Merry Christmas from Uncle Pat
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 08:20:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Merry Christmas from Uncle Pat
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Merry Christmas from Uncle Pat  (Read 1392 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 25, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »

https://buchanan.org/blog/christmas-2018-not-the-worst-of-times-130855

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »

Buchanan is mostly correct about why the warmongering gutter trash that compromise the neolib/neocon establishment are angry about the pullout. While I agree with the pullout, Trump did not do this because he aligns with Pat or paleocons ideologically. If he did he would have pulled out in the first few months of his presidency instead of letting more soldiers die for nothing.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 02:52:15 PM »

Buchanan is mostly correct about why the warmongering gutter trash that compromise the neolib/neocon establishment are angry about the pullout. While I agree with the pullout, Trump did not do this because he aligns with Pat or paleocons ideologically. If he did he would have pulled out in the first few months of his presidency instead of letting more soldiers die for nothing.

One observation I have made is that Trump has often had to fill key positions with other Republicans that disagree with him on key issues.  I sense that in the selection process, many of these Republicans have intially muted their disagreements (A) to get the job and (B) to actively work to get Trump to inch to their side.

The rude shock they have received, I believe, is that Trump, far from having no ideas on how to proceed on any number of fronts, has LOTS of ideas on how to proceed, some of which conflict with their dogma, and he's not going to compromise with people who should be advancing HIS (Trump's) proposals  Some of this is Trump's fault; there are any number of appointees he's selected that would end up in disagreement with him.  People who carry out a President's policies faithfully are often derided as lackeys, but that's what they're in their positions to do.

I hope that Trump can find persons who adhere to HIS vision of policy and adhere to it in THEIR duties.  Trump WAS elected to disengage us from any number of foreign entanglements and wars, including Afghanistan.  Truthfully, Trump ending the ridiculous number of wars we have plunged into would be his greatest legacy, and I hope he is not dissuaded from this.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 02:58:27 PM »

FB world: “Trump pulled out of Syria because he’s a man of the people fighting a great populist war against the evil establishment.”
The real world: Trump pulled out of Syria as a favor for Erdogan in exchange for them dropping the Khashoggi murder
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 03:00:35 PM »

FB world: “Trump pulled out of Syria because he’s a man of the people fighting a great populist war against the evil establishment.”
The real world: Trump pulled out of Syria as a favor for Erdogan in exchange for them dropping the Khashoggi murder

I really don't care why.  I'm glad we're pulling out of Syria.  It's not our fight, and never was.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 03:02:34 PM »

I really don't care why.  I'm glad we're pulling out of Syria.  It's not our fight, and never was.
So you don’t care that Trump is trying to coverup the murder of a US resident and journalist? Very Christian
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 03:05:23 PM »

It could have been a triumph for the United States had Obama and the parliament of the United Kingdom decided to be more proactive over Assad's use of chemical weapons, but nothing to do now... Let's hope Trump manages to negotiate some mercy for the Kurds.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 03:19:16 PM »

So you don’t care that Trump is trying to coverup the murder of a US resident and journalist? Very Christian

To what degree is the Khashoggi murder (assuming it is a murder) an event that should dictate our foreign policy?

To what degree would staying in Syria and maintaining our military involvement there for the sake of avenging Mr. Khashoggi be in our national interest?

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 03:49:50 PM »

To what degree is the Khashoggi murder (assuming it is a murder) an event that should dictate our foreign policy?

To what degree would staying in Syria and maintaining our military involvement there for the sake of avenging Mr. Khashoggi be in our national interest?

First off “assuming it is” WTF? Literally everyone but Trump and SA agree it was. Second, staying in Syria has nothing to do with “avenging Khashoggi” so why you’re trying to argue as such is beyond me.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2018, 05:45:19 PM »

First off “assuming it is” WTF? Literally everyone but Trump and SA agree it was. Second, staying in Syria has nothing to do with “avenging Khashoggi” so why you’re trying to argue as such is beyond me.

OK, then.  What should we have done and why?
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 05:51:38 PM »

I don't care for racist uncles
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 09:23:19 PM »

I swear that Buchanan's 1992 and 1996 campaigns forshadowed Trump.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 11:12:17 PM »

I really question the timing of the US pullout of Syria and the rumblings Turkey is making towards the Kurds.

I think Trump is more a combo of Perot 92 and Wallace 68.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2018, 01:35:27 AM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2018, 01:58:01 AM »

Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2018, 10:56:31 AM »

Watch as supporting war on Syria becomes the "woke" position.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »

Remember when Trump called Pat Atila the Hun
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2018, 09:10:07 AM »
« Edited: December 27, 2018, 09:16:30 AM by Pope Michael Bolton »

I really don't care why.  I'm glad we're pulling out of Syria.  It's not our fight, and never was.

Leaving the Kurds to be wiped out in a genocide because “it’s not our fight” seems pretty diametrically opposed to the idea that we are all our brothers’ keeper (in addition to being terrible foreign policy).

As for the OP excerpt, as usual, Buchanan has no idea what he’s talking about; leaving Syria is a terrible idea even by Trump’s standards.  The likely genocides against both the Kurds and the members of Assad’s ethnic group (Alawites IIRC) if we leave now are reason enough to stay, plus ISIS could easily gain a strong foothold if we leave and that is definitely our fight by almost any objective measure.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2018, 11:31:41 AM »

OW RRLY?!
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 04:31:52 PM »

I really don't care why.  I'm glad we're pulling out of Syria.  It's not our fight, and never was.

Leaving the Kurds to be wiped out in a genocide because “it’s not our fight” seems pretty diametrically opposed to the idea that we are all our brothers’ keeper (in addition to being terrible foreign policy).

As for the OP excerpt, as usual, Buchanan has no idea what he’s talking about; leaving Syria is a terrible idea even by Trump’s standards.  The likely genocides against both the Kurds and the members of Assad’s ethnic group (Alawites IIRC) if we leave now are reason enough to stay, plus ISIS could easily gain a strong foothold if we leave and that is definitely our fight by almost any objective measure.

The United Nations should attend to these matters, not the US.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »

Leaving it to the UN is a de facto death sentence for the Allawites and the Kurds (the latter of whom have been among out most stalwart allies in the region).  I’m sure the UN would handle it the same way they “handled” Rwanda: Look away awkwardly while innocent people are butchered like hogs.  I know that America can’t stop every genocide, but that’s no excuse for allowing the ones we can prevent.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2018, 07:45:48 PM »

The US is part of the United Nations you know...
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2018, 07:49:40 PM »

Anyway, America's most respectable Hitler apologist doesn't seem to understand that the US cannot simply wash its hands of what it and other actors have wrought in the Middle East (and elsewhere) unless it wants to allow the consequences of those actions to follow us home (and they will). And the least we can do for people like the Kurds and others whom we've promised so much (and betrayed almost as often) is to actually support them, even if only diplomatically.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2018, 10:34:29 PM »

Leaving it to the UN is a de facto death sentence for the Allawites and the Kurds (the latter of whom have been among out most stalwart allies in the region).  I’m sure the UN would handle it the same way they “handled” Rwanda: Look away awkwardly while innocent people are butchered like hogs.  I know that America can’t stop every genocide, but that’s no excuse for allowing the ones we can prevent.

This x 10.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 11:22:45 PM »

This x 10.

There always seems to be a reason to keep our troops in other countries. 

I am not a fan of what's happening, but exactly when are we actually going to withdraw our troops from fights that are not our fights?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies