Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 06:15:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 360151 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: April 11, 2020, 11:50:48 PM »

At this point, like most people, I think it's gonna be Harris.  She has great rapport with Biden, she covers all his gaps, and it's becoming more clear that she's who he personally wants.

Except for the ideological gap. A Harris pick does nothing to bring Bernie/Warren supporters or those in their coalition on board. This was a mistake Hillary made with Kaine in not trying to shore up unity in the Party.

I think his reasoning is that Trump + his record in office (such as it is) + coronavirus-related economic downturn will do the job for him.  Hillary only had the first factor. 
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #501 on: April 12, 2020, 12:03:17 AM »

At this point, like most people, I think it's gonna be Harris.  She has great rapport with Biden, she covers all his gaps, and it's becoming more clear that she's who he personally wants.

Except for the ideological gap. A Harris pick does nothing to bring Bernie/Warren supporters or those in their coalition on board. This was a mistake Hillary made with Kaine in not trying to shore up unity in the Party.

I think his reasoning is that Trump + his record in office (such as it is) + coronavirus-related economic downturn will do the job for him.  Hillary only had the first factor.  

He still needs a compelling message and to run a good campaign, which involves bringing the progressive faction of his party on board. If there's one Party that can screw up defeating an incumbent in a major economic downturn, it's the Democrats.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #502 on: April 12, 2020, 12:05:07 AM »

Why isn't Duckworth the main contender? I literally can't think of any flaws she would have as a running mate (unless vetting comes up with something).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #503 on: April 12, 2020, 12:09:05 AM »

Considering Uncle Joe‘s advancing dementedness, I think he should pick his running gal pretty soon (to take things over once he has to check in at the retirement home).

Preferably a young woman under 50 of colour.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #504 on: April 12, 2020, 12:37:23 AM »

Why isn't Duckworth the main contender? I literally can't think of any flaws she would have as a running mate (unless vetting comes up with something).
As mentioned many times, there's the NDA on workplace retaliation she got into, and also she really mocked New York City and Bernie Sanders voters.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #505 on: April 12, 2020, 01:15:04 AM »

At this point, like most people, I think it's gonna be Harris.  She has great rapport with Biden, she covers all his gaps, and it's becoming more clear that she's who he personally wants.

The only pick that would satisfy those people is Bernie himself.  They've even been ridiculing the idea of a Warren pick.  They are idiots and should have no voice in this discussion.  By the way, Kamala's voting record in the Senate is to the left of Bernie's.
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #506 on: April 12, 2020, 01:16:33 AM »

Eh, I don’t think she’s as bad for that as a lot of fellow lefties make her out to be. Not that I’m necessarily her biggest fan, but Harris comes across as a lot more committed to activism, specifically youth activism like March for Our Lives or BLM, than somebody as say Klobuchar (who is the only one on his shortlist that I think would actively hurt Biden’s odds). Millennials, who make up for the bulk of the ideological divide, still love Obama. Dems can win with his politics, they just don’t seem to quite understand the sense of urgency among young people, see the popularity of a revolution.

So, all that’s to say you can’t win over Bernie diehards with a VEEP, maybe Bernie himself but obviously that’s not an option. I think the key is more so exciting his softer supporters, and there are a lot more than are acknowledged, by hearing their urgency, and Kamala can pull that off.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #507 on: April 12, 2020, 01:17:25 AM »

Accomodation is a two-way street. The Bernie wing lost. They should act like it. From a risk-reduction perspective they are obliged to vote for Joe Biden, especially since he's done more than what is necessary to "earn" their vote.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #508 on: April 12, 2020, 01:23:51 AM »

I been expecting Klobuchar. My problem with her is she is too safe of a pick. To be honest she does not the charisma needed to lead a ticket. This matters more because there is a chance Biden won't serve a full term. Harris would be a better pick as she has the charisma Klobuchar lacks. Whitmer might work. Her handling of the coronavirus could show readiness. She is still a couple years in her term. Duckworth not sure about.

I think Klobuchar is more charismatic than Harris, she at least has Midwestern authenticity and did better in her presidential campaign while Harris seems inauthentic.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #509 on: April 12, 2020, 01:53:44 AM »

Considering Uncle Joe‘s advancing dementedness, I think he should pick his running gal pretty soon (to take things over once he has to check in at the retirement home).

Preferably a young woman under 50 of colour.

Please stop.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2020, 03:55:16 AM »

I been expecting Klobuchar. My problem with her is she is too safe of a pick. To be honest she does not the charisma needed to lead a ticket. This matters more because there is a chance Biden won't serve a full term. Harris would be a better pick as she has the charisma Klobuchar lacks. Whitmer might work. Her handling of the coronavirus could show readiness. She is still a couple years in her term. Duckworth not sure about.

I think Klobuchar is more charismatic than Harris, she at least has Midwestern authenticity and did better in her presidential campaign while Harris seems inauthentic.
What the heck is Midwestern authenticity? Seems like another way to say inoffensive white woman. Kamala has more electoral benefits than Klobuchar. I would want the woman Dolores Huerta endorsed because of her strong background standing up for farm workers, someone who can go to Florida and relate to first generation Caribbean communities, who can talk to the burgeoning AAPI electorates in TX and GA, and double down on suburban white women. Klobuchar ain’t got it. Picking HER would be Tim Kaine tier.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2020, 04:22:20 AM »

What the heck is Midwestern authenticity? Seems like another way to say inoffensive white woman. Kamala has more electoral benefits than Klobuchar. I would want the woman Dolores Huerta endorsed because of her strong background standing up for farm workers, someone who can go to Florida and relate to first generation Caribbean communities, who can talk to the burgeoning AAPI electorates in TX and GA, and double down on suburban white women. Klobuchar ain’t got it. Picking HER would be Tim Kaine tier.

How is Kamala Harris supposed to inspire so many people as a vice-presidential candidate when she couldn't do that as a presidential candidate?
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2020, 09:23:40 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2020, 03:39:50 PM by Marxist-Cornpopist Thought »

Klobuchar also doesn't do much to win WWC voters outside of Minnesota back. I'd much rather have Harris, and that's someone who's similarly bearish on her.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2020, 09:34:30 AM »

Klobuchar would be a Kaine style pick. Too white.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2020, 09:35:06 AM »

Harris is very progressive. But of course she's not good enough for Bernie people. No one is.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #515 on: April 12, 2020, 09:36:52 AM »

How is Kamala Harris supposed to inspire so many people as a vice-presidential candidate when she couldn't do that as a presidential candidate?

Her campaign had way more energy than Klobuchar's, even near the end. Even in Iowa, which she never really connected with, she still had a massive operation and passionate fanbase - just look at the Iowa convention they had late last year.
Amanda Huggenkiss
amanda dermichknutscht

« Reply #516 on: April 12, 2020, 09:39:48 AM »

[/q]

Kaine's problem was not that he is too white. His problem was that he was to bland. Not a big fan of the Klob, but she is not nearly as bland as Kaine.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #517 on: April 12, 2020, 09:42:54 AM »

[/q]

Kaine's problem was not that he is too white. His problem was that he was to bland. Not a big fan of the Klob, but she is not nearly as bland as Kaine.

Funny username.

Almost as good as Annette Halbestunde.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #518 on: April 12, 2020, 09:45:23 AM »

[/q]

Welcome to the forum.  A tip: when quoting, make sure you scroll down below the last /quote tag.  Unfortunately when you hit the quote button, the last part of the quoted material is below the visible window.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #519 on: April 12, 2020, 09:59:11 AM »

Accomodation is a two-way street. The Bernie wing lost. They should act like it. From a risk-reduction perspective they are obliged to vote for Joe Biden, especially since he's done more than what is necessary to "earn" their vote.

That’s nice to say but doesn’t mean much, especially when the Democratic Party packs up and doesn’t support left-wing candidates that defeat their endorsed candidates in the primary.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #520 on: April 12, 2020, 10:16:08 AM »

I disagree Kaine was too white, many voters didnt know whom Kaine was, he didnt go thru the primary; whereas Klobuchar has been exposed and vetted by the media. Stacy Abrams has no foreign policy experience and Kamala is from Cali. There will be multi racial picks at cabinet levels, that Biden will chose from.

The Dem primary ended with all whites ending on ST.  85 percent Klobuchar, 10 percent Warren and 5 percent Harris or Abrams
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #521 on: April 12, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »

Why not Porter as she is Warren's protege, and she will be a olive branch appeal to most Bernie supporters, that aren't BERNIE OR BUST.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #522 on: April 12, 2020, 12:20:09 PM »

Why not Porter as she is Warren's protege, and she will be a olive branch appeal to most Bernie supporters, that aren't BERNIE OR BUST.

Because she is even more inexperienced than Abrams.
Da2017
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #523 on: April 12, 2020, 12:21:38 PM »

Right now I have a Biden as a slight favorite.  He is going to need someone capable of leading in the future. Klobuchar is competent, but boring. It's unfortunate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #524 on: April 12, 2020, 12:25:38 PM »

Pressler would be an excellent pick but she doesnt want the job
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to: