Cyntoia Brown granted clemency
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 07:26:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Cyntoia Brown granted clemency
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cyntoia Brown granted clemency  (Read 1471 times)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2019, 12:23:44 PM »

Great news!
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:00:02 PM »

Great news!
Esteemed Jimmy
Jimmy7812
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: 2.47, S: -1.05

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:12:47 PM »

Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 01:44:20 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is shooting someone while they're sleeping (a client, not the pimp) worthy of clemency?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 01:59:59 PM »

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is shooting someone while they're sleeping (a client, not the pimp) worthy of clemency?

Black girl who got roped into position and rape killed her John and got 51 years in prison because they thought she was trying to steal from him. That should answer it right there.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 03:48:02 PM »

This is so good to hear.
Hollywood
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 04:48:05 PM »

Why is this good?  I just don't see what all the celebrating is about.  This case contains a lot of details that have never been addressed by Brown's proponents.  What kind of sick SOB celebrates the release of a pre-meditated murderer?  The ignorant. 

Cyntoia Brown murdered her 'john', Mr. Allen, while he was sleeping.  She shot him in the back of the head, and then stole $172.00, firearms, and a vehicle from Mr. Allen's home.  Allen was naked on his bed.  Her justification for murder is that she feared for her life, but forensic evidence suggested that Allen was sleeping.  There was no evidence that he was reaching for his gun, as Brown later claimed.  Johnny Allen was just some "regular joe" real estate agent, and a veteran in the United States Army, who was murdered in cold-blood.  This is evidenced by the fact that Cyntoia Brown brought a gun with her to Mr. Allen's home, and later stole from Allen's house.  Additionally, Mr. Allen was found with his hands under his head, which only compounded the physical evidence that he was sleeping.

Cyntoia Brown was homeless at 16 and taken in by a pimp named Cutthroat.  She alleges that she was the victim of human trafficking, and that she was abused by her pimp.  However, this has nothing to do with Mr. Allen.  If she had killed her pimp, I would be on board with her supporters.  She didn't.  She killed an innocent man who just wanted sex from a prostitute.  The pain and fear she described was caused by her pimp.  The story she told in court about fearing Mr. Allen was at odds with all the evidence. 

Proponents of her situation also claim that Allen was a sexual predator.  Really?  This is just a head-fake.  There's nothing to suggest Allen was aware that Cyntoia Brown was 18.   In fact, Cyntoia Brown was forced into prostitution by her pimp.  She was drugged a raped by her pimp.  She was 16 years-old, which is the age of consent in numerous other states within the United States.  If Allen had lived from his shooting, I would support charges against Mr. Allen for statutory rape.  However, Allen died.  He never had the chance to tell his side of the story, or serve his time for statutory rape.  He was murdered in cold-blood.

Although I'm sympathetic to Cyntoia Brown's situation, the conjecturable arguments on the side for clemency does not make her any less culpable for killing a man in a cold blood.  I understand that she was a teenagers, but taking a life is out of the realm of excusable actions for a 16 year-old girl.  There are plenty of 16-year-old white girls serving life for murder.  The fact that she is black does not move my opinion one bit.  It seems like she has turned her life around in prison, and perhaps that is enough reason to grant her clemency.  However, nobody should be happy about it.  This isn't some great news for civil rights. 
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »

Why is this good?  I just don't see what all the celebrating is about.  This case contains a lot of details that have never been addressed by Brown's proponents.  What kind of sick SOB celebrates the release of a pre-meditated murderer?  The ignorant. 

Cyntoia Brown murdered her 'john', Mr. Allen, while he was sleeping.  She shot him in the back of the head, and then stole $172.00, firearms, and a vehicle from Mr. Allen's home.  Allen was naked on his bed.  Her justification for murder is that she feared for her life, but forensic evidence suggested that Allen was sleeping.  There was no evidence that he was reaching for his gun, as Brown later claimed.  Johnny Allen was just some "regular joe" real estate agent, and a veteran in the United States Army, who was murdered in cold-blood.  This is evidenced by the fact that Cyntoia Brown brought a gun with her to Mr. Allen's home, and later stole from Allen's house.  Additionally, Mr. Allen was found with his hands under his head, which only compounded the physical evidence that he was sleeping.

Cyntoia Brown was homeless at 16 and taken in by a pimp named Cutthroat.  She alleges that she was the victim of human trafficking, and that she was abused by her pimp.  However, this has nothing to do with Mr. Allen.  If she had killed her pimp, I would be on board with her supporters.  She didn't.  She killed an innocent man who just wanted sex from a prostitute.  The pain and fear she described was caused by her pimp.  The story she told in court about fearing Mr. Allen was at odds with all the evidence. 

Proponents of her situation also claim that Allen was a sexual predator.  Really?  This is just a head-fake.  There's nothing to suggest Allen was aware that Cyntoia Brown was 18.   In fact, Cyntoia Brown was forced into prostitution by her pimp.  She was drugged a raped by her pimp.  She was 16 years-old, which is the age of consent in numerous other states within the United States.  If Allen had lived from his shooting, I would support charges against Mr. Allen for statutory rape.  However, Allen died.  He never had the chance to tell his side of the story, or serve his time for statutory rape.  He was murdered in cold-blood.

Although I'm sympathetic to Cyntoia Brown's situation, the conjecturable arguments on the side for clemency does not make her any less culpable for killing a man in a cold blood.  I understand that she was a teenagers, but taking a life is out of the realm of excusable actions for a 16 year-old girl.  There are plenty of 16-year-old white girls serving life for murder.  The fact that she is black does not move my opinion one bit.  It seems like she has turned her life around in prison, and perhaps that is enough reason to grant her clemency.  However, nobody should be happy about it.  This isn't some great news for civil rights. 
^ this, tbh
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:53:55 PM »

Didn't expect this, but great to hear.
Deleted User #4049
MT2030
United States
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 07:11:01 PM »

^ this, tbh
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 07:35:41 PM »

Nice to see all of the expected the victim blaming.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 08:09:23 PM »

Being a victim of trafficking isn't an excuse to kill someone who was not a threat, steal from him, and later lie about it. She was not in a situation where she should have feared for her life, and evidence proved this. If she could get up and shoot him without waking him up, she could have just as easily gotten up and snuck out to a safe place and alert authorities.  Instead, she chose to shoot him and steal his money, firearms, and his truck, and drove right back to her pimp.

No one is excusing the man's role in this situation, however Cyntoia Brown had no right to take his life for it.

You can feel bad for the situation she was in at that age without justifying murder. It just requires looking at the facts from the case rather than emotional social media posts. It's not even remotely victim blaming.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »

I agree that I'm not confident she's blameless in the situation.

I also think, given the context of the crime she was convicted of, life in prison was an absurd sentence and fifteen years is much more reasonable. I find it hard to argue with granting her clemency, especially given that she was a minor.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »

The victim is the guy who got shot in the head.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »

I also think, given the context of the crime she was convicted of, life in prison was an absurd sentence and fifteen years is much more reasonable. I find it hard to argue with granting her clemency, especially given that she was a minor.

yeah she was most likely guilty here for shooting and stealing but life in prison here doesn't fit the crime due to the circumstances

Anyway black civil right organizations have to choose better martyrs such as Rosa Parks vs Claudette Colvine .Botham Jean in Dallas should have been a bigger part of our country rather than some grocery robber like Mike Brown.
BundouYMB

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 08:39:02 PM »

yeah she was most likely guilty here for shooting and stealing but life in prison here doesn't fit the crime due to the circumstances

Anyway black civil right organizations have to choose better martyrs such as Rosa Parks vs Claudette Colvine .Botham Jean in Dallas should have been a bigger part of our country rather than some grocery robber like Mike Brown.

"Better martyrs"? She killed a child molester. That's a public service, and she's been in jail for 14 years for doing it. I can't think of a better martyr to rally around.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 08:40:16 PM »

She receive clemency after serving 15 years for a crime committed when she was 16. You are all mostly aware of the considerable mitigating circumstances. Without this act, she would have not been eligible for parole until after serving 51 years.

She certainly not a Rosa Parks or Nelson Mandela, but Justice was done here.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »

"Better martyrs"? She killed a child molester. That's a public service, and she's been in jail for 14 years for doing it. I can't think of a better martyr to rally around.

she told him she was 18. I don't disagree her circumstances were tough and the man was obviously guilty of statutory rape but he didn't deserve to die. 

Anyway the idea of better martyr is important. Mike brown just came from robbing a grocery store so I don't get why everyone fell for him

I honestly hope the dallas cop is found innocent and there are riots to accelerate change in police brutality.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 08:49:51 PM »

She wasn't exactly "innocent", but 15 years is more than enough of a sentence considering the circumstances.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2019, 08:53:25 PM »

She wasn't exactly "innocent", but 15 years is more than enough of a sentence considering the circumstances.
Hollywood
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 08:54:48 PM »

What are you talking about?  Ms. Brown is not the victim in the murder case.  She's the defendant and the convicted murderer.  She didn't even kill her abuser.  Cyntonia Brown was an underage prostitute that solicited a "John", murdered the "John" while he was sleeping with her own gun, and then stole the Man's money, guns, and a car.  For all we know, she might have planned it with her pimp abuser.  The victim of murder, Mr. Allen, was only guilty of having sex with an underage prostitute (statutory rape), who was 16 - the age of consent in various other states.  Brown is only a victim of statutory rape, but sex is exactly they type of conduct she solicited.   At best, she is both the victim of statutory rape and the perpetrator of murder.  There isn't even a defense to murder, because she shot Mr. Allen in the back of the head while he was sleeping.  The danger was over.  She could have run or stole the man's car.  There was no justification. 

The only civil rights violation in this story was the complete end to Mr. Allen's civil rights when Cyntoia Brown shot him in the head.  He didn't receive his right to trial or fair and just punishment.  He was executed. 
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 08:58:05 PM »

^ this, tbh
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 10:33:37 PM »

It's not victim blaming, the so-called "victim" in this case was a sexual predator. 15 years is a fair amount of time for the crime committed.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 10:45:38 PM »

I concur in the result of this.  But Cyntoia Brown isn't some sort of FF who's wrongly imprisoned.  She killed a man who was sleeping, and while there are mitigating factors in sentencing from her narrative, there really aren't mitigating circumstances as to the crime itself; it was a cold-blooded murder of a man who was asleep. 

I agree with the idea the juveniles who commit murder should not be sentenced to life without parole.  I don't believe in apologia for their actions, and I don't believe in making them martyrs and heroes.  My compassion for Cyntoia Brown and her admittedly tragic narrative is balanced against the sadness that the victim's family feels, and the angst they may feel knowing that someone killed their family member and she gets a second chance at life that their family member doesn't get. 
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 11:35:02 PM »

Yep. That's why it's a good thing she was given clemency, hence my response above. She was in a horrible situation and a minor. The punishment did not fit the circumstances at all. Clemency doesn't mean she was suddenly found not guilty, just that her time served was an appropriate amount for the crime and circumstances.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies