IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 08:48:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37
Author Topic: IA-SEN 2020: Ernst megathread  (Read 64843 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:17 PM »

Ernst is voting for Barrett, likewise with Collins, she said the voting must wait til after election, but we know from Kavanaugh that she would vote to confirm Justice Barrett. Ernst is done

SCOTUS destroyed Collins because Maine is fairly liberal.  I would have thought it would help Ernst if anything though?  Maybe Iowans don't like the absurd hypocrisy though?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #676 on: October 01, 2020, 07:12:40 PM »

Ernst is voting for Barrett, likewise with Collins, she said the voting must wait til after election, but we know from Kavanaugh that she would vote to confirm Justice Barrett. Ernst is done

SCOTUS destroyed Collins because Maine is fairly liberal.  I would have thought it would help Ernst if anything though?  Maybe Iowans don't like the absurd hypocrisy though?

All of our Congressional districts support Ginsburg and they are fairly liberal
Lognog
United States

« Reply #677 on: October 02, 2020, 07:52:30 PM »

Wow, Joni Ernst listened to my #retailpolitics advice

Are you criticizing Senator Ernst?

Funny, did you go to all of Iowa's 99 counties?

yeah, that's what I thought.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #678 on: October 04, 2020, 12:32:37 AM »

Not a good look for Greenfield. (Ignore the NRSC flack tweet, the video is objectively bad)

ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #679 on: October 05, 2020, 08:26:21 AM »

what

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #680 on: October 05, 2020, 09:09:46 AM »

what

LMAO Ernst is grasping at straws. Also that video is not the own the NRSCC thinks it is. Ernst comes off like a robot, emotionless typical DC political with no soul.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #681 on: October 05, 2020, 09:18:00 AM »

Lol, why should Greenfield address stuff from an NC candidate who not even did something unlawful. Has Ernst condemned Mr. Trump's corruption? Ernst is a joke and always has been.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #682 on: October 05, 2020, 09:45:39 AM »

what

This makes me feel significantly more confident about our chances to win a Senate majority of this is what the GOP is latching on to.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #683 on: October 05, 2020, 10:55:57 AM »

The problem for Ernst is that she comes off so damn disingenuous every time she opens her mouth.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #684 on: October 05, 2020, 03:44:31 PM »

I think this race will be a redux of MO-SEN 2018. Here’s how: 1) The Republican is initially viewed as a “strong candidate” 2) Then people focus on how “bad” or “lackluster” a campaign he/she has run 3) call the race a “pure tossup” when it clearly isn’t 4) ignore the fundamentals 5) act surprised when the Republican candidate outperforms the polls.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #685 on: October 05, 2020, 03:58:02 PM »

I think this race will be a redux of MO-SEN 2018. Here’s how: 1) The Republican is initially viewed as a “strong candidate” 2) Then people focus on how “bad” or “lackluster” a campaign he/she has run 3) call the race a “pure tossup” when it clearly isn’t 4) ignore the fundamentals 5) act surprised when the Republican candidate outperforms the polls.

it IS a pure tossup though. and the fundamentals are not good for Trump/Rs right now, especially in a state like IA when his support is collapsing in the midwest.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: October 05, 2020, 04:04:42 PM »

Ernst is gonna lose due to fact our Congressional districts are Lean D, underestimating Greenfield is to Rs detriment. IA isn't safe R, it was a D state before 2014, it had Tom Harkins and Chet Culver
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #687 on: October 08, 2020, 05:09:15 AM »

SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #688 on: October 08, 2020, 05:35:54 AM »

That's pretty insane. She's still not going to win.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #689 on: October 08, 2020, 05:39:16 AM »

IA or NC will be the 50th seat for the D's, I don't see D's getting over 52 seats now, since Daines is winning. The D's will win 1 GA seat if Trump loses
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #690 on: October 08, 2020, 08:02:42 AM »

Except McCaskill was never a strong candidate in 2018 to begin with, and she constantly struggled in the polls.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #691 on: October 08, 2020, 08:18:43 AM »

Except McCaskill was never a strong candidate in 2018 to begin with, and she constantly struggled in the polls.

Yeah, and Senator Donnelly won because he was a strong, popular incumbent unlike McCaskill.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #692 on: October 08, 2020, 08:36:32 AM »

Not to mention the fact that Missouri is a more Republican state than Iowa.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #693 on: October 08, 2020, 08:59:47 AM »

- McCaskill trailed in most polls.

- McCaskill had been consistently unpopular for years. There was an absolutely vicious Republican smear campaign against her that literally began back in 2016.

- Hawley had a Kavanaugh bump right at the end. Missourians are totally unable to resist culture war red meat.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #694 on: October 08, 2020, 09:39:03 AM »

- McCaskill trailed in most polls.

- McCaskill had been consistently unpopular for years. There was an absolutely vicious Republican smear campaign against her that literally began back in 2016.

- Hawley had a Kavanaugh bump right at the end. Missourians are totally unable to resist culture war red meat.

Don't forget the Migrant Caravan bs.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #695 on: October 08, 2020, 10:42:27 AM »

Reduxes are overdone, but I think a better parallel if Ernst wins would be PA-SEN 2016 (incumbent initially seen as nearly safe because of early polls and a Weak Opponent™, then polls start to show the challenger leading, and people realize that the incumbent isn't that "strong" and start to consider the challenger favored. The incumbent then overperforms polls by just enough to win.)

If she loses (which I'm still not predicting, but it is definitely plausible if the environment is as good for Democrats as it seems), I'd say the right parallel would be CO-SEN 2014 (incumbent initially seen as safe because of the trends in the state, then the race ends up becoming much more competitive than expected, and polls show the incumbent losing. People assume that polls will underestimate the incumbent's party as they have in the past, but they end up being close to accurate in this particular race, and the incumbent narrowly loses.)

I've never been bullish on Greenfield's chances (I'd still give a very slight edge to Ernst), as those on this forum know, but I don't think calling this race a Toss-Up in a D+8-10 environment is unreasonable at all. The trend in Iowa isn't good for Democrats, and a win here would probably be the last time for a while Democrats would win a Senate race here, but Iowa isn't as Republican as Missouri yet, and there are cases of a party winning races in states where the trend is unfavorable for their party due to a favorable national environment.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #696 on: October 10, 2020, 04:47:50 PM »

Joni Ernst tours the state by motorcycle in the final days of 'tough, tough, tough' re-election fight.

"It's not what I feel on the ground," she said. "It's not what I feel when I'm traveling through all 99 counties of Iowa. I am out there, every single week, traveling to a different county and meeting with Iowans."
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: October 10, 2020, 04:52:51 PM »

This isn't 2016 it's 2020, and Ernst is in Tom Harkins seat, Greenfield will win😀😀😀

Dems in Congressional races will win
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #698 on: October 10, 2020, 05:21:21 PM »

This isn't 2016 it's 2020, and Ernst is in Tom Harkins seat, Greenfield will win😀😀😀

Dems in Congressional races will win

What does Tom Harkin have to do with 2020?
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #699 on: October 10, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »

Joni Ernst tours the state by motorcycle in the final days of 'tough, tough, tough' re-election fight.

"It's not what I feel on the ground," she said. "It's not what I feel when I'm traveling through all 99 counties of Iowa. I am out there, every single week, traveling to a different county and meeting with Iowans."

I detect #populism Purple heart
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies