Secret Ballot
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:02:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Secret Ballot
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support a secret ballot system?
Yes, (mandatory)

Yes, (optional)

Yes, (undecided)

No

Undecided

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: Secret Ballot  (Read 495 times)
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2005, 05:45:15 PM »

Well?  I'd especially like to hear what the Senators and Senate candidates think.

Option 1 for me.  I think option 2 would be to confusing for newbies.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 05:46:33 PM »

Yes optional. Nobody should be forced to vote secretly. And even if somebody tries to strategically vote it could all backfire with the secret ballots that they don't know about.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 05:49:11 PM »

Yes (optional).  Even if only one person voted secretly, it'll still prevent tactical voting.  The current proposal takes care of the fraud concerns, and if you still don't like it, you don't have to use it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 05:49:55 PM »

I support an optional secret ballot; I think that it's the best system, given that a mandatory system could potentially disenfranchise those who want to vote but simply don't trust the secret ballot system at all.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 05:55:58 PM »

I would consider supporting an optional secret ballot depending on how it's proposed. I will never support a mandatory secret ballot, or use it for that matter.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 05:59:47 PM »

I support an optional secret ballot; I think that it's the best system, given that a mandatory system could potentially disenfranchise those who want to vote but simply don't trust the secret ballot system at all.

Your right, I guess an optional secret ballot system would be better for this reason.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2005, 06:01:07 PM »

I think the ballots should be secret, but then made public after the election is over.
WiseGuy

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 06:13:50 PM »

I accidently voted for optional secret ballot, I meant to vote for madatory secret ballot (I don't like the word madatory, though.)  I believe that a full secret ballot system would be the simplest way to go.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2005, 06:16:03 PM »

I accidently voted for optional secret ballot, I meant to vote for madatory secret ballot (I don't like the word madatory, though.)  I believe that a full secret ballot system would be the simplest way to go.

I don't agree with restricting the choice of people who don't want to use it.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2005, 06:19:21 PM »

Yes (optional) becuase I know how it feels to want to vote secret ballot and not be able to, so I wouldnt want to impose that on the people who dont want it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2005, 06:21:02 PM »

If a mandatory secret ballot system were established I'd just stop voting.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »

If a mandatory secret ballot system were established I'd just stop voting.
WiseGuy

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 06:32:48 PM »

I don't agree with restricting the choice of people who don't want to use it.

Well, the reason I support a full secret ballot (meaning no public voting) is I fear that it might lead to another set of regulations, which might in turn lead to invalidation of confused newbies' votes.  If a plan were put forth addressing this issue while maintaining a optional secret ballot, I'd be all for it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 06:35:02 PM »

Well, the reason I support a full secret ballot (meaning no public voting) is I fear that it might lead to another set of regulations, which might in turn lead to invalidation of confused newbies' votes.  If a plan were put forth addressing this issue while maintaining a optional secret ballot, I'd be all for it.

If it was stated very clearly in the voting booth that voting both publicly and privately is strictly forbidden, what more would you need?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 06:50:16 PM »

If it was stated very clearly in the voting booth that voting both publicly and privately is strictly forbidden, what more would you need?

Clearly those who are eligible to vote should not be punished for their inability to read directions.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 06:52:29 PM »

Clearly those who are eligible to vote should not be punished for their inability to read directions.

I can't tell if this is being sarcastic or not, so I'm going to have to ask for clarification on this bit. Smiley
WiseGuy

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 07:02:37 PM »

Well, the reason I support a full secret ballot (meaning no public voting) is I fear that it might lead to another set of regulations, which might in turn lead to invalidation of confused newbies' votes.  If a plan were put forth addressing this issue while maintaining an optional secret ballot, I'd be all for it.

I'm not sure, but it says that you shouldn't edit your ballot, yet some do.  Some members, especially newbies, get so confused by all the election laws that even the most obvious are sometimes forgotten.

I know because it happened to me.  During Harry's term as Governor, I really wanted to vote against an initiative, but I had been trying to decide on whether or not to switch states to Texas.

Well, I forgot there was a rule that you couldn't vote if you registered (or re-registered) so many days before an election, and only remembered after I had switched. Even though the rule against voting both ways would be posted in the voting booth (unlike the rule about registrations,) excited newbies often only skim the first post of the voting both, and could easily miss it.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2005, 07:06:07 PM »

Well, the reason I support a full secret ballot (meaning no public voting) is I fear that it might lead to another set of regulations, which might in turn lead to invalidation of confused newbies' votes.  If a plan were put forth addressing this issue while maintaining an optional secret ballot, I'd be all for it.

I'm not sure, but it says that you shouldn't edit your ballot, yet some do.  Some members, especially newbies, get so confused by all the election laws that even the most obvious are sometimes forgotten.

I know because it happened to me.  During Harry's term as Governor, I really wanted to vote against an initiative, but I had been trying to decide on whether or not to switch states to Texas.

Well, I forgot there was a rule that you couldn't vote if you registered (or re-registered) so many days before an election, and only remembered after I had switched. Even though the rule against voting both ways would be posted in the voting booth (unlike the rule about registrations,) excited newbies often only skim the first post of the voting both, and could easily miss it.

Well, I thought of maybe making it such that only your first vote counts, but then I realized that this would make it so that people could just vote again and then delete their old vote, which could potentially lead to chaos if many people try to pull that.  I really don't think that a mandatory secret ballot would be the way to go, though: just look at how many people in this topic alone have stated that they will simply not vote if such a thing were put into place.
WiseGuy

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2005, 07:21:59 PM »

I'm not sure, but it says that you shouldn't edit your ballot, yet some do.  Some members, especially newbies, get so confused by all the election laws that even the most obvious are sometimes forgotten.

I know because it happened to me.  During Harry's term as Governor, I really wanted to vote against an initiative, but I had been trying to decide on whether or not to switch states to Texas.

I really don't think that a mandatory secret ballot would be the way to go, though: just look at how many people in this topic alone have stated that they will simply not vote if such a thing were put into place.

I really wouldn't want to implement one either, for that reason alone, but I just don't see any other way out of the problem I mentioned.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies