GA-SEN 2020 Class II Megathread (Perdue inc.)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 12:48:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  GA-SEN 2020 Class II Megathread (Perdue inc.)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30
Author Topic: GA-SEN 2020 Class II Megathread (Perdue inc.)  (Read 59994 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: October 16, 2020, 08:45:37 PM »

I can hear my parents listening to Rachel Maddow's show downstairs and I just heard the infamous George Allen clip from 2006. So, this is at least gaining traction in mainstream liberal media.

My two cents on the whole thing: Purdue obviously intentionally mispronounced and mocked Kamala's name. There's at least some racial component to mocking Harris' name because you wouldn't be hearing Republicans intentionally mispronounce her name if it was a "normal white" name like Jane or Karen. After all, you don't hear Republicans mispronouncing "Joe".
Politically, this is different from Allen's incident since mispronouncing and mocking someone's name isn't as blatantly racist as calling someone a slur. Purdue can at least make a cohesive and believable argument that he simply mispronounced "Kamala", but there's no easy PR-friendly excuse after calling someone an ethnic/racial slur.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #626 on: October 16, 2020, 09:27:07 PM »

Apparently the GOP is going to just lean into xenophobia and racism the final stretch of the campaign.

"Dee-pass-quail? We don't need no eye-talian foreigners in Congress! This is America. We speak English and we're not learning how to spell all these names with a bunch of extra letters!"

walleye26

« Reply #627 on: October 16, 2020, 09:41:20 PM »

Can somebody explain the “George Allen Incident” to me that people are referring to in Perdue’s name issue?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #628 on: October 16, 2020, 09:44:03 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2020, 09:51:42 PM by sev »

Can somebody explain the “George Allen Incident” to me that people are referring to in Perdue’s name issue?

He referred to an Indian-American staffer as a "macaca" and subsequently lost his lead and eventually the election.

Personally, I think what Perdue is doing is just as awful, same with when the Republicans were calling President Obama "Hussein" all the time.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #629 on: October 16, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »

in 2006 George Allen used the word "macaca" at a campaign rally to describe an Indian-American who was working with his opponent's campaign, tracking Allen's campaign events. It turned out this was a slur and it helped Allen lose via bad publicity.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #630 on: October 16, 2020, 09:46:50 PM »

This has legs.

Tilt D -> Lean D
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #631 on: October 16, 2020, 09:52:02 PM »

For anyone interested this is a Youtube video of the incident.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #632 on: October 16, 2020, 10:08:06 PM »

I had never heard of the term "macaca" prior to the incident. When it first happened, I thought Allen was mocking the tracker by coming up with some gobbledygook fake Indian name (like if he'd referred to a Chinese person as "Ching Chong" or something).
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #633 on: October 16, 2020, 10:28:36 PM »

Anything that gets Ossoff resistance wine mom cash to turn out the burgeoning blue majority matters.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #634 on: October 16, 2020, 10:33:31 PM »

Republicans joke about the pronunciation of Kamala's name because there was such an uproar in the liberal media when Tucker Carlson mispronounced it and cries of racism even though it's an easy thing to get wrong.
The Legend
Rookie
United States

« Reply #635 on: October 16, 2020, 10:39:22 PM »

The cash advantage for Ossoff will be incredible from here on in. I can only imagine the runoff...
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #636 on: October 16, 2020, 10:58:19 PM »

it's hard to know how the cookie will crumble in this situation. A lot of people thought Trump was finished after that clip from 2005 surfaced - but the overreaction by the media and the sort of bad faith puritanism of them ended up helping Trump.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #637 on: October 16, 2020, 10:59:48 PM »

it's hard to know how the cookie will crumble in this situation. A lot of people thought Trump was finished after that clip from 2005 surfaced - but the overreaction by the media and the sort of bad faith puritanism of them ended up helping Trump.

Nah, people thought Trump's treatment of women was an issue, they just didn't care enough compared to other policy issues and Hillary's perceived flaws for it to stop him winning.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #638 on: October 16, 2020, 11:49:15 PM »

I hate Purdue but this won’t matter. It’s the Republican version of the Cal scandal
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #639 on: October 17, 2020, 12:07:33 AM »

Republicans joke about the pronunciation of Kamala's name because there was such an uproar in the liberal media when Tucker Carlson mispronounced it and cries of racism even though it's an easy thing to get wrong.

The problem wasn’t that Tucker mispronounced it initially. I call her “Ka-maw-la” a lot because there’s a Marvel character where it’s pronounced that way. It’s an honest mistake. The problem is that when his guest politely told him how to pronounce it correctly, he said kept doing it on purpose.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #640 on: October 17, 2020, 01:10:52 AM »

I hate Purdue but this won’t matter. It’s the Republican version of the Cal scandal
How many times y’all gon say that? Not a single person has posted that this is going to flip a Perdue voter. In a race that will be decided by <50,000 voters whether it’s a win, loss, or runoff Ossoff having more money to turn out low propensity Black Democrats and first time voters from immigrant communities in places like Cobb and Gwinnett matters.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #641 on: October 17, 2020, 09:08:44 AM »

People seem to think that Perdue has enough of a lead to avoid gaffes, but considering the polls have the two about tied, Perdue can't afford any screw ups
Buzz

« Reply #642 on: October 17, 2020, 09:32:31 AM »

I went to the rally in Macon last night.  Talked to a lot of folks and seemed to be more Doug Collins support than for Kelly Loeffler.  I’m still undecided.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #643 on: October 17, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »

DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #644 on: October 17, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »

Making fun of somebody's name makes you an ass. He's a Senator, not a damn comedian. And Tucker Carlson didn't mispronounce her name accidentally, he was being a you-know-what. These people have nothing left but childish stupidity and that is why they are set to lose big.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #645 on: October 17, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »

It's pronounced exactly the way it's spelled, contains no challenging sequences of letters, no letter groupings that produce a strange, difficult, or unexpected pronunciation, no letters that are silent, and is quite literally the same vowel sound repeated three times, each time with a simple consonant preceding that has no alternative pronunciation.

It's really funny, because Tucker Carlson, David Perdue and many like them have no issue learning and perfectly pronouncing names like Amodei, Boozman, Chabot, DesJarlais, Herrera Beutler, Huizenga, Loeffler, Luetkemeyer, Moolenaar, Reschenthaler, Sensenbrenner, Steube, and not to mention names like Breitbart, D'Souza, Krauthammer, Limbaugh, Loesch, Scalia, Schlafly, and my personal favorite, Yiannopoulos.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #646 on: October 17, 2020, 10:16:47 AM »

FWIW the real killer for Allen was that he said 'welcome to America' to someone who was born & raised in Virginia... so he had no real defence.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #647 on: October 17, 2020, 10:20:55 AM »

As someone who works in politics a good rule is would you go back in time & tell your boss not to do this again & did you get any benefit from them doing it?

The answer is clearly Yes & No.

This is not a good move & please ignore the mental gymnastics which tries to pretend that everything awful is actually good... it's often not!
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #648 on: October 17, 2020, 10:25:18 AM »

This isn’t a gaffe lmao. Also, it’s a pretty bad look, no? He shouldn’t be alienating his suburban base.  Tongue
Lognog
United States

« Reply #649 on: October 17, 2020, 10:39:27 AM »

This isn’t a gaffe lmao. Also, it’s a pretty bad look, no? He shouldn’t be alienating his suburban base.  Tongue

If you can't see this as a gaffe, you're a hack
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies