Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 01:25:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363742 times)
woodley park

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: May 22, 2020, 12:54:26 PM »

After Joe's comment today, you really have to think what Harris, Abrams, Lance Bottoms, Demings & Rice all think about this. You could see Harris & Abrams withdrawal there names, they have a future in this party. Lance Bottoms does too but she's been loyal to Joe, Demings could probably spin the gaffe and Susan Rice well they have a long standing relationship so I could see Joe going with familiar. But Joe is really going to shoot himself in the foot if he picks a white woman unless it's Elizabeth Warren, but even then, he just upset the black electorate.

If anyone knows Charlamagne tha God and his work on The Breakfast Club, for the past two years he's been preaching about making sure the Democratic candidate has a Black Agenda to help the community. That's been picked up by Angela Rye and other prominent media personalities pushing the narrative. If Joe really tanks it with the black communities voting bloc, he may need to go in the direction of picking a Latina for the VP slot. But he'd be committing political suicide picking Klobauchar or Whitmer, I have nothing against those two but that would be a mess if he does pick one of them.

I don't think what Biden said creates a moral quandary for any of these people. Especially considering that he is running against the champion of birtherism.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1651 on: May 22, 2020, 01:04:42 PM »

Val Demings and Rice and Abramd are being picked. If anything, Abrams is Cabinet level SOS, while Warren should be Veep.

Val Demings HUD SECRETARY, since Urban League needs AA females to run Housing and Affordable rent. Booker should be a great AG
politics_king
United States

« Reply #1652 on: May 22, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »

After Joe's comment today, you really have to think what Harris, Abrams, Lance Bottoms, Demings & Rice all think about this. You could see Harris & Abrams withdrawal there names, they have a future in this party. Lance Bottoms does too but she's been loyal to Joe, Demings could probably spin the gaffe and Susan Rice well they have a long standing relationship so I could see Joe going with familiar. But Joe is really going to shoot himself in the foot if he picks a white woman unless it's Elizabeth Warren, but even then, he just upset the black electorate.

If anyone knows Charlamagne tha God and his work on The Breakfast Club, for the past two years he's been preaching about making sure the Democratic candidate has a Black Agenda to help the community. That's been picked up by Angela Rye and other prominent media personalities pushing the narrative. If Joe really tanks it with the black communities voting bloc, he may need to go in the direction of picking a Latina for the VP slot. But he'd be committing political suicide picking Klobauchar or Whitmer, I have nothing against those two but that would be a mess if he does pick one of them.

I don't think what Biden said creates a moral quandary for any of these people. Especially considering that he is running against the champion of birtherism.

He needs to watch it with these gaffes. If I have big political aspirations, maybe I take a seat back, take a cabinet position if offered or seek other office. Abrams has big goals, Harris does too. Joe could easily do something so stupid to lose an election during a pandemic.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1653 on: May 22, 2020, 01:11:42 PM »

He needs to watch it with these gaffes. If I have big political aspirations, maybe I take a seat back, take a cabinet position if offered or seek other office. Abrams has big goals, Harris does too. Joe could easily do something so stupid to lose an election during a pandemic.

Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1654 on: May 22, 2020, 01:12:40 PM »

Great usage of Russ
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1655 on: May 22, 2020, 01:28:49 PM »

Warren will be the smartest pick, her move to endorse Greenfield, was a power play, since Ds were skeptical about Greenfield and she has made Dems alot better about IA. 4 competetive seats and 3 D incumbents. That's why Greenfield is tied with Ernst, not 10 pts behind
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1656 on: May 22, 2020, 01:34:07 PM »

Warren will be the smartest pick, her move to endorse Greenfield, was a power play, since Ds were skeptical about Greenfield and she has made Dems alot better about IA. 4 competetive seats and 3 D incumbents. That's why Greenfield is tied with Ernst, not 10 pts behind
Yeah, two 70+ year olds. That's really going to excite people! Give me a break!

For all the Democrats bragging about their Party being diverse, etc. picking a White Female would have really bad optics for Biden and the Party as a whole!
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #1657 on: May 22, 2020, 02:59:12 PM »

I would be excited to watch the trainwreck of whatever a Biden/Nina Turner ticket would look like, but we can all recognize that it'd be a catastrophe.

The number of people seriously considering ticket was baffling. Bernie would be 78 when he took office, and he's already had a heart attack. He would need a VP who could step up to the plate at a moment's notice.

So yeah, let's go for someone whose highest-held office is one term as Ohio state senator, a term that she didn't even serve fully.

Don't get me wrong, Turner is a talented politician and a real firebrand for the left. But the idea that she could be POTUS material in 2020 was baffling and completely out of touch.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1658 on: May 22, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »

Yeah, two 70+ year olds. That's really going to excite people! Give me a break!

For all the Democrats bragging about their Party being diverse, etc. picking a White Female would have really bad optics for Biden and the Party as a whole!

These takes are hilarious. The people who care most about this are the same people who voted for Warren and Bernie in the primary.
The Right Honourable Martin Brian Mulroney PC CC GOQ
laddicus finch

« Reply #1659 on: May 22, 2020, 04:11:58 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2020, 04:16:47 PM by laddicus finch »

I think Morris is spot on in his analysis. Biden is the moderate candidate, so it would be strategically better to pick someone who is going to either excite the progressive left, or juice part of the Democratic coalition to enhance excitement. If anyone dares suggest the Democrats are embracing extremism, just run videos of the Trump placard, Confederate flag, and assault rifle-toting white militias in the Midwest that are trying to intimidate local legislators. Extremism and the right wing are basically synonymous at this point. Enough said.

Is it that important though? Soft members of the 'progressive left' are most likely going to vote Biden regardless, and appeasing Bernie's more hardcore supporters will require more than a progressive Veep. Who would that even be? As far as I can tell, the #NeverBiden set of the left hates Warren too. Even those with mostly left-leaning records like Kirsten Gillibrand are considered centrists by this set. Ilhan Omar? Rashida Talib? Yeah, way to destroy your chances of winning moderate WASPs, chasing after the hardcore supporters of a candidate who got destroyed after Nevada.

What Biden needs, moderate or progressive, is someone competent. The guy is 77 and bordering on senility, people need confidence that the VP is ready to take over from him at a moment's notice.

What I'm trying to say is, just don't pick someone who is only famous for being a moderate, because you already have that. I'm not necessarily suggesting someone far left, and wouldn't support Omar or Tlaib as the choice. Ayanna Pressley, maybe. But something has to be done to shore up morale for the more progressively-minded wing of the coalition OR to fire up a slice of the Democratic coalition (young voters, black voters, female voters, etc.) Klobuchar will not do either of those things. I honestly don't understand why Klobuchar even bothered to run for president. Her platform was more about not doing things, and telling progressives why the things they wanted are impossible. She actively turns off progressive voters, she doesn't fire up female voters, especially not young female voters, and her polling with minority voters is weak. She appeals to white Midwesterners and thats about it. Coincidentally, thats one area where Biden is already strong. I don't think she does anything extra for the ticket that Biden already isn't doing.

Fair enough, I guess we have a disagreement on what Biden's biggest weakness is. I don't think it's his left flank, I think it's the fact that if he doesn't seem to know what planet he is on half the time. Klobuchar isn't an inspiring figure by any means, and she doesn't bring new people to the coalition. But she's competent, and that may be the biggest selling point after four years of Trump, and a consolation for the fact that her running mate doesn't inspire much confidence either.

I'm not totally sold on Klob though, for one MN is a close enough state that it could leave her senate seat vulnerable in a special election. There are others who could fit the description. Whitmer is one, but any governor joining the ticket at this moment (especially one who only got elected in 2018) will be received negatively, and possibly hurt the ticket in MI. Harris could be another. I don't think the running mate HAS to be a moderate though, if a progressive fits the description, then even better. I just can't think of any woman from the left wing who would deliver that. Warren is the best shot, but even she's a liability. Trump would love to bring up the whole Pocahantas thing day after day, which distracts from the fact that Warren is actually a very competent politician. The hardcore Bernie people seem to have abandoned her, too. Add to that the fact that she's 71, and you have a pretty weak shout for VP.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1660 on: May 22, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »

What exactly is wrong with having a Governor?? I think people would enjoy seeing someone competently do their job.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1661 on: May 22, 2020, 04:55:48 PM »

What exactly is wrong with having a Governor?? I think people would enjoy seeing someone competently do their job.

Optics are kinda not great since there's a pandemc.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1662 on: May 22, 2020, 04:57:17 PM »

It's fuel for near-constant Fox concern trolling about how the VP-nominee isn't doing enough to fight the coronavirus in their state, right before cutting to a Trump rally.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1663 on: May 22, 2020, 05:01:47 PM »

Biden says multiple black women being considered:

https://www.mediaite.com/news/joe-biden-not-so-subtly-shoots-down-klobuchar-running-mate-buzz-strongly-hints-at-black-vp/

“Well what I say to them is that I’m not acknowledging anybody who is being considered, but I guarantee you there are multiple black women being considered,” Biden replied, then repeated “Multiple.”

Biden also gave an extensive interview on Friday morning’s edition of Squawk Box...

When  anchor Becky Quick made mention of Senator Elizabeth Warren, “who’s been mentioned as a frequent potential running mate for you,” Biden let out a laugh at the reference,

Quick went on to ask an unrelated question about Klobuchar, and said as an aside that the Minnesota senator has “actually been asked to undergo the vetting process to be a potential running mate for you.”

Biden made a point of interrupting to say Yeah, I don’t know that, by the way.”
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1664 on: May 22, 2020, 05:02:06 PM »

Optics are kinda not great since there's a pandemc.

When was the last time a Governor ended up as the Democratic running-mate?

It was 1924, almost 96 years ago.

And since 1944, Democrats have always nominated a sitting Senator with just two exceptions (Shriver, although it should be noted the original nominee was a Senator, and Ferraro).
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1665 on: May 22, 2020, 05:22:06 PM »

I just don’t see it as a big deal if Whitmer goes back home, does rallies as duties permit if she is Biden’s top choice. It’s not a decision Biden should make based on 3 months...the impact is much longer. I’ll add, if there’s a second wave then there won’t be any rallies with the VP anywhere no matter who it is.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1666 on: May 22, 2020, 05:26:12 PM »

Just to compare running-mates from both parties by office held, starting 1900 (winners are in bold):

Democrats:

Former Vice President-Former Senator-State Senator-Governor-Former Assistant Secretary of the Navy-Governor-Senator-Representative-Former Secretary of Agriculture-Senator-Senator-Senator-Senator-Senator-Senator-Senator-Senator-Former Ambassador-Senator-Representative-Senator-Senator-Senator-Senator-Senator-Senator

Republicans:

Governor-Senator-Representative-Columbia University President-Former Vice President-Governor-Former Budget Director-Senator-Newspaper Publisher-Senator-Governor-Governor-Senator-Former UN Ambassador-Representative-Governor-Senator-Former CIA Director-Senator-Former HUD Secretary-Former Defense Secretary-Governor-Representative-Governor
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1667 on: May 22, 2020, 05:34:23 PM »

Alot of these candidates like Abrams, Grisham, Val Demings and even Cory Booker for AG arent just being vetted for Veep, they are also being vetted for Cabinet positions

Biden and Warren
SOS Abrams
AG Cory Booker
Secretary of Ed ML GRISHAM
Urban League and HUD Val Demings

Again Val Demings doesnt have qualifications to be Veep

Klobuchar and Harris probably stay in Senate

Warren will be an excellent pick
Gretchen Whitmer already said she will be on Biden's transition team, but isnt leaving MI in a Pandemic

politics_king
United States

« Reply #1668 on: May 22, 2020, 06:18:43 PM »

Alot of these candidates like Abrams, Grisham, Val Demings and even Cory Booker for AG arent just being vetted for Veep, they are also being vetted for Cabinet positions

Biden and Warren
SOS Abrams
AG Cory Booker

Gretchen Whitmer already said she will be on Biden's transition team, but isnt leaving MI in a Pandemic

I think you can see Susan Rice becoming Secretary of State, Val Demings I see taking over the Department of Homeland Security and Stacey Abrams taking over HUD.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1669 on: May 22, 2020, 06:28:19 PM »

Biden and Warren
SOS Abrams
AG Cory Booker

I think you can see Susan Rice becoming Secretary of State, Val Demings I see taking over the Department of Homeland Security and Stacey Abrams taking over HUD.
With the exception of Susan Rice as SoS. I would be happy with that.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1670 on: May 23, 2020, 10:09:43 AM »

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1671 on: May 23, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »

After Biden's little "incident" yesterday, I think we can rest assured that Bidenchar isn't happening.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1672 on: May 23, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »

After Biden's little "incident" yesterday, I think we can rest assured that Bidenchar isn't happening.

It was doubtful long before. Not because Amy is underqualified or so, but because she's too much like Joe Biden. I'm 75% certain it will be Kamala.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1673 on: May 23, 2020, 11:49:39 AM »

It still could be Amy. If Biden’s team finds unflattering research on Kamala (Willie Brown’s political appointments while dating), it may decide bland and competent is much better.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1674 on: May 23, 2020, 11:52:52 AM »

It's amazing to me the collective freak out that I've seen on social media about the Klobuchar thing. You'd think that Biden just announced yesterday that she WAS the official VP pick. People don't seem to understand what vetting means.

But as others have said, even before yesterday, I always thought he would pick a woman of color for the VP, and I still think Kamala is it. She just makes sense.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies