NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:43:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 43
Author Topic: NC-SEN 2020: Tar Heel Tillis  (Read 75275 times)
Jon Tester
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 23, 2018, 01:35:32 AM »

Surprised there isn't a thread for this yet.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 07:15:35 AM »

Edwards is a a candidate that could perhaps run. He could use his "Two Americas" slogan and run a progressive campaign, talking about inequality and poverty in the US. That combined with the fact that he's a white man he could unite the dems and attract independents.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:22:32 AM »

Edwards is a a candidate that could perhaps run. He could use his "Two Americas" slogan and run a progressive campaign, talking about inequality and poverty in the US. That combined with the fact that he's a white man he could unite the dems and attract independents.

You're trolling, right?

We're talking about the same John Edwards who was cheating on his dying wife with a campaign worker, and fathered a child with her, and was indicted was six felonies regarding using political donations to cover up said affair?

Either you are trolling, you are the most crazy GOP hack here, or you are insane.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »

You're trolling, right?

We're talking about the same John Edwards who was cheating on his dying wife with a campaign worker, and fathered a child with her, and was indicted was six felonies regarding using political donations to cover up said affair?

Either you are trolling, you are the most crazy GOP hack here, or you are insane.
It's not that wild to imagine. Sanford cheated on his wife, some years later after being out of the spotlight he runs for congress and wins. That stuff was years ago, I don't think it will have a huge effect on John's campaign.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2018, 07:32:08 AM »

You're trolling, right?

It's not that wild to imagine. Sanford cheated on his wife, some years later after being out of the spotlight he runs for congress and wins. That stuff was years ago, I don't think it will have a huge effect on John's campaign.

Things Nazis say for $400
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2018, 07:33:50 AM »

You're trolling, right?

The difference between Mark Sanford and John Edwards is that Sanford's wife didn't have terminal cancer.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »

Lol John Edwards wouldn't be a thing even if he hadn't cheated.
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2018, 07:46:24 AM »

You're trolling, right?

The difference between Mark Sanford and John Edwards is that Sanford's wife didn't have terminal cancer.
Well, you can't blame Edwards for that. I dunno, I am just speculating. For me it doesn't sound that outlandish.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »

Being indicted for anything is basically it for a political career in most circumstances, and the cheating is extraordinarily problematic in its own right.

This conversation is so dumb Unamused
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 08:01:27 AM »

GoldenMainer
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 09:18:26 AM »

LOL @ wanting Edwards to run when he's just a low-rent bargain basement version of the younger, hunkier, more current and relevant veteran and state senator Jeff Jackson.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »

Of course he’s trolling, guys.
CherokeeDem
UnbakedCake
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 09:42:25 AM »
« Edited: December 24, 2018, 04:35:59 PM by CherokeeDem »

Here’s a brief run down of who I think are the top Democrats with statewide potential. Not all of these names are running for Senate but these are basically all of the big names who have been talked about as candidates.

Senator Jeff Jackson: Seen as the heir-apparent to this seat, Jackson is a popular state senator from Charlotte who has a massive statewide fundraising effort. Jackson campaigned across the state this year for other legislative candidates, presumably to build his name ID. He’s a vet, a former prosecutor, and looks like he’s been building for this run for a long time. Jackson’s negatives are that he’s seen as a bit of a “polished golden boy” by some in the party, and that he’s never faced a competitive race being appointed to his senate seat in a safe blue district.

Fmr. Secretary Anthony Foxx: Former mayor of Charlotte and Obama’s Transportation Secretary. Foxx would be a good candidate but he accepted a job at Lyft a month or so ago, not something he’d do if he was planning on running.

Rep. Brian Turner: Little known state rep from Asheville in the Western part of the state. Turner is a great fundraiser and has ran some incredibly tight races. He won his seat against a powerful Republican incumbent in the red year of 2014 in a district that had voted by almost 20 points for the Republican gubernatorial candidate two years earlier. Turner consistently wins district that’s redder than the state as a whole.

Fmr. Senator John Edwards: John Edwards is probably the strongest can... I can’t write this without laughing, Edwards will not be the nominee unless every other democrat in North Carolina dies. Edwards won’t run, Edwards would lose the primary in an embarrassing land slide if he decided to run. Edwards is not and will not run.

AG. Josh Stein: Incumbent attorney general, all signs point to him running for re-Election and then governor in 2024.

Gov. Roy Cooper: He’s running for re-Election, slight chance he runs in 2022 but no chance he runs this year.

Commissioner Trevor Fuller: Former Chair of the Mecklenburg County Commission, he might be running. Mecklenburg County is the largest in the state and home of the largest city. With Foxx probably out he will most likely be the only non-white male candidate in the race.

Rep. Chaz Beasley: Young African American state House member from Charlotte, he would be a good candidate but NC Insider was reporting he’s running for Lt. Gov.

Sen. Terry Van Duyn: State Senator and minority whip from Asheville, could’ve been a good appeal to suburban white women but running for Lt. Gov instead.

Fmr. Sen. Cal Cunningham: Former state senator and US Senate candidate in 2010. He’s a member of the national guard but he’s running for Lt. Gov.

Basically NC has a pretty deep bench the problem is that they’re almost all white men. Thanks to big wins this year in Wake (Raleigh) and Mecklenburg (Charlotte) counties the party now has a lot more young and diverse elected officials, but all of them are too fresh for a statewide race seeing as they haven’t even been sworn in yet. There are plenty of strong candidates on this list and almost any of them would be able to knock off Tillis.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »

Jackson seems like the only potential candidate who can run ahead of the Presidential ticket, which I would imagine will be necessary in this particular state.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »
« Edited: December 23, 2018, 12:40:08 PM by UWS »

You're trolling, right?

Not only that, but along with John Kerry, Edwards flip flopped on the Iraq War by voting for it and then voting against providing the equipment for the troops in Iraq, that’s one of the reasons why Bush was re-elected in 2004 and could also help Tillis to win senate re-election in 2020.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »

This unfortunately hasn't really been brought up at all but my heart bleeds for Kay Hagan.

This is her (on the bottom left) as of last April, w/ then-congressional candidate Ryan Watts, who challenged incumbent Mark Walker in NC-06.

Right up to the moment she encountered the dreaded Powassan virus & encephalitis that stole her effervescent personality nearly 2 years ago now, she was a sparkling package of energy, focused on meaningful good work in her life as a public servant. Her inability to achieve this by hopefully having run against Tillis & taken her seat back b/c of her physical decline should serve as an inspiration for any potential candidate in this race.

I wouldn't wish the horror that she's going through on my worst enemy. Wishing her a good recovery!
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 09:03:32 PM »

Oh that's awful.
She's so changed. I'm so sorry for her.
Peanut
Costa Rica

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 10:55:17 PM »

God, I feel sorry for Hagan, that's awful. I respect and like her a lot. Her 2008 campaign is one to look fondly on, even if it was mostly Dole's fault she lost.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2018, 12:28:13 AM »

Here’s a brief run down of who I think are the top Democrats with statewide potential. Not all of these names are running for Senate but these are basically all of the big names who have been talked about as candidates.

Senator Jeff Jackson: Seen as the heir-apparent to this seat, Jackson is a popular state senator from Charlotte who has a massive statewide fundraising effort. Jackson campaigned across the state this year for other legislative candidates, presumably to build his name ID. He’s a vet, a former prosecutor, and looks like he’s been building for this run for a long time. Jackson’s negatives are that he’s seen as a bit of a “polished golden boy” by some in the party, and that he’s never faced a competitive race being appointed to his senate seat in a safe blue district.

Fmr. Secretary Anthony Foxx: Former mayor of Charlotte and Obama’s Transportation Secretary. Foxx would be a good candidate but he accepted a job at Lyft a month or so ago, not something he’d do if he was planning on running.

Rep. Brian Turner: Little known state rep from Asheville in the Western part of the state. Turner is a great fundraiser and has ran some incredibly tight races. He won his seat against a powerful Republican incumbent in the red year of 2014 in a district that had voted by almost 20 points for the Republican gubernatorial candidate two years earlier. Turner consistently wins district that’s redder than the state as a whole.

Fmr. Senator John Edwards: John Edwards is probably the strongest can... I can’t write this without laughing, Edwards will not be the nominee unless every other democrat in North Carolina dies. Edwards won’t run, Edwards would lose the primary in an embarrassing land slide if he decided to run. Edwards is not and will not run.

AG. Josh Stein: Incumbent attorney general, all signs point to him running for re-Election and then governor in 2024.

Gov. Roy Cooper: He’s running for re-Election, slight chance he runs in 2022 but no chance he runs this year.

Commissioner Trevor Fuller: Former Chair of the Mecklenburg County Commission, he might be running. Mecklenburg County is the largest in the state and home of the largest city. With Foxx probably out he will most likely be the only non-white male candidate in the race.

Rep. Chaz Beasley: Young African American state House member from Charlotte, he would be a good candidate but NC Insider was reporting he’s running for Lt. Gov.

Sen. Terry Van Duyn: State Senator and minority whip from Asheville, could’ve been a good appeal to suburban white women but running for Lt. Gov instead.

Fmr. Sen. Cal Cunningham: Former state senator and US Senate candidate in 2010. He’s a member of the national guard but he’s running for Lt. Gov.

Basically NC has a pretty deep bench the problem is that they’re almost all white men. Thanks to big wins this year in Wake (Raleigh) and Mecklenburg (Charlotte) counties the party now has a lot more young and diverse elected officials, but all of them are too fresh for a statewide race seeing as they haven’t even been sworn in yet. There are plenty of strong candidates on this list and almost any of them would be able to knock off Tillis.

If we're considering Edwards at all...

What about Chris Rey of Spring Lake? Or Deb Ross again? Ross didn't run much behind Hillary despite being a Berniecrat. Or heck, Elaine Marshall, the godmother of modern NC Dems as we know it?

Re: Hagan

That's...really depressing. I knew she had some health issues, but I didn't know it was this severe.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »

That’s really sad. She’s completely unrecognizable now. I don’t think there’s much chance at recovery, sadly, is there?

Well, the Powassan virus did hit her pretty hard. An average of 9 Powassan virus cases a year were reported from 2007-2016, according to the CDC: 10% of Powassan encephalitis cases are fatal, & about half the survivors have permanent neurological symptoms.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »

lean r.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 02:08:58 AM »

I suspect I'm preaching to the choir with you and Virginia, but since he's SO obvious about it, why on Earth hasn't he been banned yet.
Breton Racer
Harrytruman48
Rookie
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 03:41:47 PM »

Way to early to tell how this race plays out, at the moment lean R.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 07:07:35 PM »

I suppose if SirWoodbury can talk about John Edwards running with a straight face, then I can suggest, that if Tillis retires, Mark Harris should run.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 02:07:11 PM »

I suppose if SirWoodbury can talk about John Edwards running with a straight face, then I can suggest, that if Tillis retires, Mark Harris should run.

Hopefully this thread will just have real news at some point.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 43  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies