Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 02:38:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362556 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2975 on: June 24, 2020, 06:54:23 AM »

Oh god this is embarrassing. Please just pick Duckworth

what is embarrassing about it? it was a debate. what is she supposed to say? after 2008 and 2016, people need to stop taking tiffs in debates so seriously later on

The debate moment was fine. What's concerning us how she"s completely unprepared to respond to a predictable line if questioning.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2976 on: June 24, 2020, 08:07:28 AM »

what is embarrassing about it? it was a debate. what is she supposed to say? after 2008 and 2016, people need to stop taking tiffs in debates so seriously later on

The debate moment was fine. What's concerning us how she"s completely unprepared to respond to a predictable line if questioning.
Not really. What else was she supposed to say? "I meant what I said and Joe Biden will not get my vote"?

People say disparaging stuff that they don't mean half the time in a primary. Also, I see people all the time insinuating that Kamala is basically the 21st century & non-white version of Bull Connor when she was a prosecutor.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2977 on: June 24, 2020, 08:12:13 AM »

So you expect her to reiterate a negative critique of Joe Biden during the general election? It was a debate. This clip is so benign. Like.... folks are grasping at anything.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2978 on: June 24, 2020, 08:33:09 AM »

If folks would read the Nixon tweet,  One of the replies captures what she should’ve said
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2979 on: June 24, 2020, 08:46:05 AM »

If folks would read the Nixon tweet,  One of the replies captures what she should’ve said

Seriously.  It's not that hard.

Anyway, I want to be clear that I like Harris and I hope Biden picks her as his running mate.  But I also agree with Nixon--Harris just isn't that quick on her feet, and isn't a natural politician like Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, or even Joe Biden.  She's more like Hillary.  Which is fine!  I love Hillary and think she would have been a superb president.  Campaigning and governing are just two different skill sets, and it's rare for a politician to excel at both. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2980 on: June 24, 2020, 08:48:21 AM »

There was multiple ways she could answer that question. People are truly reaching to be 'outraged' at whatever she does or says.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2981 on: June 24, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »

Can someone give me a reasonable reason why Ayanna Pressley isn’t being considered? She’s worked in a Senate office, she’s worked on a presidential campaign, she defeated an incumbent. She is the true Unity pick and I see no excuse why she isn’t running away with it.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2982 on: June 24, 2020, 10:00:58 AM »

Can someone give me a reasonable reason why Ayanna Pressley isn’t being considered? She’s worked in a Senate office, she’s worked on a presidential campaign, she defeated an incumbent. She is the true Unity pick and I see no excuse why she isn’t running away with it.

She's a first-term Congressional rep, i.e. she's unqualified.  The veep pick should be and will be a Senator, Governor, high-level Cabinet official, or prominent member of House leadership.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2983 on: June 24, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »

Anyway, I want to be clear that I like Harris and I hope Biden picks her as his running mate.  But I also agree with Nixon--Harris just isn't that quick on her feet, and isn't a natural politician like Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, or even Joe Biden.  She's more like Hillary.  Which is fine!  I love Hillary and think she would have been a superb president.  Campaigning and governing are just two different skill sets, and it's rare for a politician to excel at both. 

Harris is a lot warmer has more charisma. She probably more like George HW. Warren is more like Hillary. Both are fine choices for Vp.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2984 on: June 24, 2020, 10:21:08 AM »

Harris is a lot warmer has more charisma. She probably more like George HW. Warren is more like Hillary. Both are fine choices for Vp.

Yeah no, Harris is definitely more Hillary-like than Warren.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2985 on: June 24, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »

I’ve often compared Harris to HW Bush. She may not be directly in the loop about the things she gets blamed for, and she wants to do the right thing, but she’s far too trusting of her deputies and friends, unable to get a handle on what’s really going on.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2986 on: June 24, 2020, 11:56:49 AM »

It would appear that Harris being out front and center lately is helping her. Her favorability used to be at like -6 on YouGov polls - it's in the positive now

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/cjd35jrh5o/econTabReport.pdf
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #2987 on: June 24, 2020, 12:21:39 PM »

I’ve often compared Harris to HW Bush. She may not be directly in the loop about the things she gets blamed for, and she wants to do the right thing, but she’s far too trusting of her deputies and friends, unable to get a handle on what’s really going on.

This is a solid anti-Harris point. For all the screeching on here about 'muh prosecutor' and 'muh identity politics', the biggest problem with her campaign was staffing/managerial, with her sister Maya crowding out the actual campaign manager and causing confusion.

A second problem was Harris' inability to stick to one case for her candidacy, but idk. Seems like a problem that was caused by having 19 other candidates and she's "found herself" on the issues now.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2988 on: June 24, 2020, 12:58:59 PM »

Karen Bass would be good as well

If Harris is picked, they will bring back the desegregation/busing thing
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2989 on: June 24, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »

The extent to which all the attacks on Harris have proven to be silliness like this has me thinking she might not be such a bad VP pick after all.  I mean, if this is the worst folks can come up with...
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2990 on: June 24, 2020, 01:19:41 PM »

This is a solid anti-Harris point. For all the screeching on here about 'muh prosecutor' and 'muh identity politics', the biggest problem with her campaign was staffing/managerial, with her sister Maya crowding out the actual campaign manager and causing confusion.

A second problem was Harris' inability to stick to one case for her candidacy, but idk. Seems like a problem that was caused by having 19 other candidates and she's "found herself" on the issues now.

That was my main concern about her always, that she isn't a very good administrator/manager.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2991 on: June 24, 2020, 01:44:59 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2020, 01:52:19 PM by Make PA Blue Again! »

Anyway, I want to be clear that I like Harris and I hope Biden picks her as his running mate.  But I also agree with Nixon--Harris just isn't that quick on her feet, and isn't a natural politician like Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, or even Joe Biden.  She's more like Hillary.  Which is fine!  I love Hillary and think she would have been a superb president.  Campaigning and governing are just two different skill sets, and it's rare for a politician to excel at both.  

Can we stop camparing female politicians to Hillary Clinton when we don't like them? Everyone has their flaws.

Kamala Harris is much more charismatic and personable than Clinton.

On the flip side, let's also stop comparing Republican women to Sarah Palin. I know I have been guilty of it, but it's inappropriate.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2992 on: June 24, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »

Any female politician that you don't like is not "like Hillary" you guys. Stop it.

Kamala is NOTHING like Hillary.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #2993 on: June 24, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »

Any female politician that you don't like is not "like Hillary" you guys. Stop it.

Hey, I said Kamala is like Hillary because I like Hillary Clinton.  I'm stickin' to my guns on this one.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2994 on: June 24, 2020, 01:59:07 PM »

Hey, I said Kamala is like Hillary because I like Hillary Clinton.  I'm stickin' to my guns on this one.
I was speaking generally. Also, there are other posters who used that comparison negatively.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #2995 on: June 24, 2020, 02:05:52 PM »

They both subscribe to the "I hated that question so now I'm fake laughing!" school of thought. Otherwise I agree. Not that it's important, just off-putting... like Chick-fil-A customer service.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2996 on: June 24, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »

Anyway, I want to be clear that I like Harris and I hope Biden picks her as his running mate.  But I also agree with Nixon--Harris just isn't that quick on her feet, and isn't a natural politician like Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, or even Joe Biden.  She's more like Hillary.  Which is fine!  I love Hillary and think she would have been a superb president.  Campaigning and governing are just two different skill sets, and it's rare for a politician to excel at both.  

Can we stop camparing female politicians to Hillary Clinton when we don't like them? Everyone has their flaws.

Kamala Harris is much more charismatic and personable than Clinton.

Sure we can... but I don’t dislike Hillary. They’re both just a little awkward when they try to be funny, whereas Warren is usually way more successful at getting a joke across.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2997 on: June 24, 2020, 03:51:43 PM »

Also in the YouGov poll: who do you think should be selected as Joe Biden’s VP?
(Among voters voting for Joe Biden)

Kamala Harris 24%
Elizabeth Warren 18%
Stacey Abrams 9%
Susan Rice 6%
Val Demings 3%
Gretchen Whitmer 3%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2%
Tammy Baldwin 1%
Michelle Lujan Grisham 1%

Females: Harris 22%, Warren 17%, Abrams 10%
Males: Harris 26%, Warren 20%, Abrams 8%
18-29: Warren 25%, Harris 21%, Abrams 8%
Whites: Harris 21%, Warren 18%, Abrams 8%
Blacks: Harris 21%, Warren 19%, Abrams 14%
Hispanics: Harris 37%, Warren 16%, Abrams 6%
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2998 on: June 24, 2020, 03:54:21 PM »

Kamala Harris 24%
Elizabeth Warren 18%
Stacey Abrams 9%
Susan Rice 6%
Val Demings 3%
Gretchen Whitmer 3%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2%
Tammy Baldwin 1%

This shows that Harris has both wide appeal and a wider base than what some in here like to claim.

Also, if Biden has a "Hispanic voter problem", then this poll CLEARLY shows that he should pick Kamala.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2999 on: June 24, 2020, 03:58:57 PM »

Kamala Harris 24%
Elizabeth Warren 18%
Stacey Abrams 9%
Susan Rice 6%
Val Demings 3%
Gretchen Whitmer 3%
Keisha Lance Bottoms 2%
Tammy Baldwin 1%

I maintain my stance that these polls are largely based on name recognition, but Harris’s strength with Hispanics is interesting. She also seems to have really improved her favorability rating since she dropped out of the primary.
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 [120] 121 122 123 124 125 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies