Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 05:38:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361933 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3850 on: July 21, 2020, 10:11:30 AM »

Election Betting Odds this AM:
Harris 36.7%
Rice 23.7%
Duckworth 10.7%
Demings 6.7%
Warren 6.6%
M. Obama 3.1%
Bottoms 2.6%
Lujan Grisham 1.9%
Clinton 1.2%
Whitmer 1.1%
Abrams 1.1%

How Rice is that high is beyond me, personally.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #3851 on: July 21, 2020, 10:14:44 AM »

Biden's team is not leaking anything. It seems like most articles just cite Democratic insiders and not anyone specifically associated with the search.

That actually speaks for him. Campaigns and admins with tons of leaks usually have problems and a poor work culture. Loyal staffers usually don't leak. If Biden wins, his WH will be a very sharp contrast to the Drumpf Admin. Some would call it a "fine tuned machine".

That is actually why I don't think he will pick Harris, her team was a leak machine in the primaries and a lot of it was quite ugly.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/29/us/politics/kamala-harris-2020.html

If Duckworth can convince Biden she is up to the job, there is very little downside in picking her. Average people don't care if she is polished at giving speeches, they like someone authentic.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3852 on: July 21, 2020, 10:20:04 AM »

Biden's team is not leaking anything. It seems like most articles just cite Democratic insiders and not anyone specifically associated with the search.

That actually speaks for him. Campaigns and admins with tons of leaks usually have problems and a poor work culture. Loyal staffers usually don't leak. If Biden wins, his WH will be a very sharp contrast to the Drumpf Admin. Some would call it a "fine tuned machine".

That is actually why I don't think he will pick Harris, her team was a leak machine in the primaries and a lot of it was quite ugly.

If Duckworth can convince Biden she is up to the job, there is very little downside in picking her. Average people don't care if she is polished at giving speeches, they like someone authentic.

Ah here we go again with Harris isn't authentic. Also, her primary campaign has nothing to do with how she would handle VP.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3853 on: July 21, 2020, 10:35:19 AM »

Ah here we go again with Harris isn't authentic. Also, her primary campaign has nothing to do with how she would handle VP.

Yup, though I hope Maya won't have a huge role. Harris didn't run a bad campaign. For sure, they made mistakes, but we shouldn't assume Harris is incapable of learning. Her name isn't Trump.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3854 on: July 21, 2020, 10:35:31 AM »

No. It’s in regard to leaks/staffing. She didn’t display strong leadership skills during her campaign.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3855 on: July 21, 2020, 10:53:13 AM »

She overhauled her team after her campaign ended. Next
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3856 on: July 21, 2020, 11:49:10 AM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3857 on: July 21, 2020, 12:19:49 PM »

Interesting.

Didn't quite notice the subtext until it was pointed out.

This is why I think Warren still has a shot, albeit she may not necessarily be the favorite. Even if this was about throwing progressives a bone, he could've chosen to just vet Karen Bass, Barbara Lee, Ayanna Pressley, & Sheila Jackson Lee. His team could've calibrated the media - like Kamala is doing - to subtly introduce a new pick, even if they had a lower name ID than Warren or Kamala.

The fact that he's not only refusing to commit to a Black woman, but is also consistently reiterating every single time that he's been supported by the Black community & that he's earned their support for decades, feels like he's leaving the door open to him picking a white woman, which means, as Fineman theorizes, he's actually considering Warren & still sees her a solid choice.

Now again, this doesn't mean she's likely to get it, but it does mean that all of the stuff about how it's basically already been decided in favor of Kamala isn't true. The decision is ultimately his, & he's clearly still mulling it over between his choices.

My personal gut feeling is that he sees Warren & Rice as his best governing choices, but that Rice never having contested an election is a risk he's unlikely to take, which results in discomfort within Bidenworld over potentially picking a white woman when it comes to Warren. But for such a conventional wisdom front-runner, there hasn't been the sort of coalescing around Kamala that you'd expect if she was a lock (though I still think it's ultimately gonna be her & it'll be fine).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3858 on: July 21, 2020, 12:30:14 PM »

Eh, his interpretation isn't really correct though. That's not exactly how Biden said it.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3859 on: July 21, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »

Also, if he commits to choosing a black woman right now, it’ll take away the excitement of having done so when he ultimately announces the running mate.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3860 on: July 21, 2020, 01:14:28 PM »

Interesting.

Didn't quite notice the subtext until it was pointed out.

This is why I think Warren still has a shot, albeit she may not necessarily be the favorite. Even if this was about throwing progressives a bone, he could've chosen to just vet Karen Bass, Barbara Lee, Ayanna Pressley, & Sheila Jackson Lee. His team could've calibrated the media - like Kamala is doing - to subtly introduce a new pick, even if they had a lower name ID than Warren or Kamala.

The fact that he's not only refusing to commit to a Black woman, but is also consistently reiterating every single time that he's been supported by the Black community & that he's earned their support for decades, feels like he's leaving the door open to him picking a white woman, which means, as Fineman theorizes, he's actually considering Warren & still sees her a solid choice.

Now again, this doesn't mean she's likely to get it, but it does mean that all of the stuff about how it's basically already been decided in favor of Kamala isn't true. The decision is ultimately his, & he's clearly still mulling it over between his choices.

My personal gut feeling is that he sees Warren & Rice as his best governing choices, but that Rice never having contested an election is a risk he's unlikely to take, which results in discomfort within Bidenworld over potentially picking a white woman when it comes to Warren. But for such a conventional wisdom front-runner, there hasn't been the sort of coalescing around Kamala that you'd expect if she was a lock (though I still think it's ultimately gonna be her & it'll be fine).

I think Fineman is just being part of the elite political class by saying if its not an African-American, it is definitely Warren. If the party is okay with a white running mate, you can't rule out someone like Whitmer being a darkhorse (yeah she's been quiet lately but she had her audition months ago). Duckworth is also in the mix and this goes completely over Fineman's head.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3861 on: July 21, 2020, 01:35:22 PM »

Duckworth would be the best choice. Warren would be my favorite, but Duckworth essentially has no downsides. She's smart, experienced, a veteran, a POC, inoffensive, disabled, and is more progressive than Biden, but not so much as to turn off the moderates Biden is trying to court. Not my first choice, but she is pretty much the perfect running mate.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3862 on: July 21, 2020, 01:38:23 PM »

Well you don't only lump Elizabeth Warren into this, you have to add Tammy Duckworth and Michelle Lujan Grisham as non-Black women that he's looking into. But, like I've said, who ever Joe Biden chooses as his running mate I will support them 100%. He's been running a great campaign and I really just want to get to November so we can vote Trump out of office and get towards the end of January to be finally over this nonsense.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #3863 on: July 21, 2020, 02:49:16 PM »

If that’s why you think he shouldn’t pick Harris, he should pick Harris
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #3864 on: July 21, 2020, 03:18:31 PM »

Hope it is Duckworth
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #3865 on: July 21, 2020, 03:21:17 PM »

I hope it is Cadence owens
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3866 on: July 21, 2020, 03:25:50 PM »

So Obama just dropped this video about the Great Recession & the current economic issues we're facing. Guess who pops up at the 1:10 mark?

If she's not VP, I'll almost feel bad for whoever they do pick because you just can't beat this.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3867 on: July 21, 2020, 03:44:54 PM »

There are two people in this world whose voices make me happy to hear unfailingly:

Elizabeth Warren and Kendrick Lamar in his verse on "No More Parties in LA" by Kanye West

oh, and, uh, my fiancee too, of course
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3868 on: July 21, 2020, 03:55:10 PM »

Of the ones being talked about, Duckworth or Bass would be smartest.  The others have too much baggage.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3869 on: July 21, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »

Howard Fineman was reaching for the stars. Lol.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3870 on: July 21, 2020, 04:17:09 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2020, 11:14:00 PM by Make PA Blue Again! »

Of the ones being talked about, Duckworth or Bass would be smartest.  The others have too much baggage.

Bass’s comments on Fidel Castro alone should knock her out of contention.

There is no room for error in this election.
BidenHarris2020

« Reply #3871 on: July 21, 2020, 04:34:02 PM »

Expect an uptick in chatter around 1 candidate from Monday..
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3872 on: July 21, 2020, 04:34:29 PM »

I don't particularly mind either of the Big Six - although Bass would obviously throw Florida to the Republicans.

The chaos agent in me wants it to be Warren because it will trigger pretty much everyone but the Warrenistas.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #3873 on: July 21, 2020, 05:15:50 PM »

I hate to be "that guy" constantly asking questions that have probably been answered. But assuming it is Warren, how would things look with her Senate seat? I'm not sure what Massachusetts does in a situation like that.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3874 on: July 21, 2020, 05:17:26 PM »

I hate to be "that guy" constantly asking questions that have probably been answered. But assuming it is Warren, how would things look with her Senate seat? I'm not sure what Massachusetts does in a situation like that.

The governor appoints her replacement, but Democrats have a supermajority in the legislature and could force him to appoint a Democrat.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 [155] 156 157 158 159 160 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies