VOTE NAY ON NORTHEAST BILLS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:45:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  VOTE NAY ON NORTHEAST BILLS
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: VOTE NAY ON NORTHEAST BILLS  (Read 4227 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2005, 01:38:14 AM »

My question to Earl is, if I were residing in the Pacific, would you take my criticism more seriously?

The answer is yes.

In that case, my "regional bigot" comment is obviously fully justified.  Thanks for your honesty.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2005, 01:38:44 AM »

Technicalities. Tongue
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2005, 01:40:57 AM »

My question to Earl is, if I were residing in the Pacific, would you take my criticism more seriously?

The answer is yes.

In that case, my "regional bigot" comment is obviously fully justified.  Thanks for your honesty.
Typo, Danny.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2005, 01:42:01 AM »

The answer is yes.

For the record, I like the south more than the Pacific (well California, anyways). However, it is the southerners, not the pacificans who have been buzzing around here.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2005, 01:48:02 AM »

The answer is yes.

Typo, Danny.

The rest of your post ("only Southerners have been posting here" etc) could easily be interpreted as going with a yes answer, so I had absolutely no reason to assume it was a typo.  I apologize.

The answer is yes.

For the record, I like the south more than the Pacific (well California, anyways). However, it is the southerners, not the pacificans who have been buzzing around here.

"The" southerners can post wherever the hell they please, thank you.  If it bothers you that much you can get a separate board for Northeast regional affairs.  Frankly an-out-of-region / district comment never bothered me as Senator, so I don't see how it could be so painful for you.  Either way, it is no excuse to dodge the arguments presented here.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2005, 01:56:53 AM »

I'll "dodge" any arguments presented by a citizen outside the Northeast, especially if I feel they are incorrect. I will however, allow you and your band of merry men to post, as I do favour freedom of speech. There will be no separate boards. I have nothing to hide.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2005, 02:00:33 AM »

I'll "dodge" any arguments presented by a citizen outside the Northeast

Are you sure about that?  What if a citizen outside the Northeast, say, wrote a bill for you?

Either way, I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate refusal to hear arguments presented by anyone outside your region.  That is a stain on your administration, by any standard, and it is sad that the potential for a great administration for your region has been ruined by closed-mindedness.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2005, 02:16:06 AM »

Are you sure about that?  What if a citizen outside the Northeast, say, wrote a bill for you?

Either way, I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate refusal to hear arguments presented by anyone outside your region.  That is a stain on your administration, by any standard, and it is sad that the potential for a great administration for your region has been ruined by closed-mindedness.

Dont take my quotes out of context again, or I shall sue for libel.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2005, 02:27:21 AM »

Thankfully, Atlasia doesn't have libel laws.

I'll "dodge" any arguments presented by a citizen outside the Northeast, especially if I feel they are incorrect. I will however, allow you and your band of merry men to post, as I do favour freedom of speech. There will be no separate boards. I have nothing to hide.

Sorry, what was taken out of context?  That post can be summed up by the first thing you said:  that you'd dodge anything argued from outside the region.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2005, 01:55:50 PM »

Thankfully, Atlasia doesn't have libel laws.

Sorry, what was taken out of context?  That post can be summed up by the first thing you said:  that you'd dodge anything argued from outside the region.

I meant to say that if I feel you are not contributing to the scope of what I have planned, I need not take it into consideration. I don't feel it is in anyone's best interest for me to hijack southeastern legislation, why do you feel the need to always hijack Northeast discussions? I don't feel as though I have to appease people from outside the region. It's unfortunate that you have any sway in our region. The region should be governed by Northeasterners, not Ebowed.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2005, 02:13:17 PM »

Perhaps you are a regional bigot; I have no way of knowing.
Hahaha!!! Cheesy Regional bigot? Surely you must be joking.

Actually, no.  Take a look at the statements of your Governor:

You know something though, I really have no time or patience any more for you guys from outside the region. I care about my region, not what a bunch of southerners think. I applaud MAS at least for voicing his opinions, but you guys are just not worth it anymore.

This comment would not be nearly so outrageous if he had not taken the time to mention Southerners specifically.  My question to Earl is, if I were residing in the Pacific, would you take my criticism more seriously?  I think we all know what the answer is.

I said that because  both you and Spade are from the south. No one else form any other region has said anything yet. If anyone else comes along to support you, it will be Jake, and surprise surprise, he's also from the south! I have nothing against the south, just the one's who are sticking their noses in my region.

I said my comments were to be ignored and not taken seriously because I am not from the Northeast, except in case of the Marriage Act, which is blatantly unconstitutional and I felt it might be of note for the people of the Northeast to realize that.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2005, 02:17:24 PM »

You know something though, I really have no time or patience any more for you guys from outside the region. I care about my region, not what a bunch of southerners think. I applaud MAS at least for voicing his opinions, but you guys are just not worth it anymore.

This comment would not be nearly so outrageous if he had not taken the time to mention Southerners specifically.  My question to Earl is, if I were residing in the Pacific, would you take my criticism more seriously?  I think we all know what the answer is.

I said that because  both you and Spade are from the south. No one else form any other region has said anything yet. If anyone else comes along to support you, it will be Jake, and surprise surprise, he's also from the south! I have nothing against the south, just the one's who are sticking their noses in my region.

I said my comments were to be ignored and not taken seriously because I am not from the Northeast, except in case of the Marriage Act, which is blatantly unconstitutional and I felt it might be of note for the people of the Northeast to realize that.

No, because the act deals with civil unions Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2005, 02:18:41 PM »

See you in court.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2005, 03:47:58 PM »

I'm glad Earl wants the Northeast to be run by northeasterners, yet a member of this adminstration has endorsed a clear carpetbagger.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2005, 03:58:54 PM »

Would it help if the bill was completely rewritten to be more specific?  I recommend some co-operation here, instead of just shouting at each other over things you actually agree on in principle.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2005, 03:59:37 PM »

Would it help if the bill was completely rewritten to be more specific?  I recommend some co-operation here, instead of just shouting at each other over things you actually agree on in principle.

I don't agree in principle with these issues Mr. President-Elect.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2005, 04:01:11 PM »

I meant to say that if I feel you are not contributing to the scope of what I have planned, I need not take it into consideration.

How was I not contributing to the scope of what you had planned, Mr. Governor?  With all due respect, I believe making a comment about a bill from outside the region is just as valid as a comment made by someone inside the Northeast.  Given the relative inactivity of your region, I'm surprised you don't appreciate outside comments.

I don't feel it is in anyone's best interest for me to hijack southeastern legislation, why do you feel the need to always hijack Northeast discussions?

I am not hijacking any discussion.  We have seen one person hijack discussion a few times recently.  Who could that be?  Was it the person who attempted to stop debate by posting a personal taunt about MAS117's political status?  Was it the person who flat-out ignored a post because he didn't care what "the Southerners" thought?  Or was it the person who decided to try and once again hijack debate by posing an empty libel lawsuit?

Anyway, go ahead and "hijack" Southeastern legislative discussions.  If you have valid concerns, they won't go unnoticed.

I don't feel as though I have to appease people from outside the region.

Oh, OK, then go and try appease the people who just voted against your Capital Punishment "Abolition" Act.

It's unfortunate that you have any sway in our region.

This is news to me.

Anyway, let's take a look at the posts of mine that have been ignored by Earl.  I hope you will give an adequate response this time, as I feel it would be nothing less than sad for the people of the Northeast if their Governor is unwilling to debate serious matters.  Some of these have been flat-out ignored; others were responded to with irrelevant talking points.

if you are against [the capital punishment act], you are in favour of capital punishment.

You'd have to be smoking some pretty nasty stuff to sincerely believe that.  I don't oppose your act because I favor the death penalty.  I'm a well-known anti-death penalty crusader in Atlasia; as the Southeastern citizens will attest surely.

You have failed to defend your claim that anyone who opposes your act supports the death penalty, and have instead changed the subject.

I care about capital punishment more than euthanasia, actually.  I would rank them in this order of importance:
1. Abortion
2. The Death Penalty
3. Euthanasia

The euthanasia crap aside, clause 1 of your act is so poorly and ambiguously worded I don't know how anyone could seriously support it.

I'm sorry that because I'm a Southerner, I'm not worth your time.  Perhaps you are a regional bigot; I have no way of knowing.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2005, 04:06:40 PM »

Not even the death penalty one?  I never realized you supported giving awful criminals an easy escape for their crimes, where they don't have to actually feel remorse or regret, or feel the consequences of their actions.  I never realized 'MASPAC' was such a far-left liberal organization.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »

Um, Joe, far-leftists tend to oppose the death penalty, not support it.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2005, 04:10:50 PM »

Not even the death penalty one?  I never realized you supported giving awful criminals an easy escape for their crimes, where they don't have to actually feel remorse or regret, or feel the consequences of their actions.  I never realized 'MASPAC' was such a far-left liberal organization.

MASPAC is not a far left liberal organization at all. The liberal folks are against the use of the death penalty. I am for the use of the death penalty.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2005, 04:11:09 PM »

Then what the hell is the point?  Atlasia already has civil unions.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2005, 04:12:13 PM »

That would be a novel idea if I hadn't already tried it.  Earl amended the bill at least three times, getting worse with each progression.  My attempts to make the bill well-written before it came to a vote were futile.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2005, 04:19:29 PM »

Then what the hell is the point?  Atlasia already has civil unions.

Earl just wants there to be marriages instead of civil unions nationally, and is taking his own initative by defining civil unions as "marriages" in the Northeast in is what is clearly a federal prerogative.  He also says that these "marriages" are not "marriages" defined under federal law  because they are really civil unions that are called "marriages".  (a little bit of circular reasoning, if I ever saw it)

He still refuses to read Article 2, Clause 1 of my Act, which blatantly destroys any argument he might have (important part bolded):

1. The term "marriage" shall have no legal standing within the city, county, state, regional, or federal governments of Atlasia, nor within any law or laws nonexclusively that pertain to or deal with civil unions and divorce, adoption and emancipation of minors.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2005, 04:20:40 PM »

MASPAC is not a far left liberal organization at all. The liberal folks are against the use of the death penalty. I am for the use of the death penalty.

Yes, this appears to be one of those issues where the left-right spectrum appears to be mixed up.  Provided that anti-death penalty supporters advocate a much worse punishment instead, then its a pretty right wing perspective.  Supporting the death penalty, and thus supporting an easy escape for criminals, sounds pretty liberal to me.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2005, 04:24:19 PM »

Oh, I'm sure he's read it Sam; he's probably just in denial that he's trying to rush through an unconstitutional law, and by refusing to address your concerns in a satisfactory manner, the people of his region think there is no reason to vote against it.  (It's passing 6-0 with an abstention at the moment.)

Yes, this appears to be one of those issues where the left-right spectrum appears to be mixed up.  Provided that anti-death penalty supporters advocate a much worse punishment instead, then its a pretty right wing perspective.  Supporting the death penalty, and thus supporting an easy escape for criminals, sounds pretty liberal to me.

That sounds more like what you want the political spectrum to be, rather than what it actually is.  Nobody who supports the death penalty does so because it's an easy escape for criminals.  It's a concern I take into consideration, which is why I oppose the death penalty-- but certainly not any reason to support Earl's joke of a bill.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies