Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 04:37:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 133739 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1000 on: September 07, 2019, 11:35:11 PM »

There's no "Paid for by you (not the millionaires and billionaires)" on her ads.
Wonder why she can't use this tagline! Think there might be something more basic than principled opposition to the rhetoric...
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1001 on: September 08, 2019, 12:00:40 AM »

There's no "Paid for by you (not the millionaires and billionaires)" on her ads.
Wonder why she can't use this tagline! Think there might be something more basic than principled opposition to the rhetoric...

Oh, she also doesn't brazenly encourage her supporters to always assume the worst of people who would otherwise be allies.  Because she understands that she needs all the help she can get to enact her agenda.  Where Bernie, on the other hand, doesn't want any help because he thinks he can force Mitch McConnell to support single-payer health care by sending an army of college students to protest in suburban Kentucky.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1002 on: September 08, 2019, 12:17:10 AM »

One of the key differences between Sanders and Warren is that Sanders is fundamentally a savior populist.  Bernie wants you to believe that:
  • Everyone who's woke supports his policies, and those who oppose him have been hoodwinked by corporate lies
  • All other politicians are 100% corrupt, bought and paid for by corporations.  That's why they won't support his policies.
  • The Democratic Party and all its affiliates are 100% enslaved to corporations, that is why they won't rig the primary for him and make him king of the party.
  • Any policies other than his own will doom the country... no, the planet! to death and destruction, misery and poverty.
  • He is the only one who can rescue is, because he is the only pure, non-corrupted politician in America.
  • Any tactics, no matter how dishonest or vicious, or how ostensibly friendly the targets, are therefore justified in the name of rescuing the planet.  The stakes are just too high.

Warren doesn't do most of this crap.

She does tend to demonize opposing policies rather than debating on their merits, but it doesn't rise to the level of Bernie "Joe Biden's health care plan is equivalent to 13 9/11s" Sanders.

She doesn't attack the Democratic Party or other Democrats.

She doesn't accuse every other politician of being bought-and-paid-for by big corporations.  There's no "Paid for by you (not the millionaires and billionaires)" on her ads.

She doesn't claim, like Trump, to be the only one who can rescue America.  There's no savior complex with Warren.

She doesn't use absurd hyperbole to exacerbate the problems and solutions she's discussing, which means real discussions can be had rather than every disagreement becoming "why do you want 50 million people to die."

She doesn't staff her campaign with extreme Twitter aggros and Jill Stein flunkies like Nina Turner, David Sirota, Briahna Gray, or Winnie Wong, or recruit as surrogates lunatics like Linda Sarsour, Susan Sarandon, RoseAnn DeMoro, Killer Mike, Cornel West, Shaun King, everyone in the TYT Network, and all these horseshoe-theory conspiracy wackos like Jimmy Dore.  That is to say, she isn't proudly building a movement of the absolute worst people calling themselves leftists.

She's just running for president, not trying to start a personality cult where supporting her becomes your entire identity and you envelop yourself in a world of disingenuous alternative media sources that are openly biased in her favor and sh*t all over everyone else.

She isn't going to start a Super PAC to recruit primary opponents for other Dem senators if she loses.

Is it any wonder Democratic Party insiders prefer her over Bernie?

And no, having a preference for a candidate is not "rigging."  You have to actually take an action to rig the primary for it to be "rigging."  Otherwise it's just an "endorsement."

I am a Bernie 2016 voter who switched to vote for Trump for exactly the reasons you listed above. You see, as sjoyce said, the Democratic party is largely bankrolled by millionaires and billionaires. This is despite saying they are a "grassroots movement" and funded by small donors.

This is outright unacceptable for me - I joined the Republican party in protest to teach the Democrats a lesson. They deserve to lose for as long as they pull this kind of stuff. If the Democrats can't see the light and become a truly progressive party in all aspects, they aren't worthy of my vote.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1003 on: September 08, 2019, 12:28:53 AM »

One of the key differences between Sanders and Warren is that Sanders is fundamentally a savior populist.  Bernie wants you to believe that:
  • Everyone who's woke supports his policies, and those who oppose him have been hoodwinked by corporate lies
  • All other politicians are 100% corrupt, bought and paid for by corporations.  That's why they won't support his policies.
  • The Democratic Party and all its affiliates are 100% enslaved to corporations, that is why they won't rig the primary for him and make him king of the party.
  • Any policies other than his own will doom the country... no, the planet! to death and destruction, misery and poverty.
  • He is the only one who can rescue is, because he is the only pure, non-corrupted politician in America.
  • Any tactics, no matter how dishonest or vicious, or how ostensibly friendly the targets, are therefore justified in the name of rescuing the planet.  The stakes are just too high.

She does tend to demonize opposing policies rather than debating on their merits, but it doesn't rise to the level of Bernie "Joe Biden's health care plan is equivalent to 13 9/11s" Sanders.

She doesn't accuse every other politician of being bought-and-paid-for by big corporations.  There's no "Paid for by you (not the millionaires and billionaires)" on her ads.

She doesn't claim, like Trump, to be the only one who can rescue America.  There's no savior complex with Warren.

She doesn't use absurd hyperbole to exacerbate the problems and solutions she's discussing, which means real discussions can be had rather than every disagreement becoming "why do you want 50 million people to die."

She doesn't staff her campaign with extreme Twitter aggros and Jill Stein flunkies like Nina Turner, David Sirota, Briahna Gray, or Winnie Wong, or recruit as surrogates lunatics like Linda Sarsour, Susan Sarandon, RoseAnn DeMoro, Killer Mike, Cornel West, Shaun King, everyone in the TYT Network, and all these horseshoe-theory conspiracy wackos like Jimmy Dore.  That is to say, she isn't proudly building a movement of the absolute worst people calling themselves leftists.

She's just running for president, not trying to start a personality cult where supporting her becomes your entire identity and you envelop yourself in a world of disingenuous alternative media sources that are openly biased in her favor and sh*t all over everyone else.

She isn't going to start a Super PAC to recruit primary opponents for other Dem senators if she loses.

And no, having a preference for a candidate is not "rigging."  You have to actually take an action to rig the primary for it to be "rigging."  Otherwise it's just an "endorsement."

I am a Bernie 2016 voter who switched to vote for Trump for exactly the reasons you listed above. You see, as sjoyce said, the Democratic party is largely bankrolled by millionaires and billionaires. This is despite saying they are a "grassroots movement" and funded by small donors.

This is outright unacceptable for me - I joined the Republican party in protest to teach the Democrats a lesson. They deserve to lose for as long as they pull this kind of stuff. If the Democrats can't see the light and become a truly progressive party in all aspects, they aren't worthy of my vote.
So... you decided to vote Republican? That makes total sense
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1004 on: September 08, 2019, 12:38:47 AM »

This is why Trump won.

I’m strongly considering a Dick Cheney write in vote for 2020 if Dems don’t get it together.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1005 on: September 08, 2019, 12:43:50 AM »

So... you decided to vote Republican? That makes total sense

There's a lot of sh*( that you can gain with a party that seems to believe in nothing but f*(king libs and cutting taxes if you play the cards right. Look at how Trump advocated for single-payer healthcare to thunderous applause in 2015!

In contrast, the current Democratic Party, at least since Watergate is obsessed with norms [of which anti-racism just happens to be one] and appeasing the concern troll media...and otherwise believes in nothing....they can't even agree on f*(king the "f&*k the libs" crowd!  
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1006 on: September 08, 2019, 12:46:24 AM »

You guys can all laugh when Biden tries to pass some watered down version of a public option and Hickenlooper, Manchin, and Warren will talk about compromising with Republicans even further to get some Koch-funded crap. We need a real progressive, not a former Republican. We can even see that Massachusetts and Oklahoma, both homes of Warren, feel about her - Oklahoma voted in a landslide for Bernie in 2016's primary, and Massachusetts is a place where Bernie was incredibly strong in. In addition, Warren under-performed in her re-election last year. Bernie? He romped to victory again. Also, only one candidate has been tested nationwide. Who is it?

Oh yeah. Bernie. Who beats Trump more than Warren does in polls. Call me back to the party when Bernie gets the nomination.

This is why Trump won.

I’m strongly considering a Dick Cheney write in vote for 2020 if Dems don’t get it together.

Dick Cheney is a little bit too much of a neocon for me, but it may take another middle eastern genocide before America wakes up for progressive values again. After all, look at the 2006 wave - it took 12 years of Republicans dominating Congress before Democrats could win it all back. It may be needed again.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1007 on: September 08, 2019, 12:52:02 AM »

Warren's and Bernie's proposals were already shot down in the secular Congress of 2007-2011, when Dems had the House and Senate and Obama 2/4 yrs. Remember: Lieberman, Specter, Collins and Snowe gave Obama 60 votes on Obamacare, contingent that there was no public option. Sanders and Warren have repackaged their Medicare for all as a public option for Health care. Dems only have 230 votes in House not 255
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #1008 on: September 08, 2019, 01:39:10 AM »

This is such a nonsensical and bizarre attitude. Your logic seems to be this:

Democrats -> To much associating with the rich
Therefore: Must be punished
Options for punishment:
-Don't vote: Pro-Democrats won't get your vote, no association will rich people Con-Not enough suffering
-Vote 3rd party: Pro-Democrats won't get your vote, some association with rich people but not as much then Democrats, Con-Not enough suffering
-Vote Republican: Pro-Democrats won't get your vote, sufficient suffering, Con-way more associating with the rich than Democrats

Choice: Republicans, reason -> To maximally punish Democrats for association with the rich, vote for the party MAXIMALLY associated with the rich!

Aka: This is just so... so... dumb.

Okay, okay, ignoring the massive evidence showing the Democratic party, and a number of candidates for many different offices, working hard to actually have a broad funding base so they're explicitly not beholden to the upper class...

All of this argument... its... This is like... shooting yourself in the foot isn't good enough, you gotta saw off both of legs and at least one arm. Two if you can manage it. This is the kind of behavior you engage in if you are a time traveler from an alternative time line and haven't bothered to do any research on how things diverged from your home time line since 1888. And this is the kind of argument you can only make if you are in fact lying through your teeth, because otherwise it makes no damn sense at all.

So yeah... I don't think anyone should believe you about anything, ever. Because it is quite clear you have no ability to argue in good faith or the willingness to give people a straight answer about what you actually believe.

And I gotta believe you are lying to us, because the alternative is way less flattering in its connotations. I'd rather believe you think we're stupid, than for you to actually be such.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1009 on: September 08, 2019, 01:48:23 AM »

This is such a nonsensical and bizarre attitude. Your logic seems to be this:

Democrats -> To much associating with the rich
Therefore: Must be punished
Options for punishment:
-Don't vote: Pro-Democrats won't get your vote, no association will rich people Con-Not enough suffering
-Vote 3rd party: Pro-Democrats won't get your vote, some association with rich people but not as much then Democrats, Con-Not enough suffering
-Vote Republican: Pro-Democrats won't get your vote, sufficient suffering, Con-way more associating with the rich than Democrats

Choice: Republicans, reason -> To maximally punish Democrats for association with the rich, vote for the party MAXIMALLY associated with the rich!

Aka: This is just so... so... dumb.

Okay, okay, ignoring the massive evidence showing the Democratic party, and a number of candidates for many different offices, working hard to actually have a broad funding base so they're explicitly not beholden to the upper class...

All of this argument... its... This is like... shooting yourself in the foot isn't good enough, you gotta saw off both of legs and at least one arm. Two if you can manage it. This is the kind of behavior you engage in if you are a time traveler from an alternative time line and haven't bothered to do any research on how things diverged from your home time line since 1888. And this is the kind of argument you can only make if you are in fact lying through your teeth, because otherwise it makes no damn sense at all.

So yeah... I don't think anyone should believe you about anything, ever. Because it is quite clear you have no ability to argue in good faith or the willingness to give people a straight answer about what you actually believe.

And I gotta believe you are lying to us, because the alternative is way less flattering in its connotations. I'd rather believe you think we're stupid, than for you to actually be such.

I am being totally honest - one person calling me stupid won't end my beliefs.

If you play the 1995 game "Earthbound", there is a segment where a character has all their senses taken away as a test of their strength. My voting philosophy is something like that. Marianne Williamson is a candidate I also strongly support, since she also understands these tests of mental strength and how difficult they can be.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1010 on: September 08, 2019, 01:52:51 AM »

Remember: Lieberman, Specter, Collins and Snowe gave Obama 60 votes on Obamacare, contingent that there was no public option.

WTF are you talking about?  Collins and Snowe both voted against Obamacare.  Olympia Snowe was thinking about voting for the bill if it had no public option but decided not to.  Her vote wasn't needed once Ben Nelson was won over with the Cornhusker Kickback.  Lieberman single-handedly killed the public option.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1011 on: September 08, 2019, 01:55:09 AM »

If you play the 1995 game "Earthbound", there is a segment where a character has all their senses taken away as a test of their strength. My voting philosophy is something like that. Marianne Williamson is a candidate I also strongly support, since she also understands these tests of mental strength and how difficult they can be.

The sad thing is that people can't tell you're obviously trolling.  Because so many Bernie 2016 voters really did vote Republican, or 3rd party, or stay home, and give exactly the same kinds of asinine justifications that you're sarcastically giving.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1012 on: September 08, 2019, 02:11:43 AM »

Remember: Lieberman, Specter, Collins and Snowe gave Obama 60 votes on Obamacare, contingent that there was no public option.

WTF are you talking about?  Collins and Snowe both voted against Obamacare.  Olympia Snowe was thinking about voting for the bill if it had no public option but decided not to.  Her vote wasn't needed once Ben Nelson was won over with the Cornhusker Kickback.  Lieberman single-handedly killed the public option.

Lieberman didn't kill the public option. The reconciliation vote didn't get Lieberman's vote, or Bayh's, or Ben Nelson's. It was after Scott Brown was elected, and passed with 56 votes. 6 Democrats could have flipped, and we still could have gotten the public option.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #1013 on: September 08, 2019, 02:26:21 AM »

The sad thing is that people can't tell you're obviously trolling.  Because so many Bernie 2016 voters really did vote Republican, or 3rd party, or stay home, and give exactly the same kinds of asinine justifications that you're sarcastically giving.

Ah, so you're saying this isn't someone being a liar or a fool but someone who has caught on to the realities of Poe's Law when it comes to these sorts of statements? So... a fool and a liar, just of a different sort. Got it.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1014 on: September 08, 2019, 02:37:33 AM »

Ah, so you're saying this isn't someone being a liar or a fool but someone who has caught on to the realities of Poe's Law when it comes to these sorts of statements? So... a fool and a liar, just of a different sort. Got it.

I'm saying this post would be a perfect example of Poe's Law if not for the fact that Olawakandi is a known troll who can never be taken seriously.
Perlen vor den Schweinen
kongress
United States

« Reply #1015 on: September 08, 2019, 02:40:22 AM »

I'm saying this post would be a perfect example of Poe's Law if not for the fact that Olawakandi is a known troll who can never be taken seriously.

One man's troll is another man's treasure.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1016 on: September 08, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »

Oh, she also doesn't brazenly encourage her supporters to always assume the worst of people who would otherwise be allies.  Because she understands that she needs all the help she can get to enact her agenda.  Where Bernie, on the other hand, doesn't want any help because he thinks he can force Mitch McConnell to support single-payer health care by sending an army of college students to protest in suburban Kentucky.

Oh no Sad Bernie supporters are assuming that billionaires are bad people Sad They're being so mean to Jeff Bezos! How ever will I secure my campaign contributions now?? Sad
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1017 on: September 08, 2019, 10:12:43 AM »

Warren must really have folks sweating because this thread seems to have been invaded by fake progressives who vote Trump, and the followers of a failed political movement.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1018 on: September 08, 2019, 10:29:52 AM »

Warren must really have folks sweating because this thread seems to have been invaded by fake progressives who vote Trump, and the followers of a failed political movement.
The thread is to discuss Elizabeth Warren's campaign for president, not to uncritically promote Elizabeth Warren.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1019 on: September 08, 2019, 11:28:11 AM »

The thread is to discuss Elizabeth Warren's campaign for president, not to uncritically promote Elizabeth Warren.

So levy a valid critique. Because I'll I'm hearing is sour grapes.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1020 on: September 08, 2019, 11:56:10 AM »

This is why Trump won.

Billionaire Jeffrey Katzenberg is a big-time gay rights supporter.  The Democrats have fought for gay rights for decades and ultimately succeeded in legalizing gay marriage nationwide.  Katzenberg gave millions of dollars to keep them in power, rather than letting Republicans roll back that progress.

This is fundamentally unacceptable to me and demonstrates the horrifying corruption of the Democratic Party, which doesn't give a hoot about the voter and only answers to fat cat billionaires and their deep pockets.

To teach them a lesson, I will be writing in serial killer BTK on all my ballots.  I only wish there was someone more horrible I could write in.  The worse of a person I actually vote for, the more of a lesson the Democrats will learn.

The lesson, of course, being that I am a f**ing moron and they shouldn't waste their time including me in the coalition.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1021 on: September 08, 2019, 12:35:05 PM »

The really bizarre thing about the critique that Warren is somehow in the pocket of third way billionaires is that she... has several decades-worth of evidence she clearly isn't.

Like, I get the arguments that other candidates are "bought and paid for" by special interests or wealthy donors. I think the truth is a little more complex and nuanced than that but there's something to the argument that these people are faced with some conflicts of interest that often cause them to deviate from what the base wants. For Biden, Harris, Buttigieg, etc. I can see that argument being plausible.

But Warren is pretty obviously not that, right? I can't see any other argument for how she is somehow corrupted that doesn't already assume the conclusion a priori. If you really think that Warren is a candidate who somehow is willingly courting rich-donor dollars so she can turn around and violate the basic premise of her campaign, then your brain is either mush or you have been paying zero attention to this election outside of listening to chapo (often these two things are related).

There's this really interesting dynamic among the hardcore Bernie fans where they spent four years whining about how the party had nobody else that was like Bernie Sanders. Then when somebody else came along who basically does what Bernie does, and in some ways does it better than him, then either that person is obviously corrupt (for... reasons) or they're a Bernie copy-cat, which is somehow a bad thing. It's easily the most cancerous part of a movement that has done a lot of good for the party in the last half-decade - the belief that nobody but Bernie Sanders, not even somebody who has been espousing Bernieism for the last two decades, can fix the country. God help us if Bernie actually gets elected and you people realize how little of this stuff he can get done, or how often reality is much more complex than he lets on.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1022 on: September 08, 2019, 12:39:33 PM »

Bernie would support any democrat, why won't you Bernie Bros.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1023 on: September 08, 2019, 01:56:45 PM »

I have enjoyed my time here.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1024 on: September 08, 2019, 03:53:29 PM »

Trumpworld Anxiety Grows Over a Rising Elizabeth Warren

They once thought they’d delivered the political kill shot. But now GOP operatives are complaining that nothing sticks to Warren.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies