Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:08:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 134916 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: October 23, 2019, 01:35:44 AM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to this by any means, but I think folks here are really over-simplifying the issue.  I want to know what she's going to replace it with because right now it doesn't sound like she has a real plan of her own about how to evaluate teachers and schools without such tests.  What she's doing is like when Republicans were essentially saying "we need to repeal Obamacare and replace it with some nonsense someone drunkenly scribbled on a napkin."
While everyone agrees that people need healthcare to survive, not everyone agrees that teachers need to be evaluated. Things were fine before standardized tests and things will fine after standardized tests.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1701 on: October 23, 2019, 01:57:34 AM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to this by any means, but I think folks here are really over-simplifying the issue.  I want to know what she's going to replace it with because right now it doesn't sound like she has a real plan of her own about how to evaluate teachers and schools without such tests.  What she's doing is like when Republicans were essentially saying "we need to repeal Obamacare and replace it with some nonsense someone drunkenly scribbled on a napkin."
While everyone agrees that people need healthcare to survive, not everyone agrees that teachers need to be evaluated. Things were fine before standardized tests and things will fine after standardized tests.

Uh, who in their right mind thinks that teachers don't need to be evaluated? I've had a lot of great teachers in my life, but I've also had a lot of terrible ones who skate by because they have tenure and their jobs aren't very competitive. Why should someone like my sophomore year algebra teacher-- who literally showed up to class drunk and verbally berated students-- not be subject to any kind of performance review?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1702 on: October 23, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »

Warren needs a big debate performance in ordet to get back the momentum she has lost, if she doesnt win IA or Cali, she will lose the nomination. Its not over
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1703 on: October 23, 2019, 11:31:01 AM »

Well, ideally we could take Finland's example and use more project-based learning, and teachers could use student work for their projects as evidence of learning and growth. I personally think tests are more useful as a diagnostic tool, to demonstrate to the teacher what students still need to learn, rather than a summative assessment which determines a student's future. Of course, many districts would hate using projects as a form of assessment, since data collection and grading would be more subjective and they would have to put more trust in teachers to recognize what constitutes understanding and critical thinking.

Of course teachers need to be evaluated, but the current evaluation process is far too impersonal, and doesn't consider the difference in structure classes of varying subjects. And if teachers are graded on how well their students do on a given assessment, there's a lot of incentive to make the assessment as simple as possible.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1704 on: October 23, 2019, 06:06:20 PM »

Well, ideally we could take Finland's example and use more project-based learning, and teachers could use student work for their projects as evidence of learning and growth. I personally think tests are more useful as a diagnostic tool, to demonstrate to the teacher what students still need to learn, rather than a summative assessment which determines a student's future. Of course, many districts would hate using projects as a form of assessment, since data collection and grading would be more subjective and they would have to put more trust in teachers to recognize what constitutes understanding and critical thinking.

Of course teachers need to be evaluated, but the current evaluation process is far too impersonal, and doesn't consider the difference in structure classes of varying subjects. And if teachers are graded on how well their students do on a given assessment, there's a lot of incentive to make the assessment as simple as possible.

Couldn't have said it much better myself.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1705 on: October 25, 2019, 04:55:48 PM »

rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #1706 on: October 25, 2019, 06:34:19 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/24/politics/katie-porter-elizabeth-warren-endorsement/index.html
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1707 on: October 26, 2019, 02:18:54 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2019, 02:23:52 PM by Ghost of Ruin »

Not sure why the Economist wants me to vote for Warren, but it certainly doesn't change my intention to do so. (If whoever's running the Economist's twitter feed thinks this is actually an argument against electing her, they should be loaded on a tumbril on general principles.)
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1708 on: October 26, 2019, 10:20:45 PM »

Anyone see this poll? https://www.msubillings.edu/cas/nams/polls/2019%20Mountain%20States%20Poll%20Report.pdf

Warren 82 - Biden 0 (WY)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1709 on: October 27, 2019, 11:49:11 PM »

Warren on the advice to son question:

American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1710 on: October 28, 2019, 06:38:00 AM »

If it's Donald Trump vs. Elizabeth Warren, his stronger base could be the key to victory

Despite having 17 candidates to choose from, the Democratic establishment politicos are apparently worried that the party’s 2020 presidential field seems to be winnowing to four, with Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts showing the most momentum of those at the top. And they are right to be concerned: Warren’s base — to the extent she has one — is much weaker than President Donald Trump’s, and she faces nagging questions about her ability to inspire those other elements of the Democratic base that the party nominee will need in fall 2020.

The eventual Democratic pick will almost certainly run up against a virtual lock on support for Trump among GOP voters. According to Gallup polls taken every two weeks, Trump’s support among Republicans hovers in the high 80s to low 90s. And those numbers haven’t been affected by the impeachment inquiry by House Democrats against Trump over the Ukraine whistleblower affair. Paradoxically, Trump campaign officials are using the Capitol Hill proceedings to fire up the president’s bedrock of support to an even higher degree than when he took office in January 2017. Trump’s base — broadly composed of white evangelicals, the non-college educated and rural residents — is staying loyal to him in the face of impeachment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/if-it-s-donald-trump-vs-elizabeth-warren-his-stronger-ncna1071071
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1711 on: October 28, 2019, 10:12:04 AM »

If it's Donald Trump vs. Elizabeth Warren, his stronger base could be the key to victory

Despite having 17 candidates to choose from, the Democratic establishment politicos are apparently worried that the party’s 2020 presidential field seems to be winnowing to four, with Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts showing the most momentum of those at the top. And they are right to be concerned: Warren’s base — to the extent she has one — is much weaker than President Donald Trump’s, and she faces nagging questions about her ability to inspire those other elements of the Democratic base that the party nominee will need in fall 2020.

The eventual Democratic pick will almost certainly run up against a virtual lock on support for Trump among GOP voters. According to Gallup polls taken every two weeks, Trump’s support among Republicans hovers in the high 80s to low 90s. And those numbers haven’t been affected by the impeachment inquiry by House Democrats against Trump over the Ukraine whistleblower affair. Paradoxically, Trump campaign officials are using the Capitol Hill proceedings to fire up the president’s bedrock of support to an even higher degree than when he took office in January 2017. Trump’s base — broadly composed of white evangelicals, the non-college educated and rural residents — is staying loyal to him in the face of impeachment.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/if-it-s-donald-trump-vs-elizabeth-warren-his-stronger-ncna1071071

This NBC article reads like a memo for an opposing campaign. She has by far the most donors for a first-time campaign, raised the most money for a first-time candidate, has gotten the biggest rally for a first-time candidate, and her favorable ratings are in line with her name recognition. She is in the same tier as a former Vice President and someone who got 45% of the primary vote in the last election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1712 on: October 28, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »

The only problem with her candidacy is she lacks AA support.  She will get crushed in SC, and that will hault her momentum, if she does win IA and NH.  She needed Harris to get momentum to have a chance in SC, but Harris voters are going towards Biden
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #1713 on: October 28, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »

The only problem with her candidacy is she lacks AA support.  She will get crushed in SC, and that will hault her momentum, if she does win IA and NH.  She needed Harris to get momentum to have a chance in SC, but Harris voters are going towards Biden

There is still time for her to get more AA support.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1714 on: October 29, 2019, 12:55:56 PM »

All the wrong people are afraid of her.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1715 on: October 29, 2019, 09:28:58 PM »

Yeah, it was a poll of 14 people. Yes, literally 14.

Not something that could be considered scientific by any reasonable measure. Maybe the people they asked were all in the same family?
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #1716 on: October 29, 2019, 11:55:49 PM »

Not something that could be considered scientific by any reasonable measure. Maybe the people they asked were all in the same family?

A survey of 14 people has a MoE of 26%.  So when you get 82% in a randomly sampled poll of 14 people, you can still be pretty damn confident you have a clear majority of the population. (I have no idea if this poll had a random sample though.)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1717 on: October 30, 2019, 01:22:21 AM »

A survey of 14 people has a MoE of 26%.  So when you get 82% in a randomly sampled poll of 14 people, you can still be pretty damn confident you have a clear majority of the population. (I have no idea if this poll had a random sample though.)

This is a satirical post, right?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1718 on: October 30, 2019, 09:35:37 AM »

Elizabeth Warren and Julián Castro may be rivals — but they’re buddies, too
As one candidate’s stock has climbed and the other’s has dipped, Warren and Castro have continued to share policy ideas — and hugs — on the campaign trail.
https://www.texastribune.org/2019/10/29/elizabeth-warren-julian-castro-friendship-2020/

I honestly thought it was ludicrous in 2016 when Castro was being suggest as Clinton's running mate--a low-level Cabinet appointee with no real accomplishments?  But I have to admit, Castro has seriously impressed me over the course of the last year.  If Warren is the nominee, I hope she chooses him as her running mate. 
Gallatine
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -5.57

« Reply #1719 on: October 30, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »

Warren picked up a couple of endorsements today -

Iowa State Sen. Zach Wahls

Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1720 on: October 30, 2019, 10:53:36 AM »

Larry Krasner is probably the best politician in America right now. That's a great endorsement although he probably doesn't have that much national profile.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1721 on: October 30, 2019, 10:55:48 AM »

Larry Krasner is probably the best politician in America right now. That's a great endorsement although he probably doesn't have that much national profile.

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1722 on: October 30, 2019, 02:25:21 PM »

Larry Krasner is probably the best one of the worst politicians in America right now. That's a great endorsement for the primary although he probably doesn't have that much national profile.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1723 on: October 30, 2019, 03:57:11 PM »

Larry Krasner is awesome. Good for Warren!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1724 on: October 30, 2019, 05:26:51 PM »

Yeah, this is a major deal. Krasner may not have the national profile of The Squad, but he is nonetheless strongly tied with the left wing of the Democratic Party. Goood get.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies