Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 08:49:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366319 times)
Rhenna
Gabor
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5375 on: August 04, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »

If there hasn't been much resistance from moderate Dems to Rice as VP, I doubt her nomination for SoS would fail as long as Dems control the Senate.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #5376 on: August 04, 2020, 04:56:32 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-reportedly-interview-5-6-123100183.html

Biden interviewing 5 to 6 finalists this week, if this is true... Pick your 6.

1.) Kamala Harris
2.) Elizabeth Warren
3.) Susan Rice
4.) Tammy Duckworth
5.) Karen Bass
6.) Gretchen Witmer

1.) Kamala Harris
2.) Elizabeth Warren
3.) Susan Rice
4.) Tammy Baldwin
5.) Val Demings
6.) Gretchen Witmer

Any particular reason why you favor Baldwin over Duckworth?
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5377 on: August 04, 2020, 05:51:28 PM »

Karen Bass eulogized Communist Party USA leader

Add another nail..
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5378 on: August 04, 2020, 06:12:48 PM »

Forget VP, I don't even know if I want her in Congress at this point lol
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #5379 on: August 04, 2020, 06:22:57 PM »

I really don't think that statement warrants her not being in Congress. In her district most people wouldn't even care because they have more important things to worry about.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5380 on: August 04, 2020, 06:39:34 PM »

If Dodd's vetting of the other candidates is as thorough as the one he did on Bass...
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5381 on: August 04, 2020, 06:51:48 PM »

Honestly I think he just named the first black woman that came to mind.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #5382 on: August 04, 2020, 07:00:54 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-reportedly-interview-5-6-123100183.html

Biden interviewing 5 to 6 finalists this week, if this is true... Pick your 6.

1.) Kamala Harris
2.) Elizabeth Warren
3.) Susan Rice
4.) Tammy Duckworth
5.) Karen Bass
6.) Gretchen Witmer

I wonder whether "5-6 candidates" means that Bass was uninvited after the events of the last week...

Oh, my bad. I just meant pick your personal 6 who you think is being interviewed. That was mine, no article stuff.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood!

1. Harris
2. Warren
3. Duckworth
4. Rice
5. Whitmer
6. Huh
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #5383 on: August 04, 2020, 07:13:49 PM »

If the point of being in Congress is representing your district, then she's more than qualified for that.

To be honest, these stories about Bass just make me more sympathetic to her, not less, as it would show actual ideological diversity. But then again, I'm of the mind that we're actually in a 3-party system, not a 2-party one. Tongue
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5384 on: August 04, 2020, 07:25:58 PM »

Does KLB still have coronavirus?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #5385 on: August 04, 2020, 07:26:53 PM »

From WaPo's Matt Bai:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/04/one-thing-joe-biden-should-think-about-running-mate/

There's really only one question you need to ask yourself as you sit with all these aspirants for your old job. It's not a pleasant question, but it is a necessary one. Who has the emotional intelligence and humility to unite a leaderless country, should it come to that?

This is the one enormous thing we ask of a vice president, in rare moments, that we ask of no other leader in government. Should the worst occur, should the chair behind that big oak desk suddenly be vacant, the nation turns its gaze to someone it has barely considered before and asks that person to get us through.

This has nothing to do with knowing which foreign leaders to call or which bases to put on alert. This is about grace and warmth and political instinct. It's about an understudy's innate ability to be firm and decisive, while also understanding that the moment isn't solely about her.

I think this could very well be the biggest deciding factor for Biden, regardless of any of the political factors.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #5386 on: August 04, 2020, 10:41:29 PM »

From WaPo's Matt Bai:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/04/one-thing-joe-biden-should-think-about-running-mate/

There's really only one question you need to ask yourself as you sit with all these aspirants for your old job. It's not a pleasant question, but it is a necessary one. Who has the emotional intelligence and humility to unite a leaderless country, should it come to that?

This is the one enormous thing we ask of a vice president, in rare moments, that we ask of no other leader in government. Should the worst occur, should the chair behind that big oak desk suddenly be vacant, the nation turns its gaze to someone it has barely considered before and asks that person to get us through.

This has nothing to do with knowing which foreign leaders to call or which bases to put on alert. This is about grace and warmth and political instinct. It's about an understudy's innate ability to be firm and decisive, while also understanding that the moment isn't solely about her.

I think this could very well be the biggest deciding factor for Biden, regardless of any of the political factors.

I think Harris and Warren both pass this test with flying colors.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #5387 on: August 04, 2020, 10:42:14 PM »

As of right now, I think it's Kamala Harris, with a dark horse candidate - Michelle Obama (if she wants it).  

Of the other candidates, Abrams, Bottoms, Demings are all too inexperienced for this and Bass, while she may be useful in Congress, would be a total campaign disaster. As would Susan Rice, for a number of reasons. Picking Lujan, Warren, Duckworth or Baldwin is just not realistic in the current BLM environment.

So imho, it's going to be Kamala Harris or Michelle Obama.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5388 on: August 04, 2020, 10:53:42 PM »

As of right now, I think it's Kamala Harris, with a dark horse candidate - Michelle Obama (if she wants it).  

Of the other candidates, Abrams, Bottoms, Demings are all too inexperienced for this and Bass, while she may be useful in Congress, would be a total campaign disaster. As would Susan Rice, for a number of reasons. Picking Lujan, Warren, Duckworth or Baldwin is just not realistic in the current BLM environment.

It's not going to be Michelle Obama. She's not qualified at all.

I would literally bet a million dollars (that I don't have) that it's not her.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5389 on: August 04, 2020, 11:13:06 PM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/04/karen-bass-eulogized-communist-party-usa-leader-391455

Stick a fork in Karen Bass. She's just getting creamed this last week.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #5390 on: August 04, 2020, 11:26:46 PM »

It's not going to be Michelle Obama. She's not qualified at all.

I would literally bet a million dollars (that I don't have) that it's not her.

We can agree to disagree on Obama's qualifications for the VP job, but I do agree that it is unlikely she would agree to be VP.  However, if she did, my money would be on her.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #5391 on: August 05, 2020, 12:20:39 AM »

Feels like there's been 5 comments per day since Friday that sound just like this
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5392 on: August 05, 2020, 05:12:38 AM »

From WaPo's Matt Bai:

I think both Harris and Warren obviously easily fit this bill. But this tweet thread I came across has some amazing videos that show - in part, a reason why I like Harris so much - she just seems like a really good person.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5393 on: August 05, 2020, 05:13:56 AM »

I can't find an article, but someone from Axios was on MSNBC this morning saying the final two were down to Harris and Rice.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #5394 on: August 05, 2020, 05:15:50 AM »

I can't find an article, but someone from Axios was on MSNBC this morning saying the final two were down to Harris and Rice.

Yup saw that two, still skeptical since they themselves said only Biden's inner circle knows
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5395 on: August 05, 2020, 05:19:22 AM »

Yup saw that two, still skeptical since they themselves said only Biden's inner circle knows

Agreed, and I really don't feel like Rice is really in the final 2. But I guess she makes more sense to Biden than Warren, Bass, Demings, etc
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5396 on: August 05, 2020, 05:21:14 AM »

Sucks if true, for various reasons.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5397 on: August 05, 2020, 05:26:28 AM »

Rice threw shade at Harris yesterday saying in an interview that she has no personal ambitions. Which I actually found a very tasteless and unseemly thing to do.
Sadader
Botswana

« Reply #5398 on: August 05, 2020, 06:14:28 AM »

Rice threw shade at Harris yesterday saying in an interview that she has no personal ambitions. Which I actually found a very tasteless and unseemly thing to do.

I am entirely baffled by the fact that Rice might be VP. So it’ll probably happen.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5399 on: August 05, 2020, 06:16:35 AM »

Yeah, Rice makes no sense.

POLITICO: ‘She is absolutely our No. 1 draft pick’: GOP pines for Rice as Biden VP'

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/05/republicans-susan-rice-vice-president-391480

She doesn't make sense in the "do no harm" aspect
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies