Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 12:24:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363724 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: May 21, 2020, 01:21:34 AM »
« edited: May 21, 2020, 01:25:36 AM by Ogre Mage »

If Biden goes with a high-ranking Latina (a House member is not good enough in my view) are there any reasons to favor Lujan Grisham over Cortez Masto?

Tell that to Congressman-turned-Governor-turned-Vice President Mike Pence.

I think OP obviously meant someone who has only been in the House. Obviously a Governor who was in the House years ago is fine.

Correct.  In fact, Lujan Grisham also falls into the category of a House member who became Governor.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1576 on: May 21, 2020, 01:40:05 AM »

If Biden goes with a high-ranking Latina (a House member is not good enough in my view) are there any reasons to favor Lujan Grisham over Cortez Masto?

I think OP obviously meant someone who has only been in the House. Obviously a Governor who was in the House years ago is fine.

Correct.  In fact, Lujan Grisham also falls into the category of a House member who became Governor.

Yeah, that's the point I was making: Lujan Grisham would essentially be a Democratic Pence, so an objection to her on the basis of her House experience being "not good enough" isn't really borne out by the VP's we've gotten in real life.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1577 on: May 21, 2020, 01:45:46 AM »

Correct.  In fact, Lujan Grisham also falls into the category of a House member who became Governor.

Yeah, that's the point I was making: Lujan Grisham would essentially be a Democratic Pence, so an objection to her on the basis of her House experience being "not good enough" isn't really borne out by the VP's we've gotten in real life.

Back to the original question -- since they are the only high-ranking Latina Democrats, is there a reason to favor Lujan Grisham over Cortez Masto as the vice presidential candidate?
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1578 on: May 21, 2020, 04:12:46 AM »

I don’t know why they’re vetting second year governors. Seems silly to waste a new comer from such a powerful position to a ceremonial one.

I don't really get this objection. New Mexico's population is only 2 million. VP of the United States is a far more important position than that. (Hell my own county judge, Lina Hidalgo, oversees more people). Biden also badly needs to consolidate the Hispanic vote, which is by no means assured.

"A poor woman had two sons. One went away to sea. The other became Vice-President of the United States. And neither poor boy was ever heard of again."

If it's such an irrelevant position, why do you even care? Lujan Grisham would be a great choice.

Also most sea captains aren't 77 years old. It'd be good to have someone with executive experience.

It being irrelevant is the point. Why waste a Governor (a non irrelevant job) who’s only been in office for sixteen months on an irrelevant job?

How is it irrelevant? The four year mortality rate of a 77 year old man is 22%. Not to mention the possibility of a tied Senate. The more I think of it, the more picking a governor is a good idea.

Yeah I think picking a governor would make sense.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1579 on: May 21, 2020, 04:13:29 AM »

The argument that VP choices dont give you a "boost" is valid if you completely ignore the fact that this is the most unique election that will ever take place. With such an unorthodox and polarizing President, a global pandemic unlike anything ever seen, and the opposing party's nominee likely only running for one term.... Everyone is going to be looking at the VP choice to see if they want them to take over in four years.

Exactly
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1580 on: May 21, 2020, 07:42:54 AM »

Warren is still in the running to be Veep as I stated before😍😍😍

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/21/warren-vice-president-271938

Go Warren as we Kennedy wants your Senate seat as well as Pressley
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1581 on: May 21, 2020, 10:38:38 AM »

Whitmer is the best choice. She is very charismatic and focused on the issues that matter. Biden needs this from his VP and Warren is too toxic to the middle, Harris is just not focused on non-urban issues.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kamala-harris-introduces-senate-resolution-saying-phrase-wuhan-virus-is-anti-asian

We can't be playing this game in 2020, there is way too much at stake to worry about political correctness like this.

That is just completely untrue.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2019/10/17/kamala-harris-campaign-rural-investment-program-tax-cuts-rural-america-trade-war-iowa-caucuses/4005270002/

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1582 on: May 21, 2020, 11:11:46 AM »

Her background with Willie Brown and getting political appointments while dating him is just not flattering.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1583 on: May 21, 2020, 11:20:21 AM »

Her background with Willie Brown and getting political appointments while dating him is just not flattering.
Literally no one cares about that. What is your problem?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1584 on: May 21, 2020, 11:26:57 AM »

Another Grisham non-denial:

https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2020/05/20/lujan-grisham-flattered-by-biden-vp-speculation/

Later in the press conference, Lujan Grisham was asked if she would accept the position if offered by the Biden campaign.

Lujan Grisham did not directly answer either way.

“Being governor today in New Mexico is the job I want and it’s the job I’m completely dedicated to,” Lujan Grisham said. “So those are speculations that I’m not paying any attention to in that regard.”

Harris doing a fundraiser with Biden:

https://deadline.com/2020/05/joe-biden-kamala-harris-1202940227/

Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), viewed as a top tier contender as Joe Biden’s vice presidential running mate, will headline a virtual fundraiser with the former Vice President.

California’s lieutenant governor, Eleni Kounalakis, also will be among the special guests at the June 9 event. Tickets start at $500 per person, with those who write and raise $100,000 listed as co chairs. Kounalakis endorsed Biden this week.

The event raises for the Biden Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee of the Biden campaign, the Democratic National Committee and state parties.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1585 on: May 21, 2020, 11:44:42 AM »

Its gonna be Warren, she has accepted the spot already, she said when she endorsed Biden, she would be proud to be his Veep.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1586 on: May 21, 2020, 12:50:48 PM »

Another bad faith criticism? You can just say Kamala is not your cup of tea and keep it moving. The smears and misrepresentation of her work in the Senate is unnecessary.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1587 on: May 21, 2020, 01:02:38 PM »

It's stuff that gets distracting from the main message. That alone isn't much but you add in the Wuhan virus resolution and you get a lot of what people hate about the modern left.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1588 on: May 21, 2020, 01:03:16 PM »

Its gonna be Warren, she has accepted the spot already, she said when she endorsed Biden, she would be proud to be his Veep.

Yeah, I'm sure you have the scoop. Please refrain from idiotic conclusions like this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #1589 on: May 21, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »

Yeah, I'm sure you have the scoop. Please refrain from idiotic conclusions like this.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/21/warren-vice-president-271938

Look at this article, this explains why I made my statement about Warren Veepstakes

Warren pivots on Medicare in all out bid to be Veepstakes 😍😍😍

Sorry for your misrepresentation
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1590 on: May 21, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »

The article is pure speculation, there are about 12 others like this out there regarding prospective Veeps
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1591 on: May 21, 2020, 01:21:30 PM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1592 on: May 21, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »

Freedom Fighter ♡
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1593 on: May 21, 2020, 03:07:01 PM »

Before people overreact, we know multiple women have gotten to this stage in the VP selection process.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1594 on: May 21, 2020, 03:09:50 PM »

Before people overreact, we know multiple women have gotten to this stage in the VP selection process.

She would be a bonus for the Mid-Western strategy and be a very competent vice president. She's also a pretty good debater, but I think she's too much like Joe Biden. Certainly not the best pick for minority turnout.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1595 on: May 21, 2020, 03:25:39 PM »

Twitter is in absolute meltdown over the news Klobuchar is being considered. But what else is new.
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
« Reply #1596 on: May 21, 2020, 03:31:34 PM »

Twitter is in absolute meltdown over the news Klobuchar is being considered. But what else is new.

Anyone who thought she wouldn’t at least be vetted is delusional.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1597 on: May 21, 2020, 03:35:24 PM »

Anyone who thought she wouldn’t at least be vetted is delusional.
Yeah, I'm honestly dumbfounded. Do people think that she wasn't going to be a VP candidate or do they not understand what vetting means?

Vetting doesn't mean selected and she's been a potential VP pick for a while. I don't know why some people on Twitter are overreacting. Kamala is still the most likely choice.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #1598 on: May 21, 2020, 03:55:02 PM »

There's also a reason you vet multiple candidates. If Biden wants person A to be his VP but the vetting process brings a lot of damaging or embarrassing stuff up, they can quickly move onto candidate B.

Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1599 on: May 21, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »

Everyone knows Klobuchar, Harris, Whitmer, Warren are getting this vet. Not sure why anyone needs to act shocked.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies