Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 12:33:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 178 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363911 times)
LtNOWIS

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4300 on: July 28, 2020, 12:27:03 AM »

One simple 8-lettered word about a city in Libya.

Adds little to the ticket.

No real elective experience.
Rice is from DC, it's not like she could've ran for Congress.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #4301 on: July 28, 2020, 12:49:24 AM »

One simple 8-lettered word about a city in Libya.

Adds little to the ticket.

No real elective experience.
Rice is from DC, it's not like she could've ran for Congress.

She has some residency in Maine, the state where she considered running for Senate.

Not that that really helps her.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4302 on: July 28, 2020, 01:07:38 AM »

Guys, buy Harris shares.  It's obviously not going to be Susan Rice.

I wish I knew how to bet on PredictIt because I would dump thousands of dollars on those NO Rice shares.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4303 on: July 28, 2020, 01:13:32 AM »

Here's the thing: if it's Rice or Bass, where are their fundraisers? Kaine was doing multiple campaign events prior to being picked. Presuming these online events are the equivalent, only Harris & Warren seem to be doing them. So if the past is any indication, it really seems like it could only be Harris or Warren at this point.

I hope you are right. But in that case Biden should rein in Dodd. His constant badmouthing of the VP frontrunner has done no favors to the campaign.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4304 on: July 28, 2020, 05:34:01 AM »

Welp, apparently Rose Twitter is going all in on Karen Bass for some reason. Need to remember not to go down that rabbit hole *yikes* they are still angry and angsty
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4305 on: July 28, 2020, 05:43:47 AM »

Biden appears no closer to making a decision than he did several weeks ago: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/bidens-vp-shortlist-comes-up-short/ar-BB17erSs?li=BBnb7Kz

I still would like to see him pick Duckworth.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4306 on: July 28, 2020, 08:06:05 AM »

Maybe they’re trying to stealth-push Rice so leftists will find Harris more amenable.

I was just thinking this.

Harris is really only hated on Rose Twitter though. It's a very big case of "twitter is not real life"
DaWN
United Kingdom

« Reply #4307 on: July 28, 2020, 08:09:10 AM »

My mum tweeted out my prediction that it would be Duckworth and that ended up in one of the D congressmen from Illinois following her on Twitter so I think we have our answer tbh
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4308 on: July 28, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »

The OH Dem convention is scheduled for the 1st of Aug feat Harris. Hmm

IF the announcement is on Saturday, could that mean a no on Harris?

I was thinking the same thing. Or it could be their first "event" together. Who knows

So August 1 has been confirmed as the announcement? I thought it was all secondhand info.

I'd imagine a state convention in a swing state (Dependent on the individual) would be a good 'debut' event for the running mate, prior to the DNC

It hasn’t. The most recent reported timeframe was “early August”.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4309 on: July 28, 2020, 09:40:50 AM »

Putting Dodds in charge was bound to backfire as politicians love nothing more than seeing stories they've planted in the press & they run their mouth off.

Thats why this job is often left to lawyers & extremely trusted campaign staff.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #4310 on: July 28, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »

Here's the thing: if it's Rice or Bass, where are their fundraisers? Kaine was doing multiple campaign events prior to being picked. Presuming these online events are the equivalent, only Harris & Warren seem to be doing them. So if the past is any indication, it really seems like it could only be Harris or Warren at this point.

I hope you are right. But in that case Biden should rein in Dodd. His constant badmouthing of the VP frontrunner has done no favors to the campaign.

Putting Dodds in charge was bound to backfire as politicians love nothing more than seeing stories they've planted in the press & they run their mouth off.

Eh, I don't know. Dodd isn't a newbie to any of this (probably a reason Biden made him head of the search committee). He knows how to keep quiet. Who's to say stuff like his comments aren't getting into the press unless Team Joe wants it in the press?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4311 on: July 28, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »

Eh, I don't know. Dodd isn't a newbie to any of this (probably a reason Biden made him head of the search committee). He knows how to keep quiet. Who's to say stuff like his comments aren't getting into the press unless Team Joe wants it in the press?

That's what I'm suspecting, that Dodd says the things Biden himself can't say in public and sets the stage for Rice.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #4312 on: July 28, 2020, 10:05:28 AM »

Biden appears no closer to making a decision than he did several weeks ago: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/bidens-vp-shortlist-comes-up-short/ar-BB17erSs?li=BBnb7Kz

I still would like to see him pick Duckworth.

Biden needs to hurry the  up already. It doesn't take THIS LONG to vet a small field of candidates. This tells me either the field that's getting forced on him by the establishment (aka muh strong, confident, bold, P O W E R F U L black woman) is absolute crap and he needs to go back to the drawing board. Or Joe takes forever in important decisions and that to me is a substantial turnoff because a President needs to be decisive. Either way, the VEEP watch is going on like day 40 and it's really getting annoying.

All these months of waiting around is just peak 2020
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4313 on: July 28, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »

Why would Dems want to relitigiate Benghazi? Makes literally no sense. Rice makes no sense.
Sherrod Brown Shill
NerdFighter40351
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -6.43

« Reply #4314 on: July 28, 2020, 10:17:01 AM »

I was thinking the same thing. Or it could be their first "event" together. Who knows

So August 1 has been confirmed as the announcement? I thought it was all secondhand info.

I'd imagine a state convention in a swing state (Dependent on the individual) would be a good 'debut' event for the running mate that isn't the DNC

Seems to me like a rumor everyone’s just latched onto.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/politics/joe-biden-running-mate/index.html

Apparently "around" August 1st.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #4315 on: July 28, 2020, 10:19:40 AM »

He can wait 2 more weeks...why not drum up interest right before the convention.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #4316 on: July 28, 2020, 10:22:35 AM »

Why would Dems want to relitigiate Benghazi? Makes literally no sense. Rice makes no sense.

If you believe the news, it's because Joe has a great relationship with her and trusts her because they've worked together. Biden wants a running mate that's almost like a political equivalent of a marriage. Deep, trusting, yadda yadda yadda. No offense but any running mate needs a good relationship with the President. Biden is not special in this regard and I don't buy it as the holdup. We've literally known since the first week of March Biden was gonna get the nod because everyone not named Bernie dropped out and endorsed him. Bernie was DOA in about 48 hours and dropped out in April.

The fact it's taken THIS long to get such little progress in the way of a running mate since then is really irritating the sh**t out of me. He's literally had 4 months to think about it and appears no closer than when he started
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #4317 on: July 28, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »

If you believe the news, it's because Joe has a great relationship with her and trusts her because they've worked together. Biden wants a running mate that's almost like a political equivalent of a marriage. Deep, trusting, yadda yadda yadda. No offense but any running mate needs a good relationship with the President. Biden is not special in this regard and I don't buy it as the holdup. We've literally known since the first week of March Biden was gonna get the nod because everyone not named Bernie dropped out and endorsed him. Bernie was DOA in about 48 hours and dropped out in April.

The fact it's taken THIS long to get such little progress in the way of a running mate since then is really irritating the sh**t out of me. He's literally had 4 months to think about it and appears no closer than when he started

Lol what are you basing that off of? Your intimate knowledge of his VP selection process? Also this is a pretty standard timeframe to make your pick. Idk why people seem to think they need to know right now.
Use Your Illusion

« Reply #4318 on: July 28, 2020, 10:29:29 AM »

He can wait 2 more weeks...why not drum up interest right before the convention.

You need to leave people time to digest the running mate. The MSNBC's of the world are gonna fall over themselves and scream to the heavens about what a great choice Biden made (hell he could choose a can of beans as his running mate and they'll praise him) and Fox News will have a riot and declare we're all gonna die. If you just stroll up 2 days before the convention and say "Oh yeah it's Abrams" you're leaving yourself little to no time to sell America on why this was the best possible choice.

The longer this drags on the more likely Biden is going to have to break for a name people already know very well. So basically Warren
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #4319 on: July 28, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »

None of us have any idea how close he is, and there's no reason for him to announce this far ahead of the convention. It's not like he's in need of a boost in the polls. I'm sure he and his team have a good feeling or idea about who to pick. And I'd rather have them over-vet than under-vet. Being thorough to avoid any surprises is exactly what he needs to do. There is absolutely no justification to rushing this, so my advice would be to calm down and just let the process play out.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #4320 on: July 28, 2020, 10:32:32 AM »

Please explain her appeal to me.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #4321 on: July 28, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »

So do we think this is a "let Warren supporters down easy while getting money out of them one last time before they get annoyed" fundraiser OR a "preview of what's to come" fundraiser? Because with that July 31st timing, it's surely set up to be one or the other.

Probably the former

That’s so slimy. Might honestly make me consider sitting this election out
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #4322 on: July 28, 2020, 10:37:48 AM »

Qualified, somewhat charismatic, young, attractive, progressive, has appeal with suburban women and social liberals who may not be so enthused about a Biden candidacy. It's really not that hard. I'm not saying she's the best option, but its not realistic to just flat out refuse to acknowledge her strengths along with her weaknesses.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4323 on: July 28, 2020, 10:38:04 AM »

There's also this comment from Perez in June, where he said "late July to early August":

Perez on Biden's timeline:

https://www.witn.com/content/news/DNC-Chair-Tom-Perez-discusses-Joe-Bidens-vice-presidential-pick-571018761.html

Perez said the former vice president plans to make a decision on his vice president in late July to early August.

And then, more recently, on July 14th, this is what Biden himself said about the remaining work to do:

We haven't heard anything about those final interviews taking place yet.  However, campaigns are sometimes able to keep those totally secret.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4324 on: July 28, 2020, 10:41:17 AM »

I'd imagine a state convention in a swing state (Dependent on the individual) would be a good 'debut' event for the running mate that isn't the DNC

Seems to me like a rumor everyone’s just latched onto.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/politics/joe-biden-running-mate/index.html

Apparently "around" August 1st.

This article is from May 27th.
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171 172 [173] 174 175 176 177 178 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies