Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:42:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366425 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2875 on: June 22, 2020, 04:07:04 PM »

She has a lot of skeletons in her closet. Only was a war hero who sacrificed her body for this country. I’ll take the chance her problems are less than Kamalas.

Just because you're a war hero doesn't make you a good VP prospect though? Again, half the people in this thread are not willing to have an objective conversation about all of this
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2876 on: June 22, 2020, 04:07:47 PM »

This is interesting. One of the women who wrote an editorial on Kamala back in early 2019 is changing her tune on how "bad" her "record" is

Almost makes you wonder if many of the attacks on Harris's record were done in bad faith.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2877 on: June 22, 2020, 05:05:48 PM »

This is interesting. One of the women who wrote an editorial on Kamala back in early 2019 is changing her tune on how "bad" her "record" is

Almost makes you wonder if many of the attacks on Harris's record were done in bad faith.

You love to see it!

All of last year when I supported Kamala for President, Bernie Bros and other anti-Kamala haters would bring up this article. It was so annoying. "Kamala is a cop", "Kamala is not a progressive", "Kamala locked up Black men"; "Kamala terrorized Black & Brown Californians", etc.

Now, finally, the author admits the truth. Wonderful!
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2878 on: June 22, 2020, 05:13:37 PM »

The fact that some people in here actually believed that Harris sent to jail parents because their kids skipped school just goes to show how gullible, or worse, some so-called progressives are.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2879 on: June 22, 2020, 05:15:55 PM »

I would love Duckworth to be it. So Susana Mendoza would move into that seat, but its Warren and new AG Klobuchar, and SOS Stacy Abrams.😍😍😍

Its Kennedy and Pressley for MA seat

What exactly are Abrams' qualifications to be Secretary of State?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2880 on: June 22, 2020, 05:46:52 PM »

I would love Duckworth to be it. So Susana Mendoza would move into that seat, but its Warren and new AG Klobuchar, and SOS Stacy Abrams.😍😍😍

Its Kennedy and Pressley for MA seat

What exactly are Abrams' qualifications to be Secretary of State?

Atlas has a weird tendency to hype Abrams up for jobs she is clearly not qualified for. I don't get the obsession.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2881 on: June 22, 2020, 05:59:38 PM »

Again, these are just allies of Harris. We have no clue if Biden and one of the others are hitting it off behind the scenes.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2882 on: June 22, 2020, 06:01:02 PM »

She's still the best fundraiser, she still has the best plans, & she's still the first choice of many. Good to know. (And I'm sure this surely helps make today a happy birthday for her!)

Name recognition polls are meaningless! Of course Demings  Whitmer and Duckworth won't be popular because they are not well known.

For the record: other candidates who'd supposedly appeal more to POC not leading in polls because of "lower name recognition" doesn't explain for the fact that Warren also consistently has the lowest unfavorables. If you have less name recognition, yet still have high unfavorables, then your "over-performance" in favorability - based on the disparity in name recognition - still doesn't mean much (in fact, it's objectively pretty bad).
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #2883 on: June 22, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »

Atlas has a weird tendency to hype Abrams up for jobs she is clearly not qualified for. I don't get the obsession.

It's not just Atlas, she's been overhyped in general ever since her Georgia gov run. Beto and Abrams were overhyped by dems in 2018 because it would be a huge milestone for either of those states to elect a non-blue dog Democrat to statewide office. Of course neither of them won, but the hype they generated gave them an unusually high level of name recognition. I think that's what it really comes down to. People remember being excited by and rooting for Stacey Abrams (as I was), and that familiarity and favorability just carried onto the Veepstakes.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2884 on: June 22, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »

Again, these are just allies of Harris. We have no clue if Biden and one of the others are hitting it off behind the scenes.
Um, Lara Bazelon (the author of the January 2019 NYT Op-Ed against Kamala) is definitely NOT an ally of Kamala. What are you talking about lol?

Once again, you let your anti-Kamala bias cloud your judgement. Give it up.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #2885 on: June 22, 2020, 06:20:53 PM »

Once Warren is selected as Veep, since she is endorsing all the Senate candidates,  Biden doesn't have to worry about missing in action and let Warren do all the work. It will take some pressure off of Joe Kennedy to must win the Dem primary in Sept, due to running for a special election
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2886 on: June 22, 2020, 06:21:05 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2020, 06:30:07 PM by DisneyDem »

So does duckworth and KLB Being on the platform Committee help or hurt them? I’ve never paid much attention to this aspect
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2887 on: June 22, 2020, 06:27:09 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2020, 06:30:24 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

It's not just Atlas, she's been overhyped in general ever since her Georgia gov run. Beto and Abrams were overhyped by dems in 2018 because it would be a huge milestone for either of those states to elect a non-blue dog Democrat to statewide office. Of course neither of them won, but the hype they generated gave them an unusually high level of name recognition. I think that's what it really comes down to. People remember being excited by and rooting for Stacey Abrams (as I was), and that familiarity and favorability just carried onto the Veepstakes.

*Guiltily raises hand and stands up*

Admittedly I started the Stacey Abrams hype back in 2018, but that was before she lost her gubernatorial bid.  After that, I looked elsewhere.  Apparently some haven't moved on...  

*Sits back down*
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2888 on: June 22, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »

I wonder if Warren being in the veepstakes makes it more likely she'll be offered Treasury.

There is no chance she gives up her Senate seat unless she's going for VP. I also don't feel like Biden would offer her that post.

I dunno.  The position may not get as much media coverage, but with the President's backing a talented Treasury Secretary can get a lot more done than a single Senator can, even one who commands the limelight.  Treasury is a powerful department.  Plus, there's gotta be something appealing about being America's first female Treasury Secretary.

I've been reading Adam Tooze's "Crashed" and I can say explicitly that Treasury Secretary is probably one of the most powerful positions in shaping the world at this point.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2889 on: June 22, 2020, 06:38:24 PM »

KLB was just named the chairwoman for the 2020 Democratic Party Platform committee. I wonder if that means she's out of the running.

Duckworth was also named a member of the committee.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2890 on: June 22, 2020, 07:04:42 PM »

KLB was just named the chairwoman for the 2020 Democratic Party Platform committee. I wonder if that means she's out of the running.

No way they'd agree (even to the initial press release) if they thought they had a realistic chance.

It's Abrams, Demings, Harris, or Warren.

And that committee is deep with Warren endorsees.

This might as well be Warren pulling a Cheney.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2891 on: June 22, 2020, 07:13:52 PM »

Did the 2000 republican committee have a lot of Cheney loyalists?
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2892 on: June 22, 2020, 07:20:51 PM »

Did the 2000 republican committee have a lot of Cheney loyalists?

Unsure but I could research.

The 2020 Democratic committee looks heavily Warren-friendly, however.

These are the private citizen members alone.

Stuart Appelbaum - President of the Retail, Wholesale, Department Store Union, Democratic Donor

Don Graves - Head of Community Relations at KeyBank, Democratic Donor

Josh Orton - Huffington Post contributor, Harry Reid/Barack Obama digital communications aide, Sanders 2020 National Policy Director

Richard Trumka - AFL-CIO President, Democratic Donor

Analilia Mejia - Executive Director of the New Jersey Working Families Alliance (affiliate of the Working Families Party, which notably endorsed Warren for President)

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2893 on: June 22, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2020, 08:02:33 PM by Make PA Blue Again! »

No way they'd agree (even to the initial press release) if they thought they had a realistic chance.

You certainly are very optimistic about Abrams’s chances...
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2894 on: June 22, 2020, 07:33:06 PM »

You certainly are very optimistic about Abrams chances...

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that Abrams is out of the running at this point.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2895 on: June 22, 2020, 08:35:08 PM »

You certainly are very optimistic about Abrams chances...

Yeah, it seems pretty clear that Abrams is out of the running at this point.

One can hope. Tongue

I just think it would make sense that KLB's seemingly exit would open up a last opportunity for her.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2896 on: June 22, 2020, 09:16:02 PM »

Demings pretty much saying she’s not interested.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2897 on: June 22, 2020, 09:17:06 PM »

Damn.  So it is Kamala Harris after all... 
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2898 on: June 22, 2020, 09:17:50 PM »

Damn.  So it is Kamala Harris after all... 

It was always going to be her.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2899 on: June 22, 2020, 09:44:40 PM »

I wouldn't read too much into it.  I think she's just being coy.  Tim Kaine said similar things in 2016, that he saw himself remaining in the Senate.
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 [116] 117 118 119 120 121 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies