Republicans only: what was so bad about Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:17:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans only: what was so bad about Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Republicans only: what was so bad about Obama?  (Read 5467 times)
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:13:28 PM »

Honest question. What was so bad about Barack Obama’s presidency?
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 07:37:03 PM »

rise of social media did him in, policy wise he had hit and misses like most presidents
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:47:54 PM »

His very left-wing social agenda, some of which was defeated in courts.  But, he was probably the first president who fully embraced the idea of America as a post-Christian nation and went all-in on secular, left-wing values.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 07:59:20 PM »

His very left-wing social agenda, some of which was defeated in courts.  But, he was probably the first president who fully embraced the idea of America as a post-Christian nation and went all-in on secular, left-wing values.

America never was a Christian nation
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 08:02:00 PM »

Most of the problems I had with him pertained to some of his policies. I had no problem whatsoever with him as a person.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 08:05:58 PM »

That's the principle that we disagree on.  I don't think the government should force adherence to any religion, but our laws should absolutely have a basis in Christian values.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 08:10:24 PM »

That's the principle that we disagree on.  I don't think the government should force adherence to any religion, but our laws should absolutely have a basis in Christian values.

How profoundly against the letter and spirit of the founding fathers ideals.
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 08:14:33 PM »

"Separation of church and state" is not in the Constitution.  The first amendment only protects religion from government's interference, but does not protect the government from religion's influence.  No faithful Christian would be willing to say "Jesus, look away" when they were voting on a piece of legislation.  Christians must take Christ with them everywhere they go.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 08:20:50 PM »

His foreign policy was largely dictated by a personal animus against Netanyahu and nearly caused massive long-term problems for US security in the region.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 08:37:58 PM »

"Separation of church and state" is not in the Constitution.  The first amendment only protects religion from government's interference, but does not protect the government from religion's influence.  No faithful Christian would be willing to say "Jesus, look away" when they were voting on a piece of legislation.  Christians must take Christ with them everywhere they go.

So surely you would not protest if a Muslim politician wanted to impose Sharia Law using the same rationale?
Izzyeviel
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 08:41:05 PM »

So surely you would not protest if a Muslim politician wanted to impose Sharia Law using the same rationale?

Thats what Republicans thought he was doing!!!

here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »

Funny how our laws should have a basis in Christian values when the number one Founding Father of this country - George Washington - never mentioned Jesus Christ Himself in private writing, and only rarely did in public speeches.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2018, 09:08:05 PM »

In addition to his atrocious foreign policy legacy (syria red line/guns to ISIS/secret war in pakistan/escalating in Yemen then surrendering our soldiers weapons on the way out/TPP/libya) and National security abuses (prism/phonetaps/assassination of citizens/investigating rodeo clowns, fisa unmasking), I hate much of his administrative state abuses (clean power plan, waters of us, every attempt to force net neutrality, pipeline delays, de facto bans on resource extraction, gun grabbing from people taking social security, attempts at banning .223 ammo/hunting and fishing on fed land, import ban on m1 garands, DACA by fiat, suing catholic nuns over birth control, activist NLRB, redundant MyRAs, banning transfats/4loko/stevia/smoking in public housing, surrendering ICANN, illegal blocking of yucca mountain, etc) plus I think his legal positions were largely bad in federal court, that he abused consent decrees, purposefully settled lawsuits with activists so that they got paid to sue, and directed settlements to require payments to 3rd parties like La Raza, and that his abusive enforcement of the lacey act was wrong, the gun walking and IRS scandals bother me, I dont like the leftward shift in the Appeals court circuits, i felt his "muh son iz Trayvon" comment made a tense situation a lot worse and his "if i did check my pension itd be smaller than urz" debate moment was unpresidential, not to mention the fact that legislatively, Obamacare made my family's health insurance coverage worse, Dodd-Frank is a technocratic nightmare, banning flavored tobacco products is anti consumer, cash for clunkers was dumb, disagree with the changes to Tribal law enforcement, etc. I also dislike a lot of his cabinet.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 09:14:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 10:16:01 PM »

His foreign policy was largely dictated by a personal animus against Netanyahu and nearly caused massive long-term problems for US security in the region.
You can criticize Obama's legitimate foreign policy failures, but don't expect to be taken seriously when whining about his Israel policy while he gave billions to the Israelis during his administration. Gotta love how it's always Obama's fault and never Netanyahu's. Netanyahu practically endorsed the Republican Party.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 10:19:53 PM »

But we were, in my lifetime, a Christian-IZED nation.  A nation where the Christian influence of our Founding Fathers wes taught in schools and celebrated.  Where the Church, and the idea of God were held by people with a degree of reverance, even if they were not religious.  Where the Ten Commandments were the standard for public morailty, even among unbelievers.  Where, despite differences, when American prayed, they were, for the most part, praying to the same God.

Why it surprises people that we, as a nation, have experienced more disunity as we become less Christianized is a mystery to me.  That we, as a people, prayed to the same God was a unifying force.  Those days are gone, and they are not likely to come back, short of a miracle of God, Himself.  But let's not kid ourselves; the secularism today that is a secularism steeped in open hostility to the idea of a God that is, indeed, an Authority Figure, has not always been the dominant moral force in our society.  I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2018, 10:26:35 PM »

I would certainly protest the idea that electing someone who believed that would be good for the preservation of individual liberties.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2018, 10:26:38 PM »

But we were, in my lifetime, a Christian-IZED nation.  A nation where the Christian influence of our Founding Fathers wes taught in schools and celebrated.  Where the Church, and the idea of God were held by people with a degree of reverance, even if they were not religious.  Where the Ten Commandments were the standard for public morailty, even among unbelievers.  Where, despite differences, when American prayed, they were, for the most part, praying to the same God.

Why it surprises people that we, as a nation, have experienced more disunity as we become less Christianized is a mystery to me.  That we, as a people, prayed to the same God was a unifying force.  Those days are gone, and they are not likely to come back, short of a miracle of God, Himself.  But let's not kid ourselves; the secularism today that is a secularism steeped in open hostility to the idea of a God that is, indeed, an Authority Figure, has not always been the dominant moral force in our society.  I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't.

Fuzzy. I hate to break it to you , but we never, ever, " all prayed to the same God". Or even prayed at all. The reality is infinitely more complex than that, and far less saccharin than your misplaced nostalgia for your personal sects religious hegemony over the public sphere.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2018, 10:31:35 PM »

I would certainly protest the idea that electing someone who believed that would be good for the preservation of individual liberties.

As would the deist Founding Fathers if someone wanted Christianity enshrined into law.
Joey1996

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2018, 10:36:50 PM »

Lmao
Joey1996

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2018, 10:37:27 PM »

Really wish I hadn't entered this thread, good lord.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2018, 10:37:29 PM »

Fuzzy. I hate to break it to you , but we never, ever, " all prayed to the same God". Or even prayed at all. The reality is infinitely more complex than that, and far less saccharin than your misplaced nostalgia for your personal sects religious hegemony over the public sphere.

Maybe not 100%, but America, for the most part, believed in Jehovah God (the God of the Bible) as God overwhelmingly for most of our history.  That's not to say that there weren't theological differences, but we prayed to the same God.  This includes Jews, who, while not (for the most part) believers in Jesus Christ as the Messiah, believe in God the Father as being the same personage as Christians do.

I was alive during this period.  Please don't condescend to the level of telling me what America was like at a time when I was alive and you were not.  I grew up and watched this change before my eyes.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2018, 10:41:55 PM »

As would the deist Founding Fathers if someone wanted Christianity enshrined into law.

Deism amongst the Founding Fathers is overstated.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2018, 10:43:02 PM »

Generally just a pretty inept president, who played into rather than rose above our cultural and political divisions.  His foreign policy was also notably bad - hastily ousting Mubarak and going easy on Russia and China being particularly bad sins.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »

Deism amongst the Founding Fathers is overstated.

The first sentence of the first amendment literally says we cannot base our laws based on any religion .

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies