SC Megathread 2020: Graham Crackers, Cunning-Ham Sandwiches and Duncan Donuts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:51:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  SC Megathread 2020: Graham Crackers, Cunning-Ham Sandwiches and Duncan Donuts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21
Author Topic: SC Megathread 2020: Graham Crackers, Cunning-Ham Sandwiches and Duncan Donuts  (Read 38432 times)
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 25, 2020, 10:55:11 AM »

Has any group intervened to hype the Constitution candidate & say Graham is not a true Trump fan?

Here's the ad:

(zoom in on Graham's face in each transition)
Lindsey Graham:  negative quote about Trump
Lindsey Graham:  negative quote about Trump
Lindsey Graham:  quick cut of insulting Trump
freeze frame, fade to black+white

Male voice:  Lindsey Graham will say anything.  He's only out for himself.  Isn't it time we had a true conservative?  Someone who's loyal to our president and will have his back?

(glamour shot of Bill Bledsoe)

Vote for Bill Bledsoe to tell Lindsey Graham "you ain't fooling anyone"

This ad paid for by Friends of Bill Bledsoe.

Inject some homophobic undertones - “isn’t it time we had a true, strong, masculine conservative” - and you’ve got a winner. Let me cut a check

Shot of Bill Bledsoe with his wife and kids to hammer home the "not gay" point, ideally.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #201 on: September 25, 2020, 02:32:54 PM »

I was thinking earlier why some rich liberal hasn't been angered enough to dump £££ into an Anti-Lindsay PAC.

If you spent millions on boosting the third party conservative candidate, attacking Graham with Trump voters & well just generally attacking Graham over his record it could be the type of thing that could shift the needle by that 0.5-1% difference.

If I was an aging billionaire in covid time I'd happily waste money just to scare Lindsay & force him to go back on Fox News.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #202 on: September 25, 2020, 02:40:53 PM »

Could someone who knows the politics of South Carolina give me a guide to how close it could get?

Looking at previous Senate & Governor races it seems that the Democrats actually have a pretty high average of between 40-45%...
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #203 on: September 25, 2020, 03:05:11 PM »

Could someone who knows the politics of South Carolina give me a guide to how close it could get?

Looking at previous Senate & Governor races it seems that the Democrats actually have a pretty high average of between 40-45%...

What I find interesting is that when both Senate seats were on the ballot in 2014, Lindsey won by 17 despite being a two-term incumbent, and Tim Scott won by 24 despite being an appointee who had never won statewide. What happened with that?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #204 on: September 25, 2020, 03:13:19 PM »

What I find interesting is that when both Senate seats were on the ballot in 2014, Lindsey won by 17 despite being a two-term incumbent, and Tim Scott won by 24 despite being an appointee who had never won statewide. What happened with that?

My only memory of that race was that Lindsey had generally been seen as an unpopular & absent senator who was very much a creature of Washington; iirc he only got 65% in the GOP primary and had been one of those worried about a Primary.
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #205 on: September 25, 2020, 03:21:26 PM »

Because people love Tim Scott (most on the right, center, and maybe even some center-left find him to be an extremely likable guy) and don't like Lindsey Graham that much. At that time, a lot of hard-right, talk-radio-style conservatives considered Graham a RINO (and many still do). Rush Limbaugh called him Grahamnesty for a long time. Even since Graham went full MAGA, no name opposition got over 30% statewide (including a majority in Greenville and Spartanburg) in the GOP primary this year. Harrison would not be nearly this close to Scott.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #206 on: September 25, 2020, 03:30:49 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2020, 03:43:46 PM by Storr »

Though both Democrats still had right around the same percentages (38.8% for Hutto and 37.1% for Dickerson in the special election). There were two other candidates in Graham's race, an Independent and Libertarian who got 3.84% and 2.73%, respectively. While in the special Scott Senate race there was only an "American Party" third party candidate, which is evidently some centrist third party in SC, who got only 1.75%. Most of those Libertarian and Independent voters were probably hardcore Conservatives/Tea Partiers who didn't like Graham for his attempts at working across the isle (specifically his gang of 8 immigration bill with a path to citizenship for undocumented immigrants that passed the Senate in 2013). Graham only won the Republican primary with 56.42% that year, after all. He was saved by the fact Conservatives/Tea Partiers never solidified behind one candidate running against him.
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #207 on: September 25, 2020, 03:38:42 PM »

SC isn't a super elastic state. The D coalition here is mostly African Americans with an increasing number of Charleston-area suburbanites and young people in the three big cities (Greenville, Columbia, Charleston). The R coalition is Evangelicals in the Upstate, a decent amount of historically R suburbanites near Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, and Fort Mill (just south of Charlotte), wealthy retirees on the coast, some old money Southerners in medium and large towns and cities, typical rural South Rs everywhere else. Democrats usually get close to 45% of the vote.

Harrison has run a genius campaign, making it all about his inspiring personal story and Graham's flip-flopping (including clips from Hannity and Tucker) and not on specific political issues other than COVID handling (Rs would definitely win a non-personality-based campaign). I can see Harrison hitting 47-48 but I think it would be hard for him to get to 49 and extremely difficult to get to 50. There just isn't a path for a Democrat to hit 50% here barring a Roy Moore-esque scenario. Harrison's only hope is for Rs to vote third party, write in, or leave the Senate portion of the ballot blank. I expect him to significantly improve among suburbanites near Greenville, Fort Mill, Columbia, and Charleston, however. When you combine anti-Graham Rs (Graham got below 50% in the primary there) with well educated suburbanites, Greenville's margin will be closer than ever (Graham may even go below 55%).

One poll showed Trump outrunning Graham here by 9 points among Republicans. I'm guessing SCOTUS helps Graham there.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #208 on: September 25, 2020, 08:59:52 PM »

I nominate this for best ad of the cycle.

Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #209 on: September 25, 2020, 10:32:49 PM »

Like Jebra, Graham is begging for Cash, votes, or even just a clap!

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/09/25/lindsey-graham-begs-for-cash-421952
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #210 on: September 26, 2020, 05:52:39 AM »

Graham is now saying that he might lose. If this is the case, if SC flips, so will MT, KS and GA. I am still waiting on another AK

KY and TX, Rs probably keep

ugabug
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.61, S: -4.35

« Reply #211 on: September 26, 2020, 08:05:28 AM »

This is third time this week Leningrad Lindsey has gone on Fox to beg for donations.
I wonder if that won't hurt him with Trump voters just because of how weak it makes him look.

The Harrison campaign really has some good ads going here against Graham.

GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #212 on: September 26, 2020, 11:11:02 AM »

This is third time this week Leningrad Lindsey has gone on Fox to beg for donations.
I wonder if that won't hurt him with Trump voters just because of how weak it makes him look.

That's actually a stellar ad. Might even depress the Trump/Graham vote if Harrison's lucky.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #213 on: September 26, 2020, 11:17:29 AM »

That's actually a stellar ad. Might even depress the Trump/Graham vote if Harrison's lucky.

I was skeptical about Harrison for a long time, but he seems to be running a very good campaign. This is increasingly reminding me of TX-Sen 2018.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #214 on: September 26, 2020, 11:29:13 AM »

I don't get why Graham is whining like that. Wasn't he supposed to have a huge war chest after two decades of uncompetitive races?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #215 on: September 26, 2020, 11:40:18 AM »

I don't get why Graham is whining like that. Wasn't he supposed to have a huge war chest after two decades of uncompetitive races?

It also could go the other way - he's never felt the need to fundraise big because he's been safe until this year. Even then, I think he has a big war chest, but it's just that Harrison has been raising an insane amount from out of state liberals eager to see Graham defeated. Again, not unlike Beto.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #216 on: September 26, 2020, 12:17:31 PM »

FYI that ad is by MeidasTouch, not Jaime Harrison.

Like so many of these PACs making slick video ads, I don't think they're actually booking airtime.  They're just putting the ad up on the internet for an audience of potential donors.
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2020, 02:02:59 PM »

FYI that ad is by MeidasTouch, not Jaime Harrison.

Like so many of these PACs making slick video ads, I don't think they're actually booking airtime.  They're just putting the ad up on the internet for an audience of potential donors.
In replies on Twitter they said they're currently raising money to air this ad.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2020, 02:28:59 PM »

It also could go the other way - he's never felt the need to fundraise big because he's been safe until this year. Even then, I think he has a big war chest, but it's just that Harrison has been raising an insane amount from out of state liberals eager to see Graham defeated. Again, not unlike Beto.

Graham has been chairman of many important committees. I'm pretty sure that money kept flowing to his accounts even if when he didn't actively fundraise.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2020, 02:30:22 PM »

Another Saturday, and 20 Dollars for Jaime from Brooklyn.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2020, 02:53:06 PM »

Graham's money is 100% as in state as Harrison's
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2020, 02:54:25 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm referring to the fact that each Saturday I help collect money for Jaime at a Brooklyn Farmer's Market.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2020, 03:01:42 PM »

Graham is a pretty weak candidate it seems. Still, another Kavanaugh hearing style tantrum could seal the deal for him.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2020, 04:15:51 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean.

I'm referring to the fact that each Saturday I help collect money for Jaime at a Brooklyn Farmer's Market.

I was just making a joke that Graham attack's Harrison's money from being out of state while Graham turns around and does the same thing, except less effectively
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2020, 05:10:35 PM »

Graham is a pretty weak candidate it seems. Still, another Kavanaugh hearing style tantrum could seal the deal for him.

I think this cycle is proving what many people didn't want to believe: that people like Graham, and to a lesser extent Ernst, since she's newer, and really just not great candidates when it comes down to an actual competitive race. They've just been able to skate by because of polarization and the R next to their name.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies