Israeli General Election: April 9, 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 07:00:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election: April 9, 2019
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 46
Author Topic: Israeli General Election: April 9, 2019  (Read 72883 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2018, 12:12:50 AM »

I wonder if Chancellor Kurz will campaign with PM Netanyahu in Israel ahead of the election.

I think he might ...

They love right wing Austrians in Israel I hear.

You are mixing up the ÖVP with the FPÖ.

While the FPÖ gets boycotted by Netanyahu and many within Likud (not all of them) and most other Israeli elected officials, the ÖVP and Kurz are one of Netanyahu's biggest buddies on the globe.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »

I wonder if Chancellor Kurz will campaign with PM Netanyahu in Israel ahead of the election.

I think he might ...

While the FPÖ gets boycotted by Netanyahu and many within Likud (not all of them) and most other Israeli elected officials, the ÖVP and Kurz are one of Netanyahu's biggest buddies on the globe.

Don't specifically know about the FPÖ, but Netanyahu and his party usually love far-right politicians like Orban and Bolsonaro.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »

Frankly, I'd be rather worried if the average Israeli even knew who Kurz was
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2018, 03:04:52 PM »

I think he might ...

Don't specifically know about the FPÖ, but Netanyahu and his party usually love far-right politicians like Orban and Bolsonaro.

Netanyahu boycotts the FPÖ, even though today’s FPÖ is children’s birthday compared to Bolsonaro & Co.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2018, 08:24:39 AM »

Frankly, I'd be rather worried if the average Israeli even knew who Kurz was

Kurz got mentioned a lot in Israeli newspapers and TV over the past year, because he visited Israel several times.
You overestimate how much the average Israeli cares
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2018, 01:00:59 PM »

Jewish Home leader Naftali Bennett and Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked are going to leave the Jewish Home a create a new religious-secular united party.

I'm also hearing that crazy homoophobe Smotrich might take over the actual Jewish Home-National Union, but not sure at all.
Aboa
Rookie

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »

Jewish Home leader Naftali Bennett and Justice Minister Ayelet Shaked are going to leave the Jewish Home a create a new religious-secular united party.

I'm also hearing that crazy homoophobe Smotrich might take over the actual Jewish Home-National Union, but not sure at all.
So would the new party be more moderate regarding lgbt? Less outright racist towards muslims?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2018, 02:36:03 PM »

So would the new party be more moderate regarding lgbt? Less outright racist towards muslims?
In rhetoric only.

The new party will be called The New Right. It’s interesting to that it will be ran as Duumvirate with Shaked, meaning Bennet acknowledges his failing popularity.
I’m intrigued to see the sort of people that will join it on the secular side
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2018, 03:30:23 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2018, 03:33:46 PM by DavidB. »

Stupid decision. No Likud voter is suddenly going to vote for Bennett now. People who hated JH's Orthodox identity aren't voting for Bennett anyway. All this does is break up everything to the right of Likud. Bennett and Shaked should have waited for Bibi to leave, which he will one day. This is bad news.

The good thing is that the more right-wing remainder of the Jewish Home will probably still get in, which means there will finally be a real right-wing opposition party for the first time since the 2013 election. Supporting them now.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2018, 02:01:50 AM »

Don't like her, but Shaked is hot.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2018, 02:49:54 AM »

Yeah, she's a real hottie.

Too bad she's also a right-wing extremist from what I've read.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2018, 08:33:20 AM »

Isn’t Ayelet Shaked far and away the most popular incumbent Israeli Cabinet member? I assume a party led by her would at least be capable of passing the threshold. Also, the case of leading a small personalist minor party and using it as a vehicle to take the leadership of a major party has happened in Israel — presumably it would be easier for Bennett or Shaked to contend for Likud leadership from within a personalist vehicle than from Jewish Home, which is descended from the NRP and has a long history as an independent political force.

And, yeah, Ayelet Shaked is stunning.
danny
Israel

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2018, 01:31:43 PM »

Todays polls are all over the place with regards to the new Bennet Shaked party, between 6-14 seats, but they all agree that they beat what is left of the Jewish Home.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2018, 02:01:55 PM »

The Makor poll is amazing (giving 14 to Bennet and Shaked and again 5 to Bayit Yehudi and 25 to likud) but it's true that Bennett and Shaked are the most popular ministers (53 % for shaked, 44 % for bennett) so it's not impossible.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »

sexist...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »

Isn’t Ayelet Shaked far and away the most popular incumbent Israeli Cabinet member? I assume a party led by her would at least be capable of passing the threshold. Also, the case of leading a small personalist minor party and using it as a vehicle to take the leadership of a major party has happened in Israel — presumably it would be easier for Bennett or Shaked to contend for Likud leadership from within a personalist vehicle than from Jewish Home, which is descended from the NRP and has a long history as an independent political force.

And, yeah, Ayelet Shaked is stunning.

Yeah, as I said above, the electoral rules of Israel favor solving issues via out-party pathways like elections rather than in-party negotiations. There obviously going to have a future in Likud, but do you guys think they are dreaming bigger? Trying to build
case for ousting Bibi from the right similar to Gantz's moves from the Left/Center for example.
NamasteFabien
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: December 30, 2018, 02:14:34 PM »

As there are at least 7 right-wing parties running, the Times of Israel reports Netanyahu is trying to lower the electoral Threshold that he raised in 2014. Until now Shas opposed this, as it would make it easier for Yishai to get in, but as Shas is one the edge of threshold they might agree.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: December 30, 2018, 02:16:16 PM »

As there are at least 7 right-wing parties running, the Times of Israel reports Netanyahu is trying to lower the electoral Threshold that he raised in 2014. Until now Shas opposed this, as it would make it easier for Yishai to get in, but as Shas is one the edge of threshold they might agree.

I believe Meretz and Shas have announced opposition already, making it very unlikely.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2018, 04:37:46 PM »

The threshold should be abolished entirely so the legalise cannabis party can get in.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #69 on: December 30, 2018, 05:02:51 PM »

Lol when did calling a woman "hot" become offensive? Why does calling a woman "hot" attract backlash for a man when the case is quite the opposite if/when a woman calls a man "hot"?
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: December 30, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »

Lol when did calling a woman "hot" become offensive? Why does calling a woman "hot" attract backlash for a man when the case is quite the opposite if/when a woman calls a man "hot"?

While I agree with you; and as a gay guy I refer to attractive men as 'Hot' all the time without backlash; I would say 'Hot' in a political sense is more objectifying than saying something like 'she's attractive' or something of that sense.

Not really anything to get feathers ruffled over, though.

All I want is for despicable and corrupt Bibi to get the boot. Maybe him and Trump can share a jail cell.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2018, 08:24:29 PM »

While I agree with you; and as a gay guy I refer to attractive men as 'Hot' all the time without backlash; I would say 'Hot' in a political sense is more objectifying than saying something like 'she's attractive' or something of that sense.

Okay, yeah. Understandable lol

Not really anything to get feathers ruffled over, though.

True, my bad.

All I want is for despicable and corrupt Bibi to get the boot. Maybe him and Trump can share a jail cell.

This this this 1000x this
danny
Israel

« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2018, 03:04:08 AM »

Primary dates are being announced, Labour on 12/2 and Meretz on 14/2.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2018, 03:14:58 AM »

The Makor poll is amazing (giving 14 to Bennet and Shaked and again 5 to Bayit Yehudi and 25 to likud) but it's true that Bennett and Shaked are the most popular ministers (53 % for shaked, 44 % for bennett) so it's not impossible.
It’s a junk pollster, and it was conducted online, Likud has a large number of old voters that you can’t reach like that.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2019, 03:30:50 AM »

Dov Khanin retires from being an MK, Hadadh will have to pick a new Jew, they might try bringing in one of the really young ones like Alon Lee-Green
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies