"First Step" Criminal Justice Reform passed Senate tonight with 87 votes
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 02:05:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "First Step" Criminal Justice Reform passed Senate tonight with 87 votes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "First Step" Criminal Justice Reform passed Senate tonight with 87 votes  (Read 1549 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2018, 10:54:38 PM »

Surprised there isn't a thread on the news yet, unless I missed it somehow.

What are the chances of the House passing it soon?
Kodak
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 11:48:11 PM »

The President and Speaker have both endorsed the Senate bill, so I expect it to pass.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:56:35 PM »

Who were the thirteen no votes?  I'm not able to find the vote tally.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 12:03:59 AM »

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&session=2&vote=00271

I expect a house vote on Friday.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 12:05:35 AM »

Wow, Murkowski voted no.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 12:06:45 AM »

It's because Alaska had state-level reform recently, so it's apparently "too soon" for further reform.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 12:08:57 AM »

The Republicans who voted against the bill were Sens. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), John Kennedy (R-La.), Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Jim Risch (R-Idaho), Mike Rounds (R-S.D.), Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), Dan Sullivan (R-Alaska) and John Barrasso (R-Wyo.).

Probably claiming to be tough on crime, but also big collectors of Private Corrections donations. 

Also, about the umpteenth piece of proof that Sasse is a winger.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 02:04:19 AM »

Is this a good bill or has it been watered down to please cocaine Mitch and other right-wingers?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 04:07:57 AM »

Is this a good bill or has it been watered down to please cocaine Mitch and other right-wingers?

Feinstein opposed (and Harris didn't endorse) a criminal justice reform, Proposition 47, that passed with 60% of the vote and even Newt Gingrich supported. So I wouldn't just ask about Republicans here.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 04:14:41 AM »

Feinstein opposed (and Harris didn't endorse) a criminal justice reform, Proposition 47, that passed with 60% of the vote and even Newt Gingrich supported. So I wouldn't just ask about Republicans here.
Cool story bro, do you ever post anything that isn’t about you being anti Democrat establishment. Especially when people like you are at fault for the other side doing worse.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 04:19:20 AM »

Cool story bro, do you ever post anything that isn’t about you being anti Democrat establishment. Especially when people like you are at fault for the other side doing worse.

Anyone defending Feinstein is exactly why politics in this country totally sucks.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 04:30:14 AM »

What's amusing is that he used to mention how Biden and Hillary supported the 90's crime bill, until people started reminding him that his God King Sanders voted for that bill.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 04:33:41 AM »

What's amusing is that he used to mention how Biden and Hillary supported the 90's crime bill, until people started reminding him that his God King Sanders voted for that bill.

You realize that Bernie voted against all of the bad parts in amendments. If he had voted no, you'd be attacking him for voting against the assault weapons ban and violence against women act.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 08:32:11 AM »

Who was the Senator that did not vote?
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 08:36:43 AM »

Graham.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »

Its about time!

KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 09:00:39 AM »

Cool story bro, do you ever post anything that isn’t about you being anti pro-Democrat establishment. Especially when people like you are at fault for the other side doing worse.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 10:35:47 AM »

I think graham was gonna vote yes .
Also lol cruz and cornyn both voted yes. They must have soiled their pants after seeing Beto's numbers in the burbs.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 02:15:16 PM »

A good bill that has been watered down a lot from what Mike Lee & Dick Durbin were originally seeking but is still a good bill.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2018, 04:02:34 PM »

Honestly don't know what this does that wasn't done by the reform in Obama's second term as the number of people incarcerated in Federal prisons have dropped about 18% since that reform. 

https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/population_statistics.jsp

I think since most prisoners are at the state level that reform state by state probably has more impact.  It should be noted that rural areas frequently oppose reform because they're more likely to have prisons providing employment for the local populace.  Also provides extra population come census and reapportionment time. 
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »

Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2018, 09:47:12 AM »

This bill releases violent criminals.

It is not targeted at mythical "non-violent drug offenders"

It releases violent criminals.

I actually am a little bit surprised, even given how overwhelmingly leftist this board is, that everyone just accepts this bill.

I would have thought some liberals still oppose violent crime.

I was wrong though. This just confirms the thesis that modern leftism's overarching principle is knee jerk opposition to societal norms.

No other reason to be pro-crime.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2018, 10:06:33 AM »

This bill releases violent criminals.

It is not targeted at mythical "non-violent drug offenders"

It releases violent criminals.

I actually am a little bit surprised, even given how overwhelmingly leftist this board is, that everyone just accepts this bill.

I would have thought some liberals still oppose violent crime.

I was wrong though. This just confirms the thesis that modern leftism's overarching principle is knee jerk opposition to societal norms.

No other reason to be pro-crime.

You're a sad and pathetic person.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2018, 10:14:32 AM »

anyway this is probably the biggest success of this entire congress to me.

I will congratulate Trump on what looks like a solid bipartisan bill that will help the poor and downtrodden succeed in life.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies