Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:15:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 366402 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: May 29, 2020, 11:14:59 PM »

Mayor Bottoms appears to be getting the attention of the Biden team.

"In awe" in a good way?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1976 on: May 29, 2020, 11:16:52 PM »
« Edited: May 29, 2020, 11:19:58 PM by New Frontier »

Why is the list of black women so short? Why not look at someone like Tish James, Who has won a state wide election, and is a former public defender? There are plenty of black women Who were not corrupt prosecutors . And don’t give me that “nobody knows them“ Argument. This election is a referendum between decency and chaos. The majority of voters don’t even watch the primary anyway. They’re not gonna be overly familiar with whoever he selects, and that will not make a difference. Well will make amThis selection is a referendum between decency and chaos. Good majority of voters don’t even watch the primary anyway. They’re not going to be overly familiar with whoever he pigs in the beginning. And that confusion is not going to matter. What is going to matter is what the media digs up on the record a month, two months into the Campaign. And that’s where Harris will unravel. Why settle for her?

State-level elected officials below Governor are simply never considered for VP, ever.

Given that Biden clearly wants a Veep with at least some experience, he's only looking at candidates who are in the House, Senate or have held a cabinet position

There are still plenty of black women within that category who we've never or rarely heard touted.
Which ones?

Sticking to candidates younger than Biden and not counting House members: Carol Moseley-Braun, Alexis Herman, Loretta Lynch and Lisa Jackson don't seem to have been mentioned at all.
Carol Moseley-Braun & Alexis Herman are too old (both in their 70s) and have been out of the political spotlight for 2 decades. It would be very random for Joe to pick either of them.

Loretta Lynch is not a politician and she would be useless as VP because she has no real understanding of the Senate/Congress.

Lisa P. Jackson is not a bad pick theoretically. However, she was just the EPA Director during Obama's first term and hardly anyone on a national level knows her. That's just not enough qualifications. Biden will be in his late 70s/early 80s and potentially thrusting a former EPA Director (with no other federal experience) into the Oval Office is not necessarily the best idea.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #1977 on: May 29, 2020, 11:19:31 PM »

Mayor of Atlanta looking strong tonight.  Folks generally don't consider mayoral experience to be as qualifying as congressman/senator/governor, but we live in interesting times. 

Beautiful speech. Not sure if she has the experience to be a veep, but she would be a great running mate.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1978 on: May 29, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »

Bottoms was really impressive tonight though I doubt she'll get the VP slot. Future GA governor for sure.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1979 on: May 29, 2020, 11:23:26 PM »

"In awe" in a good way?

Certainly seems so.  She is displaying tremendous leadership during a very difficult time and her message is one that would seem to resonate well with everyone, I'd think.  There is such a void of leadership in this country that it creates an opportunity for someone like Bottoms.  We don't normally consider mayors as VP's or Presidents, but there is certainly an argument to be made there.  And with the country currently overcome by outbreak of disease, civil distress and potentially a financial disaster, I think a lot of people are craving and desiring leadership qualities above other characteristics we typically look for in Presidents (federal experience, etc.).
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1980 on: May 30, 2020, 02:26:33 AM »

"In awe" in a good way?

Certainly seems so.  She is displaying tremendous leadership during a very difficult time and her message is one that would seem to resonate well with everyone, I'd think.  There is such a void of leadership in this country that it creates an opportunity for someone like Bottoms.  We don't normally consider mayors as VP's or Presidents, but there is certainly an argument to be made there.  And with the country currently overcome by outbreak of disease, civil distress and potentially a financial disaster, I think a lot of people are craving and desiring leadership qualities above other characteristics we typically look for in Presidents (federal experience, etc.).

YEP! I'm all in on Mayor Bottoms, honestly.
JG

« Reply #1981 on: May 30, 2020, 07:47:21 AM »

"In awe" in a good way?

I'm not very familiar with her, but, unfortunately, wouldn't her name in itself reduce her chance of  being on the ticket. I don't want to know how Trump and the media would react to a Biden-Bottoms ticket.
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1982 on: May 30, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »

woodley park

« Reply #1983 on: May 30, 2020, 10:20:37 AM »

After all these statements, Biden is going to have to put up or shut up. If he doesn't choose a woman of color at this point, it will be disappointing. I frankly thing the stars have aligned for Val Demings and I'll be bummed if she doesn't pick her.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1984 on: May 30, 2020, 10:34:36 AM »

After all these statements, Biden is going to have to put up or shut up. If he doesn't choose a woman of color at this point, it will be disappointing. I frankly thing the stars have aligned for Val Demings and I'll be bummed if she doesn't pick her.

Yesterday I would have said it would be either Demings or Harris, but after last night I think Keisha Lance Bottoms is firmly in the mix.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1985 on: May 30, 2020, 10:42:01 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2020, 10:46:13 AM by President Johnson »

Wow, that was really impressive. I think she actually would be vice presidential material. Running a major city isn't small potatoes. Mayors are, just like a president, executives who need to run things and get stuff done. This is an important asset and I don't see why a congressman or even senator should be that much more qualified. Legislative experience is important, but exective is as well.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1986 on: May 30, 2020, 11:08:00 AM »

Yesterday I would have said it would be either Demings or Harris, but after last night I think Keisha Lance Bottoms is firmly in the mix.

"Biden Bottoms" is not going to be a ticket.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1987 on: May 30, 2020, 11:15:58 AM »
« Edited: May 30, 2020, 11:52:50 AM by lfromnj »

Wow, that was really impressive. I think she actually would be vice presidential material. Running a major city isn't small potatoes. Mayors are, just like a president, executives who need to run things and get stuff done. This is an important asset and I don't see why a congressman or even senator should be that much more qualified. Legislative experience is important, but exective is as well.
One thing about Atlanta. It's a major metropolitan area but it's not that big of a city itself . Only 500k people. Still gl to the mayor.Also obviously the mayor has a lot of speaking power over the metro area.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1988 on: May 30, 2020, 11:26:44 AM »

It will come down to either Kamala Harris or Val Demings.  As much as Biden and his team may admire Mayor Bottoms, the surname alone will put off any chance of her coming anywhere near the Oval Office.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1989 on: May 30, 2020, 11:29:21 AM »

He needs to slow down and give himself room to maneuver. There's always AG and the Supreme Court.
woodley park

« Reply #1990 on: May 30, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »

Sure, if he gets elected. But at this point he's made such a big deal out of choosing a black woman, it will look bad if he doesn't follow through.
He needs to slow down and give himself room to maneuver. There's always AG and the Supreme Court.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1991 on: May 30, 2020, 01:29:12 PM »

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1266527589784567817

She is very much correct but this is simply not the tone that Biden needs from his running mate. He should keep his options open, whether it is Harris, Demings, Whitmer or whoever.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #1992 on: May 30, 2020, 01:30:31 PM »

Demings has a more relatable life than Kamala, especially for folks without a college degree. Kamala's mom was feminist breast cancer scientist and her dad immigrated from Jamaica specifically for economics grad school in Berkeley. She got an activist-academic upbringing. Val Demings's mom was a housekeeper and her dad worked in orange groves in Jacksonville, Florida.

I can tell you at least where I grew up (Scranton, PA area), that second story is going to hit home for people, and not just black people. I remember moving from that area to a suburb of Philly and it being so weird that all my classmate's parents both had bachelor's degrees.

Some people are saying more or less "they're both cops". That's missing something. Demings has a credibility here that gives her wiggle room. You look at the Mayor Bottoms from Atlanta's remarks—they're tough, but she anchors them in her black experience, she earns trust because we all know she's been there herself. I don't know if people feel that way about Harris, or feel it as strongly, whether or not that's fair.

This is to say nothing about the fact Demings is from a real swing state! HRC lost Florida by only ~115k votes. She's not well known, but she'll obviously become well known and she's likable--she'll increase turnout.

Cards on the table, I'm a young white guy with a private university degree.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1993 on: May 30, 2020, 01:36:50 PM »

Demings has a more relatable life than Kamala, especially for folks without a college degree. Kamala's mom was feminist breast cancer scientist and her dad immigrated from Jamaica specifically for economics grad school in Berkeley. She got an activist-academic upbringing. Val Demings's mom was a housekeeper and her dad worked in orange groves in Jacksonville, Florida.

I can tell you at least where I grew up (Scranton, PA area), that second story is going to hit home for people, and not just black people. I remember moving from that area to a suburb of Philly and it being so weird that all my classmate's parents both had bachelor's degrees.

Some people are saying more or less "they're both cops". That's missing something. Demings has a credibility here that gives her wiggle room. You look at the Mayor Bottoms from Atlanta's remarks—they're tough, but she anchors them in her black experience, she earns trust because we all know she's been there herself. I don't know if people feel that way about Harris, or feel it as strongly, whether or not that's fair.

This is to say nothing about the fact Demings is from a real swing state! HRC lost Florida by only ~115k votes. She's not well known, but she'll obviously become well known and she's likable--she'll increase turnout.

Totally agree, she can mention not having an Ivy League degree, how her values are Scranton values (perfect with Biden). She would totally juice turnout in Duval, Orange, Seminole, Dade and Hillsborough as well. Biden should either do this or if not, go to someone like Whitmer in lieu of Amy.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #1994 on: May 30, 2020, 01:53:37 PM »

Totally agree, she can mention not having an Ivy League degree, how her values are Scranton values (perfect with Biden). She would totally juice turnout in Duval, Orange, Seminole, Dade and Hillsborough as well. Biden should either do this or if not, go to someone like Whitmer in lieu of Amy.

Yeah, the values alignment is big. You could have a beer with Biden and Demings.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1995 on: May 30, 2020, 02:19:29 PM »

You're not really acting in good faith here, though. If we wanna have a conversation about Harris vs. Demings, we can, but you're literally basically just saying 10 things that Demings has going for and ignoring anything that Harris may have going for her.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1996 on: May 30, 2020, 03:27:21 PM »

She has Willie Brown and excess political correctness going for her
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1997 on: May 30, 2020, 03:43:03 PM »

She has Willie Brown and excess political correctness going for her
Ignorance.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1998 on: May 30, 2020, 03:44:19 PM »

Val Demings is relatively unknown outside of the Orlando area. She's not going to help Biden win Florida and Biden doesn't need to win Florida.

I seriously don't know why you guys just like to say random things.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1999 on: May 30, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »

Val Demings is relatively unknown outside of the Orlando area. She's not going to help Biden win Florida and Biden doesn't need to win Florida.

I seriously don't know why you guys just like to say random things.

Not to mention that one recent Florida poll only had demings at like 3% on their VP selection, meaning she's clearly not known by Florida at large.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies