Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 02:42:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 368367 times)
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1550 on: May 20, 2020, 08:50:41 PM »

I’m not sure about this one.

I’d prefer a safer option like Klobuchar to appeal to the midwest.

A VP choice won’t add appeal to a region. Ask Paul Ryan, John Edwards, and Jack Kemp
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #1551 on: May 20, 2020, 09:03:48 PM »

The argument that VP choices dont give you a "boost" is valid if you completely ignore the fact that this is the most unique election that will ever take place. With such an unorthodox and polarizing President, a global pandemic unlike anything ever seen, and the opposing party's nominee likely only running for one term.... Everyone is going to be looking at the VP choice to see if they want them to take over in four years.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1552 on: May 20, 2020, 09:06:01 PM »

I don’t know why they’re vetting second year governors. Seems silly to waste a new comer from such a powerful position to a ceremonial one.

I don't really get this objection. New Mexico's population is only 2 million. VP of the United States is a far more important position than that. (Hell my own county judge, Lina Hidalgo, oversees more people). Biden also badly needs to consolidate the Hispanic vote, which is by no means assured.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1553 on: May 20, 2020, 09:18:42 PM »

I don’t know why they’re vetting second year governors. Seems silly to waste a new comer from such a powerful position to a ceremonial one.

I don't really get this objection. New Mexico's population is only 2 million. VP of the United States is a far more important position than that. (Hell my own county judge, Lina Hidalgo, oversees more people). Biden also badly needs to consolidate the Hispanic vote, which is by no means assured.

"A poor woman had two sons. One went away to sea. The other became Vice-President of the United States. And neither poor boy was ever heard of again."
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1554 on: May 20, 2020, 09:30:39 PM »

"A poor woman had two sons. One went away to sea. The other became Vice-President of the United States. And neither poor boy was ever heard of again."

If it's such an irrelevant position, why do you even care? Lujan Grisham would be a great choice.

Also most sea captains aren't 77 years old. It'd be good to have someone with executive experience.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1555 on: May 20, 2020, 09:35:46 PM »

Hispanics aren't just going to vote for someone because half of their surname has Spanish origins.

Do you go outside of your house in Texas lol
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1556 on: May 20, 2020, 09:39:26 PM »

Hispanics aren't just going to vote for someone because half of their surname has Spanish origins.

Democrats keep telling themselves that. And then they keep losing elections to tickets named Garcia and DeSantis-Nunez. Analysis of voting patterns in Texas going back to the 1990s shows Hispanics vote for Spanish last names. Even complete joke candidates like Sema Hernandez.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #1557 on: May 20, 2020, 09:42:10 PM »

If it's such an irrelevant position, why do you even care? Lujan Grisham would be a great choice.

Also most sea captains aren't 77 years old. It'd be good to have someone with executive experience.

It being irrelevant is the point. Why waste a Governor (a non irrelevant job) who’s only been in office for sixteen months on an irrelevant job?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1558 on: May 20, 2020, 09:46:04 PM »

It being irrelevant is the point. Why waste a Governor (a non irrelevant job) who’s only been in office for sixteen months on an irrelevant job?

How is it irrelevant? The four year mortality rate of a 77 year old man is 22%. Not to mention the possibility of a tied Senate. The more I think of it, the more picking a governor is a good idea.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1559 on: May 20, 2020, 09:49:45 PM »

How is it irrelevant? The four year mortality rate of a 77 year old man is 22%. Not to mention the possibility of a tied Senate. The more I think of it, the more picking a governor is a good idea.
Biden is a millionaire, shows all indications of being healthy and, if elected, would have the best medical access in the world. You can't act like he is just your average 77 year old in this regard.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1560 on: May 20, 2020, 09:50:39 PM »

Democrats keep telling themselves that. And then they keep losing elections to tickets named Garcia and DeSantis-Nunez. Analysis of voting patterns in Texas going back to the 1990s shows Hispanics vote for Spanish last names. Even complete joke candidates like Sema Hernandez.
Did Lupe Valdez win her election?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1561 on: May 20, 2020, 09:52:43 PM »

Disingenuous straw man to bring up an election you know was uncompetitive. You're better than this New Frontier.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1562 on: May 20, 2020, 09:55:28 PM »

She isn't a bad choice, but I've never really cared for Governors being removed from their position just to take a mostly ceremonial one like Vice President instead.

My worry is that if a governor has not had previous federal experience he or she will not be able to get up to speed fast enough when they are thrown onto a national ticket as a running mate.  There's almost no time to prepare.  And then they start making terrible mistakes when asked questions on federal issues.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1563 on: May 20, 2020, 09:56:05 PM »

Disingenuous straw man to bring up an election you know was uncompetitive. You're better than this New Frontier.
I'm not the one who claimed that having a Spanish surname will be the magic fix to higher Hispanic turnout and a guaranteed victory Cheesy.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1564 on: May 20, 2020, 09:57:21 PM »

I'm not the one who claimed that having a Hispanic surname will be the magic fix to higher Hispanic turnout and a guaranteed win Cheesy.

Neither did I. I said it would be a boost in a close election. It's ugly and dishonest of you to persist in a misrepresentation of my position.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1565 on: May 20, 2020, 10:02:42 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2020, 10:08:12 PM by Biden/Abrams Voter »

This is one of those areas where I waffle: it basically comes down to "short-term" versus "long-term".

On one hand, Latino voters are the future of the Democratic Party: not Blacks and not Asians. Depending on turnout and enthusiasm, Latinos will become the single-largest Democratic minority vote-bloc in the next 4-6 years (black voters are already a plurality of D minority voters, in case you were curious, despite being >60% less than a decade ago), and their concerns at said point will matter more than any other minority group mathematically-speaking (by definition; there are virtually no true minority groups across any spectrum or measurement in the Democratic Party that comprise >25% of the party). Throwing them a bone now rather than later could speed this process up and make the intra-party battles that will inevitably arise less protracted (most notably, "latino vs black"; already happening: look at the 2020 D primary pre-COVID). It's worth noting that outside of a handful of Southern states (GA and MS most notably), black voters are declining as a share of population (as they obviously are nationally as well). Asian voters are growing the fastest in proportional terms, but they're still too small of a share to matter outside of the closest of contests in select states.

On the other hand, Latinos are so non-optimally distributed that they have little effect on any Senate or presidential race. The only state where they have made a difference over the past decade is FL - and even there, it's predominantly a Cuban phenomenon (who are so out-of-touch/separated from the broader US Latino community that they might as well be considered an eccentric group of "whites"). Look at 2012 and 2016 alike. In 2012, there's notable evidence for the lack of Latino influence on electoral outcomes: Romney won 27% of the Latino vote. With the exception of FL, not a single state would've flipped had Romney's Latino vote share been anywhere between 10% and 43% (i.e. higher than GWB 2004). However, the emergence of AZ & GA as swing states are increasingly changing this - as is the ever-growing Latino population percentage of the country.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1566 on: May 20, 2020, 10:39:28 PM »

I'm not the one who claimed that having a Hispanic surname will be the magic fix to higher Hispanic turnout and a guaranteed win Cheesy.

Neither did I. I said it would be a boost in a close election. It's ugly and dishonest of you to persist in a misrepresentation of my position.
Read Biden/Abrams Voter's post above.

Also, stop being a troll poster. It's annoying.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #1567 on: May 20, 2020, 11:46:25 PM »

I want Biden to pick Whitmer, just to trigger all the conservative pundits that are convinced she's more unpopular than Osama Bin Laden. They can watch with dismay as that ticket wins the Karens of Rochester Hills by 40 points  Purple heart
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1568 on: May 20, 2020, 11:51:19 PM »

Whitmer is the best choice. She is very charismatic and focused on the issues that matter. Biden needs this from his VP and Warren is too toxic to the middle, Harris is just not focused on non-urban issues.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kamala-harris-introduces-senate-resolution-saying-phrase-wuhan-virus-is-anti-asian

We can't be playing this game in 2020, there is way too much at stake to worry about political correctness like this.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1569 on: May 20, 2020, 11:56:30 PM »

Whitmer is the best choice. She is very charismatic and focused on the issues that matter. Biden needs this from his VP and Warren is too toxic to the middle, Harris is just not focused on non-urban issues.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/kamala-harris-introduces-senate-resolution-saying-phrase-wuhan-virus-is-anti-asian

We can't be playing this game in 2020, there is way too much at stake to worry about political correctness like this.
You’re cherry picking to make a point. She has also in recent weeks sponsored bills to keep track of the racial disparities of Coronavirus (because Black and Brown people dying disproportionately does matter), making sure we have safe elections through her VoteSafe Act, and ensuring individuals get $2,000 a month while this crisis continues. But Ok.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1570 on: May 21, 2020, 12:01:49 AM »

She isn't a bad choice, but I've never really cared for Governors being removed from their position just to take a mostly ceremonial one like Vice President instead.

My worry is that if a governor has not had previous federal experience he or she will not be able to get up to speed fast enough when they are thrown onto a national ticket as a running mate.  There's almost no time to prepare.  And then they start making terrible mistakes when asked questions on federal issues.

Grisham does have previous federal experience though, so this doesn't apply to her like it does to Whitmer.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1571 on: May 21, 2020, 12:02:48 AM »

There is a reason that even reps like Clyburn have backed off the idea that Biden needs a black woman as VP. His options are really just not great in this category....everyone who's watched Harris knows she is overrated. Whitmer's message of crisis leadership is perfect for the moment and her approval (despite the protestors) is 63-72% this week in polls. I would not worry about Whitmer's lack of federal experience, she is not a moron like Sarah Palin.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1572 on: May 21, 2020, 12:26:51 AM »

If Biden goes with a high-ranking Latina (a House member is not good enough in my view) are there any reasons to favor Lujan Grisham over Cortez Masto?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1573 on: May 21, 2020, 01:13:04 AM »

If Biden goes with a high-ranking Latina (a House member is not good enough in my view) are there any reasons to favor Lujan Grisham over Cortez Masto?

Tell that to Congressman-turned-Governor-turned-Vice President Mike Pence.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1574 on: May 21, 2020, 01:16:30 AM »

Tell that to Congressman-turned-Governor-turned-Vice President Mike Pence.

I think OP obviously meant someone who has only been in the House. Obviously a Governor who was in the House years ago is fine.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 60 61 62 [63] 64 65 66 67 68 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies