NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 10:15:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43
Author Topic: NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis  (Read 75360 times)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #950 on: October 12, 2020, 05:50:45 PM »

My god I agree Cunningham's a sleaze but overreaction much?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #951 on: October 12, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »

Celebrating adultery and home-wrecking to own the cons.  Guess it just goes to show that there are plenty of shameless partisan hacks in the Democratic Party too.  

Actually, it's even worse than that.  You can want Cunningham to win despite his scandal because this could be the tipping point seat for control of the Senate.  Fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that Cunningham is a lying, pathetic excuse for a human being.  What he did was unjustifiable and utterly reprehensible.  A Democratic Senate majority is worth tolerating him for six years, but that doesn't make Cunningham any less of a deplorable scumbag.

Moreover, celebrating him for being a home-wrecking adulterer just because he happens to be a Democrat is precisely the sort of morally bankrupt partisan hackery that folks here are always complaining about whenever Trump supporters say they don't care about Trump's scandals.

By that definition, most of the people in the US outside of innocent children like myself are bad people. I think what he was wrong, but there are so so many folks who cheat in their life. It’s only because he’s under the microscope that makes him get so much hate for it. Again, not saying his actions weren’t bad, but I don’t think this by itself makes him a terrible human overall.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #952 on: October 12, 2020, 05:56:34 PM »

Celebrating adultery and home-wrecking to own the cons.  Guess it just goes to show that there are plenty of shameless partisan hacks in the Democratic Party too.  

Actually, it's even worse than that.  You can want Cunningham to win despite his scandal because this could be the tipping point seat for control of the Senate.  Fair enough, but that doesn't change the fact that Cunningham is a lying, pathetic excuse for a human being.  What he did was unjustifiable and utterly reprehensible.  A Democratic Senate majority is worth tolerating him for six years, but that doesn't make Cunningham any less of a deplorable scumbag.

Moreover, celebrating him for being a home-wrecking adulterer just because he happens to be a Democrat is precisely the sort of morally bankrupt partisan hackery that folks here are always complaining about whenever Trump supporters say they don't care about Trump's scandals.

We are laughing about him being up in the polls as a result but I don't think anyone here holds him in higher regard for his reprehensible (and hilariously cringeworthy) behaviour. I guess some of these memes stray close to 4chan-esque celebration of Access Hollywood but for the most part they are just poking fun at the doomers and the people arguing this provides a good reason to switch to supporting Tillis for most Cunningham voters.

I hope I haven't implied otherwise at any point and am probably going to support a 2026 primary challenge.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #953 on: October 12, 2020, 06:01:04 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2020, 06:06:02 PM by Election Mafioso »

Yeah, no one is celebrating adultery, morso making light of the fact that after all this, Cunningham is still on track to win and has suffered little to no damage. Cheating definitely isn’t a good thing but it’s quite comical to see absolutely nothing change after all the panicking and bed wetting over this whole scandal.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #954 on: October 12, 2020, 06:03:28 PM »

We are laughing about him being up in the polls as a result but I don't think anyone here holds him in higher regard for his reprehensible (and hilariously cringeworthy) behaviour. I guess some of these memes stray close to 4chan-esque celebration of Access Hollywood but for the most part they are just poking fun at the doomers and the people arguing this provides a good reason to switch to supporting Tillis for most Cunningham voters.

I hope I haven't implied otherwise at any point and am probably going to support a 2026 primary challenge.

I assumed it was just kidding around at first, but there have been so many posts to this effect that it was starting to get hard to tell if some folks really did think he should be held in high regard for what he did or at least that there was nothing wrong with it.  If it's just laughing about him still leading Tillis then fair enough, b/c that is hilarious Tongue

By that definition, most of the people in the US outside of innocent children like myself are bad people. I think what he was wrong, but there are so so many folks who cheat in their life. It’s only because he’s under the microscope that makes him get so much hate for it. Again, not saying his actions weren’t bad, but I don’t think this by itself makes him a terrible human overall.

Please cite.  I don't think that's true that most people cheat on their spouses, but if it is, then they're bad people, especially if they have children.  
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #955 on: October 12, 2020, 06:22:08 PM »

This is just what happens when the Republican Party sells out any standards that they ever pretended about having. Trump moved the overton window, and their tolerance for that was bound to bite them in the ass eventually.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #956 on: October 12, 2020, 06:23:34 PM »

Relax
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #957 on: October 12, 2020, 06:30:06 PM »

Sir, this is a Carl's Jr.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #958 on: October 12, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2020, 07:24:50 PM by Ogre Mage »

Apparently when one of Thom Tillis' constituents, a cancer patient, contacted his office to relay her concerns about affording healthcare, she was literally told, "If you can't afford it then you don't deserve it."

Thom Tillis Staffer Tells a Cancer Survivor to Not Get Health Coverage if She Can’t Afford It

During a recent call with the staffer, which was recorded and is now circulating widely, a frustrated Bev Veals, who has survived cancer three times, asked several variations of that question and was met with nonchalance.

“You’re saying that, if you can’t afford it, you don’t get to have it—and that includes health care?” said Veals, a three-time cancer survivor.

“Yeah, just like if I want to go to the store and buy a new dress shirt. If I can’t afford that dress shirt, I don’t get to get it,” said the staffer.

“But health care is something that people need—especially if they have cancer.”

“Well, you got to find a way to get it.”

This may be an illustration of why Sen. Tillis has terrible job approval ratings, with multiple polls showing him in the 30s.  Tillis has a fair chance to win.  But those horrible ratings are why I think he is still more likely to lose.  And Tillis's ability to capitalize on Cummingham's unforced error is further limited by the fact that Tillis caught COVID-19 while attending the superspreader party for The Contagious ACB.  That also showed poor judgment and took him off the trail for awhile.  

Hopefully Cummingham will pull this one out in spite of himself.  Though as I said before we should keep him far away from a future national ticket.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #959 on: October 12, 2020, 07:22:13 PM »

Don't hurt yourself coming down from your high horse.

don't act like it's the 50's. Marriages fail. Private life is different public life. lets just focus on policy
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #960 on: October 12, 2020, 07:33:26 PM »

don't act like it's the 50's. Marriages fail. Private life is different public life. lets just focus on policy

Defending adultery and home-wrecking to own the cons.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #961 on: October 12, 2020, 07:44:58 PM »

I don't know what delusion you're under but a simple meme abt a candidate winning despite people knowing he's having affairs is not at all equivalent to the owning the libs

what people do to "own the libs":
not using mail in ballots
not wearing masks
pretending anyone cares about "happy holidays"
saying all lives matter
attacking Joe Biden's sons
defending Qanoners
defending Roy Moore
taking away people's healthcare

The mental gymnastics for you to equate that one meme with all the toxic stuff Republicans do takes the most brain dead "both sides"-ism ive ever seen in my life
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #962 on: October 12, 2020, 07:47:29 PM »

I find Cal's personal conduct awful, but I still nowhere near the level of certain prominent Republicans (DesJarlais, Moore, Trump), and his policy is obviously superior to "you're sick and you don't have cash too bad" Tillis.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #963 on: October 12, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »

I find Cal's personal conduct awful, but I still nowhere near the level of certain prominent Republicans (DesJarlais, Moore, Trump), and his policy is obviously superior to "you're sick and you don't have cash too bad" Tillis.

This. So much this.
swf541

« Reply #964 on: October 12, 2020, 08:49:46 PM »

This. So much this.

Completely agreed
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #965 on: October 12, 2020, 09:00:49 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2020, 09:05:56 PM by Southern Motherf***in' Catholic Republicans »

I don't know what delusion you're under but a simple meme abt a candidate winning despite people knowing he's having affairs is not at all equivalent to the owning the libs

not wearing masks
saying all lives matter
defending Qanoners
defending Roy Moore

The mental gymnastics for you to equate that one meme with all the toxic stuff Republicans do takes the most brain dead "both sides"-ism ive ever seen in my life

I’m not comparing the meme to any of those things.  What I am doing is pointing out that you - and you specifically - are using the same type of rationalization of horrible behavior Republicans use.  It’s the same kind of tribalistic, ends-justify-the-means hackery.  Incidentally, what Cunningham did was far worse than the “happy holidays” whining, choosing to vote in person rather than by mail, or Trump’s smears against Hunter Biden.  

If you wanna say Cunningham is a scumbag, but we gotta tolerate him for six years to flip the Senate, then I agree.  But that’s not what you said.  You basically argued that it was merely 1950s-style prudish moralizing to say that Cunningham is a bad person for cheating on his wife and also wrecking another marriage in the process.  If you really believe that such conduct is perfectly fine, then it says a lot about your moral values, none of it good.

I don’t get what’s so hard about acknowledging Cunningham is a scumbag, but also a necessary evil.  Many other posters in this thread have done this, but it seems like you’ve made a point of not doing so.
swf541

« Reply #966 on: October 12, 2020, 09:04:13 PM »

not wearing masks
saying all lives matter
defending Qanoners
defending Roy Moore

I’m not comparing the meme to any of those things.  What I am doing is pointing out that you - and you specifically - are using the same type of rationalization of horrible behavior Republicans use.  It’s the same tribalistic, ends-justify-the-means hackery.  Incidentally, what Cunningham did was far worse than the “happy holidays” whining, choosing to vote in person rather than by mail, or Trump’s smears against Hunter Biden.  

If you wanna say Cunningham is a scumbag, but we gotta tolerate him for six years to flip the Senate, then I agree.  But that’s not what you said.  You basically argued that it was merely1950s-style prudish moralizing to say that Cunningham is a bad person for cheating on his wife and wrecking someone else’s marriage in the process.  If you really believe that, then it says a lot about your moral values, none of it good.

I don’t get what’s so hard about acknowledging Cunningham is a scumbag, but also a necessary evil.  Other posters have done this, but it seems like you’ve made a point of not doing so.

The sad reality is the ends do justify the means
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #967 on: October 12, 2020, 09:10:41 PM »

not wearing masks
saying all lives matter
defending Qanoners
defending Roy Moore

I’m not comparing the meme to any of those things.  What I am doing is pointing out that you - and you specifically - are using the same type of rationalization of horrible behavior Republicans use.  It’s the same tribalistic, ends-justify-the-means hackery.  Incidentally, what Cunningham did was far worse than the “happy holidays” whining, choosing to vote in person rather than by mail, or Trump’s smears against Hunter Biden.  

If you wanna say Cunningham is a scumbag, but we gotta tolerate him for six years to flip the Senate, then I agree.  But that’s not what you said.  You basically argued that it was merely1950s-style prudish moralizing to say that Cunningham is a bad person for cheating on his wife and wrecking someone else’s marriage in the process.  If you really believe that, then it says a lot about your moral values, none of it good.

I don’t get what’s so hard about acknowledging Cunningham is a scumbag, but also a necessary evil.  Other posters have done this, but it seems like you’ve made a point of not doing so.

That’s where you’re wrong.  Sometimes they do, but there also have to be lines you’re not willing to cross.  Otherwise, you’ll end up with a morally bankrupt megalomaniacal monster like McConnell. Having principles is vital; the trick is knowing which you need to be willing to compromise and when you have to rigidly stick to them.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #968 on: October 12, 2020, 09:27:27 PM »

That’s where you’re wrong.  Sometimes they do, but there also have to be lines you’re not willing to cross.  Otherwise, you’ll end up with a morally bankrupt megalomaniacal monster like McConnell. Having principles is vital; the trick is knowing which you need to be willing to compromise and when you have to rigidly stick to them.

McConnell is bad because he's a conservative, not because he disregards norms.

Norms are only as good as the policies they let you pass.

I'd love if we had a Democratic McConnell, he'd get sh*t done.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #969 on: October 12, 2020, 09:36:09 PM »

McConnell is bad for both reasons.  A Democratic McConnell would be a blight on our democracy.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #970 on: October 12, 2020, 09:39:10 PM »

McConnell is bad for both reasons.  A Democratic McConnell would be a blight on our democracy.

A Democratic McConnell would be a dream. Imagine how much more effective and efficient Democrats would be in achieving our goals. I want our party leaders to fight hard for our priorities and that’s exactly what McConnell does for his party.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #971 on: October 12, 2020, 09:40:01 PM »

Norms are important, but they must serve fair rules.  When they cease to, both must be reformed through the democratic process.  To be healthy, democracy must be responsive.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #972 on: October 12, 2020, 09:40:43 PM »

A Democratic McConnell would be a dream. Imagine how much more effective and efficient Democrats would be in achieving our goals. I want our party leaders to fight hard for our priorities and that’s exactly what McConnell does for his party.

I don’t think a McConnel from any party is a good thing for America. They care more about gaining power and winning than doing what is right for the people. At least Schumer is a bit chiller than McConnel, and comes off as a nicer human overall, and same goes for Cunningham despite this whole incident.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #973 on: October 12, 2020, 10:20:28 PM »

Neither party should want a McConnell.  McConnell has been really, really, really, really, really bad for America.  There is absolutely zero bipartisanship, zero effort to address problems, zero conformity to previously-beloved norms and standards of behavior.  Instead, the only thing that matters is partisan gain.  The worst thing McConnell does is intentionally make the United States worse so he can blame it on the other side.  If you gave Mitch the opportunity to detonate a nuclear bomb in a major American city, the first question he'd ask would be "would the judges who die be Democrats or Republicans."

He's legitimately evil, absolutely disgusting and detestable.  If you go to this forum's TOS and go down the list of things you're not allowed to write about someone, that's basically everything I wish upon McConnell.
swf541

« Reply #974 on: October 12, 2020, 10:35:57 PM »

not wearing masks
saying all lives matter
defending Qanoners
defending Roy Moore

Maybe your life/financial well being doesnt depend on the GOP not ing you over.....

I could give less of a flying F of what politicians do consensually and legally in their own time if I agree with their policies at this point.

Was what he did bad? Yes
Was it disqualifying for office? No
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies