Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 07:03:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 135387 times)
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1675 on: October 21, 2019, 09:34:17 AM »
« edited: October 21, 2019, 10:16:15 AM by GP270watch »

The idea of M4A being unaffordable is ludicrous and always has been. Every other industrialized country in the world has already figured it out. It's merely a case of U.S. politicians and voters getting it together and admitting this.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #1676 on: October 21, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »

This is really good!
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1677 on: October 21, 2019, 10:20:42 AM »

This is really good!

A+
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1678 on: October 21, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »

This is really good!

There are benefits to having teachers in politics.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1679 on: October 21, 2019, 03:08:08 PM »

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1680 on: October 21, 2019, 06:35:02 PM »

This is really good!

Holy ****. This may win me over.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1681 on: October 21, 2019, 07:30:06 PM »

What are "authentic assessments that allow students to demonstrate learning in multiple different ways"?  Does Warren ever specify this?
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1682 on: October 21, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »

Standardized tests: Finland’s education system vs. the U.S.

Finland's education system does not asses student learning in basic education with standardized testing. Instead, teachers receive general assessment guidelines and assess the students themselves. The Finnish system also encourages students to develop self-assessment skills and develop their own benchmarks for progress.

Warren was a teacher before this rise of totally garbage standardized testing took over the school system at every level. Her being against it is not very hard to imagine or some vague plot.
James Monroe

« Reply #1683 on: October 21, 2019, 07:36:23 PM »

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1684 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:02 PM »

Having been in the American education system for most of my life, I'm sick of hearing teachers complain about standardized tests and then administer them to us anyway at the end of every semester. They don't test creative thinking or a student's ability to look at a problem from multiple perspectives. It's a depressing experience. I know I'm an insane libertarian poster, but Warren is absolutely right about this. I hope she sticks to it.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1685 on: October 21, 2019, 07:57:52 PM »

END STANDARDIZED TESTING NOW.  Every child is different, every child has their own unique mind, their own strengths, and learning style, you can't measure kids based on a standardized test.  It should have no place in our schools.  Period.
jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1686 on: October 21, 2019, 08:49:19 PM »

IDGAF, I’m speaking this ticket into existence!
I want something bold and energizing
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1687 on: October 21, 2019, 10:10:15 PM »

Total fraud. Supported Trump's 700B$ military budget & gave him  the tools to commit war crimes & kill children in Yemen.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1688 on: October 21, 2019, 10:15:56 PM »

Having been in the American education system for most of my life, I'm sick of hearing teachers complain about standardized tests and then administer them to us anyway at the end of every semester. They don't test creative thinking or a student's ability to look at a problem from multiple perspectives. It's a depressing experience. I know I'm an insane libertarian poster, but Warren is absolutely right about this. I hope she sticks to it.

To be fair, do you think public school teachers have a choice in the matter?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1689 on: October 21, 2019, 11:04:14 PM »

IDGAF, I’m speaking this ticket into existence!
I want something bold and energizing

No offense but can you chill with the images? And you've posted this several times, including creating threads, we get it. LOL.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1690 on: October 21, 2019, 11:07:57 PM »

Total fraud. Supported Trump's 700B$ military budget & gave him  the tools to commit war crimes & kill children in Yemen.

And if she had come out against the protests, you'd say she supports Hezbollah. We get it.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1691 on: October 21, 2019, 11:09:37 PM »

To clarify: That's my point about why it's depressing. The teacher lectures you on how standardized tests are terrible and then is forced to feed you standardized tests. A good deal of my education has been spent learning about why my education is not very good. It doesn't exactly instill kids with confidence.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1692 on: October 21, 2019, 11:19:03 PM »

To clarify: That's my point about why it's depressing. The teacher lectures you on how standardized tests are terrible and then is forced to feed you standardized tests. A good deal of my education has been spent learning about why my education is not very good. It doesn't exactly instill kids with confidence.

Ah, well yes, it's pretty depressing for everyone involved. A lot of teachers would love to dedicate class time to more project-based and experiential learning. That's why it gives me hope that we might finally have someone who understands the damage that the standardized testing craze has done to our education system in a position of power to fundamentally change it.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1693 on: October 21, 2019, 11:22:08 PM »

Bernie in 2013:

Sanders’ provision would create a demonstration program that would allow a state or consortium of states to implement a student assessment system that would move away from standardized tests, and toward task-based assessments that require students to demonstrate the ability to use course content in innovative ways. Standardized tests required by No Child Left Behind have narrowed the curriculum and constrained educators who feel they must “teach to the test.” The approach advocated in Sanders’ legislation would expand the curriculum and allow educators the flexibility to provide a comprehensive education.

www.sanders.senate.gov/newsletters/reforming-no-child-left-behind
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1694 on: October 21, 2019, 11:24:09 PM »

Ah, well yes, it's pretty depressing for everyone involved. A lot of teachers would love to dedicate class time to more project-based and experiential learning. That's why it gives me hope that we might finally have someone who understands the damage that the standardized testing craze has done to our education system in a position of power to fundamentally change it.

Honestly, it's too much of a performance-based endeavour even without standardized tests. The focus should be on actionable feedback that meets students where they're at and helps them build skills incrementally. It should not be about grades, scores, and grade-grubbing.

Anyway, I digress.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1695 on: October 21, 2019, 11:32:11 PM »

IA and NH are battlegrounds states and Warren maintaining a lead as long as she did was good on her party. The states are likely to revert back to Biden due to his standing in the polls against Trump. Warren is still gonna place in the top 3 with Biden, Buttigieg and Warren
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1696 on: October 21, 2019, 11:40:16 PM »

Honestly, it's too much of a performance-based endeavour even without standardized tests. The focus should be on actionable feedback that meets students where they're at and helps them build skills incrementally. It should not be about grades, scores, and grade-grubbing.

Anyway, I digress.

One thing that my state does right is that teachers are evaluated on student growth rather than achievement. That doesn't address the issue of districts being obsessed with performance data, but it at least gives value to the improvement of all students, rather than simply whether or not students are "meeting standard."
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1697 on: October 22, 2019, 11:43:28 AM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to this by any means, but I think folks here are really over-simplifying the issue.  I want to know what she's going to replace it with because right now it doesn't sound like she has a real plan of her own about how to evaluate teachers and schools without such tests.  What she's doing is like when Republicans were essentially saying "we need to repeal Obamacare and replace it with some nonsense someone drunkenly scribbled on a napkin."
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1698 on: October 22, 2019, 12:33:31 PM »

Anyone wanna guess the reactions to this tweet? Surely sane and rational support for a progressive supporting another progressive, right? Smiley

YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1699 on: October 22, 2019, 12:35:41 PM »

I hate Flores but good to see another Sanders 16/Warren 20 endorser.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71 72 73 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies