Celebrity endorsements in 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:28:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Celebrity endorsements in 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Celebrity endorsements in 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004  (Read 1116 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2019, 02:09:29 AM »

How common were celebrity endorsements in these elections? Did they tend to favor one candidate or the other?
mgop
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »

in 2004 whole hollywood and every celebrity was for democrats but that didn't help them
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 06:10:49 PM »

in 2004 whole hollywood and every celebrity was for democrats but that didn't help them

Capitalization and punctuation and some better sentence structure could really go a long way for you.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 09:44:54 PM »

How common were celebrity endorsements in these elections? Did they tend to favor one candidate or the other?

I'm not so sure about these specific elections, but wasn't Hollywood, decades ago (i.e. the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, etc.) much more Republican than it is now? I've read that many of the producers, directors, and actors of the Golden Age of Hollywood were conservative Republicans or leaned that way. Of course, Hollywood had its share of liberal Democrats, and it was subject to the McCarythism "blacklisting" of the late 1940s through mid 1950s. Now, it is overwhelmingly Democratic, and I would assume that most celebrities in those elections leaned towards Clinton, Gore, and Kerry. Kayne West's criticism of George W. Bush for his handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 probably helps to show what way the industry leaned at the time.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 10:32:45 AM »

I'm not so sure about these specific elections, but wasn't Hollywood, decades ago (i.e. the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, etc.) much more Republican than it is now? I've read that many of the producers, directors, and actors of the Golden Age of Hollywood were conservative Republicans or leaned that way. Of course, Hollywood had its share of liberal Democrats, and it was subject to the McCarythism "blacklisting" of the late 1940s through mid 1950s. Now, it is overwhelmingly Democratic, and I would assume that most celebrities in those elections leaned towards Clinton, Gore, and Kerry. Kayne West's criticism of George W. Bush for his handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005 probably helps to show what way the industry leaned at the time.

https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/opinion/stanley-shirley-temple-hollywood-gop/index.html
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:59:35 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2014/02/13/opinion/stanley-shirley-temple-hollywood-gop/index.html

Thank you for linking to this. And it confirms my impressions. I was aware of Temple's Republicanism and her political career during her adult life. It is fascinating to see how the industry has transformed, from being a Republican stronghold into a Democratic bastion.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies