Israeli General Election: April 9, 2019
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:42:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israeli General Election: April 9, 2019
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46
Author Topic: Israeli General Election: April 9, 2019  (Read 71818 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2018, 07:42:01 AM »
« edited: April 09, 2019, 10:47:58 PM by DavidB. »

The government parties couldn't agree on the proposed draft bill for the Haredim, so an early election will take place in April 2019 - probably April 9th.

Will write a longer OP when I feel like it (but the Israelis, who know more about this than I do, should feel free to do it too).

Threads like these always have a high risk of becoming "opinion of Netanyahu?" threads; please have the analysis here and the opinions here, in the Individual Politics thread that I just opened.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 07:59:09 AM »

I am always surprised how Likud support always seems to hold up despite various Netanyahu scandals.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »

It will be interesting to see how Benny Gantz will position himself in these elections: Will he run? Run in his own party? or join Yesh Atid, for example?

The latest poll, the Midgam one, shows Gantz with growing support and the main challenger of Netanyahu:

28 Likud
16 Gantz Party
13 Yesh Atid
12 The Joint (Arab) List
10 Zionist Union
  9 Bayit Yehudi
  7 Yahadut Hatorah/UTJ
  6 Yisrael Beitenu
  5 Kulanu
  5 Shas
  5 Orly Levy
  4 Meretz

60 Current Right-Religious Coalition
60 Current Center-Left-Arab Opposition
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 08:14:13 AM »

And we're off.

Prediction: Likud landslide, ZU and Meretz shattered.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 08:17:57 AM »

I believe the Gantz thing when I see it. Some well-known person ""possibly"" running and winning a lot of seats is something that happens every 6 months in Israel. The main electoral shift is Zionist Union -> Yesh Atid, otherwise it's pretty stable.

Loss from "right-religious coalition" to "center-left opposition" are former Kulanu voters moving to YA + the Orly Levy wildcard thing (which probably won't happen). But these "blocs" don't really mean anything (I used to say Israel isn't Sweden, but the importance of the blocs in Sweden isn't what it used to be either...), since Yesh Atid isn't going to form a coalition that depends on the Joint List either from the inside or from the outside. So 90% sure there will be another Netanyahu government even in the event the right-religious parties don't win a majority.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2018, 08:25:41 AM by DavidB. »

I am always surprised how Likud support always seems to hold up despite various Netanyahu scandals.
People in Israel expect their politicians to be corrupt (to a certain extent), and it is especially Likud voters who care much more about having a leader perceived as strong than about corruption scandals. There was this NYT interview in which some reporter went to southern Israeli Likud strongholds to ask voters why the hell they still voted for Bibi - something a liberal guy from the States obviously could not fathom. Perplexed, the reporter told people that Netanyahu had a private airplane and had received tons of money through questionable methods. "Who cares?", the falafel guy answered. "He is the Prime Minister. Let him have five airplanes." And that attitude is widespread among Likud voters, especially in the periphery.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »

This is probably going to be a depressing election, but yay action, I suppose Tongue
Also, there'll be a list primaries in Labour, so I guess I'll be reporting about it as much as I know since I'm a bit involved in Labour politics, at least in my university. Sad that only the highest ~10 spots are realistic.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »

I thought Gantz  going to join with Yesh Atid ?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 09:47:34 AM »

This is probably going to be a depressing election, but yay action, I suppose Tongue
Also, there'll be a list primaries in Labour, so I guess I'll be reporting about it as much as I know since I'm a bit involved in Labour politics, at least in my university. Sad that only the highest ~10 spots are realistic.
Prediction for the list? I guess Shaffir and Michaeli will be well up there.

I heard Gabbay offered Lucy Aharish a spot on the list. And from a good authority. 
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 09:53:57 AM »

It will be interesting to see how Benny Gantz will position himself in these elections: Will he run? Run in his own party? or join Yesh Atid, for example?

The latest poll, the Midgam one, shows Gantz with growing support and the main challenger of Netanyahu:

28 Likud
16 Gantz Party
13 Yesh Atid
12 The Joint (Arab) List
10 Zionist Union
  9 Bayit Yehudi
  7 Yahadut Hatorah/UTJ
  6 Yisrael Beitenu
  5 Kulanu
  5 Shas
  5 Orly Levy
  4 Meretz

60 Current Right-Religious Coalition
60 Current Center-Left-Arab Opposition
I'll wait with predictions. I also think the joint list will split into two different lists by then.

I'd also wait with the Ganz party, and wouldn't put out of question a surprising Kulano-Likud union.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 09:59:56 AM »

As a reform Jew in the States, I of course would love to see Bibi go down. But, I accept that he is Israels unofficial "Lord of National security" and that Israeli society is more right-leaning then even the US. The one thing that I see though is that Israel right now seems ripe with the eventual Bibi scandals for a 'insurgent' style party or campaign that Weds traditional issues to a distaste of Jerusalem or parties in the Knesset, a style of campaign that seems so common these days. Stuff like Beto and Texas, Jacinda and NZ, Pakatan Harapan and Malaysia, Leave and the UK, Lega in Italy, CAQ in Quebec, AMLO in Mexico, and of course Trump in the US. The only question is from where will this insurgency come from on the spectrum, maybe it's Gantz but I dunno. I will be following this election from afar.

Also how ironic is it that the government collapses on Christmas?
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 10:04:34 AM »

I heard Gabbay offered Lucy Aharish a spot on the list. And from a good authority.  

Lol that would be a gimmick that convinces no one.

Hmm, it's hard to predict these things so I'm not sure, but yeah, Michaeli and especially Shaffir are probably going to rank high. Wouldn't be surprised if Shaffir is in contention for 2nd (or rather 3rd after Livni). I guess Peretz and Yachimovich rank highly too.

Also, I'm hearing stuff about Meretz leaving Mossi Raz out, do they have a list already?
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 10:07:04 AM »

As a reform Jew in the States, I of course would love to see Bibi go down. But, I accept that he is Israels unofficial "Lord of National security" and that Israeli society is more right-leaning then even the US. The one thing that I see though is that Israel right now seems ripe with the eventual Bibi scandals for a 'insurgent' style party or campaign that Weds traditional issues to a distaste of Jerusalem or parties in the Knesset, a style of campaign that seems so common these days. Stuff like Beto and Texas, Jacinda and NZ, Pakatan Harapan and Malaysia, Leave and the UK, Lega in Italy, CAQ in Quebec, AMLO in Mexico, and of course Trump in the US. The only question is from where will this insurgency come from on the spectrum, maybe it's Gantz but I dunno. I will be following this election from afar.

The insurgent demographic votes for Bibi. what ever you think about western electoral systems does not apply in Israel. end off.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 10:15:13 AM »

The insurgent demographic votes for Bibi. what ever you think about western electoral systems does not apply in Israel. end off.

It isn't just a western phenomenon, but democracies outside west are statistically on average weaker, so Authoritarianism is often also part of package. This makes cases harder, but it doesn't dispute things the Brazil, Malaysia, Mexico, and failed insurgencies in Japan and apparently Indonesia.

This of course doesn't ruin your original point that Bibi will likely win if things remain as they are, which I agree with 100%.
Umengus
Belgium

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 10:17:30 AM »

People in Israel expect their politicians to be corrupt (to a certain extent), and it is especially Likud voters who care much more about having a leader perceived as strong than about corruption scandals. There was this NYT interview in which some reporter went to southern Israeli Likud strongholds to ask voters why the hell they still voted for Bibi - something a liberal guy from the States obviously could not fathom. Perplexed, the reporter told people that Netanyahu had a private airplane and had received tons of money through questionable methods. "Who cares?", the falafel guy answered. "He is the Prime Minister. Let him have five airplanes." And that attitude is widespread among Likud voters, especially in the periphery.

Quite logical. Israel is a country in war so lots of people prefer a strong "corrupt" leader to a weak honest leader.

But 2 things: First, I don't think taht bibi has been condemned yet (correct if I'm wrong) and second, Bibi is not a strong leader, especially with hamas.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 10:21:58 AM »

Quite logical. Israel is a country in war so lots of people prefer a strong "corrupt" leader to a weak honest leader.

But 2 things: First, I don't think taht bibi has been condemned yet (correct if I'm wrong) and second, Bibi is not a strong leader, especially with hamas.

Well, that's what his opponents on the right try to claim, but he's just less unhinged then them. I think the majority of the population still sees him as strong since "strength" is not just in policy, but mostly in perception. Israeli Russians, for example, treat him like Russian Russians treat Putin, and that's just one demographic.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 10:23:31 AM »

Hmm, it's hard to predict these things so I'm not sure, but yeah, Michaeli and especially Shaffir are probably going to rank high. Wouldn't be surprised if Shaffir is in contention for 2nd (or rather 3rd after Livni). I guess Peretz and Yachimovich rank highly too.

Also, I'm hearing stuff about Meretz leaving Mossi Raz out, do they have a list already?
no list, Raz is simply barred for running in the primaries.

Meretz will at best get 4 seats. The party's internal turmoil is at an all time high, environment is toxic.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

Meretz will at best get 4 seats. The party's internal turmoil is at an all time high, environment is toxic.

How can he be barred? That's a shame too, he was a unique prespective.
And that's quite sad considering they were polling at 5-6 thanks to the Labour turmoil.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »

How can he be barred? That's a shame too, he was a unique prespective.
And that's quite sad considering they were polling at 5-6 thanks to the Labour turmoil.
Some bureaucratic nonsense because he was the party general secretary
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2018, 02:07:17 PM »

Not expecting a miracle. Gonna take push back from the United States for Israel to get in line. Labor ed up and needs a better leader.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2018, 02:29:15 PM »

Not expecting a miracle. Gonna take push back from the United States for Israel to get in line. Labor ed up and needs a better leader.

Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't Labor been in slow decline since Rabin? If so, then the blame is better directed towards the inability of a new left party to rise from it's ashes.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't Labor been in slow decline since Rabin? If so, then the blame is better directed towards the inability of a new left party to rise from it's ashes.

It wasn't a slow decline, it was a fast decline due to the failure of Ehud Barak to get the Intifada under control. Labor lost the public's trust on security issues and never got it back.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2018, 03:37:07 PM »

I would say with hindsight that the killing of Yitzhak Rabin marks the demise of progressive zionism, as well as the early  end of the hopes raised by the Oslo agreements. In my opinion resurrection is impossible. I think that Labor and Meretz should consider seriously a refoundation based on a serious revision of the zionist dogma.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2018, 04:22:50 PM »

I would say with hindsight that the killing of Yitzhak Rabin marks the demise of progressive zionism, as well as the early  end of the hopes raised by the Oslo agreements. In my opinion resurrection is impossible. I think that Labor and Meretz should consider seriously a refoundation based on a serious revision of the zionist dogma.
Rabin, progressives zionism, lol. The way historic narratives develop are hilarious
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »

Indeed. There was a last moment of hope in 2001 with the Taba summit, but it was like the Battle of Gettysburg, the gasp of a dying process started back in 1977 when Anwar Sadat visited Israel, or even earlier when Soviet advisers were kicked out of Egypt in 1972 at the behest of Henry Kissinger.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies