Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:23:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362681 times)
politics_king
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2575 on: June 16, 2020, 09:45:19 PM »

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1273004134044782592

This article basically sort of corroborate something from the Politico article that claimed Klobuchar's chances of becoming VP had collapsed: that despite being white Warren would likely get the least backlash thanks in part to a fair number of Black activists and voters who really like her policies that they believe would be quite beneficial for the Black community at large. It also helps that unlike Harris or Demings, Warren hasn't been involved in a profession of criminal justice.

It also lists a few potential drawbacks: her age and ideology. Plus the fact that Harris is undeniably the frontrunner at this point.

This.

Warren has been thinking about how we rebuild the pillars of our society from the ground up - rather than how to make piecemeal changes - for her entire career. When it comes to economic policy that takes into account individual communities' needs instead of just the broad 'rising tide'-type policies, she has bold ideas that'll specifically help the Black community. When it comes to police reform & public safety, she's got a plan for that. When it comes to systemic racism, she's got a plan for that.

This isn't to say that other candidates who happen to be of color aren't qualified, but Warren is head-&-shoulders above them in terms of policy, guts, know-how, etc., & I've truly come to believe that she'd be the best VP (& future President) for the Black community all across this country. I think a number of other candidates are qualified, & would make history, but I'm not fully sold on the idea that they'd fight for the change we need to see, & while I can't speak for the Black community as a whole, I know my Black friends prefer a white woman who's all for bringing about structural change to a Black woman who might not be able to.

In terms of appeal to Black voters, she not only has the policy, the brains, & the ability to hammer out solutions, but she also understands that she can always learn more. She acknowledges when she's wrong & she makes efforts to fix her mistakes based on actually listening to the people she's wronged. She doesn't just crack open a book & say "statistically, this should work;" she turns to the downtrodden & says "tell me what you need," then she listens & she figures out how to make it happen. That ability to be wrong, to listen, & to reach out to continue educating herself is what puts her above not just the other VP contenders, but most politicians in this country too.

Oh yeah, & the party rank-&-file still wants her 2-to-1.

I wouldn't be upset what-so-ever if Elizabeth Warren is picked for the VP slot. I don't think she will, but if she isn't, then Biden has to choose her for Secretary of the Treasury. Wall Street would go nuts, but we need someone who's really going to shake-up the system.

It would cost Ds a senate seat they can't afford to lose. Baker would appoint a Susan Collins 2.0

No. This talking point needs to die already. What part of "THE DEMOCRATS HAVE A SUPERMAJORITY IN THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE LEGISLATURE AND WILL FORCE BAKER TO APPOINT A DEMOCRAT IF/WHEN BIDEN PICKS WARREN!" do y'all not understand?

As long as the Mass. State Legislature picks Pressley or Markey/Kennedy I'm all for it.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2576 on: June 16, 2020, 10:08:08 PM »

This article basically sort of corroborate something from the Politico article that claimed Klobuchar's chances of becoming VP had collapsed: that despite being white Warren would likely get the least backlash thanks in part to a fair number of Black activists and voters who really like her policies that they believe would be quite beneficial for the Black community at large. It also helps that unlike Harris or Demings, Warren hasn't been involved in a profession of criminal justice.

It also lists a few potential drawbacks: her age and ideology. Plus the fact that Harris is undeniably the frontrunner at this point.

This.

Warren has been thinking about how we rebuild the pillars of our society from the ground up - rather than how to make piecemeal changes - for her entire career. When it comes to economic policy that takes into account individual communities' needs instead of just the broad 'rising tide'-type policies, she has bold ideas that'll specifically help the Black community. When it comes to police reform & public safety, she's got a plan for that. When it comes to systemic racism, she's got a plan for that.

This isn't to say that other candidates who happen to be of color aren't qualified, but Warren is head-&-shoulders above them in terms of policy, guts, know-how, etc., & I've truly come to believe that she'd be the best VP (& future President) for the Black community all across this country. I think a number of other candidates are qualified, & would make history, but I'm not fully sold on the idea that they'd fight for the change we need to see, & while I can't speak for the Black community as a whole, I know my Black friends prefer a white woman who's all for bringing about structural change to a Black woman who might not be able to.

In terms of appeal to Black voters, she not only has the policy, the brains, & the ability to hammer out solutions, but she also understands that she can always learn more. She acknowledges when she's wrong & she makes efforts to fix her mistakes based on actually listening to the people she's wronged. She doesn't just crack open a book & say "statistically, this should work;" she turns to the downtrodden & says "tell me what you need," then she listens & she figures out how to make it happen. That ability to be wrong, to listen, & to reach out to continue educating herself is what puts her above not just the other VP contenders, but most politicians in this country too.

I wouldn't be upset what-so-ever if Elizabeth Warren is picked for the VP slot. I don't think she will, but if she isn't, then Biden has to choose her for Secretary of the Treasury. Wall Street would go nuts, but we need someone who's really going to shake-up the system.

It would cost Ds a senate seat they can't afford to lose. Baker would appoint a Susan Collins 2.0

Ok, I hate when people say this. But the risk is worth the reward. People think that the Senate is going to go 50-50 after this, then that's not thinking correctly. If the Dems win back the Senate, they're going to win more than just 4 seats. It'll be a few and sure Baker makes an appointment, Pressley is going to run against that person and win easily. If Joe wants to pick Warren, do it. I suspect that the Democrats can win more than just 4 seats, I think Montana will go to Bullock, Ernst looks like she's on the way out in Iowa, Doug Jones can certainly retain his seat, the two seats in Georgia are toss-up's and depending who Kansas nominates they could win that seat too.

For the last time, there will NOT be a Republican in that seat at any point in time.  Baker would appoint a Democrat because the MA legislature will make him do so.  I don't know how many times myself and other posters have to point that out for it to sink in.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2577 on: June 16, 2020, 10:19:27 PM »

This.

Ok, I hate when people say this. But the risk is worth the reward. People think that the Senate is going to go 50-50 after this, then that's not thinking correctly. If the Dems win back the Senate, they're going to win more than just 4 seats. It'll be a few and sure Baker makes an appointment, Pressley is going to run against that person and win easily. If Joe wants to pick Warren, do it. I suspect that the Democrats can win more than just 4 seats, I think Montana will go to Bullock, Ernst looks like she's on the way out in Iowa, Doug Jones can certainly retain his seat, the two seats in Georgia are toss-up's and depending who Kansas nominates they could win that seat too.

For the last time, there will NOT be a Republican in that seat at any point in time.  Baker would appoint a Democrat because the MA legislature will make him do so.  I don't know how many times myself and other posters have to point that out for it to sink in.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #2578 on: June 16, 2020, 10:20:46 PM »

The actual voting results don't suggest Warren has appeal to black voters. Look at her numbers in rural black counties throughout the south. This is nothing more than intellectuals saying Warren is acceptable to black voters merely because she is part of their club. Klobuchar makes little sense as well now but someone like Whitmer might not be a problem with any Democratic constituency.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #2579 on: June 16, 2020, 11:55:32 PM »

I don't understand Warren as a VP pick. Look at how she did in the primary and I understand the demographics of places like Atlas and Twitter. This makes me comes to the conclusion that the only thing Warren will add to the ticket is an increase in numbers among college-educated whites in already liberal and democratic areas.

Other than that she a much riskier bet compared to Harris or even Demmings for that matter. Also please do not try to reply to whitesplain to me how Harris and Demmings are cops and Warren is actually the right pick for black voters because she has an array of plans and ideas that will help them. If that's true why waste her efforts as VP and not just stay in the Senate? 
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #2580 on: June 17, 2020, 09:04:22 AM »

I don't understand Warren as a VP pick. Look at how she did in the primary and I understand the demographics of places like Atlas and Twitter. This makes me comes to the conclusion that the only thing Warren will add to the ticket is an increase in numbers among college-educated whites in already liberal and democratic areas.

Other than that she a much riskier bet compared to Harris or even Demmings for that matter. Also please do not try to reply to whitesplain to me how Harris and Demmings are cops and Warren is actually the right pick for black voters because she has an array of plans and ideas that will help them. If that's true why waste her efforts as VP and not just stay in the Senate? 
Well... as a black male under the age of 30 ( aka the exact demographic Biden struggles the most with) I’ll just blacksplain to you instead.

Harris and Demings are popular among the black voters who are a) the ones who gave him the nomination over the concerns for younger voters and b) are already extremely likely to turn out to vote and vote for him.

Demings is literally a cop, and wrong for the moment. Harris hasn’t been very popular with my age group in the past, but she may be making headway with her criminal justice work recently. I’d be okay with her as VP. I just hope she faces an open primary in 2024 and we don’t just hand her the nod like we did with Hillary.

But it’s a little unfair to say “look at how [Warren] did in the primary” as a reason for why she shouldn’t be picked. Harris did exponentially worse and she’s still a front runner. Biden never got more than 1% of the vote in the two times he ran before this year and yet he was a great VP.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2581 on: June 17, 2020, 09:29:00 AM »

Fair point, but if you make that conclusion then wouldn't Harris pull in similar people?
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #2582 on: June 17, 2020, 09:32:34 AM »

Well... as a black male under the age of 30 ( aka the exact demographic Biden struggles the most with) I’ll just blacksplain to you instead.

Harris and Demings are popular among the black voters who are a) the ones who gave him the nomination over the concerns for younger voters and b) are already extremely likely to turn out to vote and vote for him.

Demings is literally a cop, and wrong for the moment. Harris hasn’t been very popular with my age group in the past, but she may be making headway with her criminal justice work recently. I’d be okay with her as VP. I just hope she faces an open primary in 2024 and we don’t just hand her the nod like we did with Hillary.

But it’s a little unfair to say “look at how [Warren] did in the primary” as a reason for why she shouldn’t be picked. Harris did exponentially worse and she’s still a front runner. Biden never got more than 1% of the vote in the two times he ran before this year and yet he was a great VP.

I don't know about that. Maybe because I'm gay and most of my social group is made up of black women that makes me bias but many of them liked Harris since the 1st debate.  

Now my brother and his friends do not like Harris and constantly calls her Copmala. The thing about that is that brother and his friends like to follow people like Tariq Nasheed and Dr. Umar Johnson. If you are saying that Biden show decides his VP by trying to appeal to them then we will be forever. They don't like Harris, Demmings, Bottoms, Rice, Sewell, Abrams, Fudge, Turner, and they probably will only be satisfied if Beyonce herself was the VP.  
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2583 on: June 17, 2020, 10:14:12 AM »

Realistically, and objectively, all signs point (and have pointed for a while) to Harris
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2584 on: June 17, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2020, 10:44:02 AM by Charles Booker »

Realistically, and objectively, all signs point (and have pointed for a while) to Harris

No, Warren is gonna be Veep, Ayanna Pressley just made a series of endorsements and Warren is vying for Veep; consequently,  you cant say Warren is too old, because Hilary, whom ran for Prez says hi, and just as old as Warren🤩🤩🤩👍👍👍

Harris says she wanted to be Prez not Veep and prefers Senate😍😍😍
https://mobile.twitter.com/ayannapressley/status/1273252989130739715?s=21

Pressley just endorsed Booker for Senate
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2585 on: June 17, 2020, 10:57:50 AM »

I don't know about that. Maybe because I'm gay and most of my social group is made up of black women that makes me bias but many of them liked Harris since the 1st debate. 

Now my brother and his friends do not like Harris and constantly calls her Copmala. The thing about that is that brother and his friends like to follow people like Tariq Nasheed and Dr. Umar Johnson. If you are saying that Biden show decides his VP by trying to appeal to them then we will be forever. They don't like Harris, Demmings, Bottoms, Rice, Sewell, Abrams, Fudge, Turner, and they probably will only be satisfied if Beyonce herself was the VP. 
I'm a young Black man as well and Buckhead is right. There is pretty much NO Democrat that will energize a significant portion of young Black voters (especially if we're talking about young Black male voters).

Many simply think that "both sides are the same", "the Democrats are phony", "the Democrats only care about the LGBT & Hispanics not Black people", "the Democrats hate straight Black men", etc. They are not going to show up regardless.

Also, there is no VP pick that will be "perfect" and will "energize" every part of the Democratic base. I think that Kamala Harris would do well with most of the Democratic base and not any significant harm.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #2586 on: June 17, 2020, 11:06:51 AM »

This.

No. This talking point needs to die already. What part of "THE DEMOCRATS HAVE A SUPERMAJORITY IN THE MASSACHUSETTS STATE LEGISLATURE AND WILL FORCE BAKER TO APPOINT A DEMOCRAT IF/WHEN BIDEN PICKS WARREN!" do y'all not understand?

Even if they didn’t Susan Collins 2.0 isn’t winning a special in a deep blue state unless Martha Coakley gets nominated.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2587 on: June 17, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »

This.

Even if they didn’t Susan Collins 2.0 isn’t winning a special in a deep blue state unless Martha Coakley gets nominated.

Coakley: Just give me one more chance. Please. Just one more chance & you'll see. I'll win. You'll all see!

MA Dems: sigh fiiiiiine.

Boston Globe headline, circa Apr. 2020: BAKER DEFEATS COAKLEY AGAIN, HEADED TO WASHINGTON THRU JAN. '25
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2588 on: June 17, 2020, 11:45:48 AM »

Raimondo dodges the question on whether she’s being vetted:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/17/metro/raimondo-vp-word-is-shes-bidens-list/

During a press conference on Monday, Raimondo declined to comment on whether she has spoken to Biden’s campaign, but said, “I am 150 percent focused on doing my job in Rhode Island, and spending no time on politics.”

“I have the job I want, which is being governor of Rhode Island,” she said.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #2589 on: June 17, 2020, 05:28:53 PM »

VP polls don't mean that much but here you guys go. Fight!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #2590 on: June 17, 2020, 05:35:18 PM »

That tweet is so stupid - "Chunk of Democrats are going to be upset when Harris is the VP"

Harris has 40%. Warren has 43%. Virtually the same. Not to mention, just b/c someone isn't their 1st or 2nd pick doesn't mean they wouldn't be happy with them.
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #2591 on: June 17, 2020, 07:19:26 PM »

CBS has a story on LBR, who is on the vetting team. Not much but they do mention she is close with Val.
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2592 on: June 17, 2020, 08:22:08 PM »

I’m actually fine with Harris. I never really saw the charisma people always claims she has, but I respect her skills on the debate stage, the stump, and her work on CJ reform these last few weeks.

Again, my only complaint is that I don’t want her running in 2024 as the de-facto incumbent like Gore & Hillary. We’ll arguably not have had a truly competitive primary in 16 years by that time.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2593 on: June 17, 2020, 09:01:29 PM »

I’m actually fine with Harris. I never really saw the charisma people always claims she has, but I respect her skills on the debate stage, the stump, and her work on CJ reform these last few weeks.

Again, my only complaint is that I don’t want her running in 2024 as the de-facto incumbent like Gore & Hillary. We’ll arguably not have had a truly competitive primary in 16 years by that time.

Eh I don't really care about that, I just want a good, qualified liberal President and Harris gets me that.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2594 on: June 17, 2020, 09:15:37 PM »

Eh I don't really care about that, I just want a good, qualified liberal President and Harris gets me that.

Competitive primaries tend to promote stronger candidates. Harris needs to be elected to be president (though being VP will probably help her with this - to an extent - in a GE, as well as winning her the primary).
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2595 on: June 17, 2020, 10:57:10 PM »

Hillary likely would’ve been a good, qualified liberal President. That doesn’t mean she was a good or the best candidate to lead the ticket. Biden & Bernie blocked possibly better candidates this year, like Hillary did in ‘16 and Gore did in ‘00.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2596 on: June 17, 2020, 11:04:32 PM »

Hillary likely would’ve been a good, qualified liberal President. That doesn’t mean she was a good or the best candidate to lead the ticket. Biden & Bernie blocked possibly better candidates this year, like Hillary did in ‘16 and Gore did in ‘00.

Considering the all-but-dead state that the eventual nominee's campaign was in after IA & NH, it simply can't be argued that 2020 wasn't "a truly competitive primary."
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2597 on: June 17, 2020, 11:07:42 PM »

Considering the all-but-dead state that the eventual nominee's campaign was in after IA & NH, it simply can't be argued that 2020 wasn't "a truly competitive primary."

Normally that would be true, but in this case, it is both true that Biden was near dead after IA and NH and also true that ultimately the primary wasn't very competitive.  It just speaks to the craziness of how things played out and how effectively Biden was able to consolidate moderates (aided by folks dropping out and endorsing him ahead of Super Tuesday).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2598 on: June 17, 2020, 11:12:29 PM »

Normally that would be true, but in this case, it is both true that Biden was near dead after IA and NH and also true that ultimately the primary wasn't very competitive.  It just speaks to the craziness of how things played out and how effectively Biden was able to consolidate moderates (aided by folks dropping out and endorsing him ahead of Super Tuesday).

You're right, yes, but by that logic, 2004 wasn't "a truly competitive primary" even though it definitely was: things played out to the effect that Kerry was able to consolidate (aided by folks dropping out & endorsing him) & eventually win most of the states, sure, but going into that contest, it wasn't a coronation a-la 2000 or 2016. Just like 2020 wasn't a coronation a-la 2000 or 2016.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #2599 on: June 17, 2020, 11:13:27 PM »

Normally that would be true, but in this case, it is both true that Biden was near dead after IA and NH and also true that ultimately the primary wasn't very competitive.  It just speaks to the craziness of how things played out and how effectively Biden was able to consolidate moderates (aided by folks dropping out and endorsing him ahead of Super Tuesday).

You're right, yes, but by that logic, 2004 wasn't "a truly competitive primary" even though it definitely was: things played out to the effect that Kerry was able to consolidate (aided by folks dropping out & endorsing him) & eventually win most of the states, sure, but going into that contest, it wasn't a coronation a-la 2000 or 2016. Just like 2020 wasn't a coronation a-la 2000 or 2016.

I actually don't consider 2004 a truly competitive primary.  I don't know how it would be, really.

How it looks going into it isn't necessarily indicative of how it will turn out.  I think you're getting at the fact that both 2020 and 2004 looked competitive going in...ultimately, however, they weren't in the end.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 [104] 105 106 107 108 109 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies