Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 01:29:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 [218] 219 220 221 222 223 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 364544 times)
DisneyDem
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5425 on: August 05, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »

This "Harris vs Rice" thing has to be some 4D chess designed to push people into supporting Harris (who in such a scenario would have been Biden's choice all along most likely). If you can get somebody like me to support Harris over the alternative...

Agreed. Still makes me think that all of these possible other "picks" have all been red herrings all along.
How is there more evidence for that and not the idea that they are both read hearings for Duckworth or KLB?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5426 on: August 05, 2020, 12:25:41 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5427 on: August 05, 2020, 12:30:48 PM »

This is so ridiculous. Talk about grasping at f**king straws. It's not like an endorsement from Kamala, or any of the VP candidates, is going to make that much of a difference in random congressional races.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5428 on: August 05, 2020, 12:32:02 PM »

As opposed to Susan Rice who can upend a race with her coveted endorsement?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5429 on: August 05, 2020, 12:40:08 PM »

Yeah that was a d*mn reach. LMFAO! The desperation is real.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5430 on: August 05, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »

Endorsements don’t usually make that much of a difference (though it can be argued that Biden is the nominee rn *because* of the endorsements of Beto, Pete, and Amy right before Super Tuesday).

BUT, the biggest part of Kampala’s allies’ arguments for her to be VP is that she’d have a special connection to black voters (especially southern black women) and would make them turn out at higher levels to vote for Biden.

If her endorsement couldn’t even help an entrenched black incumbent in a majority black district hold on to his seat against a no-name when her endorsement was an integral part of his campaign, it does call into question that “strength” she has with black voters.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5431 on: August 05, 2020, 01:00:03 PM »

Speaking as an anti-Justice-Dem, none of us was paying attention to this Cori Bush race.  We were all too caught up in the pipe dream of ousting Omar or Tlaib.  It was only the Bush people paying any attention to it.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #5432 on: August 05, 2020, 01:03:32 PM »

Endorsements don’t usually make that much of a difference (though it can be argued that Biden is the nominee rn *because* of the endorsements of Beto, Pete, and Amy right before Super Tuesday).

BUT, the biggest part of Kampala’s allies’ arguments for her to be VP is that she’d have a special connection to black voters (especially southern black women) and would make them turn out at higher levels to vote for Biden.

If her endorsement couldn’t even help an entrenched black incumbent in a majority black district hold on to his seat against a no-name when her endorsement was an integral part of his campaign, it does call into question that “strength” she has with black voters.
Most of the voters in MO-01 probably didn't even know that Kamala endorsed Lacy Clay. Also, Kamala endorsed Kim Gardner and she won her primary race. What about that?

This is just grasping at straws. Endorsements don't matter much in recent times (excluding presidential primaries).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5433 on: August 05, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »

Yeah, Rice makes no sense.

POLITICO: ‘She is absolutely our No. 1 draft pick’: GOP pines for Rice as Biden VP'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/05/republicans-susan-rice-vice-president-391480

She doesn't make sense in the "do no harm" aspect

Who gives a damn what Trump cultists are saying? They will demonize any of the potential picks, regardless who Joe Biden's choice is going to be. They have no credibility to smear Susan Rice for doing anything wrong on something that happened eight years ago, when there is zero evidence for wrongdoings on her part. Their God Emperor however has refused to stand up to autocrats who are undermining the US wherever they can, including potential incentives from Russia to kill American service personell in the Middle East. I really doubt people care more about Benghazi than this, let alone we're in the middle of an economic crash and a pandemic. If anything is needed now, it's competence.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5434 on: August 05, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »

Chile please. Not y’all resorting to making Clay’s loss about Harris.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5435 on: August 05, 2020, 01:26:37 PM »

POLITICO: ‘She is absolutely our No. 1 draft pick’: GOP pines for Rice as Biden VP'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/05/republicans-susan-rice-vice-president-391480

Who gives a damn what Trump cultists are saying? They will demonize any of the potential picks, regardless who Joe Biden's choice is going to be. They have no credibility to smear Susan Rice for doing anything wrong on something that happened eight years ago, when there is zero evidence for wrongdoings on her part. Their God Emperor however has refused to stand up to autocrats who are undermining the US wherever they can, including potential incentives from Russia to kill American service personell in the Middle East. I really doubt people care more about Benghazi than this, let alone we're in the middle of an economic crash and a pandemic. If anything is needed now, it's competence.

Yeah, let's be real: the Benghazi stuff is pretty overrated as a liability in this environment (a literal pandemic & an economic downturn), so if Biden thinks he'd be better off picking Rice because of their personal dynamics, then honestly, more power to him.

And the other major concern with regards to Rice - national political experience - is also pretty far down the list of concerns when it comes to Rice because if the strategy to win in November is "do no harm," then there won't be a lot of media appearances for her anyway. Not to mention, no rallies or town halls for her to somehow screw up because of campaigning inexperience.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #5436 on: August 05, 2020, 01:27:39 PM »

I don't want them to pick Harris

But this is meaningless desperation
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5437 on: August 05, 2020, 01:57:18 PM »

Speaking as an anti-Justice-Dem, none of us was paying attention to this Cori Bush race.  We were all too caught up in the pipe dream of ousting Omar or Tlaib.  It was only the Bush people paying any attention to it.

Yeah we know you hate progressives in that fantasy world of yours
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5438 on: August 05, 2020, 02:39:01 PM »

YouGov

Who should Biden pick for VP? (Among Biden voters)

Kamala Harris 22%
Elizabeth Warren 21%
Susan Rice 11%
Tammy Duckworth 8%
Stacey Abrams 6%
Everyone else 5% or lower

Among 18-29
Warren 28%
Harris 21%
Susan Rice 10%

Among 65+
Harris 20%
Rice 13%
Warren 12%

Among Whites
Harris 22%
Warren 19%
Rice 12%

Among Blacks
Harris 22%
Warren 19%
Rice 10%
Abrams 10%

Among Hispanics
Harris 32%
Warren 23%
Duckworth 18%

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/t0qsgk3wcg/econTabReport.pdf

Just saw this: interesting to note that Warren has the highest favorables across multiple categories, including voters under 45 & Black voters, & is also the most popular VP choice for voters not yet sold on Biden.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #5439 on: August 05, 2020, 02:50:32 PM »

Yeah, let's be real: the Benghazi stuff is pretty overrated as a liability in this environment (a literal pandemic & an economic downturn), so if Biden thinks he'd be better off picking Rice because of their personal dynamics, then honestly, more power to him.

And the other major concern with regards to Rice - national political experience - is also pretty far down the list of concerns when it comes to Rice because if the strategy to win in November is "do no harm," then there won't be a lot of media appearances for her anyway. Not to mention, no rallies or town halls for her to somehow screw up because of campaigning inexperience.

Campaign inexperience doesn't automatically mean someone is bad at it. Rice for sure knows how to conduct herself in the public spotlight and be under pressure. Even having some gaffes shouldn't be an issue, we all have gaffes and it makes people more authentic unless it's something really bad. Overall, I think she's done pretty well in her recent appearances on some shows. Just like Kamala, who comes over as pretty likable. But that's just my opinion.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5440 on: August 05, 2020, 03:01:18 PM »

I really hope he makes a decision tomorrow or Friday, but I do have a feeling it'll be Monday or Tuesday next week.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #5441 on: August 05, 2020, 03:23:27 PM »

According to David Gergen on CNN, the Biden campaign is asking these three questions from the final candidates:

Will this nominee be good at the job?
Will she get along well with Biden?
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign?

So looking at the two presumptive finalists, here are my comments:

Harris
Will this nominee be good at the job? Yes
Will she get along well with Biden? Questionable - could potentially be a dealbreaker for Biden.
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign? Mostly an asset.

Rice
Will she get along well with Biden? Yes
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign? A major liability!

The Harris negatives could be an inconvenience when governing, but the Rice negatives would be an inconvenience in the campaign and could cost the Dems the election.

So the conclusion is clear - unless Biden persuades Michelle Obama to join him, at the last minute, it will be a Biden/Harris ticket!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5442 on: August 05, 2020, 03:25:18 PM »

If this is the best they've got...

https://www.foxnews.com/media/gowdy-kamala-harris-police-reform
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #5443 on: August 05, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »

As unfortunate as it is, there is basically no way he doesn't pick Harris. She really does make the most sense. I'm still pulling for Warren, but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that nothing good ever happens in presidential politics.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5444 on: August 05, 2020, 03:30:48 PM »

I guess Sally Yates is testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee right now.  I'm not watching it, so I don't know for sure, but Harris is on the Judiciary Committee, and I assume she's there, and so is not being interviewed by Biden right now.  Tongue

I'd assume that all of the veep shortlisters in Congress are in DC this week, and since DC isn't far from Delaware, they could sneak away to be interviewed without it being noticed.

That'll be tough.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5445 on: August 05, 2020, 03:49:01 PM »

According to David Gergen on CNN, the Biden campaign is asking these three questions from the final candidates:

Will this nominee be good at the job?
Will she get along well with Biden?
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign?

So looking at the two presumptive finalists, here are my comments:

Harris
Will she get along well with Biden? Questionable - could potentially be a dealbreaker for Biden.
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign? Mostly an asset.

Rice
Will she get along well with Biden? Yes
Will she be an asset or a liability in the campaign? A major liability!

The Harris negatives could be an inconvenience when governing, but the Rice negatives would be an inconvenience in the campaign and could cost the Dems the election.

So the conclusion is clear - unless Biden persuades Michelle Obama to join him, at the last minute, it will be a Biden/Harris ticket!

A major liability as in the ability to swing the election?  Majorly doubt it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5446 on: August 05, 2020, 03:49:22 PM »

I guess Sally Yates is testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee right now.  I'm not watching it, so I don't know for sure, but Harris is on the Judiciary Committee, and I assume she's there, and so is not being interviewed by Biden right now.  Tongue

I'd assume that all of the veep shortlisters in Congress are in DC this week, and since DC isn't far from Delaware, they could sneak away to be interviewed without it being noticed.

That'll be tough.

Others have done it in the past.  AFAIK, no one is tailing all of the veep contenders 24/7.  They could visit someone local on private property, and then get in someone else's car out of public view, and be driven to Delaware.  How would they be spotted in that circumstance?
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #5447 on: August 05, 2020, 03:52:56 PM »

As unfortunate as it is, there is basically no way he doesn't pick Harris. She really does make the most sense. I'm still pulling for Warren, but I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that nothing good ever happens in presidential politics.

I'm only 23 and it's still shocking to me how quickly the culture has normalized pols like Harris. She is a progressive black woman with roots in South Asia as well. We elected the first black president only 12 years ago. Have a little compassion for how quickly we've become more tolerant as  a society.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5448 on: August 05, 2020, 03:57:44 PM »

The gap between Warren's polling and her odds is just remarkable. The public sees her remarkable intelligence, accomplishments, and experience.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5449 on: August 05, 2020, 04:01:08 PM »

I'm only 23 and it's still shocking to me how quickly the culture has normalized pols like Harris. She is a progressive black woman with roots in South Asia as well. We elected the first black president only 12 years ago. Have a little compassion for how quickly we've become more tolerant as  a society.

There's nothing good about "the culture" embracing a woman who sued to keep an exonerated man behind bars. Nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 215 216 217 [218] 219 220 221 222 223 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies