Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 02:54:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 205 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 364557 times)
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4975 on: August 01, 2020, 06:09:07 PM »

So did he have somebody chosen and then reconsider?

Thats what its looking like

Why?
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4976 on: August 01, 2020, 06:36:11 PM »

At this point, I'm fairly certain Biden has had his mind made up on Kamala Harris for months and everything else is just misdirection for the media.

Look at all the candidates we've been shown.  Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, Keisha Lance-Bottoms, Val Demings, Gretchen Whitmer, Catherine Cortez-Masto, Stacey Abrams, Tammy Duckworth, Susan Rice, and now Karen Bass.

Each of these women has followed the same pattern.  Team Biden leaks that she's under consideration.  He does some sort of event with her.  The media devotes countless articles and news cycles to her.  "Journalists" report that their "leaked shortlist" is "Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, and flavor-of-the-week VP lady."  Extremists on the left declare that she's totally unacceptable and they were going to vote for Biden but won't if she is the VP!  And then a couple weeks later she's completely forgotten in favor of the next shiny object.

At this point do you guys still believe these people who say "oh yeah I've definitely got Biden's shortlist, it's Harris/Warren/Rice/Bass"?  Of course they don't actually have the shortlist, or if they do it's because the Biden camp is leaking different "shortlists" to different reporters.  Same deal with the announcement date.  Of course Team Biden hasn't actually told any reporters the real announcement date.  They're just controlling the news cycle by changing it every few days to generate a new round of Biden VP stories.

Biden is just stalling by throwing new shiny objects out there to distract the media.  It's nice for the women because it gives them some national prominence for free.  And it's nice for Biden because VP pick stories are always positive/neutral for Biden himself.  He's managed to burn through an entire two months where the majority of coverage about his campaign is VP pick stories.  Meanwhile his +8 lead isn't changing.

Also, imagine if we'd known it was Kamala Harris in June and she'd been subjected to 6 weeks of nonstop nitpicking and oppo research.  Obviously it's better to give the media as little time as possible to attack her before she officially becomes the pick and has the full might of the Biden campaign and the Democratic Party behind her.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #4977 on: August 01, 2020, 06:44:25 PM »

No way he has had his mind made up the whole time.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4978 on: August 01, 2020, 06:47:13 PM »

Biden is just stalling by throwing new shiny objects out there to distract the media.  It's nice for the women because it gives them some national prominence for free.  And it's nice for Biden because VP pick stories are always positive/neutral for Biden himself.  He's managed to burn through an entire two months where the majority of coverage about his campaign is VP pick stories.  Meanwhile his +8 lead isn't changing.

I don't think that's true anymore. The Dodd stuff made it look like Biden's VP vetting team is ran by a bunch of sexist old white guys and gave the impression that the main reason he isn't going to pick Harris is because he is an insecure, petty guy who can't forgive the fact that she challenged him in a debate.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4979 on: August 01, 2020, 06:48:59 PM »

Biden is just stalling by throwing new shiny objects out there to distract the media.  It's nice for the women because it gives them some national prominence for free.  And it's nice for Biden because VP pick stories are always positive/neutral for Biden himself.  He's managed to burn through an entire two months where the majority of coverage about his campaign is VP pick stories.  Meanwhile his +8 lead isn't changing.

I don't think that's true anymore. The Dodd stuff made it look like Biden's VP vetting team is ran by a bunch of sexist old white guys and gave the impression that the main reason he isn't going to pick Harris is because he is an insecure, petty guy who can't forgive the fact that she challenged him in a debate.

A Biden/Harris story benefits from this news cycle.  It's now taboo to say "lol but Harris attacked Biden in the VP debate they must hate each other."
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4980 on: August 01, 2020, 06:59:02 PM »

I can't stand this thread going on anymore. Hurry up Biden!
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4981 on: August 01, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »

Days running mates were announced

2016: July 15 (Pence); July 23 (Kaine)

2012: August 11 (Ryan)

2008: August 23 (Biden); August 29 (Palin)

2004: July 6 (Edwards)

2000: July 25 (Cheney); August 8 (Lieberman)

So Biden really isn't that far behind by historical standards.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4982 on: August 01, 2020, 07:27:46 PM »

At this point, I'm fairly certain Biden has had his mind made up on Kamala Harris for months and everything else is just misdirection for the media.

Look at all the candidates we've been shown.  Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, Keisha Lance-Bottoms, Val Demings, Gretchen Whitmer, Catherine Cortez-Masto, Stacey Abrams, Tammy Duckworth, Susan Rice, and now Karen Bass.

Each of these women has followed the same pattern.  Team Biden leaks that she's under consideration.  He does some sort of event with her.  The media devotes countless articles and news cycles to her.  "Journalists" report that their "leaked shortlist" is "Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, and flavor-of-the-week VP lady."  Extremists on the left declare that she's totally unacceptable and they were going to vote for Biden but won't if she is the VP!  And then a couple weeks later she's completely forgotten in favor of the next shiny object.

At this point do you guys still believe these people who say "oh yeah I've definitely got Biden's shortlist, it's Harris/Warren/Rice/Bass"?  Of course they don't actually have the shortlist, or if they do it's because the Biden camp is leaking different "shortlists" to different reporters.  Same deal with the announcement date.  Of course Team Biden hasn't actually told any reporters the real announcement date.  They're just controlling the news cycle by changing it every few days to generate a new round of Biden VP stories.

Biden is just stalling by throwing new shiny objects out there to distract the media.  It's nice for the women because it gives them some national prominence for free.  And it's nice for Biden because VP pick stories are always positive/neutral for Biden himself.  He's managed to burn through an entire two months where the majority of coverage about his campaign is VP pick stories.  Meanwhile his +8 lead isn't changing.

Also, imagine if we'd known it was Kamala Harris in June and she'd been subjected to 6 weeks of nonstop nitpicking and oppo research.  Obviously it's better to give the media as little time as possible to attack her before she officially becomes the pick and has the full might of the Biden campaign and the Democratic Party behind her.

Honestly, everything about this post. It all lines up and makes sense. That's why I think that the VP pick could be coming any day now. I think the Biden team has been giving out changing dates just to keep everyone on their toes and to keep it in the news constantly.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4983 on: August 01, 2020, 07:47:57 PM »

me reading this thread

ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #4984 on: August 01, 2020, 07:55:47 PM »

Honestly, everything about this post. It all lines up and makes sense. That's why I think that the VP pick could be coming any day now. I think the Biden team has been giving out changing dates just to keep everyone on their toes and to keep it in the news constantly.

Things is though is that there isn't an example of a Presidential nominee having picked out their running mate months in advance and then proceeding to sit on any announcement.  Once a decision is made, it doesn't stay a secret very long.

Past Veepstakes have tended to see a variety of names tossed around to gauge media reaction, as well as public events between the nominee and various VP contenders, which obviously can't happen this cycle. Even if there is a front runner throughout the vetting process.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4985 on: August 01, 2020, 08:03:17 PM »

Things is though is that there isn't an example of a Presidential nominee having picked out their running mate months in advance and then proceeding to sit on any announcement.  Once a decision is made, it doesn't stay a secret very long.

Past Veepstakes have tended to see a variety of names tossed around to gauge media reaction, as well as public events between the nominee and various VP contenders, which obviously can't happen this cycle. Even if there is a front runner throughout the vetting process.

Well sure, I mean I think the point being made is that most people *know* that Biden has always liked Harris and she's always been the frontrunner. I don't think Biden has literally said that though to anyone, or told anyone besides maybe Jill that she's definitely the pick.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #4986 on: August 01, 2020, 08:04:39 PM »

Look at all the candidates we've been shown.  Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar, Keisha Lance-Bottoms, Val Demings, Gretchen Whitmer, Catherine Cortez-Masto, Stacey Abrams, Tammy Duckworth, Susan Rice, and now Karen Bass.

Each of these women has followed the same pattern.  Team Biden leaks that she's under consideration.  He does some sort of event with her.  The media devotes countless articles and news cycles to her.  "Journalists" report that their "leaked shortlist" is "Kamala Harris, Elizabeth Warren, and flavor-of-the-week VP lady."  Extremists on the left declare that she's totally unacceptable and they were going to vote for Biden but won't if she is the VP!  And then a couple weeks later she's completely forgotten in favor of the next shiny object.

At this point do you guys still believe these people who say "oh yeah I've definitely got Biden's shortlist, it's Harris/Warren/Rice/Bass"?  Of course they don't actually have the shortlist, or if they do it's because the Biden camp is leaking different "shortlists" to different reporters.  Same deal with the announcement date.  Of course Team Biden hasn't actually told any reporters the real announcement date.  They're just controlling the news cycle by changing it every few days to generate a new round of Biden VP stories.

Also, imagine if we'd known it was Kamala Harris in June and she'd been subjected to 6 weeks of nonstop nitpicking and oppo research.  Obviously it's better to give the media as little time as possible to attack her before she officially becomes the pick and has the full might of the Biden campaign and the Democratic Party behind her.

Karen Bass was dragged through the mud over the last few days for nothing then. I feel bad for her if that's the case
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4987 on: August 01, 2020, 08:25:22 PM »

The betting markets now have Bass way overpriced. After her Cuba and Scientology history, she shouldn’t be ahead of Duckworth, much less the darker horses like Demings, Whitmer.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4988 on: August 01, 2020, 08:26:48 PM »

Biden would be foolish to pick Bass or Rice.

These women would shave off 3% from his current lead over Trump.

Harris and Warren would be OK.

Demings and Duckworth would be vastly preferable.

Hopefully Biden ain't that stupid to pick the controversial Bass or Rice.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #4989 on: August 01, 2020, 08:34:38 PM »

Why was 2008 so late?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4990 on: August 01, 2020, 08:49:49 PM »

Why was 2008 so late?

Later Olympics, later conventions.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4991 on: August 01, 2020, 08:58:01 PM »

Why was 2008 so late?

I remember getting that text message. Memories
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4992 on: August 01, 2020, 09:01:39 PM »

Why was 2008 so late?

Yes, but there was also the fact that this was during a fairly brief window of time (I think just 2008 and 2012) when there was a campaign finance incentive to schedule the conventions fairly late.  I think it was because that was when the major party candidates had stopped taking federal matching funds, but were still bound by the ~$2000 individual donation limit or whatever it was, and holding a late convention meant you could stretch out the period of time spending primary $ (since any spending before you were formally nominated could count as primary $), and compress the time spending general election $.  I think now that there are all these outside groups spending $, that's less of an issue.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #4993 on: August 01, 2020, 10:11:59 PM »

Only VP candidate that could make me consider voting third party? Rice, I hate her foreign policy views in regards to the Middle East. I preferred Bass and Warren until the Scientology comments (in Bass' case). Harris is probably my top choice atm though I much prefer Warren.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4994 on: August 01, 2020, 10:39:03 PM »

Nate Silver seems to like Duckworth now. She really is a much more unifying pick for Biden in a general election than someone like Harris.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4995 on: August 01, 2020, 10:42:33 PM »

Nate Silver seems to like Duckworth now. She really is a much more unifying pick for Biden in a general election than someone like Harris.
You just randomly come in this thread to make posts to sh-t on Harris. Roll Eyes
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4996 on: August 01, 2020, 10:44:57 PM »

No she isnt.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4997 on: August 01, 2020, 10:48:37 PM »

No she isnt.

We get it, you don't like any pick that isn't Kamala Harris

I get some of the Kamala hate can come off as BS, but a lot of her stans just refuse to accept that there are other picks out there that are equally as good, and sometimes better, than her.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #4998 on: August 01, 2020, 11:09:44 PM »

Anyway...8 more days.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #4999 on: August 01, 2020, 11:12:05 PM »

At this point I'm expecting Joe to just announce at the convention lmao
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 197 198 199 [200] 201 202 203 204 205 ... 299