Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 04:29:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 299
Author Topic: Biden VP news megathread (pg 286 - been selected, announcement could be today)  (Read 368446 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: April 05, 2020, 04:26:15 AM »

Biden will regret locking himself in to picking a Female running mate.  His decision precludes Sherrod Brown and Cory Booker, both of whom could have helped him significantly.  As could have candidates with real substance such as Jay Inslee and Michael Bennet.

Now he's locked in.

We don't care what Republicans think about our running mate.

I don't care about your not caring.

You don't speak for all Democrats here anyway.  And I'm a Kerry and Obama voter, and a 2 time Bill Clinton voter, who voted a straight ticket for Florida offices in 2018.  So your political acumen can stand a tad of fine tuning.

So you are planning on or seriously considering voting for Biden then?

Of course he doesn't.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #326 on: April 05, 2020, 07:19:25 AM »

Biden will regret locking himself in to picking a Female running mate.  His decision precludes Sherrod Brown and Cory Booker, both of whom could have helped him significantly.  As could have candidates with real substance such as Jay Inslee and Michael Bennet.

Now he's locked in.

You don't speak for all Democrats here anyway.  And I'm a Kerry and Obama voter, and a 2 time Bill Clinton voter, who voted a straight ticket for Florida offices in 2018.  So your political acumen can stand a tad of fine tuning.

I haven't ruled it out.

I didn't decide to vote for McCain in 2008 until I went into the voting booth.  I was going to vote for Bush in 2004, but I changed my mind and voted for Kerry late in the campaign.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #327 on: April 05, 2020, 08:14:06 AM »

Even if you want to pick a woman, why say it openly? Why not say "I'll pick the most qualified candidate for the job" and then pick a woman? It sounds counter-intuitive to me.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #328 on: April 05, 2020, 09:09:44 AM »
« Edited: April 05, 2020, 09:16:07 AM by Tartarus Sauce »

Biden will regret locking himself in to picking a Female running mate.

Why? How does committing to a female candidate inherently mean something negative and foreboding?

His decision precludes Sherrod Brown and Cory Booker, both of whom could have helped him significantly.

Sherrod Brown represents a seat that flips Republican the moment it’s open, why on earth would Democrat’s take such a foolish risk and hamper their odds of flipping the Senate?

Cory Booker adds little to the ticket because Biden already has the black vote solidly behind him, in fact it’s a major reason why Booker never got traction to begin with during the primary. And he certainly wouldn’t act as a balm for a demoralized populist progressive wing, who’d find his close ties to Wall St. and Big Pharma repulsive to say the least.

As could have candidates with real substance such as Jay Inslee and Michael Bennet.

Now he's locked in.

Jay Inslee definitely does have his environmental advocacy to distinguish himself with, but as for Michael Bennet, other than his deep, baritone voice, the man is about as engaging as a wet noodle. Which would be fine for a VP pick if it weren’t for the fact that he doesn’t really add a dynamic enough contrast with Biden. As much as you might not like it, substance is really only one concern for a VP pick, internal party politics and personality matching play a significant role as well.

But more importantly, what is this with your line of “as could have candidates with real substance...but now he’s locked in?” The way you have written your post points to a subtext that the reason he will regret committing to a female for VP is because only male VP options provide “real substance.”

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #329 on: April 05, 2020, 09:11:04 AM »

Its Warren or Klobuchar both of them have plenty of foreign policy knowledge
JRP1994

« Reply #330 on: April 05, 2020, 09:20:22 AM »

Biden will regret locking himself in to picking a Female running mate.  His decision precludes Sherrod Brown and Cory Booker, both of whom could have helped him significantly.  As could have candidates with real substance such as Jay Inslee and Michael Bennet.

Now he's locked in.

I actually agree with this. He shouldn't pick a woman just for the sake of picking a woman. Cory Booker, Julián Castro, and maaaaybe Eric Garcetti should be considered.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #331 on: April 05, 2020, 10:35:53 AM »

Biden will regret locking himself in to picking a Female running mate.  His decision precludes Sherrod Brown and Cory Booker, both of whom could have helped him significantly.  As could have candidates with real substance such as Jay Inslee and Michael Bennet.

Now he's locked in.

I actually agree with this. He shouldn't pick a woman just for the sake of picking a woman. Cory Booker, Julián Castro, and maaaaybe Eric Garcetti should be considered.
'

Biden needs the 2018 coalition, and for them to be fired. They mostly are, thanks to Trump, but having a woman on the ticket electrifies the ticket in a way that someone like Castro, Garcetti, Brown, or even Booker couldn't really do.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #332 on: April 05, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »

Coronovirus has put a sour patch on the Veep spot due to travel abroad, but Sally Yates, Warren or Klobuchar will travel abroad.  Alot of the cabinet positions are tamed downward, especially ambassadorships due to travel abroad and coronavirus.  That's why Harris adamantly said no way she will move out of Cali and DC
Junior Chimp

« Reply #333 on: April 05, 2020, 01:32:29 PM »

Now he's locked in.
I disagree on that! The reason Biden even won this Nomination are African-Americans and Minorities in General. I'd say he will pick a Woman of Colour either AA or Hispanic.
That's why the stock of Kamala Harris is still sky high if he wants an AA. He also could pick Catherine Cortez-Masto or Michelle Lujan-Grisham.

Warren & Klobuchar are OUT.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #334 on: April 05, 2020, 02:28:59 PM »

Now he's locked in.

I haven't ruled it out.

I didn't decide to vote for McCain in 2008 until I went into the voting booth.  I was going to vote for Bush in 2004, but I changed my mind and voted for Kerry late in the campaign.

I have no way of knowing if you vote for Biden in real life.  But if you at least vote for Biden in the 2020 Mock Presidential Election on this site (which has not been released yet) send me a PM so I can verify.  It should show up in the "Atlas Presidential Mock Election Endorsement History" of your profile.  I will send you a PM apologizing for my earlier statement.

https://uselectionatlas.org/MOCK/

Until then, based on your posting history and avatar I am assuming your statement was typical Trump supporter bile aimed at denigrating female Democrats.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #335 on: April 05, 2020, 02:38:04 PM »

Now he's locked in.

I haven't ruled it out.

I have no way of knowing if you vote for Biden in real life.  But if you at least vote for Biden in the 2020 Mock Presidential Election on this site (which has not been released yet) send me a PM so I can verify.  It should show up in the "Atlas Presidential Mock Election Endorsement History" of your profile.  I will send you a PM apologizing for my earlier statement.

Until then, based on your posting history and avatar I am assuming your statement was typical Trump supporter bile aimed at denigrating female Democrats.

I'm not a "likely" Biden voter.  I'd vote for Trump if the election were held today.  But it's not being held today. 

My comments were made as a statement on strategy.  From a political science point of view.  Whether I vote Democratic or Republican, there will be a load of issues on which I will disagree with the candidate of my choice on.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #336 on: April 05, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »

Now he's locked in.
I disagree on that! The reason Biden even won this Nomination are African-Americans and Minorities in General. I'd say he will pick a Woman of Colour either AA or Hispanic.
That's why the stock of Kamala Harris is still sky high if he wants an AA. He also could pick Catherine Cortez-Masto or Michelle Lujan-Grisham.

They may well be out.

Warren SHOULD be out.

Klobuchar has turned out to be a weaker candidate than I thought she'd be.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #337 on: April 05, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »

The Hill on Whitmer: “There’s been a lot of talk about her internally [in the Biden campaign]”.  Also mentions Harris, Warren, and Klobuchar:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/491049-why-gretchen-whitmers-stock-is-rising-with-team-biden

“There’s been a lot of talk about her internally,” said one source close to the campaign. “She has impressed a lot of people the past few weeks.”
Democratic Sens. Kamala Harris (Calif.), Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) are among the names that come up the most in conversations, along more recently with Whitmer, according to sources who have spoken with the former vice president and his team.

Stacy Abrams, a rising Democratic star who lost the Georgia governor’s race in 2018, has also come up in conversations, the sources say, though not as much as some of the others.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #338 on: April 05, 2020, 02:44:51 PM »

Now he's locked in.

They may well be out.

Warren SHOULD be out.

Klobuchar has turned out to be a weaker candidate than I thought she'd be.
Why would you suggest Booker as a good choice, then?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »

Now he's locked in.

I haven't ruled it out.

I'm not a "likely" Biden voter.  I'd vote for Trump if the election were held today.  But it's not being held today. 

My comments were made as a statement on strategy.  From a political science point of view.  Whether I vote Democratic or Republican, there will be a load of issues on which I will disagree with the candidate of my choice on.

That is what I thought.  Let me rephrase what I said earlier -- we have no reason to care what Trump supporters think about our running mate.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #340 on: April 05, 2020, 03:17:10 PM »

Now he's locked in.

I haven't ruled it out.

That is what I thought.  Let me rephrase what I said earlier -- we have no reason to care what Trump supporters think about our running mate.

You have no reason to care about what Obama-Trump voters think?

Someone who voted for Barack Obama ought to be someone who would be a possible Biden voter, would they not?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #341 on: April 05, 2020, 03:23:31 PM »

Now he's locked in.

I haven't ruled it out.

Someone who voted for Barack Obama ought to be someone who would be a possible Biden voter, would they not?
I just wanna say we should definetly take your opinon into consideration its interesting to get into the mind of a swing voter, what vp would make you the most likely to vote for Biden and why and which the least?
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #342 on: April 05, 2020, 03:50:28 PM »

When does a candidate who basically is the nominee usually announces their VP? April? May? No clear pattern?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2020, 03:58:46 PM »

Now he's locked in.

I haven't ruled it out.

I just wanna say we should definetly take your opinon into consideration its interesting to get into the mind of a swing voter, what vp would make you the most likely to vote for Biden and why and which the least?

My own pick would be Rep. Marcy Kaptur who has the kind of record on trade and unions that I like.

I consider Michael Bennet to be the best Democrat running to actually be President. 

Former HHS Secretary Jeh Johnson is a guy I view as well qualified to actually BE President.

The turnoffs are the candidates who have poisoned the Democratic Party with Identity Grievance Politics.  Admitting to being "Woke" is an immediate turnoff to me.  I'm all for equality and fairness, but the "Woke" crowd is about something else.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2020, 04:12:11 PM »

The Hill on Whitmer: “There’s been a lot of talk about her internally [in the Biden campaign]”.  Also mentions Harris, Warren, and Klobuchar:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/491049-why-gretchen-whitmers-stock-is-rising-with-team-biden

“There’s been a lot of talk about her internally,” said one source close to the campaign. “She has impressed a lot of people the past few weeks.”
Democratic Sens. Kamala Harris (Calif.), Elizabeth Warren (Mass.) and Amy Klobuchar (Minn.) are among the names that come up the most in conversations, along more recently with Whitmer, according to sources who have spoken with the former vice president and his team.

Stacy Abrams, a rising Democratic star who lost the Georgia governor’s race in 2018, has also come up in conversations, the sources say, though not as much as some of the others.

Raises a good point about the optics of her resigning in the middle of a pandemic to campaign; indeed, not a good look at all. Otherwise, though, she definitely has some strong qualities.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2020, 04:21:57 PM »

Our resident theocrat faux-moderate voted for John Kerry in 2004. Truly absolves the reactionary bs he constantly spews.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2020, 04:47:30 PM »

When does a candidate who basically is the nominee usually announces their VP? April? May? No clear pattern?

Kerry announced Edwards about three weeks before the convention, while Romney announced Ryan about two weeks before the convention.  Every other recent nominee announced their choices less than a week before the convention.

Every cycle sees some speculation about an early announcement, but usually the campaign isn't done vetting all the choices until July, so going earlier than that doesn't make sense.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2020, 05:00:02 PM »

Now he's locked in.

Biden having won due to African-American turnout is probably a good reason why he thinks he does NOT need to pick one as VP, because he already has their support and doesn't need to gain it.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #348 on: April 05, 2020, 05:04:01 PM »

Enough with Senators already! What is it with Democrats picking Senators anyway?
Since 1940, Democratic nominees picked Senators for VP 14 out of 16 times. The two exceptions were in 1972 and 1984, which might explain why Biden would be reluctant not to pick a Senator...
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #349 on: April 05, 2020, 05:15:04 PM »

Nobody will question the qualifications of a senator/governor.  A representative, mayor, or cabinet secretary, on the other hand, will have to deal with that question.

Not sure why more governors haven't been picked over the years.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 299  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies