2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 08:54:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 42
Author Topic: 2020 AZ Senate Megathread: Kelly's Race to Lose  (Read 74146 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »

Face it, if it was a race of generic D vs generic R, all the people above would have lost.

Of course, but thats not what Im talking about. I specified that ideology doesnt make a difference, not other factors, such as personal popularity, appeal, party tag, incumbency, etc.

Without such horrid opponents, its likely Kelly and Joe would have lost, and without the personal popularity the 3 Rs gathered over years and years, its unlikely they would have survived as well. There are other factors in play, but ideology had no discernible difference over both statewide and congressional races.

If Kelly ran on banning guns and allowing unrestricted abortion, she would have lost.

If Baker ran on banning abortion and banning gay marriage, he would have lost

I can go on.

Alright, I shall offer a counter hypothetical.

Lets say Kelly is running on banning guns and unrestricted abortions, rather extreme positions in the current political sphere. She herself, however, has extremely high approvals, around 80%(following the extreme positions she has). Would she win, or lose? According to you, even though she is extremely popular, she loses because of her positions, while my position, supported by real life examples such as the upper 5 I described, would be that Kelly wins, because she is popular.

No matter what you think of the hypothetical, however, real life supports my argument, as ideology has never really been a factor in the modern political era. From CPC, to BD, all preformed relatively the same, and it was elasticity, and candidate popularity that determined how the district voted, not the positions of candidates.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2018, 02:19:16 PM »

An average voter's ideological identification is only 63% predictive to what they would tell you two years later.

Don't worry though, because a popular governor got re-elected, that must mean voters vote on ideology.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2018, 02:21:18 PM »

Looking forward to Woods beating her in 2020!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #203 on: December 18, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »

LOL, I consider this a punch in the voters face. They just rejected her for this position. Democrats should be able to win the seat in 2020.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: December 18, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »

Face it, if it was a race of generic D vs generic R, all the people above would have lost.

Of course, but thats not what Im talking about. I specified that ideology doesnt make a difference, not other factors, such as personal popularity, appeal, party tag, incumbency, etc.

Without such horrid opponents, its likely Kelly and Joe would have lost, and without the personal popularity the 3 Rs gathered over years and years, its unlikely they would have survived as well. There are other factors in play, but ideology had no discernible difference over both statewide and congressional races.

Do you think ideology exists in a void and in no way effects any of those other factors. Manchin, Baker, Scott etc. are popular because of their ideology and the fact that its not generic d or r

Its possible, though history can point to many candidates that have been popular even with rather "extreme" policies relative to the state(WI is a great example of this, just take a look at every state elected official). Its highly possible, in fact likely, to have extreme positions and still be popular( I also look towards Chuck Grassley, another good example of this). Of course, it goes the other way too, moderates and centrists can be super unpopular, even if they are close to the state's values(enter in a good chunk of the Republicans who lost, and many D senators over the years).

If you want solid evidence, I believe ONProgressive just provided it.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2018, 02:25:12 PM »

If Kelly ran on banning guns and allowing unrestricted abortion, she would have lost.

I can go on.

Lets say Kelly is running on banning guns and unrestricted abortions, rather extreme positions in the current political sphere. She herself, however, has extremely high approvals, around 80%(following the extreme positions she has). Would she win, or lose? According to you, even though she is extremely popular, she loses because of her positions, while my position, supported by real life examples such as the upper 5 I described, would be that Kelly wins, because she is popular.

No matter what you think of the hypothetical, however, real life supports my argument, as ideology has never really been a factor in the modern political era. From CPC, to BD, all preformed relatively the same, and it was elasticity, and candidate popularity that determined how the district voted, not the positions of candidates.
So why did Scott Baker get elected in 2014?
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2018, 02:26:41 PM »

Meh, I can respect this. Everyone gets a Senator that they voted for in 2016.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2018, 02:31:29 PM by pppolitics »

I can go on.

That's where your argument fails.

She wouldn't have those approval if she has those extreme positions. (Or maybe she has those extreme positions, but she doesn't talk about them).

Popularity doesn't exist independently of ideology.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2018, 02:37:11 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2018, 02:46:03 PM by Senator Zaybay »

She wouldn't have those approval if she has those extreme positions. (Or maybe she has those extreme positions, but she doesn't talk about it).

Go ask Chuck Grassley how hes doing, with such extreme positions in a state like IA, he must be doomed. And lets not forget Beto, he ran in TX, for gods sake, why didnt he moderate, his popularity must be in the dumpster? He wouldnt have lost by such a large margin of....*checks notes...2 points if he had risen his popularity by moderating. And dont get me started on that PA representative, Cartwright, in such a Trumpy district, how can he be so Leftist?! he must have a 10% approval! /s

Popularity can be completely separate from ideology, and its rather easy to do, I mean, you can look at a good portion of the newly elected House Dems and the Senate class for that. To give some counters, Joe Donelly ran on establishing the wall, and still was unpopular. Sinema was painted as a anti-war Green Party activist, and was still popular. Charlie Baker, in 2010, ran as a Tea Party Republican and still captured a lot of support from MA.

If you want to know the extent, in 2018, only two unpopular candidates relative to the other were able to win their races, Scott in FL, and Noam in SD. Besides those two, every candidate that won had more popular support than the other, and I doubt that ideology was the reason all of them had higher/lower popularity.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2018, 02:43:39 PM »

She wouldn't have those approval if she has those extreme positions. (Or maybe she has those extreme positions, but she doesn't talk about it).

Go ask Chuck Grassley how hes doing, with such extreme positions in a state like IA, he must be doomed. And lets not forget Beto, he ran in TX, for gods sake, why didnt he moderate, his popularity must be in the dumpster? He wouldnt have lost by such a large margin of....*checks notes...2 points if he had risen his popularity by moderating. And dont get me started on that PA representative, Cartwright, in such a Trumpy district, how can he be so Leftist?! he must have a 10% approval! /s

Popularity can be completely separate from ideology, and its rather easy to do, I mean, you can look at a good portion of the newly elected House Dems and the Senate class for that. To give some counters, Joe Donelly ran on establishing the wall, and still was unpopular. Sinema was painted as a anti-war Green Party activist, and was still popular. Charlie Baker, in 2010, ran as a Tea Party Republican and still captured a lot of support from MA.

This getting more and more off-topic.

Let's continue this on a different thread.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #210 on: December 18, 2018, 02:46:47 PM »

This getting more and more off-topic.

Let's continue this on a different thread.
You want to make a thread about this, Im all ears, but if you want to end debate now, Im cool with that too.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #211 on: December 18, 2018, 02:51:35 PM »

Let's say that you are a Republican (if you are not) trying to retain this Senate seat in 2020, do you think that appointing McSally to this seat is a wise choice?

I think, not.

She's a weak candidate and blamed losing on everybody else except herself.

Furthermore, she has Trump shackled to her ankle.

Someone else who can distance himself/herself from Trump would have been better.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2018, 03:00:08 PM »

Let's say that you are a Republican (if you are not) trying to retain this Senate seat in 2020, do you think that appointing McSally to this seat is a wise choice?

I think, not.

She's a weak candidate and blamed losing on everybody else except herself.

Furthermore, she has Trump shackled to her ankle.

Someone else who can distance himself/herself from Trump would have been better.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2018, 03:00:15 PM »

Hell no. All it will do will ensure its loss to the Democrats in 2020
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2018, 03:06:25 PM »

No, because McSally is shackled to Trump's ankle.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Did he not think that sentence through before he said that?
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »

When he says respect the will of the voters, he only means republican voters.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2018, 03:11:18 PM »

I think Ducey was too busy daydreaming about winning the seat from the Democrat in 2022
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »

I think Ducey was too busy daydreaming about winning the seat from the Democrat in 2022
Why? He would probably lose in 2022, especially if trump wins reelection.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2018, 03:49:57 PM »

When he says respect the will of the voters, he only means republican voters.
well tbf, he has to pick a republican, so mcsally who was the republican choice for senate in this past election seemed like an obvious choice to me. she still has to defend her seat in 2 yrs.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2018, 04:08:13 PM »

Also allows the Democrats to spend two years running ‘she’s a loser’ ‘she cheated her way into D.C’ ‘McSallys best friend Mitch McConelll gave her a seat’ etc before we even get to the election- adds another soft target to hit- and beyond better funding and some soft promo I can’t see what a senate seat gives her
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2018, 04:20:29 PM »

This was not a wise decision on Ducey's part. McSally just lost to Sinema last month, and 2018 showed that she is not a formidable campaigner. Given how closely she has associated herself with Trump in a state where he is generally unpopular, and one that is trending Democratic, I am not sure whether or not she will manage to hold the seat in 2020. And if she does, then she will have to run again in 2022 for the full term.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #222 on: December 18, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »

She'll be a good senator but obviously isn't the best able to hold the seat in 2020.

At this pace, it looks like we'll have:

1.  Senator McSally (R), 2019-2021
2.  Senator Gallego (D), 2021-2023
3.  Senator Ducey (R), 2023-
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #223 on: December 18, 2018, 04:42:56 PM »

She'll be a good senator but obviously isn't the best able to hold the seat in 2020.

1.  Senator McSally (R), 2019-2021
2.  Senator Gallego (D), 2021-2023
3.  Senator Ducey (R), 2023-

Maybe that's the plan all along. #It's a conspiracy!

Ducey appoints McSally so she would lose to a Democrat. Ducey can than compete against that Democrat two years later.

Sinema would be harder for Ducey to dislodge because he would already be out of office and Sinema would have six years of incumbency.

...and, of cause, the state is moving left the whole time
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #224 on: December 18, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »

1.  Senator McSally (R), 2019-2021
2.  Senator Gallego (D), 2021-2023
3.  Senator Ducey (R), 2023-

Maybe that's the plan all along. #It's a conspiracy!

Ducey appoints McSally so she would lose to a Democrat. Ducey can than compete against that Democrat two years later.

Sinema would be harder for Ducey to dislodge because he would already be out of office and Sinema would have six years of incumbency.

...and, of cause, the state is moving left the whole time

If that was the plan, he should have appointed Kelli Ward rather than McSally. This would also ingratiate Ducey to the R primary voters he will need in 2022.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 42  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies