Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:11:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 79
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 134948 times)
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: July 06, 2019, 01:12:49 PM »

Adding to the busing discussion, they were able to find Warren's first law review article from 1975 which addressed this issue...

Wow. And she was a blatant conservative at the time, no?

She described herself as conservative but not politically engaged. Also this was a time when social conservatism and other types of conservatism (e.g., fiscal, judicial) were not so tightly connected.

I mean, you'd think that a staunch fiscal conservative would also oppose busing even then.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #651 on: July 06, 2019, 01:20:06 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2019, 04:41:53 PM by WARR BOY »

Adding to the busing discussion, they were able to find Warren's first law review article from 1975 which addressed this issue...

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1147543871804661760?s=20
https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1147545469918355457?s=20

She described herself as conservative but not politically engaged. Also this was a time when social conservatism and other types of conservatism (e.g., fiscal, judicial) were not so tightly connected.

I mean, you'd think that a staunch fiscal conservative would also oppose busing even then.

Fair point. I'll modify that to say that social conservatism (e.g. attitudes about race) and other strains of conservatism were probably not as cross-pressured as they are today. I.e., one could identify as a conservative but still prioritize racial sympathy over other positions on, e.g., government intervention? I'm spitballing here.

editing to add: this is part of why I think the whole "Warren was a Republican until the 90s" attack to be incredibly stupid. There are a couple of other reasons but this is an obvious one.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #652 on: July 06, 2019, 08:03:47 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2019, 08:21:55 PM by Cultural Marxist »

Fair point. I'll modify that to say that social conservatism (e.g. attitudes about race) and other strains of conservatism were probably not as cross-pressured as they are today. I.e., one could identify as a conservative but still prioritize racial sympathy over other positions on, e.g., government intervention? I'm spitballing here.

editing to add: this is part of why I think the whole "Warren was a Republican until the 90s" attack to be incredibly stupid. There are a couple of other reasons but this is an obvious one.

I mean, she was VERY fiscally conservative and anti-consumer. I have no reason to doubt her political transformation being genuine; I just wish she would own up to her past and admit to the error of her ways. Otherwise it'll come back to bite her if she tries to attack Harris or Biden on their pasts.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #653 on: July 06, 2019, 08:36:52 PM »

I mean, she was VERY fiscally conservative and anti-consumer. I have no reason to doubt her political transformation being genuine; I just wish she would own up to her past and admit to the error of her ways. Otherwise it'll come back to bite her if she tries to attack Harris or Biden on their pasts.
It would be very weird to attack her for being a voter when Harris & Biden can be attacked for what they did while in office on the tax payer’s dime. Attacking somebody for being a Republican just seems odd especially considering there will be some level of persuasion for soft GOP women and GOP-leaning independents.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #654 on: July 06, 2019, 09:06:45 PM »

My point is that if she calls out Biden for his record, he could just say, "well at least I was a Democrat." She needs to preempt that by owning up to it.
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #655 on: July 06, 2019, 09:10:47 PM »

My point is that if she calls out Biden for his record, he could just say, "well at least I was a Democrat." She needs to preempt that by owning up to it.

Dawg she was a private citizen then. She reevaluated and changed course. There's nothing really to apologize for.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #656 on: July 06, 2019, 09:32:46 PM »

Dawg she was a private citizen then. She reevaluated and changed course. There's nothing really to apologize for.
Past party affiliation is a stupid rabbit hole to go down considering both the current president and Vice President are former Democrats, Trump having been a very liberal Democrat only a couple of years before he ran for president
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #657 on: July 06, 2019, 09:40:38 PM »

Past party affiliation is a stupid rabbit hole to go down considering both the current president and Vice President are former Democrats, Trump having been a very liberal Democrat only a couple of years before he ran for president

Is there a good running mate that Warren can pick so that the 2 tickets were 2 Democrats and 2 Republicans for the 1980 election, but opposite ways?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #658 on: July 06, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »

Is there a good running mate that Warren can pick so that the 2 tickets were 2 Democrats and 2 Republicans for the 1980 election, but opposite ways?

Charlie Crist?
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #659 on: July 06, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »

I'd support a Warren/Harris or Harris/Warren ticket in 2020.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #660 on: July 07, 2019, 12:35:59 AM »

I don't think Trump voted for Carter. He was quite the Republican in the 80's and stayed that way until the late '90's when things got weird.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #661 on: July 07, 2019, 05:11:50 AM »

Yes absolutely. But if you voted for Ronald Reagan she should absolutely be disqualified in the mids of Dems voters.

Reagan was 100 times worse than Trump & he is the reason why there is someone like Trump today.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #662 on: July 07, 2019, 08:17:54 AM »

I mean, she was writing conservative law review articles back then. Look, this doesn't disqualify her at all in my eyes; I'm just saying she needs to prepare for that as an attack.
Possiblymaybe
« Reply #663 on: July 07, 2019, 08:33:06 AM »

Warren and Harris Rise in Democratic Primary, Challenging Male Front-Runners
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/07/us/politics/kamala-harris-elizabeth-warren-democrats-2020.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #664 on: July 07, 2019, 11:19:37 AM »

Yes absolutely. But if you voted for Ronald Reagan she should absolutely be disqualified in the mids of Dems voters.

Reagan was 100 times worse than Trump & he is the reason why there is someone like Trump today.

No. I can 100% guarantee that your obsession with Warren being a Republican until the 1990s is a way of rationalizing your support for Bernie.

It functionally has absolutely zero effect on how she would govern. You're looking for reasons to not vote for her because you're threatened by her.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #665 on: July 07, 2019, 11:13:55 PM »

Why do you think Reagan was worse than Trump? Reagan oversaw a massive amnesty of illegal immigrants and his economic policies were basically the same. It makes sense for someone like me to think Reagan was worse but I'm curious why you do?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #666 on: July 07, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »

She never voted for Reagan.

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/19/elizabeth-warren-opens-up-about-her-choices-in-every-presidential-election-since-1972/
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #667 on: July 08, 2019, 08:23:06 AM »

Almost everyone in 1972 voted for Nixon.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #668 on: July 08, 2019, 09:12:01 AM »

I'm more referring to her old law review articles, some of which were quite conservative and anti-consumer.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #669 on: July 08, 2019, 01:07:40 PM »

Warren rakes in $19 million despite no fundraisers

This shows the strength of her grassroots support, even with eschewing big money donors she's up there with Biden and Pete.
Ilhan Apologist
Glowfish

« Reply #670 on: July 08, 2019, 01:16:09 PM »

Warren rakes in $19 million despite no fundraisers

This shows the strength of her grassroots support, even with eschewing big money donors she's up there with Biden and Pete.

Hell yes!
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #671 on: July 08, 2019, 01:28:16 PM »

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!
jacobmeteorite
jafcontact
Rookie
United States

« Reply #672 on: July 08, 2019, 03:08:48 PM »

SHE'S GOT THIS!
Go Liz!
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #673 on: July 08, 2019, 07:32:53 PM »

No. I can 100% guarantee that your obsession with Warren being a Republican until the 1990s is a way of rationalizing your support for Bernie.

It functionally has absolutely zero effect on how she would govern. You're looking for reasons to not vote for her because you're threatened by her.

This is precisely shy Bernie won't be the nominee too--through no fault of his own, but rather through the puritanism of his supporters.

Being disproportionately white, I would be willing to bet that most of them were raised in conservative or at least liberal homes, and came to Leftism only by virtue of our higher education system like I did. Even then, sometimes the ideology takes years to incubate. Unlearning your ideological conditioning (and by the way, the way that some of his male supporters haven't really unlearnt racism or sexism) takes time. Warren should be commended for overcoming her upbringing, just like most of them did, but instead they use it as a weapon against her.

If they want to criticize her taking big $ in past campaigns, fair. Policy differences, sure. Waiting to endorse Medicare for all, yes. Not endorsing Bernie, I am here for that. But the "she was a Repub" argument is so weak when many of them were too.
SInNYC

« Reply #674 on: July 09, 2019, 08:08:28 AM »

This is precisely shy Bernie won't be the nominee too--through no fault of his own, but rather through the puritanism of his supporters.

I see way more "he isn't even a Democrat" against Sanders than I do "she was a Republican" against Warren.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies