Rural Northwest
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:35:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Rural Northwest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Rural Northwest  (Read 3107 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2005, 02:54:22 PM »

Many rural counties in the NW quadrant (Dakota, Montana, Northern WY, ID, Washington State) trended Democrat from 2000-2004. This is a traditionally Republican region where the Dems still do very poorly in Presidential contests. Still, why did Kerry do better than Gore in many of these places, when Gore did a few points better nationally? You can now view swing maps under 2004 results on the Atlas, so you can see what I'm talking about.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 03:13:20 PM »

My guess would be conservative libertarians dissatisfied with Bush's government size increases.  That is at least what my friends in Montana tell me, although hope springs eternal for them.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:31:36 PM »

Many rural counties in the NW quadrant (Dakota, Montana, Northern WY, ID, Washington State) trended Democrat from 2000-2004. This is a traditionally Republican region where the Dems still do very poorly in Presidential contests. Still, why did Kerry do better than Gore in many of these places, when Gore did a few points better nationally? You can now view swing maps under 2004 results on the Atlas, so you can see what I'm talking about.

I'm glad you brought that up. I've noticed that for a long time, there was a strong Democrat swing across the entire northern tier of the country, from Montana/North Dakota across the midwest to Northern New England.
Everywhere near Canada except New York State.

I have a unproven theory that the timber industry has something to do with this, since that is a major occupation in these regions. Maybe loggers are mad at Bush over the Canada tarrif issue.

I'd love to eventually find out why. Its been vexing me for months.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:21:53 PM »

The timber thing is actually a pretty interesting theory.  The second-biggest swing in Washington, Okanogan County, has two big industries:  timber and transporting timber to Canada.

Good theory.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 02:23:08 AM »

The timber thing is actually a pretty interesting theory.  The second-biggest swing in Washington, Okanogan County, has two big industries:  timber and transporting timber to Canada.

Good theory.

Although I doubt the swing can be pinned down to one cause, I suspect that some people in this part of the country are uncomfortable with the Southern takeover of the Republican party, especially on church/state issues. That being said, the region we're talking about voted heavily Republican last year and I don't see that changing for a long time. It may keep Minnesota Democratic though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 06:07:43 AM »

Two things. Guns vs Gays, ie the Republican GOTV effort in rural areas in 2000 compared to that in 2004.
And of course, correction for 2000, which was quite an unusual election in a way.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 09:27:13 PM »

Good theory.

Although I doubt the swing can be pinned down to one cause, I suspect that some people in this part of the country are uncomfortable with the Southern takeover of the Republican party, especially on church/state issues. That being said, the region we're talking about voted heavily Republican last year and I don't see that changing for a long time. It may keep Minnesota Democratic though.

If they are worried about the Southern Takeover, over the long term that could help the Dems in extremely republican places like Idaho and North Dakota. I'm not suggesting this would make up for losing many Dixie States but it would be an interesting trend.

I don't have any proof for my timber theory, but I know that its one thing that Maine, Washington and maybe Northern Minnesota have in common. It wouldn't explain ND though. I haven't followed the tariff stories, I just know that its a contentious issue between Canada and the USA.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 11:15:34 PM »

The southern takeover of what?  A lot of people in this area are deeply religious.  Generally, the only Democratic voters are a few libertarians that dislike Bush and economic voters.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 12:59:57 AM »

The southern takeover of what?  A lot of people in this area are deeply religious.  Generally, the only Democratic voters are a few libertarians that dislike Bush and economic voters.

I was under the impression that there are very few Evanglicals in this part of the country. Please correct me if this is not the case.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 01:19:55 AM »

I was under the impression that there are very few Evanglicals in this part of the country. Please correct me if this is not the case.

Evangelical, no, but religious persons - whether or not they even attend church.

No part of Washington has a very significant evangelical population.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 06:28:45 AM »

Evangelical, no, but religious persons - whether or not they even attend church.

I know right across the border in the Fraser Valley of BC is called Canada's Bible Belt. Is the area around Blaine, WA similar?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 10:31:57 AM »

I know right across the border in the Fraser Valley of BC is called Canada's Bible Belt. Is the area around Blaine, WA similar?

Not so much Blaine, but the dairy farming area around Lynden is.  Blaine voted Kerry.  Lynden, on the other hand, gave over 75% of the vote to Bush.  The Washington "Bible Belt" extends into the farming towns of Custer (~53%), Delta (~75%), Everson (63%), Ferndale (~55%), Nooksack (~65%), and Ten Mile (~63%).  The Bible Belt does not extend outside of Whatcom County, and is pretty much limited to the centre-north part of the county.  It's what keeps the county only leaning Democratic on the local level.  Lynden is significant in that it has a large Dutch population (as does Custer, but strangely not Nooksack.)

As with most of the west slope of the Cascade Mountains, the rural mountain area in the east of Whatcom County is Democratic.  God knows why.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 11:51:22 PM »

Not so much Blaine, but the dairy farming area around Lynden is.  Blaine voted Kerry.  Lynden, on the other hand, gave over 75% of the vote to Bush.  The Washington "Bible Belt" extends into the farming towns of Custer (~53%), Delta (~75%), Everson (63%), Ferndale (~55%), Nooksack (~65%), and Ten Mile (~63%).  The Bible Belt does not extend outside of Whatcom County, and is pretty much limited to the centre-north part of the county.  It's what keeps the county only leaning Democratic on the local level.  Lynden is significant in that it has a large Dutch population (as does Custer, but strangely not Nooksack.)

As with most of the west slope of the Cascade Mountains, the rural mountain area in the east of Whatcom County is Democratic.  God knows why.

Interesting! That coincides perfectly with the B.C. bible belt. Only problem is, I believe there are more people in the BC bible belt.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 05:08:04 AM »

The Fraser Valley area (technically just the south bank of the lower Fraser Valley but...) is basically an exurban area these days
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 06:37:01 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2005, 06:40:55 PM by Jesus »

Solidly Bush, sure.

But counties that are mostly rural and very white giving 40% of their vote to Kerry isn't that bad.

I was thinking that perhaps the Native American vote helped swing Okanogan County?

Church-goers are a minority in Eastern Washington, too! Infact, according to the ARDA, there are only two counties in the entire state where the majority of the population is a member of some domination.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 08:02:48 PM »

Solidly Bush, sure.

But counties that are mostly rural and very white giving 40% of their vote to Kerry isn't that bad.

I was thinking that perhaps the Native American vote helped swing Okanogan County?

Church-goers are a minority in Eastern Washington, too! Infact, according to the ARDA, there are only two counties in the entire state where the majority of the population is a member of some domination.

Where can I find this sexy ARDA information?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 08:13:49 PM »

Solidly Bush, sure.

http://thearda.com/

I already made a map of it. Cheesy
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 08:15:23 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2005, 08:22:35 PM by Alcon »

Solidly Bush, sure.

Show me or I will kill Ron Sims.

Edit: Although I'm not sure I buy that few people being religious...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 08:25:43 PM »

Solidly Bush, sure.

Show me or I will kill Ron Sims.

Edit: Although I'm not sure I buy that few people being religious...

http://img92.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wareligious8lz.gif

And Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReportPopup.aspx?g=66382003-0c37-4045-807c-ac9e13111418&q=21339
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 01:54:02 AM »

The southern takeover of the Republican party, which will probably continue to annoy libertarians.

Don't they always come out with polls saying that the Northwest is the least religious region of the country? I know that doesn't mean its atheist but I figure that only parts are deeply religious, like Eastern Washington State and Southern Idaho for instance.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2005, 07:32:08 PM »

14 counties in Texas are over 100%.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 04:49:05 PM »

Yeah, given the methodology that's not impossible.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2005, 06:04:44 PM »

It's not perfect, but there's nothing else that even comes close to that website in terms of religious data in the United States! It gives you a general idea.

The census should just ask it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2005, 06:12:19 PM »

It does over here. And very interesting it is... but there are a couple of problems. First off it's too broad (ie; doesn't ask about seperate denominations with Christianity, Islam etc. And those with "no religion" come to think of it. It'd be interesting to see if the geography of Humanism was different to the geography of Atheism so to speak. I suspect it would be as well...) secondly about 10% or so of the population refused to answer the question and you can't make safe assumptions about them at all... there's a possibility that that tenth skews the figures off badly...
Galactic Overlord

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2005, 07:58:27 PM »

It may well be the "libertarian" factor that caused these counties to shift.  Has anyone also thought about the collapse of the Nader vote?  Nader got about 6% in Montana in 2000, but only 1% in 2004. Kerry's 39% is almost exactly that much pickup from Gore's 33%.  Idaho has shifts that I think look similar.

If this is evidence of a Democratic swing, it's happening too slowly to make a difference, at least as far as Wyoming, Idaho, the Dakotas and Montana are concerned.  Bush did better in Montana both times than Nixon did in 1972.  Ditto Idaho.  There may be geographical shifts in which counties vote more Democrat, but it doesn't seem to be tilting the overall vote.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies