Gillibrand says "The Future is Female". What's in it for HER own sons?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:08:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gillibrand says "The Future is Female". What's in it for HER own sons?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Gillibrand says "The Future is Female". What's in it for HER own sons?  (Read 4931 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »

https://nypost.com/2018/12/06/gillibrands-own-sons-have-no-place-in-her-future/

If I had a Mom like that, I'd have puked.  To say, nationally, that they don't count.  Wowsers!

If there's one thing I've become progressively nauseated at, it's the endless blather about "The Conditions of Women and Girls".  This column points out something very true, and something I've witnessed in my personal and professional life for myself, and that is the fact that the future of boys is progressively getting worse.  Fewer go to college, and more go to jail.  Are we happy with that?

I'll not vote for anyone who expresses this sentiment any more than a woman would vote for a candidate who insisted "It's a Man's World!'.  Please tell me why I should think otherwise. 
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 05:57:35 PM »

You shouldn’t think otherwise. Although I disagree that articles pertaining to the real plight of women are nauseating, I will agree that the “women are the future” nonsense is just that: nonsense. A future more inclusive of women, less sexist, and more supportive of equal rights and opportunities for both sexes is unequestionably a good thing. But, claiming that one gender is better or that the future should be more oriented towards one gender than the other is repugnant.

Gillibrand is a liberal who’s interwoven herself and her politics into the current bourgeois, liberal mindset. What do you expect?
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 06:02:53 PM »

Why are you not just as upset about John Boehner, who famously said, "The Future is Cao"?

Huh

If the future is Cao, doesn't that mean that everyone else other than Joseph Cao (or, I suppose, other people with the last name Cao) has no future?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uv4lgzHK3E

Won't somebody think of the non-Caos? What about the pigs?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/boehner-the-future-is-cao/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 06:03:02 PM »

Jesus Christ
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 06:13:41 PM »

Nothing. That's why she won't make it and why the brand of feminism she is aligning herself with will be viewed as a joke in retrospect.

Trump would kick her ass.*

*i'm talking metaphorically guys, cool down before you accuse me of promoting violence against womyn. I'm just saying he would win big league in terms of getting more votes.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 09:49:56 PM »

Like Black Lives Matter, the idea isn't that men don't have a future, the idea is that women will have a larger say in the future than they do in the present/did in the past. This is not about putting white men down (at least outside of the fringes of Twitter), it's about addressing the fact that women still don't have the same opportunities and privilege as men in American society, even if we are ahead of many countries in the world. Sometimes, people have to use bold wording to get others to pay attention. Just like for me, as a music educator, saying "all subjects are critical to education" doesn't grab anyone's attention like "music is critical to education." I'm not saying "math, language arts, science, etc. are irrelevant", obviously. On a similar note "the future is for all people" might sound nice, but it doesn't address sexism.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 09:57:12 PM »

Like Black Lives Matter, the idea isn't that men don't have a future, the idea is that women will have a larger say in the future than they do in the present/did in the past. This is not about putting white men down (at least outside of the fringes of Twitter), it's about addressing the fact that women still don't have the same opportunities and privilege as men in American society, even if we are ahead of many countries in the world. Sometimes, people have to use bold wording to get others to pay attention. Just like for me, as a music educator, saying "all subjects are critical to education" doesn't grab anyone's attention like "music is critical to education." I'm not saying "math, language arts, science, etc. are irrelevant", obviously. On a similar note "the future is for all people" might sound nice, but it doesn't address sexism.

Excellent and erudite post
AtorBoltox

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 03:46:13 AM »

The article and this thread are the height of disingenuousness
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:18:37 AM »

I mean who cares tho. like just do ur own thing like stop worrying about your demographic group so much. that goes for all the sides of this.

the only person you should be concerned about the success of is yourself, because no one can make you successful but you.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 04:20:41 AM »

You shouldn't.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 04:47:24 AM »

With the onset of genetic engineering, the future will probably be hermaphroditic. More efficient.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 06:14:21 AM »

Excellent and erudite post

Poor white folks in Appalachia are hardly "privileged", and are, very much, on the wrong end of the "equality of opportunity" divide, yet when this is suggested, one is accused of being a racist, defending "white privilege", being a "white nationalist", etc.  So, no, I can't buy into the apologia for Gillibrand's statement, even from folks like Xingherui, whom I believe are inherently fair.  Obviously, I can't buy into it from those who don't fit that description.

If people wish real equality, let them say so.  I don't believe that the BLM folks want "equality"; they want vengeance.  They ACT like vengeful people.  These are folks that intimidated BERNIE SANDERS, of all people, off his own platform; is that the act of folks whose goal is "equality"?  If people are unfavorably disposed to BLM, how much of that is because of the vengeful tack they take, based on their own statements and acts, and not what someone else says about them that may or may not be accurate?

Gillibrand DIDN'T say what Xingherui said; she said something different that reflects an entirely different spirit.  If "words matter" for Trump, why do they not matter for Gillibrand?  And the defenses of her don't help.  The assertions of "male privilege" are, quite frankly, justifications for vengeance on the part of the more unreasonable members of the Democratic base.  Let's not kid ourselves about that.  Why should Gillibrand's statements not be viewed as a leftist "dog whistle", a subtle promise of vengeance and retribution for past injustices, to be inflicted, for the most part, on people that did not cause them.

If you want "equality", say it.  If you want to be President of ALL Americans, act like it.  Their is an element of the defenses of Gillibrand and apologia for Gillibrand that constitutes someone peeing on my leg and telling me that it's raining.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2018, 07:20:35 AM »

mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2018, 08:43:31 AM »

''The Future is Female'' is one of the most cringy slogans I've ever heard. One of the more annoying aspects of modern feminism is that apparently now it's ok to emphasize the differences between men and women as long as it benefits women. How many women are really enrolling in engineering, quantitative finance, econometrics or things like that? Those are the majors which will land you influential and well-paying jobs if you want to (maybe economics and finance too if automation doesn't completely kill us off lol). Ironically it's in the most ''feminine'' countries where the gender gaps between professions is the biggest (and I'm going to assume those also are the countries where there is the most stigma if a girl chooses a well-paying male-dominated major rather than social work or whatever). We should strife for a gender-blind world. That doesn't mean there are no differences or that every profession should have a 50/50 gender split, but it means that those differences should never create stigmas or societal expectations. It also means that we shouldn't constantly emphasize differences between the average man and the average woman because the average man or the average woman just doesn't exist. I don't think modern woke intersectional feminism, which now is at the stage of celebrating ''feminine'' characteristics, is particularly helpful when it comes to that. And tbh it's a rather insulting slogan. Whatever men have done in the past, 10-year old boys aren't responsible for that, but they will likely constantly hear this rather demotivating slogan when a woke Democrat inevitably wins in 2020.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:57 AM »

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2018, 08:49:22 AM »

There is zero reason to respect anybody who (willingly or unwillingly) interprets "the future is female" to mean "men don't count".

Fuzzy, I respect you, but do you know how much of a ing idiot you look like by making a thread like this?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2018, 08:50:22 AM »

With the onset of genetic engineering, the future will probably be hermaphroditic. More efficient.

You win the thread. That isn't saying much but... you definitely won it.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 09:22:37 AM »

Hermaphrodites are sterile. There would be no future
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2018, 09:23:39 AM »

Something you'd know about.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 09:27:57 AM »

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 09:59:18 AM »

ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 10:07:24 AM »

This thread is why more women should be running the world.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 10:30:11 AM »

You've never seen Predestination, have you?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »

Gillibrand has pretty much solidified her position as my top personal choice for 2020.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 11:46:57 AM »

This is the same as saying Black Lives Matter. It doesn't mean others don't.

Fuzzy, would you call a Susan G. Koman event "nauseating" because they're saying other forms of cancer don't matter? Of course not, because they're not saying that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies