Karen Pence returns to teaching at anti-LBGTQ school
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:04:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Karen Pence returns to teaching at anti-LBGTQ school
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Karen Pence returns to teaching at anti-LBGTQ school  (Read 7023 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 09:03:04 AM »

Christian schools have every right to hold students and faculty to Biblical standards of conduct.  That's why they're in business.  I'm sure that if a student came to a Christian school and recruited for Stormfront, they'd be expelled, and that's within the perogative of a Christian school.  This school will not allow for homosexual behavior or advocacy of same.  That's their perogative. 
Why are you so certain about this? Such activities would not contradict a "biblical lifestyle". In fact depending on the interpretation of the Curse of Ham, they would be entirely in line with biblical teaching.
Absolute nonsense.

I'm not going to comment on some extremist academy you might find in some obscure place, but 99% of Christian schools would not put up with this, nor would they consider this in line with Biblical teaching. 

Posts like this are pure propaganda, repeating a falsehood to where it will seem real to some who don't know better.
Your outrage seems misplaced since blatantly racist policies were enforced by some Christian academies not that long ago. Obviously they didn't see any contradiction with Biblical teaching.

And honestly accusing others others of propaganda (incorrectly), when so many of you posts are nothing but blatant Bible bashing it quite hypocritical
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »

Christian schools have every right to hold students and faculty to Biblical standards of conduct.  That's why they're in business.  I'm sure that if a student came to a Christian school and recruited for Stormfront, they'd be expelled, and that's within the perogative of a Christian school.  This school will not allow for homosexual behavior or advocacy of same.  That's their perogative. 
Why are you so certain about this? Such activities would not contradict a "biblical lifestyle". In fact depending on the interpretation of the Curse of Ham, they would be entirely in line with biblical teaching.
Absolute nonsense.

I'm not going to comment on some extremist academy you might find in some obscure place, but 99% of Christian schools would not put up with this, nor would they consider this in line with Biblical teaching. 

Posts like this are pure propaganda, repeating a falsehood to where it will seem real to some who don't know better.
Your outrage seems misplaced since blatantly racist policies were enforced by some Christian academies not that long ago. Obviously they didn't see any contradiction with Biblical teaching.

And honestly accusing others others of propaganda (incorrectly), when so many of you posts are nothing but blatant Bible bashing it quite hypocritical

But there's nothing in the Bible that advocates white supremacy.  And such racist attitudes among Christians were often limited to certain geographical areas.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2019, 10:01:26 AM »

Absolute nonsense.

That 99% you so blithely claim would have been more like 50/50 less than 60 years ago, and a distinct minority south of the Mason-Dixon line. Please don't rewrite history as if the word of God was not actively and widely used as an excuse to forestall interracial marriage.

The word of God is eternal, fuzzy, but Humanity's misuse and misunderstanding of it is likewise timeless, and constantly needs to be struggled against.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 10:43:19 AM »

Absolute nonsense.

But there's nothing in the Bible that advocates white supremacy.  And such racist attitudes among Christians were often limited to certain geographical areas.
No, there isn't. But there also isn't anything that would proscribe white supremacy, unlike homosexuality. This is why Fuzzy's comparison between the two was invalid.

And as I pointed out above, many have interpreted the Curse of Ham (who is considered to have been the ancestor of the Afrikans) as carrying on to his descendants and thus justifying discrimination against them.

And the "certain geographic areas" covered the whole of the southern United States.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »

Who care.  Mrs. Pence is a private citizen and can do as she pleases. 
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2019, 01:53:49 PM »

Pence is turning out to be a stellar VP pick. I didn't like him at first, but this is the restoration of family values this country needed.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »

Absolute nonsense.

That 99% you so blithely claim would have been more like 50/50 less than 60 years ago, and a distinct minority south of the Mason-Dixon line. Please don't rewrite history as if the word of God was not actively and widely used as an excuse to forestall interracial marriage.

The word of God is eternal, fuzzy, but Humanity's misuse and misunderstanding of it is likewise timeless, and constantly needs to be struggled against.

If people did this, they were incorrect, and not on sound Scriptural ground. 

And stating that Scripture does not condone homosexual activity is the truth.  If people have problems dealing with that, so be it.  Most people come to a point in their lives when they have to choose between God and their own likes, ideals, etc. 

Churches are made of imperfect folks.  I'm well aware of Pastors that were hirelings of the mill owners in South Carolina that preached the evil of unions, etc.  Man is corruptible, but the Word of God is Eternal, and it is clear on the subject of homosexuality.  No matter what you say.  And no matter what you may wish that would make your argument easier to make.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2019, 10:05:20 PM »

Absolute nonsense.

To some people, Law trumps Grace, unfortunately.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2019, 12:27:49 AM »

I'm not going to say that the Bible condones homosexual activity. Because it doesn't.  Scripture says what it says, and if I'm dissonance in the Echo Chamber, so be it.   

In 20-30 years, when your denomination sanctions gay marriage and even your particular church building performs them, you'll find some contrivance for how you were never actually wrong and the church isn't now either. Maybe a long string of paragraphs about how Muslims were always worse to the gays or something.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2019, 01:27:36 AM »

I'm not going to say that the Bible condones homosexual activity. Because it doesn't.  Scripture says what it says, and if I'm dissonance in the Echo Chamber, so be it.   

In 20-30 years, when your denomination sanctions gay marriage and even your particular church building performs them, you'll find some contrivance for how you were never actually wrong and the church isn't now either. Maybe a long string of paragraphs about how Muslims were always worse to the gays or something.

Ding ding ding ding ding ding! Correct answer.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2019, 04:28:49 AM »

The legality of gay marriage may well be a settled issue for my lifetime, as the legality of abortion appears to be.  The acceptability and moral correctness of those issues is most certainly not settled, however.  At least not on Earth.  These issues ARE most certainly settled in Heaven, however, and certainly not in the manner of Supreme Court rulings. 

I'm not going to say that the Bible condones homosexual activity.  Because it doesn't.  Scripture says what it says, and if I'm dissonance in the Echo Chamber, so be it.

People's Freedom of Expression is limited all the time.  And lawfully so.  People don't get to wear their Stormfront T-shirts to work on Casual Day, and rightfully so.

She couldn't get a job at one of DC's many public schools?

Or does Karen Pence just not think black children are as deserving of learning about art?

Perhaps Karen Pence wishes to be part of bringing up children in the fear and admonition of the Lord, and not be part of infusing them with secular doctrines that have, as far as I am concerned, damaged the institution of the nuclear family to tragic levels.

Ok, these posts are crossing the line for me. I don't care how many paragraphs you write, this is horrendous. Disgusting. Abhorrent. Offensive. Should I find more words to describe how bad these posts are? First of all, you compared my very f**king existence to nazis. TWICE. Seems like it's a comparison you believe in very strongly. Second, you keep frevently claiming that me, we, millions of wonderful people, are ammoral, our very existence is a tragedy, that barring us from a school would somehow make it BETTER. No, I don't care how "respectful" you sound saying that. I don't care if you excuse your hateful and loathing views with a line in the old testament. These posts are some of the worst I've seen on Atlas and are truly loathsome.

But, at least I know that these views are rapidly disappearing from our earth, and that you'll continue to be part of an increasingly small, bitter and irrelevant minority. While we finally gain our rights and our freedom.

But Freedom of Religion! Freedom of Expression! Blah, blah, blah! Because, you know, those rights make it okay to limit everyone else's.

Folks. It's a matter of good and evil. It really is that simple, I'm sorry to say.

Yep, absolutely agreed.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »

Absolute nonsense.

No, there isn't. But there also isn't anything that would proscribe white supremacy, unlike homosexuality. This is why Fuzzy's comparison between the two was invalid.

And as I pointed out above, many have interpreted the Curse of Ham (who is considered to have been the ancestor of the Afrikans) as carrying on to his descendants and thus justifying discrimination against them.

And the "certain geographic areas" covered the whole of the southern United States.

Good thing the Southern United States has never been the only place where Christianity has existed.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »

I know very little about Pentecostals, so I have no idea if there is a powerful pro-LGBT movement within that denomination.  However, I have little doubt that in 20-30 years Bible believing Christians will be very unpopular.  Anyone who still identifies as such won't care about social pressure at that point I think.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2019, 09:31:13 AM »

The legality of gay marriage may well be a settled issue for my lifetime, as the legality of abortion appears to be.  The acceptability and moral correctness of those issues is most certainly not settled, however.  At least not on Earth.  These issues ARE most certainly settled in Heaven, however, and certainly not in the manner of Supreme Court rulings. 

I'm not going to say that the Bible condones homosexual activity.  Because it doesn't.  Scripture says what it says, and if I'm dissonance in the Echo Chamber, so be it.

People's Freedom of Expression is limited all the time.  And lawfully so.  People don't get to wear their Stormfront T-shirts to work on Casual Day, and rightfully so.

She couldn't get a job at one of DC's many public schools?

Or does Karen Pence just not think black children are as deserving of learning about art?

Perhaps Karen Pence wishes to be part of bringing up children in the fear and admonition of the Lord, and not be part of infusing them with secular doctrines that have, as far as I am concerned, damaged the institution of the nuclear family to tragic levels.

Ok, these posts are crossing the line for me. I don't care how many paragraphs you write, this is horrendous. Disgusting. Abhorrent. Offensive. Should I find more words to describe how bad these posts are? First of all, you compared my very f**king existence to nazis. TWICE. Seems like it's a comparison you believe in very strongly. Second, you keep frevently claiming that me, we, millions of wonderful people, are ammoral, our very existence is a tragedy, that barring us from a school would somehow make it BETTER. No, I don't care how "respectful" you sound saying that. I don't care if you excuse your hateful and loathing views with a line in the old testament. These posts are some of the worst I've seen on Atlas and are truly loathsome.

But, at least I know that these views are rapidly disappearing from our earth, and that you'll continue to be part of an increasingly small, bitter and irrelevant minority. While we finally gain our rights and our freedom.

But Freedom of Religion! Freedom of Expression! Blah, blah, blah! Because, you know, those rights make it okay to limit everyone else's.

Folks. It's a matter of good and evil. It really is that simple, I'm sorry to say.

Yep, absolutely agreed.

Scripture says what it says, and it means what it means.  The idea that it means something else, other than what I have is, quite honestly, hard to defend.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

We are not judged under the Law, for no man can keep it.  We are judged under Grace, through Faith in Jesus Christ.  The Law, however, exists to tell us just exactly what sin is.

So here's an honest question:  What would you have me do in this situation?  I can please God, or I can please individuals.  Given that I, Karen and Mike Pence, Representative Carpetbagger (and other Atlas Christians), and hundreds of millions of Christians in America, alone, have to wrestle with this issue, what are we to do, given that we believe that Jesus Christ is who He says He is in Scripture.

Scripture instructs believers "Insofar as it is possible within YOU, live in peace with ALL men (emphasis added both times)."  I wish to win souls for the Kingdom, and every lost soul has a shot at being Saved until that last nanosecond of life is over.  I will show kindness to people who life lifestyles of any kind that I believe are un-Biblical.  But I'm not going to tell people God is OK with what they're doing when Scripture tells me that He's not, and I'm not going to help people seal themselves into a posture of what I believe God would view as rebellion against His Authority. 

I guess my bottom line is this:  I'll be kind to everyone.  I'll not practice discrimination against folks in housing, secular employment, etc.  I'll respect persons' individual choices, and I will not torment people with unwanted Evangelizing or Bible Study.  And I will do so recognizing that, for many here, this will never be enough.   What is wanted (indeed, DEMANDED by some) is that I renounce God's Authority and deceive people as to what I believe God Himself, has said on this subject.  This, I cannot do, and will not do. 

To those of you who believe I have "crossed a line", that is probably true.  If I were to (for example) post here that I am all for SSM (for example) and that God signs off on this (the more important declaration), then I have crossed another line; the line of misrepresenting God, Himself, and mis-presenting His Will.  And, in my case, I would be doing so deliberately, because God will hold me accountable for what I already know.  On this subject, I am going to "cross a line" either way.  One line is drawn by God, the other by other people (including people that I, personally, would consider to be FFs).  Which line should I be worried more about crossing?  Which line would you be worried more about crossing if you were in my position between man and God?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2019, 10:15:31 AM »

First of all, it's dishonest to say that you're just doing what God said. Don't put the responsibility of all your words on Jesus, it's cowardly and doesn't make you a saint. It still makes you a person who supports denying innocent children entry to a school just because of what they are.

NOWHERE in the scripture does it specifically say that gays shouldn't be allowed to Christian school. It does say that gays should be stoned to death, though. Will you act on that? I'm waiting.

If you ask me what I'd have you did as a devout Christian- do what most devout Christians today do. Don't compare homosexuals to nazis. Don't support outright and gross discrimination and abuse of children. Ideally, also don't oppose equal civil rights for us, our judgement will be in heaven.

Of course, if God is truly just, he'll not punish us for what we are. He'll punish those who hate us for that. If he will punish me for that... Well, I won't say what I think about Him. That would be blasphemy.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2019, 02:59:14 PM »

First of all, it's dishonest to say that you're just doing what God said. Don't put the responsibility of all your words on Jesus, it's cowardly and doesn't make you a saint. It still makes you a person who supports denying innocent children entry to a school just because of what they are.

NOWHERE in the scripture does it specifically say that gays shouldn't be allowed to Christian school. It does say that gays should be stoned to death, though. Will you act on that? I'm waiting.

If you ask me what I'd have you did as a devout Christian- do what most devout Christians today do. Don't compare homosexuals to nazis. Don't support outright and gross discrimination and abuse of children. Ideally, also don't oppose equal civil rights for us, our judgement will be in heaven.

Of course, if God is truly just, he'll not punish us for what we are. He'll punish those who hate us for that. If he will punish me for that... Well, I won't say what I think about Him. That would be blasphemy.

It's amazing how some people on here seem to think that one must be fully in line with "who they are", to be in favor on here. Personally, I've come to accept gay marriage, and I wouldn't support reversing the legal status quo on the matter. But there is a sharp distinction that must be drawn between supporting this institution legally and compelling others to support it morally. It seems to be your belief, and the belief of others on here, that one who does not toe the line on these kinds of issues and who disapproves of them due to sincere religious objections, is one who should be shamed and scorned. That is stepping over the line.

Moreover, no one was comparing the existence of gay people to Nazis. The example of Stormfront was merely used as an example of the kinds of behaviors that no institutions should be compelled to tolerate.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2019, 02:59:38 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2019, 03:02:45 PM by Fuzzy Bear »

God gave me free will.  I own what I write here.  Ultimately, I'm responsible to Him.

I will, however, assert that what I say is backed up by Scripture.  I, personally, care less what others do in the privacy of their homes.  I really don't care, personally, about seeing what people do in public, to a certain extent.  I don't want to see a person of the same gender grab their same sex partner's butt in public, in front of kids, but I wouldn't want to see a married man to it to his female spouse in public, either, even if it's consensual.  If you boil my actual stance on this issue down to the nub, it's something like, "Personally, what you do is up to you, but don't ask me to sign off on it and say God is OK with it."  

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/16/us/politics/karen-pence-school-lgbt-ban.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is what Scripture says.  It's a Faith-Based School.  It has every right to require its faculty to be in agreement of basic principles.  

Would a Yeshiva require conformity in the same manner?  Would a Palestinian Arab Muslim be welcome in one, either here or in Israel as a faculty member?  Would a Jew who avowed that Israel is a Jewish State and Jerusalem is its Capital openly be welcome in a Muslim Academy as a faculty member?  Would a parent who viewed wearing a Hijab as sexist be allowed to attend a Muslim Academy?  Would a Evangelical Christian student who was accepted as a student be permitted to present the Gospel to other students on campus in either of these settings, even during free time? What would happen if they did?

Would these institutions require their faculty to conform their personal lives to the philosophy of the school, at least to the point where one could say that they were "congruent"?  

At a minimum, Karen Pence does not deserve the condemnation she has received here.  If she does, then what shall we say for Jewish and Muslim Schools, their requirements, and their rules?  

This thread is an unfair attack on Mrs. Pence, and on Christian School Teachers.  My wife teaches Kindergarten at a Christian School.  People can say what they will.  I will defend the Faith and I will defend the Faithful.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2019, 11:52:13 PM »

Why do you care what she does with her personal life? She does not support same-sex marriage. How does it effect YOU? It's time you mind YOURown business! You all give those who oppose same-sex marriage a hard time by saying something like "It's not your life or your business!" and "How does their marriage effect you?". You all are bunch of hypocrites with a different set of standards!
While it doesn't directly affect *me* literally, it is important to note that Virginia has voucher laws, and students are able to attend there with voucher funding.  Thus, it affects Virginia taxpayers.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »

I should also point out that school-age children in the age ranges that Mrs. Pence school accomodates ought not be having sex in the first place.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2019, 10:36:18 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2019, 10:39:26 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Being gay isn’t about having sex, you self-righteous door stop.

How does it affect me that “in the privacy of your own home” you spout bullsh-t about gay folks being “less than?” That I need make it clear to you how your internal biases would end up affecting your actions and the environments with which you interact is a huge mark of your blindness and—yes indeed, I’ll say it!—your straight privilege. I’ll let you ponder it some more. Roll Eyes

As for what I would have you do when your religion seems plain as day about its views on gay people? Well, that’s an easy one! Use your own f-cking brain, look past the dogma, realize that regarding a whole category of people as “less than” for no damn reason is a manifestation of hatred, and denounce your stupid religion, or at the very least denounce the tenets of it that preach and encourage discrimination. Why do that, when you “truly believe?” Because what your “word of God” says is wrong and harmful. It should not take that much brainpower to realize, though I guess it’s easier to let God think for you, isn’t it?

Anyhow, yes. You should be ashamed, and I will not stop being a thorn in the side of people like you until you realize you’re wrong. Not gonna happen, you say? Then I guess I’ll see you in hell. I respect your rights as a human being. But, for good reason, I have no respect for who you are. To you, by virtue of nothing more than who I love, I am unworthy. I don’t need to put up with that. And so that others won’t have to, there’s no way I’m going to let it go unchecked, either. That’s why we need a “pro-LGBT agenda” in school. You people do damage, and it’s no longer okay.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2019, 10:49:29 PM »

Being gay isn’t about having sex, you self-righteous door stop.

How does it affect me that “in the privacy of your own home” you spout bullsh-t about gay folks being “less than?” That I need make it clear to you how your internal biases would end up affecting your actions and the environments with which you interact is a huge mark of your blindness and—yes indeed, I’ll say it!—your straight privilege. I’ll let you ponder it some more. Roll Eyes

As for what I would have you do when your religion seems plain as day about its views on gay people? Well, that’s an easy one! Use your own f-cking brain, look past the dogma, realize that regarding a whole category of people as “less than” for no damn reason is a manifestation of hatred, and denounce your stupid religion, or at the very least denounce the tenets of it that preach and encourage discrimination. Why do that, when you “truly believe?” Because what your “word of God” says is wrong and harmful. It should not take that much brainpower to realize, though I guess it’s easier to let God think for you, isn’t it?

Anyhow, yes. You should be ashamed, and I will not stop being a thorn in the side of people like you until you realize you’re wrong. Not gonna happen, you say? Then I guess I’ll see you in hell. I respect your rights as a human being. But, for good reason, I have no respect for who you are. To you, by virtue of nothing more than who I love, I am unworthy. I don’t need to put up with that. And so that others won’t have to, there’s no way I’m going to let it go unchecked, either. That’s why we need a “pro-LGBT agenda” in school. You people do damage, and it’s no longer okay.

So I guess you approve of having drag queens tell "story time" to small children, and having them taught about these sorts of things. That seems to be out of line.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 11:54:47 PM »

Take your strawmen somewhere else.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2019, 01:05:31 AM »

I know very little about Pentecostals, so I have no idea if there is a powerful pro-LGBT movement within that denomination.  However, I have little doubt that in 20-30 years Bible believing Christians will be very unpopular.  Anyone who still identifies as such won't care about social pressure at that point I think.

What is it with homophobes and thinking that  the only reason we want them to change is "social pressure"? It's because accepting LGBT people is the morally right thing to do, not because it's hip or trendy.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2019, 01:08:57 AM »

What is it with homophobes and thinking that  the only reason we want them to change is "social pressure"? It's because accepting LGBT people is the morally right thing to do, not because it's hip or trendy.

Agreed. The Episcopals and ELCA didn't decide to extend the marriage sacrament to LGBTQ people because of any social pressure - they did it because they decided for themselves that it was the right thing to do. The same process will play out internally in the remaining denominations as younger generations move into positions of power.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2019, 01:17:22 AM »

"Accepting LGBT people" can mean a lot of things.  I accept them on an equal basis for housing, employment, etc.  I personally don't care what one's private life is.  There are people I know who have sex outside of marriage and I know people that commit adultery.  I accept them all.  I accept SSM as a fait acompli, and I"m not on a crusade to repeal it.  But I'm not going to say God thinks it's OK, because it's not.  As far as being Morally Correct, I'll rely on Scripture, and not Atlas Leftists (or Atlas Anybodies, for that matter).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies