Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 02:21:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361620 times)
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2775 on: June 21, 2020, 09:25:01 AM »

If the Democrats nominate Harris they can never talk about prosecutorial misconduct ever again.
Please provide receipts of KAMALA HARRIS, not one of the thousands of lawyers who worked under her, engaging in prosecutorial misconduct or applying the law in a way that was inequitable. I’m waiting.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2776 on: June 21, 2020, 09:51:17 AM »

If the Democrats nominate Harris they can never talk about prosecutorial misconduct ever again.
Please provide receipts of KAMALA HARRIS, not one of the thousands of lawyers who worked under her, engaging in prosecutorial misconduct or applying the law in a way that was inequitable. I’m waiting.
Deliberately misunderstanding how DA/AG offices Work To own the libs
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2777 on: June 21, 2020, 10:42:19 AM »

Biden should pick Demings and get it over with, some people arent that fond of Kamala Harris since she dropped out her bid for Prez.

Abrams is viable for SOS or HUD with Urban League
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2778 on: June 21, 2020, 10:48:27 AM »

Biden should pick Demings and get it over with, some people arent that fond of Kamala Harris since she dropped out her bid for Prez.

Abrams is viable for SOS or HUD with Urban League

Usually I don't respond seriously to posts like these, but anyway: How is Abrams viable for SoS or even HUD? She has 0 (zero!) credentials with for said positions. Stop pretending Biden fills cabinet posts with only 2020 contenders and other famous candidates from 2018. He will pick 2-3 of them and the rest gets filled with experts who are capable of cleaning up the mess the current Admin is leaving behind.

Abrams should run 4 gov in 2022 again. She could have gone for senate his year, but declined.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2779 on: June 21, 2020, 10:58:15 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2020, 12:53:46 PM by ATTACK AND DETHRONE GOD »

You’re usually right in your assessments and I generally agree with you, but this ain’t it. Her endorsements have gone to a slew of progressive candidates (Booker, Bowman, Eastman, Stephen Smith) but she has also endorsed candidates on the more moderate side of things plenty of times. Her organization is about coalition building. I also think it’s strange that she endorsed Hick but I’m not going to act like this is a knock against her progressive bonafides because she’s been endorsing plenty of candidates who align with her values. I think she might’ve endorsed Hick from an electability POV, as polls have shown him crushing Gardner so he seems like the safest bet to flip that seat. This doesn’t bother me and it doesn’t undo everything else she’s done for progressives both before and after her run for POTUS. One bad endorsement does not a snake make.

The problem with this is that you're operating under the assumption that Hickenlooper is a moderate. Hickenlooper is a Blue Dog. He's definitely on the moderate side of the economy question, and his climate record as governor is outright conservative. Colorado isn't a purple state anymore - it's got a decidedly blue tint to it now, and we can do better than someone like Hickenlooper there.

My issue isn't that she endorsed Hickenlooper, but the timing of the endorsement. If she endorsed earlier like Harris did, I'd be fine with it. I'd be a bit disappointed, but I wouldn't be angry. It's different than Jeff Merkley endorsing the DSCC slate or Kamala Harris backing her. It's different from Bernie staying out. She openly attempted to paint Hickenlooper as the progressive candidate despite his actual conservative positions. You know it's bad when her own supporters are dragging her for it.

Her putting her thumb on the scale just as Romanoff is starting to gain steam and traction is what pissed me off. This isn't, say, Yang or Tulsi deciding to endorse Biden over Bernie after Super Tuesday. Sure, Bernie was more aligned with them, but the guy's campaign was dead in the water. Romanoff probably won't win, and a Warren endorsement wouldn't have closed the gap between them. But the momentum is undeniably heavily in Romanoff's direction right now, and a Warren endorsement would have brought a lot of enthusiasm towards his campaign. Her endorsement, to say the very least, stifles that momentum. At best, it's a misjudgment of the race, and at worst it's a calculated political move to shut down a progressive challenger to a conservative Democrat in a blue state. With the timing of the endorsement, I'm more inclined to believe it's the latter.

One endorsement does not make a snake, but this endorsement is part of a greater pattern. Going along with her team's dubious accusations of sexism, staying in for Super Tuesday, this... some of that might be exaggerated, but all that shows that Elizabeth Warren is more interested in being a "player in the game" than pushing a progressive agenda. We don't need another Barack Obama who will use us to get elected and sell us down the river when they get in power. We need someone who we can trust to fight for us.

And as sad as it is, Elizabeth Warren has broken that trust with me.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2780 on: June 21, 2020, 11:10:11 AM »

The KHive is extremely toxic. They deserve no support - zero.

"A couple people are nasty on Twitter so we're not gonna pick you, sorry Kamala."
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2781 on: June 21, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »

I know it seems unlikely now, but if Biden picks Harris, he will find a way to lose. If he picks Duckworth, I'd say he's almost guaranteed to win. Anyone else doesn't really mean as much.

I say this not because the picks are the deciding factor one way or another, but because of what they signal in terms of Biden's seriousness, strategic thinking, intended message, concern for base vs broader electorate, and willingness to learn from Clinton's mistakes and unify.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2782 on: June 21, 2020, 11:27:33 AM »

I know it seems unlikely now, but if Biden picks Harris, he will find a way to lose. If he picks Duckworth, I'd say he's almost guaranteed to win. Anyone else doesn't really mean as much.

I say this not because the picks are the deciding factor one way or another, but because of what they signal in terms of Biden's seriousness, strategic thinking, intended message, concern for base vs broader electorate, and willingness to learn from Clinton's mistakes and unify.

This makes no sense. Harris has been out there the past 3 weeks trying to do work on what's happening our country right now. With all due respect, Duckworth hasn't. How is Harris not serious, strategic, or having a concern for a broad electorate? Harris has always appealed to a pretty large swath of the electorate.

It's not like super progressives are gonna fall over and bow down for a Tammy Duckworth pick. If anything, that's less unifying to that base than picking Harris.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2783 on: June 21, 2020, 11:31:27 AM »

This makes no sense. Harris has been out there the past 3 weeks trying to do work on what's happening our country right now. With all due respect, Duckworth hasn't. How is Harris not serious, strategic, or having a concern for a broad electorate? Harris has always appealed to a pretty large swath of the electorate.

It's not like super progressives are gonna fall over and bow down for a Tammy Duckworth pick. If anything, that's less unifying to that base than picking Harris.

Harris has not had wide appeal, please don't tell me this is not a giant caution sign.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/compare.php?year=2010&fips=6&f=0&off=0&elect=0&type=state&all=1
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #2784 on: June 21, 2020, 11:41:35 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2020, 11:44:57 AM by Da2017 »

No the only that could hurt is Susan Rice. If you look closely she has easily exploitable baggage. Yes she has solid foreign policy credentials, but Biden does not need that.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2785 on: June 21, 2020, 11:41:38 AM »

Obviously Duckworth is my preferred VP, but it would be quite hyperbolic to say "he will find a way to lose" if he picks Harris or anyone else really, especially considering the kind of lead he is sitting on and how that lead has been unchanged for the past year.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2786 on: June 21, 2020, 11:49:59 AM »

"A couple people are nasty on Twitter so we're not gonna pick you, sorry Kamala."
If he were in a position to be pegged Would you give Bernie the same benefit? Honest question. I would not. I am with Elizabeth and Hillary on this one. You are responsible for creating a culture around you, and those two groups are uniquely bad
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2787 on: June 21, 2020, 12:20:03 PM »

I understand that the veepstakes are fun and all, but people are once again vastly overestimating how influential Biden's pick regarding the election. At the end of the day this is a referendum about Trump and Biden choosin Harris, Demmings, Warren, or Duckworth, won't change that.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2788 on: June 21, 2020, 12:25:14 PM »

Harris has not had wide appeal, please don't tell me this is not a giant caution sign.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/compare.php?year=2010&fips=6&f=0&off=0&elect=0&type=state&all=1
This is a dumb metric. Using the results of the 2010 election makes no sense. 2010 was a GOP wave year nationally and Kamala was not well-known statewide in California at that point. Why not use the 2014 election results? (Also, "she ran behind Jerry Brown" is just an excuse).

Furthermore, she wouldn't have won her Senate election in such a convincing manner if she didn't have wide appeal. You guys just hate Kamala and can't give her credit for anything.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2789 on: June 21, 2020, 12:27:45 PM »

If he were in a position to be pegged Would you give Bernie the same benefit? Honest question. I would not. I am with Elizabeth and Hillary on this one. You are responsible for creating a culture around you, and those two groups are uniquely bad
I've seen a few Biden supporters be toxic and annoying towards progressives and Bernie supporters. Should Biden not have gotten the nomination?

Just say that you hate Kamala and go. Stop beating around the bush.

*writes down names*
*closes book*
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2790 on: June 21, 2020, 12:38:56 PM »

This is a dumb metric. Using the results of the 2010 election makes no sense. 2010 was a GOP wave year nationally and Kamala was not well-known statewide in California at that point. Why not use the 2014 election results? (Also, "she ran behind Jerry Brown" is just an excuse).

Furthermore, she wouldn't have won her Senate election in such a convincing manner if she didn't have wide appeal. You guys just hate Kamala and can't give her credit for anything.

You didn’t even click on that link! It showed how much WORSE than the rest of the Dems she did. Like 10% and 1 million votes worse! She faced a Democrat in 2016
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2791 on: June 21, 2020, 12:42:14 PM »

She won her Senate race against another Democrat who was a total joke of a candidate. The 2010 wave also missed California, since Republicans didn't pick up any seats in Congress or the state legislature. Yes, she was facing a very good opponent in Steve Cooley, but her performance was by far the worst of any statewide Democrat that year. Biden could definitely do worse than her, but she's definitely not an electoral juggernaut.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2792 on: June 21, 2020, 12:49:32 PM »

You didn’t even click on that link! It showed how much WORSE than the rest of the Dems she did. Like 10% and 1 million votes worse! She faced a Democrat in 2016
It doesn't matter that she ran against a Democrat in 2016. If she didn't have wide appeal as you claimed, she would have lost.

Also, yes, she did the worse out of all those statewide Dems. However, that's not due to a lack of wide appeal.

Here's the reason why her race was so close:
The fact that the race is this tight, strategists say, is, in large part, thanks to Cooley’s unconventional profile. Cooley has broken with his party to criticize California’s three-strikes rule, which mandates long prison sentences for any criminal convicted of a third felony. Unlike gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman and Senate candidate Carly Fiorina — both wealthy political newcomers who lost by wide margins — Cooley had a long, largely popular record to run on.

Despite his party affiliation, Cooley has a base of support in populous Los Angeles, where he currently trails by just under 300,000 votes, according to the secretary of state’s website. That’s less than half the huge deficit Republicans faced there in the Senate and gubernatorial races.

“He’s someone who has served in public office. He’s someone who had more of a base in that area,” said Chuck Idelson, a spokesman for the Democrat-friendly California Nurses Association. “If you look at Whitman and Fiorina, they were both pretty damaged by their lack of experience, by their lack of record.”

SOURCE: https://www.politico.com/story/2010/11/californias-high-stakes-ag-race-045300
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2793 on: June 21, 2020, 12:54:23 PM »

She won her Senate race against another Democrat who was a total joke of a candidate. The 2010 wave also missed California, since Republicans didn't pick up any seats in Congress or the state legislature. Yes, she was facing a very good opponent in Steve Cooley, but her performance was by far the worst of any statewide Democrat that year. Biden could definitely do worse than her, but she's definitely not an electoral juggernaut.
She won the jungle primary by a very convincing margin. Also, she won all but 5 counties in the primary. Additionally, even if Loretta Sanchez was a joke (she was), if Kamala was widely hated (as Devils30 is claiming) then the race would have been much closer than it was. Simple.

Also, look at my previous post as to why her 2010 AG race was so close.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2794 on: June 21, 2020, 01:05:06 PM »

Again, for Biden the question is "is this my BEST option?"

To me, Harris appeals a lot to the urban, highly educated crowd that chose Warren in the primary but ultimately was swamped by regular suburbanites and minorities. This crowd sees America in the lens of sexism and identity and not in class based politics.

Demings, Duckworth and even Whitmer all would have much broader appeal.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2795 on: June 21, 2020, 01:38:38 PM »

To me, Harris appeals a lot to the urban, highly educated crowd that chose Warren in the primary but ultimately was swamped by regular suburbanites and minorities. This crowd sees America in the lens of sexism and identity and not in class based politics.

To WHOM does Demings have greater appeal than Harris?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2796 on: June 21, 2020, 01:40:51 PM »

Harris haters.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2797 on: June 21, 2020, 01:47:28 PM »

Harris haters.

You mean leftists who call Kamala a cop? Yeah, they’ll love *checks notes* the former Orlando police chief.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2798 on: June 21, 2020, 01:53:37 PM »

Harris haters.

You mean leftists who call Kamala a cop? Yeah, they’ll love *checks notes* the former Orlando police chief.

They hate Warren even more, so don't try to explain logically their preferences.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2799 on: June 21, 2020, 02:48:46 PM »

I've seen a few Biden supporters be toxic and annoying towards progressives and Bernie supporters. Should Biden not have gotten the nomination?

Just say that you hate Kamala and go. Stop beating around the bush.

*writes down names*
*closes book*
I’ve been very clear that I don’t Like her, but I also think it true that she has a unique cult Around her, comparable only to Trump and Bernie. I base that on my experiences and those of my friends. That’s one of the reasons I don’t like her. Not the other way around
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 [112] 113 114 115 116 117 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies