Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:23:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 362689 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: April 15, 2020, 10:06:28 PM »

Does MA have a law where the governor can only appoint a senate replacement from a preapproved list from the legislature?? Cuz that's the only way Warren would be at least a non-detrimental pick.
It's irrelevant. The legislature would just change the law to prevent Baker from jeopardizing the position of Senate Ds.

Good point. Why didn't they do this when Kennedy died?

Because Deval Patrick was the governor at the time and no one would expect a Republican to win that seat.
Yeah, no need to change the law to require a Democrat be appointed, if the governor is a Democrat and will appoint a fellow Democrat to the vacant seat.

Completely forgot, my brain is not working today
Oh, no prob. That happens to all of us.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #626 on: April 16, 2020, 01:13:12 AM »

Does MA have a law where the governor can only appoint a senate replacement from a preapproved list from the legislature?? Cuz that's the only way Warren would be at least a non-detrimental pick.
It's irrelevant. The legislature would just change the law to prevent Baker from jeopardizing the position of Senate Ds.

Probably? Maybe? Despite the overwhelming democratic majority of the legislature, which I'm pretty sure is large enough to override any veto, Massachusetts politics is really weird with a surprising number of conservatives. Let the legislature go ahead and pass the law now and then let's talk about Warren.

incidentally , I'm still opposed to warren in that situation because the last thing we need to balance out this ticket is another candidate in their late 70s
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #627 on: April 16, 2020, 01:15:00 AM »

Probably? Maybe? Despite the overwhelming democratic majority of the legislature, which I'm pretty sure is large enough to override any veto, Massachusetts politics is really weird with a surprising number of conservatives. Let the legislature go ahead and pass the law now and then let's talk about Warren.

The Massachusetts General Court has already changed the relevant law twice in the past twenty years, both times for nakedly partisan reasons--first to prevent Romney from replacing Kerry if he had won in 2004, then to allow Patrick to replace Ted Kennedy after he died in 2009.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #628 on: April 16, 2020, 05:16:53 AM »

Am I the only who doesn't think Warren OR Abrams has a realistic shot? Abrams is too inexperienced and Warren is too old and polarizing.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #629 on: April 16, 2020, 06:21:34 AM »

Yeah Klobuchar or Harris are the only possibilities with 85 percent Klobuchar and 15 percent Harris or Abrams
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #630 on: April 16, 2020, 06:44:08 AM »

Am I the only who doesn't think Warren OR Abrams has a realistic shot? Abrams is too inexperienced and Warren is too old and polarizing.

You're not.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #631 on: April 16, 2020, 06:56:54 AM »

honestly, realistically, I think it's down to Harris or Klob. No one else IMO, if we're being real here, has a realistic shot
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #632 on: April 16, 2020, 07:30:22 AM »

honestly, realistically, I think it's down to Harris or Klob. No one else IMO, if we're being real here, has a realistic shot

2 awful options
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #633 on: April 16, 2020, 12:12:45 PM »

2 awful options

Klobuchar is, Harris isn't.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #634 on: April 16, 2020, 01:35:45 PM »

I'd add Duckworth in there tbh.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #635 on: April 16, 2020, 01:51:28 PM »

2 awful options

Klobuchar is, Harris isn't.

Harris have said no 3×s
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #636 on: April 16, 2020, 01:54:36 PM »

Why do you think that?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #637 on: April 16, 2020, 01:56:24 PM »

They're among the most likely, yes. I'd add CCM and Gretchen Whitmer, maybe Val Demings.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #638 on: April 16, 2020, 03:57:05 PM »

I disagree; I think it's a mistake to be too overconfident about who will be chosen, especially when the actual choice could still be months away. The running mate choice is ultimately going to come down to decision made by a very small group of people (and possibly just Biden himself, although presumably he wouldn't completely overrule/ignore his closest advisers). Barring some massive leaks, we simply don't, and can't, fully understand what exactly he values (and how he weighs those values) and how he views his prospective running mates.

I do agree that the chances of Warren and Abrams being picked aren't all that high, but I still think that they're on a list of 10-20 plausible candidates.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #639 on: April 16, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »

Warren could resign in like September to give MA time to elect a replacement senator to start in January. Of course if Biden loses she threw her senate career away, but it's worth the risk.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #640 on: April 16, 2020, 05:51:35 PM »

Warren is going to be 71 this fall, while Harris will be 56 and Klobuchar 60. Warren wouldn't be a good choice for numerous reasons IMO, but her age is a major one. Why should Biden pick a 70+ year old as his running mate? Makes absolutely ZERO sense.

He's going to pick Harris, and I would be willing to bet money on it.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #641 on: April 16, 2020, 06:45:47 PM »

Warren is going to be 71 this fall, while Harris will be 56 and Klobuchar 60. Warren wouldn't be a good choice for numerous reasons IMO, but her age is a major one. Why should Biden pick a 70+ year old as his running mate? Makes absolutely ZERO sense.

He's going to pick Harris, and I would be willing to bet money on it.

I like him picking Warren because then it would discourage her from running in 2024 as his heir apparent. I (and a lot of Democrats) would prefer an open race with younger candidates next time around. Vice President Harris automatically becomes the odds on favorite in a primary and I don’t necessarily think that’s a good thing.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #642 on: April 16, 2020, 07:55:40 PM »

Harris says she'd be honored:
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/493206-harris-on-if-shed-serve-as-bidens-vp-id-be-honored-to-serve-with-joe?fbclid=IwAR2jXFpoK9CLvNF4FlmZTXK0xxG1yYlq5Gn33d7ZB90-1uABFVc_E786K8M
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #643 on: April 16, 2020, 07:57:09 PM »

Senator Duckworth is, I believe, the best option.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #644 on: April 16, 2020, 08:23:23 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2020, 12:48:40 PM by Ogre Mage »

"I would be honored if I were being considered" is a much better and politically savvier answer than "I would be an excellent running mate," which is what Abrams said.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #645 on: April 16, 2020, 08:27:42 PM »

interesting profile of Abrams from 2015 (h/t @ZaidJilani )

Reading Stacey Abrams’ bio, it’s tough to see how she has all the time to fit everything in. She’s co-founded a financial services firm, NOWaccount, Nourish, Inc, a beverage company those focuses on toddlers and infants and is the CEO of Sage Works, a legal advisory firm. She serves as general counsel to the Atlanta Dream and is the COO of Insomnia Group, an Atlanta firm specializing in investment and development for business projects.

One other unexpected detail: In an interview with Womenetics, a B2B services firm that specializes in helping women professionals, Ms. Abrams named three favorite books: The Institutionist, Ender’s Game and… Atlas Shrugged, not exactly a book at the top of most Democrat reading lists. Womenetics called her a “serial entrepreneur” and clearly she has a passion for business. As to how does that translate to the tough business of navigating the politics of Georgia as a Democrat legislator, she seems to have found quick success...
https://www.southernpoliticalreport.com/2015/10/15/house-minority-leader-abrams-talks-new-georgia-project-gig-economy-and-upcoming-session/
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #646 on: April 16, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »

interesting profile of Abrams from 2015 (h/t @ZaidJilani )

Reading Stacey Abrams’ bio, it’s tough to see how she has all the time to fit everything in. She’s co-founded a financial services firm, NOWaccount, Nourish, Inc, a beverage company those focuses on toddlers and infants and is the CEO of Sage Works, a legal advisory firm. She serves as general counsel to the Atlanta Dream and is the COO of Insomnia Group, an Atlanta firm specializing in investment and development for business projects.

One other unexpected detail: In an interview with Womenetics, a B2B services firm that specializes in helping women professionals, Ms. Abrams named three favorite books: The Institutionist, Ender’s Game and… Atlas Shrugged, not exactly a book at the top of most Democrat reading lists. Womenetics called her a “serial entrepreneur” and clearly she has a passion for business. As to how does that translate to the tough business of navigating the politics of Georgia as a Democrat legislator, she seems to have found quick success...
https://www.southernpoliticalreport.com/2015/10/15/house-minority-leader-abrams-talks-new-georgia-project-gig-economy-and-upcoming-session/

There is no doubt Abrams is a very talented and capable person.  She's also written a bunch of romance novels under the pseudonym Selena Montgomery.  I haven't read any of them (it's not one of my favorite genres) but I've heard they're pretty well thought of.

My sole objection to her as a potential running mate for Biden is she doesn't have enough experience in government to be able to step in on a moment's notice, which is an obvious concern for a nominee of his age.  If she were to serve as governor or in Congress for a while, I could certainly see her as President or VP some years down the road.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #647 on: April 17, 2020, 01:55:32 AM »

The only two people that really wants it is Abrams and Klobuchar
American2020
CĂ´te d'Ivoire

« Reply #648 on: April 17, 2020, 08:45:02 AM »

Poll: Warren tops VP appeal for Dem voters in Michigan and Wisconsin

https://www.axios.com/vice-president-women-color-warren-poll-biden-c75d2901-aead-424c-a5b1-a987ab312c6c.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axiosam&stream=top&fbclid=IwAR2S_GSpHN4J365uxlTVg_S-hDgEwMpnix1i7SI8eBsSludf8OolDM1tZU8
JG

« Reply #649 on: April 17, 2020, 08:49:01 AM »

Warren is one of my favourite picks for VP, but wouldn't results like these speak more of name recognition than anything else? Aside from HRC, she is  easily the most known Democratic woman in the country.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies