Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 05:35:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 363087 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #725 on: April 18, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »

I think Biden is realizing he needs to make significant overtures to the Bernie camp. Warren does make sense.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #726 on: April 18, 2020, 02:17:51 PM »

I think Biden is realizing he needs to make significant overtures to the Bernie camp. Warren does make sense.

Wrong choice then. Most Berniecrats don't trust Warren at this point. Baldwin is the only prominent female Democrat they'd be comfortable with - and she's younger and would be less controversial.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #727 on: April 18, 2020, 02:30:55 PM »

Wrong choice then. Most Berniecrats don't trust Warren at this point. Baldwin is the only prominent female Democrat they'd be comfortable with - and she's younger and would be less controversial.

Twitter is not real life! Most Bernie supporters would be enthusiastic about a Warren VP. Stop this nonsense.

Also note that although Warren dove into "woke" issues towards the end of her presidential campaign, she would pivot for the general. She would have months to emphasize her work on bankruptcy, the hollowing of the middle class, the CFPB, etc.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #728 on: April 18, 2020, 02:38:46 PM »

Biden is never going to pick someone else who is 70+ years old. What are people not getting about this?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #729 on: April 18, 2020, 02:46:55 PM »

Biden is never going to pick someone else who is 70+ years old. What are people not getting about this?

I suppose we are not getting the fact that you are an enlightened, omniscient demigod who knows exactly what Biden is going to do. Forgive us our sins.
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #730 on: April 18, 2020, 02:49:13 PM »

None of the candidates are perfect.

- Kamala draws the ire of the left, and seems better on paper than she ever has in real life.
- Klobuchar is moderate, white, and boring. Helps with the midwest but not young people, progressives, or black or latino voters.
- Whitmer is Midwestern but inexperienced, and elevating her at this moment could backfire depending on how coronavirus plays out.
- Abrams is wildly inexperienced.

Warren may be 70 but she's already shown that she can appear vital. We all remember the constant jogging and waving videos. She is as sharp as ever mentally.

My point here is that some demographic sacrifice has to be made. I wouldn't trust anyone who claims to know which it's going to be.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #731 on: April 18, 2020, 02:51:41 PM »

Pence is 70 years old as well as Trump, Warren is gonna be Veepstakes.  

Harris said no 3×s, she wanted to be Prez not Veep
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #732 on: April 18, 2020, 02:56:43 PM »

Pence is 70 years old as well as Trump, Warren is gonna be Veepstakes.  

Harris said no 3×s, she wanted to be Prez not Veep

Saying no is how the Veep game is played. Denials need to be ignored right now. And I highly doubt that Harris, who just watched a former Veep take the fast track to the nomination on name recognition, would turn down the offer.

Oh, and: Pence is 60, note 70.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #733 on: April 18, 2020, 02:57:03 PM »

Pence is 70 years old as well as Trump,

It's a little known science fact that Pence's birth year of 1959 was actually 70 years ago rather than 60.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #734 on: April 18, 2020, 03:02:52 PM »

Well, even if so, pollsters think Harris, whom Dem Establishment dumped in favor of Biden wants to be Veep. She wanted to be Prez not Veep,  that's why they moved Cali primary from June.

Warren already accepted it, and both Harris and Warren probably replicate 278 EC map anyways
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #735 on: April 18, 2020, 03:03:29 PM »

It's worth noting that if you have to attack the Veep (beyond the standard amount), you are probably losing the election. Polling shows very few actually think about the Veep when they go to the ballot box.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #736 on: April 18, 2020, 03:18:03 PM »

The RNC is working on oppo research on several of the likely VP shortlisters (including Whitmer):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/michigan-gov-gretchen-whitmer-is-a-rising-star-for-democrats-and-a-target-for-republicans/2020/04/18/86d6dcf4-80e1-11ea-8013-1b6da0e4a2b7_story.html
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #737 on: April 18, 2020, 03:30:47 PM »

I think the VP being “too old” is a weak attack. Does anyone really want Biden handpicking the next leader of the party? A Biden-Warren ticket could get us out of the mess of the last 4 years and set us on a path forward, then hand the baton off to whatever younger Democrat wins the *competitive and open* primaries next cycle.

Vice-President Harris/Klobuchar/Cortez-Masto immediately become the front runners for nominee in 2024. We were robbed a wide-open race this year by Biden and Bernie, they should let us have one next time so we can actually have an election that decides where we want to go as a party.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #738 on: April 18, 2020, 03:33:52 PM »

I think there is a world of difference between a 70-year-old woman and a 78-year-old man. We saw the difference between Warren and Biden already.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #739 on: April 18, 2020, 03:55:58 PM »

CCM, Duckworth, and Whitmer are the good options; the rest suck
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #740 on: April 18, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »

Anyway I get the feeling that Warren wouldn't want to be VP.

Why would you think this?  Warren was asked by Maddow whether she would accept the VP nomination, and she just straight-up said “Yes”.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #741 on: April 18, 2020, 04:07:38 PM »

I think the VP being “too old” is a weak attack. Does anyone really want Biden handpicking the next leader of the party? A Biden-Warren ticket could get us out of the mess of the last 4 years and set us on a path forward, then hand the baton off to whatever younger Democrat wins the *competitive and open* primaries next cycle.

Vice-President Harris/Klobuchar/Cortez-Masto immediately become the front runners for nominee in 2024. We were robbed a wide-open race this year by Biden and Bernie, they should let us have one next time so we can actually have an election that decides where we want to go as a party.
I think this is a strong argument for why Biden might pick one of them though. Biden probably does want to choose who he thinks would make the best 47th president, which is why I think he's going to pick Harris.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #742 on: April 18, 2020, 04:46:14 PM »

I disagree, Biden is a white man and people project what they want (positively) on him. He has working class credentials with low income, non college whites, inoffensive to white suburban women, and close ties to the Black community with his long relationships with CBC members and standing by President Obama.

Someone could easily get into the 2024 primary and run up the Black and youth vote vs Klobuchar, or run up the rural/WWC vote against Harris. Neither would be guaranteed the nomination IMO
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #743 on: April 18, 2020, 06:01:35 PM »

I disagree, Biden is a white man and people project what they want (positively) on him. He has working class credentials with low income, non college whites, inoffensive to white suburban women, and close ties to the Black community with his long relationships with CBC members and standing by President Obama.

Someone could easily get into the 2024 primary and run up the Black and youth vote vs Klobuchar, or run up the rural/WWC vote against Harris. Neither would be guaranteed the nomination IMO

It's unlikely that the same candidate would get the youth vote and the 30+ Black vote. AA keep supporting establishment candidates and most young voters back anti-establishment candidates. The Dems don't have that much rural and WWC support left, and it'll only decline further. The big groups in the next primary will be Hispanics/Asians/non-AA blacks; PMC suburbanites (mainly white, but not exclusively); and AAs. If Harris can keep the two last ones she will be unbeatable unless the PMC starts drifting back to the GOP. Non-AA PoC and young whites and (to a lesser degree) AAs will form the core of the progressive coalition, but still won't be a majority. If a progressive candidate can add enough low income whites to that coalition he/she may win, but that's going to be very hard.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #744 on: April 18, 2020, 07:04:34 PM »

This guy is BSing. They literally haven't formed the committee for vetting yet.

And yet look at how many people treat this BS seriously.
Cabin fever is starting to set in.

We're climbing the walls and can't take it anymore, lol.  Tongue

While I voted for Warren in the primary I think she is not likely to be chosen for the following reasons:

-- Not "simpatico."  That was one of Biden's stated criteria.  He and Warren had substantive disagreement on the issues long before the start of the 2020 campaign as well as during it.

--Age.  She is younger than Biden (another one of his requirements).  But Biden talked about being a "bridge" to the next "generation of leaders."  At age 70 I don't think she provides the generational contrast he and many in the party are looking for.

--Republican Governor in MA.  Perhaps there is a way they could finagle so Warren's senate seat is not temporarily lost, but it is a problem.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #745 on: April 18, 2020, 07:15:32 PM »

Demcord and Bidencord had a flame war and only 15 mins of partnership after Demcord harassed Bidencord's legit campaign staff and started issuing CCP propaganda.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #746 on: April 18, 2020, 07:18:03 PM »

Demcord and Bidencord had a flame war and only 15 mins of partnership after Demcord harassed Bidencord's legit campaign staff and started issuing CCP propaganda.
OOF.
The fact that Demcord users did that I guess doesn't speak to any modicum of respect that their userbase gave to the Biden campaign in the primary campaign.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #747 on: April 18, 2020, 07:33:29 PM »

It's unlikely that the same candidate would get the youth vote and the 30+ Black vote. AA keep supporting establishment candidates and most young voters back anti-establishment candidates. The Dems don't have that much rural and WWC support left, and it'll only decline further. The big groups in the next primary will be Hispanics/Asians/non-AA blacks; PMC suburbanites (mainly white, but not exclusively); and AAs. If Harris can keep the two last ones she will be unbeatable unless the PMC starts drifting back to the GOP. Non-AA PoC and young whites and (to a lesser degree) AAs will form the core of the progressive coalition, but still won't be a majority. If a progressive candidate can add enough low income whites to that coalition he/she may win, but that's going to be very hard.

I mean...there is a candidate that could get both the AA vote and the youth vote, but she is the ultimate dark horse. Pressely is a freshman and lacks legislative credentials, but she does have some leadership experience from Boston. She doesn't come from a swing state, but she has key ties to both groups. However, she is the ultimate dark horse and her selection would be more in line with Romney's choice of Ryan. Biden would need to have full trust of Warren and Kerry, probably requiring Kerry to be on the vetting committee, in order to push her forwards.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #748 on: April 18, 2020, 08:25:40 PM »

This guy is BSing. They literally haven't formed the committee for vetting yet.

And yet look at how many people treat this BS seriously.
Cabin fever is starting to set in.

We're climbing the walls and can't take it anymore, lol.  Tongue

While I voted for Warren in the primary I think she is not likely to be chosen for the following reasons:

-- Not "simpatico."  That was one of Biden's stated criteria.  He and Warren had substantive disagreement on the issues long before the start of the 2020 campaign as well as during it.

--Age.  She is younger than Biden (another one of his requirements).  But Biden talked about being a "bridge" to the next "generation of leaders."  At age 70 I don't think she provides the generational contrast he and many in the party are looking for.

--Republican Governor in MA.  Perhaps there is a way they could finagle so Warren's senate seat is not temporarily lost, but it is a problem.

Pence is 60 yrs old and Trump is 76 yrs old, they are in the same class as Warren and Biden. Everyone knows Pressly will be the Senator if Warren vacates the seat
Pulaski

« Reply #749 on: April 19, 2020, 02:12:05 AM »
« Edited: April 19, 2020, 06:33:48 PM by Pulaski »

I'm a Bernie supporter and I'd be very, very happy with Warren. She definitely scuppered his chances by staying in the race too long, but with hindsight she might have felt that when he had the heart attack and she was the frontrunner, he should've dropped out and endorsed her. Her progressive credentials are unquestionable. That said, I think her age is a real limiting factor.

Baldwin seems to be to have progressive appeal, midwestern appeal, and the requisite experience. I'm honestly surprised that people like Klobuchar and Whitmer have seemingly leapfrogged her on the list.

Duckworth too; more moderate than Bladwin, but a record no progressive can really care about (outside guns maybe, in which case we'd have to complain about Bernie's too) and strong military experience to boot.

Excluding Warren, who I just think is too old at this point, my top 3 is probably

1. Baldwin
2. CCM
3. Duckworth

Then, reluctantly, Harris.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies