Rank the likelihood of the following happening in America
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:04:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rank the likelihood of the following happening in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rank the likelihood of the following happening in America  (Read 886 times)
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
« edited: December 10, 2018, 05:40:52 PM by darklordoftech »

- Single-payer healthcare
- Topless women on beaches, tv, and movies rated lower than R
- Lower drinking age

Speculation on how one or two of these happening could affect the liklihood of the others happening is welcome.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:17:25 PM »

Topless women on beaches -- we already have nude beaches.

Single-payer healthcare... when the political order is willing.

Lower drinking age? Not bloody likely.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 11:05:49 AM »

1) Topless women on beaches: this already happens in a lot of places, and is going to become more widespread in the next 15-20 years
2) Single payer healthcare
3) Lower drinking age: the political barriers to this are actually higher than they are for single-payer,  and the impetus really isn't there.
elcorazon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 12:12:35 PM »

this is obvious:
1 - nudity
2 - single payer
3 - lower drinking age

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 01:05:22 PM »

1) Topless women on beaches: this already happens in a lot of places, and is going to become more widespread in the next 15-20 years
Interesting, as exactly the opposite has been happening in Denmark. When I was a kid, going topless on the beach was the norm. Since then it has become increasingly rare and today very few young people do it.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 03:25:50 PM »

Interesting, as exactly the opposite has been happening in Denmark. When I was a kid, going topless on the beach was the norm. Since then it has become increasingly rare and today very few young people do it.
I wonder what the cause of this trend is, and what, if anything, it suggests for the future.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 07:32:09 PM »

It's mostly people you dont want to see naked that are the ones who are naked. There are exceptions,  though.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 10:53:51 PM »

Not happening. The U.S. system of government has way too many veto points. It is basically designed for paralysis, so if you have any hopes of single payer healthcare being a reality instead of a tool for establishment Democratic candidates to virtue signal on, you're up a creek. If the Democratic Party really wanted to do this, they would have done it at the state level (NY, CA, etc.) already.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Society is becoming more sexually conservative, so this is not happening.

Society is becoming more authoritarian on health related issues, so it is not happening.

Basically all of these things have zero chance and/or things are trending in the opposite direction.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:24 PM »

Not happening. The U.S. system of government has way too many veto points. It is basically designed for paralysis, so if you have any hopes of single payer healthcare being a reality instead of a tool for establishment Democratic candidates to virtue signal on, you're up a creek. If the Democratic Party really wanted to do this, they would have done it at the state level (NY, CA, etc.) already.

Society is becoming more authoritarian on health related issues, so it is not happening.

Basically all of these things have zero chance and/or things are trending in the opposite direction.

Really? More conservative? I completely disagree.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 02:38:27 AM »

What's with people on this board and their obsession with state level single payer? That wouldn't work. Think about it for more than 30 seconds.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 02:44:41 AM »
« Edited: December 12, 2018, 02:53:23 AM by AudmanOut »

Really? More conservative? I completely disagree.
Tall guy, he’s trolling just ignore him.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 06:47:04 AM »

It's mostly people you dont want to see naked that are the ones who are naked. There are exceptions,  though.

So? People you don't find attractive have rights too.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 12:15:42 PM »

Wisconsin would have kept the 18 yr old drinking age if the Feds wouldn't have pulled road funding if they didn't.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »

So? People you don't find attractive have rights too.

I didn't say that.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 09:54:23 PM »

I would be curious to see a poll of public support on the drinking age.  It wouldn't actually shock me if support for lowering it was 60-70%.

Now, I don't really think alcohol should have any place in respectable society (in any amount), but, if it has to be around, I think having it at 21 instead of 18 does more harm than good and may be unconstitutional.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies