Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 07:04:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361949 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3925 on: July 22, 2020, 09:18:44 AM »

I don’t think his point is that Harris is any less politiciany than the others — just that they would probably do the same thing she will.

I think Harris would be more aggressive, just because she’s wanted the Presidency for a lot longer than Duckworth or Bass have — everything she has done in her career for decades has been laser-focused on moving up in politics and eventually becoming President of the United States. Bass and Duckworth are in a different league entirely in that department. They might try the same stuff, but Harris has succeeded at doing it in California before and I think her 2024 machinations would make Hillary’s 2016 field-clearing look tame
Not any different than President Obama.

Anyways, unless Joe Biden ends up being an unpopular President (which is unlikely), why should Kamala as the incumbent VP in 2024 not run for the Presidency?

Biden publicly confirms that Whitmer is still in the running:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-says-whitmer-still-in-contention-for-vp-pick/ar-BB171PbC?li=BBnbcA1

"Incredibly and yes," Biden told Wood TV Tuesday when asked how important Michigan is in the presidential race and if Whitmer was still in contention for the vice presidential nomination.
That's surprising. I like Whitmer but I think that it would be terrible optics for a first-term governor who has only been in office for a year and a half to just leave the state behind during the middle of a global pandemic. Also, I would prefer a woman of color to be chosen.

I do like that the Biden campaign realizes how important winning back Michigan is though.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3926 on: July 22, 2020, 09:24:46 AM »

Warren has become an unlikely confidant & adviser to Biden:

https://patch.com/massachusetts/boston/elizabeth-warrens-new-role-key-joe-biden-policy-adviser

Warren, a Massachusetts senator and leading progressive, has become an unlikely confidant and adviser to Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee. They talk every 10 days or so, according to aides to both politicians who spoke on condition of anonymity to freely describe their relationship. Those forums have provided opportunities for Warren to make a case on top policy issues to Biden, who ran a more centrist primary campaign.

He adopted Warren-endorsed plans on personal bankruptcy, expanding Social Security benefits and canceling student-loan debt for millions of Americans. She also helped devise important portions of his post-pandemic economic recovery proposals.

Warren, meanwhile, is lending Biden her progressive credentials and frequently hosts campaign events for him, including one recent fundraiser that brought in $6 million. Only former President Barack Obama secured a greater haul.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3927 on: July 22, 2020, 09:42:18 AM »
« Edited: July 22, 2020, 10:10:11 AM by Devils30 »

I don’t think his point is that Harris is any less politiciany than the others — just that they would probably do the same thing she will.

I think Harris would be more aggressive, just because she’s wanted the Presidency for a lot longer than Duckworth or Bass have — everything she has done in her career for decades has been laser-focused on moving up in politics and eventually becoming President of the United States. Bass and Duckworth are in a different league entirely in that department. They might try the same stuff, but Harris has succeeded at doing it in California before and I think her 2024 machinations would make Hillary’s 2016 field-clearing look tame
Not any different than President Obama.

Anyways, unless Joe Biden ends up being an unpopular President (which is unlikely), why should Kamala as the incumbent VP in 2024 not run for the Presidency?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/biden-says-whitmer-still-in-contention-for-vp-pick/ar-BB171PbC?li=BBnbcA1

"Incredibly and yes," Biden told Wood TV Tuesday when asked how important Michigan is in the presidential race and if Whitmer was still in contention for the vice presidential nomination.
That's surprising. I like Whitmer but I think that it would be terrible optics for a first-term governor who has only been in office for a year and a half to just leave the state behind during the middle of a global pandemic. Also, I would prefer a woman of color to be chosen.

I do like that the Biden campaign realizes how important winning back Michigan is though.

Whitmer is a good pick for Biden. No, she’s not a person of color but she sounds like a natural President when she speaks probably more than any of the other contenders. Don't forget if she ran in 2024-28, she could pick a good Hispanic/African-American male as running mate, someone who's presence on the ticket could be foreclosed by a Harris selection etc.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3928 on: July 22, 2020, 09:53:32 AM »

Funny how the "Kamala is a COP!!!" crew have all but disappeared, when there's a LITERAL former Chief of Police in the mix and she's met with Silence...even praise.

Well that’s not really accurate, I’ve been louder about “Demings is a literal cop” than I ever was about Harris. All in all Harris isn’t a bad pick per say. My problem with her is I don’t think her/her team would be loyal like Biden was and would constantly be trying to get a leg-up for 2024. That’s why I’d prefer someone like Bass or Warren who could reasonably step down and allow an open primary next cycle.
The first female vp isnt going to "step down" just so there's an open primary. Bass and Warren are politicians. And politicians love power. PeriodT.

Kamala has been in elected office longer Warren and the same amount of time as Karen Bass, so you can't claim that Kamala is not a "politician" wanting power
Where did I say she wasnt?!
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3929 on: July 22, 2020, 09:56:00 AM »

Make no mistake, I am all in favour of the VP running in 2024. No matter who she is.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3930 on: July 22, 2020, 11:35:03 AM »

Make no mistake, I am all in favour of the VP running in 2024. No matter who she is.

No one's against the VP running after Biden (whether that's 2024 or 2028) but the Democratic Party in the last two elections has nominated someone who has not been the favorite of the massive upcoming left-leaning Millennial and Gen Z generations. I hope that the next standard bearer after Biden can pass the torch as Biden said. There needs to be a competitive primary so that the Party can hash out its new direction, which is hopefully towards building a multiracial working class coalition that is broad based. Otherwise the GOP will become the only populist party with a competent Trump and we don't want that. My view is frankly, Warren is the VP prospect who has shown the most credible sensitivity to the new currents.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3931 on: July 22, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »

No one's against the VP running after Biden (whether that's 2024 or 2028) but the Democratic Party in the last two elections has nominated someone who has not been the favorite of the massive upcoming left-leaning Millennial and Gen Z generations. I hope that the next standard bearer after Biden can pass the torch as Biden said. There needs to be a competitive primary so that the Party can hash out its new direction, which is hopefully towards building a multiracial working class coalition that is broad based. Otherwise the GOP will become the only populist party with a competent Trump and we don't want that. My view is frankly, Warren is the VP prospect who has shown the most credible sensitivity to the new currents.

The problem is these very lefty urban centric candidates provoke an opposition that others don’t. You can’t run the country only based on mobilization and energy. People are tired of the in your face politics that the far left and Trump offer. Biden should move left on economics while staying away from reparations and open borders.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3932 on: July 22, 2020, 12:10:57 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3933 on: July 22, 2020, 12:15:16 PM »

The problem is these very lefty urban centric candidates provoke an opposition that others don’t. You can’t run the country only based on mobilization and energy. People are tired of the in your face politics that the far left and Trump offer. Biden should move left on economics while staying away from reparations and open borders.

It's not about being "very lefty" but focusing on economic issues. If the election is over identity issues again Trump will win for sure. If Biden can articulate a message that speaks to the people suffering economically he has more of a chance.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3934 on: July 22, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »

What are identity issues? I’m trying to see something.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3935 on: July 22, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3936 on: July 22, 2020, 01:06:55 PM »

Guys, Tammy Duckworth has +10 favorables among the general population and they've increased since the right started attacking her.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #3937 on: July 22, 2020, 01:20:13 PM »
« Edited: July 22, 2020, 01:47:43 PM by Da2017 »

Surprised of the favorability of some of the names. Granted some of it is name recongition. I think the VP should come down to Harris or Duckworth.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3938 on: July 22, 2020, 01:46:09 PM »

This is interesting:

Undecideds: 24% prefer Warren, while 16% prefer Harris

Lean Biden: 25% prefer Warren, while 26% prefer Harris

Definitely Biden: 23% prefer Warren, while 30% prefer Harris
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3939 on: July 22, 2020, 01:48:58 PM »

Yes! If it isn't Kamala or Val Demings, I'm all on the Whitmer train. She has proven to be an able leader, is pragmatic and has charisma. And she's from a critical region. I actually believe she would be one of the best bets for 2024 or 2028 to keep the White House under Democratic control.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3940 on: July 22, 2020, 01:54:44 PM »

Whitmer has that vibe of a superstar candidate based on experience, communication style. The GOP got on her a ton at the beginning of COVID but history is proving her to be right.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3941 on: July 22, 2020, 01:59:25 PM »

This is interesting:

Undecideds: 24% prefer Warren, while 16% prefer Harris

Lean Biden: 25% prefer Warren, while 26% prefer Harris

Definitely Biden: 23% prefer Warren, while 30% prefer Harris

Maybe Warren isn’t gonna turn off all those swing voters after all...
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3942 on: July 22, 2020, 02:26:11 PM »

I never bought the narrative that Democrats and Democrat-leaning Independents hated Warren and would turn on Biden if he chose her. I think it's the same type of nonsense argument as the "white Southern Democrats won't vote for a black man named Barack Hussein Obama" crap we heard back in 2008.

Again, I'm fine with Warren, Harris, Duckworth--the only candidates I'm really apprehensive about are Rice and Demings, but I would still vote for Biden and volunteer for him no matter what. I think we're all overestimating the importance of the VP pick to some degree.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #3943 on: July 22, 2020, 02:42:25 PM »

What are identity issues? I’m trying to see something.

I'm not saying Biden should ignore racism, if that's what you're implying. Contrary, the Democrats should stand strong on that.

But it should not become about "white vs. minority/men vs. women" etc. The campaign should not be "Trump's a bigot." It should be "America has structural problems and we are offering policies to address them for everybody." I truly believe this is the best path for Biden to win.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3944 on: July 22, 2020, 02:47:10 PM »

Bass won't comment on whether she's been interviewed or vetted, also says she doesn't plan to run for president in 2024, even if she's sitting VP:

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3945 on: July 22, 2020, 02:50:35 PM »

Bass won't comment on whether she's been interviewed or vetted, also says she doesn't plan to run for president in 2024, even if she's sitting VP:

Biden doesn't need someone like Warren or Harris who will steal the show but he needs a better succession plan than Bass.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3946 on: July 22, 2020, 02:54:48 PM »

I mean, that has to rule her out if she's really not planning to run, right? She could of course be playing coy and not letting on her real intentions, but we have to assume Biden is making this pick at least with the intention of picking his successor if he decides not to run in 2024.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3947 on: July 22, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »

Biden doesn't need someone like Warren or Harris who will steal the show but he needs a better succession plan than Bass.
By virtue of  being the first female vp, with a high chance of becoming President, Biden is going to be outshone regardless.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3948 on: July 22, 2020, 03:04:20 PM »

Better to have someone with star power, than a wet, uncharismatic Senator from Massa... paper bag.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3949 on: July 22, 2020, 03:06:10 PM »

By virtue of  being the first female vp, with a high chance of becoming President, Biden is going to be outshone regardless.
Let's face it. He's a damn near 80 year old white man. He can be outshone by almost anyone.
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 [158] 159 160 161 162 163 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies