nominations.  Granted, I think once Abrams thinks this through- or thought this through, she would realize that Biden is going to be weaker in the Primaries than his current numbers show- and she is much better running for Senate, which she probably has a good chance of winning).

Would it be more accurate to say that Beto and Kamala appeal to roughly the same type of voter?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #704 on: March 26, 2019, 06:39:32 AM »

It’s hard to pinpoint the bases that Harris and O’Rourke each have since their bases are pretty small, atm. However, from what I can tell O’Rourke does better with white voters (+ other voters) without a college degree (therefore doing a little better among younger voters) while Harris is the opposite doing better with whites (and other voters) with a college degree (and a little better with older voters).
SCNCmod

« Reply #705 on: March 26, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »

Would it be more accurate to say that Beto and Kamala appeal to roughly the same type of voter?

I agree with others who think its sort of hard to tell which candidates are sharing similar bases, etc, due to the number candidates in the race.  But I tend to not think Beto & Kamala have much of an overlapping base.  I do think that Biden's base is somewhat bifurcated- with part of them open to supporting Beto... and a different part of them open to supporting Kamala.  But I think in general, the overwhelming majority of voters are pretty fluid at this point.  Bernie probably has the only fairly stable base (around 15%)- but I also think that Bernie is less likely to pick-up a large number of voters- since ppl already know him so well & he has such definitive views, seems like they would already be on the Bernie train if they were inclined to support him this election.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #706 on: March 26, 2019, 03:55:02 PM »

I agree with others who think its sort of hard to tell which candidates are sharing similar bases, etc, due to the number candidates in the race.  But I tend to not think Beto & Kamala have much of an overlapping base.  I do think that Biden's base is somewhat bifurcated- with part of them open to supporting Beto... and a different part of them open to supporting Kamala.  But I think in general, the overwhelming majority of voters are pretty fluid at this point.  Bernie probably has the only fairly stable base (around 15%)- but I also think that Bernie is less likely to pick-up a large number of voters- since ppl already know him so well & he has such definitive views, seems like they would already be on the Bernie train if they were inclined to support him this election.

I totally agree.  I've argued for a long time that Bernie basically has no way to top his 2016 performance--he's so well known that his base is set and he's not going to win the anti-frontrunner protest vote like he did three years ago.  Ironically, there's a glass ceiling over his head he has no way of breaking through. 
GAProgressive
Rookie

« Reply #707 on: March 26, 2019, 04:08:39 PM »

I totally agree.  I've argued for a long time that Bernie basically has no way to top his 2016 performance--he's so well known that his base is set and he's not going to win the anti-frontrunner protest vote like he did three years ago.  Ironically, there's a glass ceiling over his head he has no way of breaking through. 

But he has every chance of forcing a brokered convention, something he had no way of pulling off in '16.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #708 on: March 26, 2019, 05:10:29 PM »

But he has every chance of forcing a brokered convention, something he had no way of pulling off in '16.

That's a possibility, but I think it's unlikely.  There have been crowded fields before (1992, 2004, 2008) and inevitably one or two candidates separate themselves from the pack and someone locks down the nomination well before the convention.  I think it's likely that 2020 will be no different.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #709 on: March 26, 2019, 06:07:17 PM »

Klobuchar actually shared Kamala's teacher plan, praising it.

https://twitter.com/amyklobuchar/status/1110640493912829952
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #710 on: March 26, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #711 on: March 26, 2019, 06:22:23 PM »

Well, obviously I'm intrigued by this idea, but I'd like to know more about how she plans to implement this.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #712 on: March 26, 2019, 06:31:37 PM »
« Edited: March 26, 2019, 07:30:48 PM by Lou Barletta's Teeth »

Kamala's policy proposals have been pretty solid so far. First the LIFT act and now this.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #713 on: March 26, 2019, 06:50:47 PM »

Kamala's policy proposal have been pretty solid so far. First the LIFT act and now this.

But she's just the identity politics candidate.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #714 on: March 26, 2019, 08:05:58 PM »

Kamala's policy proposal have been pretty solid so far. First the LIFT act and now this.

\\

Ha ha. That candidate to me is Gillibrand.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #715 on: March 26, 2019, 08:06:48 PM »

Kamala's policy proposals have been pretty solid so far. First the LIFT act and now this.

Not sure why she's getting praise for something fairly common sense. Have any other candidates proposed something similar?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #716 on: March 26, 2019, 08:50:00 PM »

Nice to see some new policy proposals from someone other than Warren, I must admit.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #717 on: March 26, 2019, 08:58:23 PM »

If you read through the teacher proposal, it too is littered with identity politics giveaways.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #718 on: March 26, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »

If you read through the teacher proposal, it too is littered with identity politics giveaways.

"Everything I don't like is IP"
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #719 on: March 26, 2019, 09:06:13 PM »

"Everything I don't like is IP"

A federal program giving money for professor recruitment with 50% mandated to go toward HBCUs only is 100% identity politics.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #720 on: March 26, 2019, 09:40:20 PM »

Not sure why she's getting praise for something fairly common sense. Have any other candidates proposed something similar?
This is so petty lol. Just say you don't like her and call it a day.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #721 on: March 26, 2019, 10:20:25 PM »

Bernie could promise to sign an EO making all wars illegal and he would sh*t his pants in excitement.

I asked a question if any other candidates had a similar policy and you both dodged the question (either that or just ignored it; not ruling either out). If not, then good for her.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #722 on: March 26, 2019, 10:27:14 PM »

Bernie could promise to sign an EO making all wars illegal and he would sh*t his pants in excitement.

I asked a question if any other candidates had a similar policy and you both dodged the question (either that or just ignored it; not ruling either out). If not, then good for her.
Your post was passive aggressive. She comes out with a good policy and your response “oh please that’s common sense” well considering the fact that it’s not law it must not be? LOL. You can acknowledge that candidates other than your favorite one have good policy positions. You won’t spontaneously combust.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #723 on: March 26, 2019, 10:29:31 PM »

Your post was passive aggressive. She comes out with a good policy and your response “oh please that’s common sense” well considering the fact that it’s not law it must not be? LOL. You can acknowledge that candidates other than your favorite one have good policy positions. You won’t spontaneously combust.

To be honest, I kinda did. It is a common sense policy, and if no other candidate has proposed something similar in the past, then clearly they're lacking in that department.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #724 on: March 27, 2019, 12:48:29 AM »

Kamala's teacher pay policy has even received the endorsement of Klobuchar lol
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to: