Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 07:29:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 361087 times)
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1400 on: May 14, 2020, 04:28:46 PM »

Ro Khanna thinks Warren should be the pick and I’m very much inclined to agree with him.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1401 on: May 14, 2020, 04:40:42 PM »

If you think Kamala is going to win over voters your deluded. She was the Scott Walker of 2020. She went down like a Led Zeppelin long before Biden's campaign was revitalized by South Carolina.
Sir, please believe me when I say I really don't care what you think. Her being picked is not for you.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1402 on: May 14, 2020, 04:59:41 PM »

If you think Kamala is going to win over voters your deluded. She was the Scott Walker of 2020. She went down like a Led Zeppelin long before Biden's campaign was revitalized by South Carolina.
Sir, please believe me when I say I really don't care what you think. Her being picked is not for you.
Please nominate Stacy Abrams for VP. Please. I’m insisting on it.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1403 on: May 14, 2020, 05:39:15 PM »

It won't be Warren, Biden won't want to deal with all the drama surrounding her and she'd hurt the ticket even if she is a great policymaker.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1404 on: May 14, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »

It won't be Warren, Biden won't want to deal with all the drama surrounding her and she'd hurt the ticket even if she is a great policymaker.

That's the curious and unfortunate dilemma with Warren. She'd be an excellent Vice President, but not an excellent running mate.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1405 on: May 14, 2020, 06:41:28 PM »

I would be pretty surprised if it wasn't Harris
DisneyDem
Rookie
« Reply #1406 on: May 14, 2020, 06:57:58 PM »

Watched footage of CCM debating in 2016 today. Don’t count her out. Prob 2nd best debater behind EW
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1407 on: May 14, 2020, 07:52:15 PM »

Harris and Warren were the only ones leading Trump in AZ, if Warren is selected AZ will be competetive
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1408 on: May 14, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »

Citing a 6 month old junk poll doesn't help anyone here.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1409 on: May 14, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »

I, my family, and my friends are in the demographic that’s supposed to be “motivated” and “excited” by her selection.

None of us are. We don’t dislike her, but the idea that she’ll turn out black voters just by looking black isn’t a thing.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1410 on: May 14, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 09:04:12 PM by #Joemala2020 »

I, my family, and my friends are in the demographic that’s supposed to be “motivated” and “excited” by her selection.

None of us are. We don’t dislike her, but the idea that she’ll turn out black voters just by looking black isn’t a thing.
Ok. I’m just as Black as you, and know Black women in my family and friend group that want Kamala so I guess we’ll just have to see.

ETA: And Kamala doesn’t “look Black” she is Black.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1411 on: May 14, 2020, 09:46:09 PM »

I understand what you're saying. However, I'm Black and my entire family is Black and we'd be excited if he picked Kamala.

My parents would be OK with Klobuchar because "she can help Biden in the Midwest" lol. I definitely disagree with them there.
jaybot711
« Reply #1412 on: May 14, 2020, 10:48:51 PM »

Can anyone make a clear argument why London Breed is not at the top of the list? Because she seems perfect

nothing helps win the rust belt better than a super liberal (socially) San Francisco mayor  
I just think she has all the benefits of kamala Harris (youth, Black woman) without the negatives such as the Terrible presidential campaign, da and AG record) where am I wrong?
She doesn't have a national profile or DC connections. Also, no one has ever made the major leap from Mayor to Vice President. That would be an extraordinary and unprecedented ascendance.

It would also be troubling because Biden will be in his late 70s/early 80s and we'll need a VP who will be ready to be President at any time. Additionally, Biden wants a VP who he is close with. A best friend-like relationship President Obama and him have together. Biden doesn't have a personal connection to Mayor Breed.

Well wait a second.  Didn't FDR go from being mayor of Manhattan to being the president? But much more recently, in the 2020 primaries, the mayor of a very small college town fund raised like a sitting senator and even managed to eke out an Iowa win.  

I think the new conventional wisdom believes the best combo is very little record with very high name recognition.  Mayor Breed obviously doesn't fire on all of those cylinders, but still--little or no political experience = less oppo research and material to distort.  If Stacy Abrams is a top tier contender, then the candidate whose name sounds like a line from BEST IN SHOW should not be dismissed out of hand.  
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1413 on: May 14, 2020, 11:00:10 PM »

I understand what you're saying. However, I'm Black and my entire family is Black and we'd be excited if he picked Kamala.

My parents would be OK with Klobuchar because "she can help Biden in the Midwest" lol. I definitely disagree with them there.

<rant>

Not really a response to anything you said so much as just a contention regarding this line of thinking in general, I think which potential running mate can most help Biden win with a constituency he absolutely needs in order win the election in November is a #1 consideration that's going to be made because it's similar to the type of consideration that Obama went with in 2008: that is, Obama chose Biden to convince people that he was actually strong on something that he'd hitherto been considered weak on (namely, knowing the ways of Washington so that he could actually see to it that his agenda would be implemented).

Hence how the general arguments are that Kamala can help Biden with black voters (whose turnout needs to be expanded upon compared to 2016) & Klobuchar can help Biden with Midwestern voters (because we need the Midwest to actually win). But as the primary showed, Biden is more than capable of securing these demographics on his own. There's still 1 demographic that he needs to win in November, however, that he can't secure on his own & that neither Kamala nor Klobuchar would help him to secure: progressives.

So it's this line of thinking - combined with Biden's recent leftward push & the fact that Biden has said more than once that he wants a governing partner - that convinces me Warren's stock is frankly much higher than many on Atlas seem to believe.

<\rant>
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1414 on: May 14, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »

Can anyone make a clear argument why London Breed is not at the top of the list? Because she seems perfect

nothing helps win the rust belt better than a super liberal (socially) San Francisco mayor  
I just think she has all the benefits of kamala Harris (youth, Black woman) without the negatives such as the Terrible presidential campaign, da and AG record) where am I wrong?
She doesn't have a national profile or DC connections. Also, no one has ever made the major leap from Mayor to Vice President. That would be an extraordinary and unprecedented ascendance.

It would also be troubling because Biden will be in his late 70s/early 80s and we'll need a VP who will be ready to be President at any time. Additionally, Biden wants a VP who he is close with. A best friend-like relationship President Obama and him have together. Biden doesn't have a personal connection to Mayor Breed.

Well wait a second.  Didn't FDR go from being mayor of Manhattan to being the president? But much more recently, in the 2020 primaries, the mayor of a very small college town fund raised like a sitting senator and even managed to eke out an Iowa win.  

I think the new conventional wisdom believes the best combo is very little record with very high name recognition.  Mayor Breed obviously doesn't fire on all of those cylinders, but still--little or no political experience = less oppo research and material to distort.  If Stacy Abrams is a top tier contender, then the candidate whose name sounds like a line from BEST IN SHOW should not be dismissed out of hand.  

'Mayor of Manhattan'?  FDR was a one-term governor of New York when he was elected President in 1932. 
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1415 on: May 14, 2020, 11:24:07 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2020, 11:44:12 PM by Devils30 »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/bidens-latest-virtual-event-was-a-gretchen-whitmer-praisefest

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-05-14/biden-running-mate-whitmer-abrams%3f_amp=true

It’s pretty clear Biden likes her a lot...if he doesn’t want Harris I think his heart might be Whitmer as long as the vetting reveals she wouldn’t have unexpected surprises. She has some natural talent that Dems would be foolish to ignore.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1416 on: May 14, 2020, 11:47:13 PM »

Nope. First of all, it's Mayor of NEW YORK CITY (not just Manhattan). Second of all, FDR was NEVER mayor of NYC (or any city lol). You're probably thinking about Fiorello LaGuardia. Finally, FDR was the incumbent Governor of New York State when he was elected President in 1932. New York State was the most populous state in the country at the time, so it was a big position to hold (it still is obviously but less so than in 1932).

Furthermore, Pete's campaign was doomed once the primaries went past IA & NH. He had no real chance of winning the nomination.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #1417 on: May 15, 2020, 12:42:59 AM »

When Harris dropped out of the race she had 11 CBC endorsements, which at the time was more than any other candidate running.  She did have considerable institutional black support.  Which admittedly is different from grassroots black support.

https://www.axios.com/kamala-harris-congressional-black-caucus-south-carolina-6f3c05fc-580f-49c6-b903-4a1223733967.html
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1418 on: May 15, 2020, 02:47:13 AM »
« Edited: May 15, 2020, 02:50:22 AM by Cory Booker »

We just need to be patient and wait to see when Biden is gonna name his Veep. The convention has been pushed backed to Aug and Biden has a substantial lead over Trump in AZ, MI, PA, WI anyways in the 278 corridor. There is a Pandemic going on and no political rallies. It's all campaigning on ads

If there wasnt any Pandemic going on and Convention was in July, the Veep would be named already. Warren has appeal due to fact she, along with Harris were doing best in AZ and Joe Kennedy and Pressley want Warren's Senate seat, they want to move up
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #1419 on: May 15, 2020, 04:06:33 AM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1420 on: May 15, 2020, 05:14:40 AM »

Again, it would look really bad for Whitmer if she ditched Michigan during all of this after just getting elected in 2018. Ain't gonna happen.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1421 on: May 15, 2020, 07:45:38 AM »

Again, it would look really bad for Whitmer if she ditched Michigan during all of this after just getting elected in 2018. Ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, she would get run out of the state if Biden doesn't win.
Devils30
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1422 on: May 15, 2020, 08:05:40 AM »

Or it won’t...she can be VP nominee and do her job at the same time. Michiganders might enjoy having a person representing their state on the national stage! Not “ditching” it.
SInNYC

« Reply #1423 on: May 15, 2020, 09:17:28 AM »

I don’t see any evidence that Harris has a special appeal with minority voters. I do see some evidence that Klobuchar has some special appeal to Midwesterners. Harris definitely has more baggage. Klobuchar also passes the “ready to take over on day one” test more than Harris although I think both have sufficient experience considering the low bar set by Trump and Obama. My money is on Harris being the choice because identity politics are so important right now but Klobuchar is better.

I dont see this. She did terrible in the neighboring-state IA caucus despite being the best organized - lucky for her that the vote counting turned into a fiasco. There is also no evidence that she has labor appeal, which is important in the rust belt. In the labor part of MN (Iron Range), she did about 6 points better than Tina Smith in 2018, but she did much better than Smith in central MN (old voters) and exurbs, probably because of her long-time incumbency and surname. See maps at: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/11/06/us/elections/results-minnesota-elections.html (but be careful since the coloring is different.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1424 on: May 15, 2020, 01:24:41 PM »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-tammy-duckworth-joe-biden-richard-durbin-20200515-gxj2pn6jnffrdncazxi4gon3ji-story.html?fbclid=IwAR24RH5r3-nIXFwzf_FVQzpOmC0JuZz-0kIVWlWRgVfVnqdU9gHNzIzx0bM

Dick Durbin says Tammy Duckworth is interviewing, and that he supports her.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies