Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 11:44:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363301 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5225 on: August 03, 2020, 06:14:02 PM »

AOC is not going to win any statewide or U.S. Senate election anytime soon. She would get obliterated in the primary outside of NYC. Also, even within NYC, she would definitely be in a battle to win NYC's vote in the primary if she were to run for the Senate in 2024 or 2028.

Eh, a lot can happen in 8 years. We don't have a clue where we're going to economically end up after COVID-19, so for all we know, AOC's platform might be exactly what upstate Democrats are looking for by 2028. (In any event, though, I don't see how she wouldn't have support within & around NYC itself.)
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5226 on: August 03, 2020, 06:17:47 PM »

Meh. When I'm 50, AOC will be finishing the touches on her library.

The #RoseTwitter AU Fanfic Library?  Because she's certainly not gonna get anywhere near the WH in this universe Tongue

You'll probably have to wait 25-30 years after the boomers have their moment in the sun, but AOC will be President.

Depending how everything plays out, AOC could run in 2024 but I don't think that would be the smart play. She should look at getting one of the U.S. Senator seats in New York as rumors of them possibly drawing her out of the House swirl, which would be a major political blunder by establishment Democrats. But I think AOC 2032 is probably the time to strike especially if she moves up the ranks in Government.

Schumer's seat is hers. Just a matter of time.

I think so too and honestly, I think personally, Chuck Schumer really likes her. Actually, quite a few people like AOC, I think they like the fact she's a lightning rod. She can be the one to take the torch from Bernie while actually being under the Democratic Party umbrella.

Anyways, back on topic. Val Demings has shot up 6% on the betting markets, not sure why. Duckworth is up a couple percentage points and Bass has slipped 4% points.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #5227 on: August 03, 2020, 06:26:54 PM »

After reading the last 5 pages, I'm stunned this thread hasn't been locked or posts deleted. What a s**tshow
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5228 on: August 03, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »

After reading the last 5 pages, I'm stunned this thread hasn't been locked or posts deleted. What a s**tshow

No need to, once Biden elects his VP this will all be over. It's fun watching the bickering because everyone can't see how biased their being. Like I've said, I'll support whoever he picks, almost whoever but even if I don't agree with the pick, I'll still vote for him.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5229 on: August 03, 2020, 06:38:49 PM »

If it's Kamala why hasn't he announced by now, or is he having second thoughts?
Timing is everything
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5230 on: August 03, 2020, 06:39:43 PM »

No need to, once Biden elects his VP this will all be over. It's fun watching the bickering because everyone can't see how biased their being. Like I've said, I'll support whoever he picks, almost whoever but even if I don't agree with the pick, I'll still vote for him.

Me too.  I was actually warming up quite a bit to Harris, but BidenHarris's shilling has made me more cool towards her.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5231 on: August 03, 2020, 06:48:21 PM »

Me too.  I was actually warming up quite a bit to Harris, but BidenHarris's shilling has made me more cool towards her.
Are you really letting a random person on an internet message board bother you that much? It's not that deep.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5232 on: August 03, 2020, 06:49:25 PM »

South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5233 on: August 03, 2020, 06:49:36 PM »

Are you really letting a random person on an internet message board bother you that much? It's not that deep.

I was half kidding.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5234 on: August 03, 2020, 06:50:59 PM »

The #RoseTwitter AU Fanfic Library?  Because she's certainly not gonna get anywhere near the WH in this universe Tongue

You'll probably have to wait 25-30 years after the boomers have their moment in the sun, but AOC will be President.

Depending how everything plays out, AOC could run in 2024 but I don't think that would be the smart play. She should look at getting one of the U.S. Senator seats in New York as rumors of them possibly drawing her out of the House swirl, which would be a major political blunder by establishment Democrats. But I think AOC 2032 is probably the time to strike especially if she moves up the ranks in Government.

I think so too and honestly, I think personally, Chuck Schumer really likes her. Actually, quite a few people like AOC, I think they like the fact she's a lightning rod. She can be the one to take the torch from Bernie while actually being under the Democratic Party umbrella.

Anyways, back on topic. Val Demings has shot up 6% on the betting markets, not sure why. Duckworth is up a couple percentage points and Bass has slipped 4% points.
I dont think the House is the apex of her career. Iirc there was some chatter this year of her even primarying Schumer
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5235 on: August 03, 2020, 06:53:50 PM »

I dont think the House is the apex of her career. Iirc there was some chatter this year of her even primarying Schumer

I don't think she'll do it, she made a lot of changes to her staff in the first year in the House which caught the eye of a lot of people. Some hardcore Justice Democrats lost their minds etc, but you have to play the game in Washington, DC. Obama figured that out, most politicians do once they get inside. When she was called an F'n B**** the other week, people from both sides came to her defense and they know she has a firebrand style of politics. She's only going to get more powerful, can you imagine what AOC and Pressley can do if they both get Senate seats. That's a big deal.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #5236 on: August 03, 2020, 06:56:42 PM »

AOC is a team player, I don't think she would make a play for the Senate until Schumer retires. Why throw away all the good will she just got?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5237 on: August 03, 2020, 06:58:03 PM »

politics_king
United States

« Reply #5238 on: August 03, 2020, 07:02:21 PM »

AOC is a team player, I don't think she would make a play for the Senate until Schumer retires. Why throw away all the good will she just got?

Exactly. Any of the senior people in Washington saw what happened with Engel need to get on her good side and if she's playing ball, they need to as well. Hell AOC has options, the Senate makes the most sense but she could run for Mayor of New York City and if people don't think she could become Mayor, people are not paying attention.

Anyways, back on topic. Why is Val Demings getting betting money right now? Did a slew of articles come out for her today? I'm not understanding. Is it because the drop of Karen Bass with her two gaffes and how internally people are trying to sabotage Kamala Harris.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5239 on: August 03, 2020, 07:04:16 PM »

Anyways, back on topic. Why is Val Demings getting betting money right now? Did a slew of articles come out for her today? I'm not understanding. Is it because the drop of Karen Bass with her two gaffes and how internally people are trying to sabotage Kamala Harris.

Clyburn said Demings is still being seriously considered.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5240 on: August 03, 2020, 07:06:29 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2020, 07:24:22 PM by politics_king »

This is 100% true. I think the problem is most people with common sense know that. It's the pandering to the crowd your speaking with that shows somewhat lack of judgement. But if you research her donors, one of them is the Entertainment business and Scientology is heavily involved in Hollywood in Los Angeles County. I think she has an admiration for probably the Healthcare & Education system in Cuba, the means of getting their were not kind to the everyday citizen in Cuba.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5241 on: August 03, 2020, 07:07:05 PM »

Instantly reminded of "I am not a witch," or "I am not a crook."
politics_king
United States

« Reply #5242 on: August 03, 2020, 07:08:12 PM »

Interesting, maybe Val Demings becomes the meet in the middle pick? She's been awfully quiet, I thought it was because they found something on her during the vetting process.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5243 on: August 03, 2020, 07:14:40 PM »

Bass's record/past is a distraction at this point.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5244 on: August 03, 2020, 07:16:27 PM »

Interesting, maybe Val Demings becomes the meet in the middle pick? She's been awfully quiet, I thought it was because they found something on her during the vetting process.

Pretty sure her chances have been less than 0 ever since Politico published that piece on her re: standing by officers accused of excessive force.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5245 on: August 03, 2020, 07:17:10 PM »

she's seemed out of it ever since her hit piece in POLITICO a few weeks ago about her history being the police chief in Orlando...
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #5246 on: August 03, 2020, 07:21:34 PM »

The right will latch onto this.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5247 on: August 03, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »

To be clear, he said he *thinks* she is under consideration:

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200803/south-carolina-congressman-says-fla-rep-val-demings-merits-joe-biden-vp-spot

South Carolina Congressman James Clyburn said he has spoken with Biden and his campaign about Demings.

“Val Demings is a tremendous person. I’ve known her for a long time,” he said. “I’ve said that to the vice president and some of his people. I think she is under serious consideration and she ought to be.”

I'm sure Biden greatly appreciates Clyburn's support, but I doubt he (or anyone on the vetting team) is giving Clyburn hourly updates on where the process stands, so it's unclear how "current" this information really is.  Biden supposedly spent the weekend trying to narrow down the list, and it's likely that if we're down to just 3 or 4 names now, only a tiny circle of people know who they are.

(To be clear, I think that *is* the reason for the bump in betting markets for Demings, but I think the market is overreacting.)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #5248 on: August 03, 2020, 07:31:06 PM »

The right will latch onto this.

That was my point.  Saying "I am not _______," immediately leads people to believe you are whatever it is you said you aren't.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #5249 on: August 03, 2020, 07:34:39 PM »

If Biden has allegedly known who he was gonna pick for months, Bass really got sullied and unnecessarily so. Again, I feel bad for her
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies