Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 02:20:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366458 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3125 on: June 28, 2020, 11:58:34 AM »

Duckworth has not been vetted on a national stage, and we have no idea what could be hiding in her past. Not sure how anyone could come up with the conclusion that putting her on the ticket has "virtually no downsides"
Isn't this the entire point of vetting?
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3126 on: June 28, 2020, 12:02:29 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 07:18:05 PM by ON Progressive »

Duckworth would be a great choice. She’s about as safe a pick as Biden could get—virtually no downsides.

If anything, FDR's presidency made putting disabled people on the ticket more feasible. Plenty of presidents/VPs have had serious health conditions in office, including some that were well known about at the time (for instance, Cheney's heart condition, which surely impressed voters by revealing that he possessed a heart to begin with).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3127 on: June 28, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »

Duckworth has not been vetted on a national stage, and we have no idea what could be hiding in her past. Not sure how anyone could come up with the conclusion that putting her on the ticket has "virtually no downsides"
Isn't this the entire point of vetting?

What I'm saying is, for someone like Harris, Warren, or Rice, the public already knows about their past and it's been dealt with. Putting someone who has no national experience out there with stories that no one in the public knows about that could drive coverage for days makes no sense.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #3128 on: June 28, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 07:17:48 PM by ON Progressive »

Duckworth would be a great choice. She’s about as safe a pick as Biden could get—virtually no downsides.

If anything, FDR's presidency made putting disabled people on the ticket more feasible. Plenty of presidents/VPs have had serious health conditions in office, including some that were well known about at the time (for instance, Cheney's heart condition, which surely impressed voters by revealing that he possessed a heart to begin with).

Haha loved this part.  Ever seen the movie Vice?  Christian Bale said his inspiration for playing Cheney was Satan...haha.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #3129 on: June 28, 2020, 12:28:47 PM »

I think people are overestimating how much Lujan Grisham can help with Latino outreach--she doesn't speak Spanish. The biggest advantage of a Hispanic/Latino running mate is if they can reach out to older and first generation Latinos who may not speak English or struggle with it. A running mate who can speak Spanish is a huge asset for any presidential candidate these days. But Lujan Grisham doesn't have that asset. She has a Spanish surname (at least half of it), but is that alone enough to significantly boost Latino turnout? I doubt it.
Flo 2.0
Soje
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3130 on: June 28, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 07:15:39 PM by ON Progressive »

lmao friend this seems pretty ableist ngl
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3131 on: June 28, 2020, 01:18:34 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 07:15:24 PM by ON Progressive »

Cool to know that the centrist position on disabled veterans is that their disability is a “downside”
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3132 on: June 28, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »

My "fear" about Duckworth is that her inspiring story will be twisted so much that she's popularly thought of as "the affirmative action pick." Some voters are already feeling that way about Biden's pledge to run with a woman. I don't know if it would be an effective line of attack, and it wouldn't be a reason for me not to choose her, but it's something that's been on my mind. Disabled, Asian American, woman, new mother, war vet... Republicans are horrible people; who knows what they'll come up with.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3133 on: June 28, 2020, 01:44:23 PM »

My "fear" about Duckworth is that her inspiring story will be twisted so much that she's popularly thought of as "the affirmative action pick." Some voters are already feeling that way about Biden's pledge to run with a woman. I don't know if it would be an effective line of attack, and it wouldn't be a reason for me not to choose her, but it's something that's been on my mind. Disabled, Asian American, woman, new mother, war vet... Republicans are horrible people; who knows what they'll come up with.

They'll do that with anyone who wasn't a big name beforehand unless there's a more effective attack line for the eventual VP pick. That leaves Warren and maaaaayyybe Harris (Michelle Obama is not accepting the job even if offered and HRC isn't getting the call despite occasional speculation in the beltway). It'll happen with Warren anyway because of DNAgate.
MAPZZ
Rookie
« Reply #3134 on: June 28, 2020, 01:45:10 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 07:22:24 PM by ON Progressive »

Weird take.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #3135 on: June 28, 2020, 02:12:32 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 07:22:39 PM by ON Progressive »

Lol wtf? Bronz, please explain this take in more detail.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3136 on: June 28, 2020, 03:59:21 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 07:24:32 PM by ON Progressive »

I have cerebral palsy. I am in a wheelchair. I hope her run for office one day. Tammy is an inspiration to me and I hope to see her on the ticket. You are being offensive AF
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3137 on: June 28, 2020, 04:20:28 PM »

It just occurred to me but isn't it a bit weird that nobody ever mentions that Harris will also be the first Asian-American on a presidential ticket?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3138 on: June 28, 2020, 04:30:44 PM »

It just occurred to me but isn't it a bit weird that nobody ever mentions that Harris will also be the first Asian-American on a presidential ticket?

She seemingly doesn't identify as mixed or Asian, and most Americans don't think Indians are Asians anyway.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3139 on: June 28, 2020, 04:42:03 PM »

KLB just tweeted about the one-year anniversary of her endorsement of Joe. I had forgotten they came the day after the debate. In the tweet she talks about how she’s proud that she’s been with him since the beginning. do we think that’s enough active play or no?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3140 on: June 28, 2020, 04:49:39 PM »

KLB just tweeted about the one-year anniversary of her endorsement of Joe. I had forgotten they came the day after the debate. In the tweet she talks about how she’s proud that she’s been with him since the beginning. do we think that’s enough active play or no?

She's on the DNC 2020 platform committee or something like that so I doubt it's her
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3141 on: June 28, 2020, 05:04:47 PM »

She seemingly doesn't identify as mixed or Asian, and most Americans don't think Indians are Asians anyway.
Yeah, this. She identifies as a Black woman.

Also, most Americans when they hear the word "Asian" think of people who are of East Asian & Southeast Asian ancestry (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, etc).

It's the complete opposite in the UK. Most British people when they hear the word "Asian" think of South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans, etc).

It has to do with history. Most Asians in the US are of East/Southeast Asian ancestry and the US has been much more involved in East & Southeast Asian affairs (Commodore Matthew C. Perry opening up Japan, Boxer Rebellion, annexation of The Philippines, rebuilding Japan after WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, Nixon opening up mainland China, etc) than in South Asia. Most Asians in the UK are of South Asian ancestry and the UK colonized basically all of South Asia/the Indian subcontinent.
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #3142 on: June 28, 2020, 05:06:43 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 05:30:07 PM by Progressive Icon Bill de Blasio »

Fun facts! If picked, Harris will neither be the first female vice presidential nominee - Farrero ('84), Palin ('08) - nor even the first non-white one - Curtis ('28), Lieberman* ('00)!

* Lieberman is white
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3143 on: June 28, 2020, 05:11:02 PM »

Yeah, this. She identifies as a Black woman.

Also, most Americans when they hear the word "Asian" think of people who are of East Asian & Southeast Asian ancestry (Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino, etc).

It's the complete opposite in the UK. Most British people when they hear the word "Asian" think of South Asians (Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Sri Lankans, etc).

It has to do with history. Most Asians in the US are of East/Southeast Asian ancestry and the US has been much more involved in East & Southeast Asian affairs (Commodore Matthew C. Perry opening up Japan, Boxer Rebellion, annexation of The Philippines, rebuilding Japan after WWII, Korean War, Vietnam War, Nixon opening up mainland China, etc) than in South Asia. Most Asians in the UK are of South Asian ancestry and the UK colonized basically all of South Asia/the Indian subcontinent.

Americans call them "Desi".

Fun facts! If picked, Harris will neither be the first female vice presidential nominee - Farrero ('84), Palin ('08) - nor even the first non-white one - Curtis ('28), Lieberman ('00)!

Lieberman is white...
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3144 on: June 28, 2020, 05:17:58 PM »

Fun facts! If picked, Harris will neither be the first female vice presidential nominee - Farrero ('84), Palin ('08) - nor even the first non-white one - Curtis ('28), Lieberman ('00)!
Lieberman is a white man.

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3145 on: June 28, 2020, 05:36:30 PM »

Fun facts! If picked, Harris will neither be the first female vice presidential nominee - Farrero ('84), Palin ('08) - nor even the first non-white one - Curtis ('28), Lieberman* ('00)!

* Lieberman is white

Go thing you edited this, or else I would call you out for an antisemitic dog-whistle, even though I don't like Lieberman as a politician.

I think it's telling though that Biden is looking to pick a female VP to appeal to his average voter, whereas Farrero and Palin were selected to add a jolt of uniqueness to struggling tickets. Times change.
politics_king
United States

« Reply #3146 on: June 28, 2020, 05:51:25 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 05:55:22 PM by politics_king »

She's on the DNC 2020 platform committee or something like that so I doubt it's her

I don't think Joe Biden can really make bad choice right now out of the top contenders. If it was my personal choice, I would pick Keisha Lance Bottoms but that's just me personally, just something about her and the way she carries herself I really like. But Harris, Demings, Warren, Duckworth or even Rice, I'm good with.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #3147 on: June 28, 2020, 05:52:02 PM »

The New York Times had a great piece yesterday on Duckworth. It pointed out that she is a moderate, but she wears it on her sleeve less then say Klobuchar or Coons, so she could be a pick that everyone could be on board with.. And I really don’t think it matters that she’s on the platform committee. All evidence indicated she’s still being vetted.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3148 on: June 28, 2020, 08:41:23 PM »

Just pick Kamala to help ramp up the turnout. An African American woman would be a great addition to the ticket, but demings, and especially bottoms and Abrams, are all minor Leaguers.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #3149 on: June 28, 2020, 09:37:23 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2020, 10:14:37 PM by Ogre Mage »

Actually she does identify as a member of the APIA community.  This is from Harris's "Action for API Americans" on her (old) presidential campaign website:

As a member of the APIA community, Kamala understands firsthand the unique and wide-ranging concerns facing the rich tapestry of ethnicities, languages, and cultures that form this diverse community. Kamala knows our country is stronger for this diversity and will fight for equal opportunity, access to justice, and human rights for all API Americans.

How she'll do it ...
https://kamalaharris.org/policies/apia-action/

As for the fact this is not discussed, Asian-Americans have long been rendered invisible in the media.

This is a puff video piece with Kamala Harris and Mindy Kaling cooking masala dosa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7rNOAFkgE

Pages: 1 ... 121 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128 129 130 131 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies