Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 13, 2024, 03:03:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 77
Author Topic: Kamala Harris 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 128263 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: January 22, 2019, 03:20:20 PM »

Random anecdotal fact: a self-identified independent Republican friend of mine who supported Romney in 2012 and Clinton in 2016 (although he said his top choice for President was Paul Ryan) just posted on Facebook that he is endorsing Harris for 2020.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2019, 03:24:22 PM »

That is a large bounty for Harris. Good sign for her later campaign, bad sign for Warren and Gillibrand. I would like to see what Sanders and Biden get if they jump in as well.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #252 on: January 22, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »

Another random fact: If she's elected, we would have one President of the United States born on the exact same date than another one died: Kamala Harris was born on October 20, 1964. On this day, Herbert Hoover, another president from California, passed away.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #253 on: January 22, 2019, 04:20:21 PM »

Another random fact: If she's elected, we would have one President of the United States born on the exact same date than another one died: Kamala Harris was born on October 20, 1964. On this day, Herbert Hoover, another president from California, passed away.

Hopefully not Hoover reborn
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2019, 04:42:45 PM »

Much of what I've feared has come to light. I knew there were two was this would go, but it would appear she's already down the path to Rubot.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/01/how-kamala-harris-running-against-2020-democrats/580921/

Also, at least Obama was the anti-war candidate.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »

She could be. We will have to see. My hope is that Harris gets defeated in the Democratic primary. As I've outlined above, she is not deserving of the highest office in the land.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2019, 04:58:29 PM »

She could be. We will have to see. My hope is that Harris gets defeated in the Democratic primary. As I've outlined above, she is not deserving of the highest office in the land.

I think you've said enough, troll.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2019, 04:59:55 PM »

You being a misogynist does not make Harris unfit for office. 
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #258 on: January 22, 2019, 05:05:11 PM »

Most of American presidents didn't deserved (from various reasons) that office, but they did get it somehow. In an American elections (not only presidential) don't goes about who deserves the most this or that electable office, but about other factors like who has the most money for campaign, who has the most media (traditional or social) hype and coverage or who has the most powerful principals behind their candidatures.

That is a large bounty for Harris. Good sign for her later campaign, bad sign for Warren and Gillibrand. I would like to see what Sanders and Biden get if they jump in as well.

If Harris will get up more steam, it may be too late for Bernie and Joe to weigh in.
ViaActiva

« Reply #259 on: January 22, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »

100% this.

I knew this thread would be frustrating. Can we give the woman a chance to actually campaign? Hell, she's having a town hall on CNN next week. It's ridiculous to already dismiss her as an "unelectable, neoliberal, SJW, identity politics-loving, coastal elitist, *insert other nebulous, arbitrary, buzzword of your choice here.*

I for one am definitely inclined to support her and Gillibrand the most, so far. I'm a bit torn between them, but I'll make up my mind as the primary campaign trudges on, I'm sure...or at least until (or if) Beto starts campaigning for the nomination.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2019, 05:09:27 PM »

You being a misogynist does not make Harris unfit for office. 

This is a baseless and false claim. I've expressed my support for Klobuchar before, and she is the candidate who I would prefer that Democrats nominate. Moreover, I've also expressed admiration for personages such as Nikki Haley, and wouldn't have a problem voting for her if she launched a presidential bid in the future. My opposition to Harris is not just grounded upon her morals, both personally and professionally, but is also grounded on my concerns about her experience and her competence.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2019, 05:09:42 PM »

Congrats. You and Bill O'Reilly can talk about it together.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2019, 05:12:11 PM »

What vile connotation are you seeking to draw by comparing me with Bill O'Reilly? Democratic posters on here seem to be adept at thinking the worst about people.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2019, 05:16:29 PM »

What vile connotation are you seeking to draw by comparing me with Bill O'Reilly? Democratic posters on here seem to be adept at thinking the worst about people.
He already said he wasn't supporting Harris either, not to anyone's surprise ofc. What I'm really saying is no cares what you think about her.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2019, 05:18:56 PM »

He already said he wasn't supporting Harris either, not to anyone's surprise ofc. What I'm really saying is no cares what you think about her.

That is fine. I'm not surprised you guys wouldn't care. You have proclaimed Harris to be the new "Goddess of the Democratic Party" and have set up an idol of worship in her honor, to which all are obliged to pay their respects and to perform the rituals of submission.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2019, 05:28:05 PM »

That is fine. I'm not surprised you guys wouldn't care. You have proclaimed Harris to be the new "Goddess of the Democratic Party" and have set up an idol of worship in her honor, to which all are obliged to pay their respects and to perform the rituals of submission.

You say that for literally every D candidate Roll Eyes and its still never true, as this thread itself proves.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2019, 05:30:58 PM »

Harris's campaign says they raised $1.5 million in the first 24 hours since the announcement:

Is that a lot?

It matches the one day total of Sanders from four years ago:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kamala-harris-raised-dollar15-million-online-in-just-the-first-day-of-her-campaign

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Also:

I was really impressed by this, Kamala Harris appears to be very much real.  Average donation $37.  It'd be interesting to know what the median donation was vis a vis Sanders' best one-day take (i.e., does she have a cluster of mega donations and a bunch of $1 or $5 dollar donations as opposed to Sanders' take which was almost all small dollar).  Either way, she clearly has a lot of fans.

Starting to get worried, because I believe if the economy is bad enough and Trump's scandals are bad enough anyone can win, and we need a transformational President like Sanders or Warren.  Though Harris is probably the best candidate in most regards of the contenders in establishment liberal lane, and would probably be a better President than both Clinton and Obama.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2019, 05:31:53 PM »

You say that for literally every D candidate Roll Eyes and its still never true, as this thread itself proves.

False. Have you not seen what I just said about Klobuchar? I've also had positive things to say for people like Biden and Bullock, and would vote for them if they became the nominee.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2019, 05:35:52 PM »

False. Have you not seen what I just said about Klobuchar? I've also had positive things to say for people like Biden and Bullock, and would vote for them if they became the nominee.

....thats not even what I was addressing.....

You always say the D candidate, from Biden, to Beto, to Harris, is some ""God dess of the Democratic Party"" and that the Ds worship them and wont listen to outside criticisms and so on and so on. Literally, you use the exact same language every time.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2019, 05:38:38 PM »

....thats not even what I was addressing.....

You always say the D candidate, from Biden, to Beto, to Harris, is some ""God dess of the Democratic Party"" and that the Ds worship them and wont listen to outside criticisms and so on and so on. Literally, you use the exact same language every time.

I have never said the sort about Biden. Now, I did call O'Rourke the "new John Kennedy", but that's an apt description of him, and the following which he has mustered from among the Democratic base. Harris is being treated by many in the same way. I've also emphasized the need for ideological diversity within the Party-hence my support for Lipinski, Manchin, and Sinema, among others. So as you can see, I am perfectly willing to support a Democratic candidate, but only so long as I am comfortable with them. And I am perfectly willing to vote for a competent and good nominee who can defeat President Trump. But I'm also willing to vote third-party, if the Democratic nominee is terrible, or for Trump if extreme circumstances warrant it. I am not restricted in how I vote, unlike many on here.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2019, 05:44:12 PM »

I think the logo is dreadful but I tossed her $33 for a shirt (the black/yellow/red one). I like the color scheme a lot more than Warren's.

$1.5 million has to be one of the largest day one contribution amounts of all time. Not sure if these records are tracked, but if so, its gotta be at least top five. Warren and Gillibrand didn't even boast about theirs until the 3-5 day mark.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »

I think the logo is dreadful but I tossed her $33 for a shirt (the black/yellow/red one). I like the color scheme a lot more than Warren's.

$1.5 million has to be one of the largest day one contribution amounts of all time. Not sure if these records are tracked, but if so, its gotta be at least top five. Warren and Gillibrand didn't even boast about theirs until the 3-5 day mark.

Actually, its tied for the largest. Sanders, when he first announced in 2015, got 1.5$ million as well. I think Sanders did get a bit more, but Im not sure.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2019, 06:04:30 PM »

Has Harris every actually done anything to connect with the black community?

They might consider her but Booker has been much more a pro black candidate.

She comes from San Francisco/Bay area which is mostly white and asian. Only a few black people are there. Meanwhile Booker comes from heavily black Newark so he has some idea on how to connect to black candidates

On criminal justice issues she was not a great candidate for the black community as she had many harsh policies as AG. Meanwhile Booker was one of the largest proponents of CJ reform working strongly with Rand Paul

Booker has also shown much more aptness to visit deep south states atm so this also helps him.

And no having an affair with Willie Brown does not count as connecting with the black community
She attended Howard University, which is one of the best HBCUs in the country. Anyways, Kamala is from Oakland.

Oakland has a sizable Black population. Also, The Black Panther Party started in Oakland.

She was born in Oakland, but raised in the very white Quebec by her single Indian mother. Sure she went to Howard, but her career as a prosecutor and her interracial marriage will get her a lot more questions about her connection to the black community than Barack Obama who was a former community organizer with a black family.

If this is the sort of campaign "progressives" for Bernie or for whoever plan on running they are only going to make themselves look bad. Questioning who blackness is a recipe for helping her more than anything.

What the previous poster is trying to say is that, correctly if I may add, that Harris doesnt have many ties to the AA community, and hell, we dont know how well she will preform with African Americans, we are all just making assumptions that she will do well. We wont know until a year's time, but there isnt much to point towards Harris doing well with the demographic currently.

The thing is the previous poster is wrong. She didn’t grow up in Canada.. she grew up in Oakland. It’s also incredibly bizarre to claim a Howard graduate doesn’t have many ties to the black community.... btw she was literally there today, first stop as she launched her campaign...

If she was raised in Canads or only went to highschool in Canada is less important than her record as a prosecutor, particularly her stances on 3 strikes, marijuana and truancy laws.

Of course, but I am not the one saying it matters, I simply corrected you because what you said is not true, it’s a bit strange that it’s no longer important when you literally just used it to argue against her candidacy... this is starting to sound like the whole Obama isn’t black enough stuff that went on when he was running.

Whether you like it or not, if her identity as a black woman will be a central part of Harris' camapign she better be ready to answers those who question her connections to the black community. Whatever her relationship with Canada is will be a part of that, as I've seen it mentioned several times in the past few weeks.

The reason I mentioned Obama's history as a community organizer and his family in my oringal comment was to acknowledge that he also faced these questions during his 08 campaign, but had those two advantages.

The difference between now and then is that there's a growing number of young black voters who feel as though the issues facing the black community are the least prioritized by the Democratic Party. Having a strong platform to help solve those issues will be asked of every candidate, including the ones I plan on supporting in the primaries. Simply being black or going to Howard probably won't cut it.

I get that. And I agree. But you embellished Harris background by claiming she didn’t grow up in Oakland. I understand disliking a candidate but still let’s stick to the facts. Or we are no better than trump supporters who have already started a birthed movement on her.
Also she worked on Jesse Jackson presidential campaign and co chaired Obama 08 campaign she’s memtored tons of young black women in SF over decades and has been very active in the community in that sense. This assumption you have that she hasn’t got strong ties to the black community suggests you been misinformed and or didn’t really look into her background before forming an opinion.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2019, 06:10:04 PM »

Kamala Harris worked for Jesse Jackson's campaign?!?  That's a very positive sign in my book, makes me a little less suspicious of her.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2019, 08:08:55 PM »

Of course, this is a satirical piece by The Onion. But, I bet most of you initially clicked this thread not that surprised by the allegations.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 77  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies