Nebraska Dems on the cusp of eliminating caucus for 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:24:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Nebraska Dems on the cusp of eliminating caucus for 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nebraska Dems on the cusp of eliminating caucus for 2020  (Read 1807 times)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2018, 06:28:55 PM »

http://www.hastingstribune.com/news/state/nebraska/democrats-appear-ready-to-scrap-presidential-caucus/article_ca4ca47c-93f2-5f0c-a15c-be9cc176f3ed.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As someone who cares a lot about making it easy to vote, this is a very good decision. Caucuses are terrible from a small-d democratic standpoint. By design, they disenfranchise many thousands of voters.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »

Good. Caucuses are completely antithetical to the Democrats' professed desire to make voting easier and increase turnout. They should be done away with.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 07:02:00 PM »

I think that reducing the number of caucuses and superdelegates is a great compromise for the two wings of the Democratic Party, and makes the whole process more, well, Democratic.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 07:04:53 PM »

Great. Next step would be eliminating Iowa and New Hampshire's privilege of being the first states in the nation.
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »

Good. Caucuses are completely antithetical to the Democrats' professed desire to make voting easier and increase turnout. They should be done away with.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 07:08:44 PM »

Wow, what a reasonable, unbiased, "middle ground"/"moderate" username you have there Tongue
Lognog
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 10:37:21 PM »

Great. Next step would be eliminating Iowa and New Hampshire's privilege of being the first states in the nation.

The step after that, getting every state to go on Super Tuesday, but let's be honest that's never happening
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 02:45:09 AM »

http://www.hastingstribune.com/news/state/nebraska/democrats-appear-ready-to-scrap-presidential-caucus/article_ca4ca47c-93f2-5f0c-a15c-be9cc176f3ed.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As someone who cares a lot about making it easy to vote, this is a very good decision. Caucuses are terrible from a small-d democratic standpoint. By design, they disenfranchise many thousands of voters.

If one is a Democrat in Nebraska one needs more exposure in voting, as in primaries.
AudmanOut
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 02:57:26 AM »

HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 03:07:45 AM »

Absolutely agree. Every state needs to decaucusify.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 04:22:35 AM »

This is very good. At the very least, every state that has both primary and caucus should use the former.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 12:56:10 PM »

After the 2016 NV Dem caucus clusterfuck, the state party chair announced during the state convention she would try to return us back to a primary.  The audience in the room cheered.  Sadly, that has gone nowhere.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 07:54:53 PM »

Update: it was abolished!

https://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/nebraska-democrats-vote-to-abandon-presidential-caucus/article_e6471fc0-d4ab-53ae-81cd-101705d181e7.html
Wisconsin SC Race 2019
hofoid

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 11:49:56 PM »

I don't believe in unilateral disarmament. Superdelegates need to go too.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 11:56:29 PM »

Uh, superdelegates are already pretty much gone.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/25/politics/democrats-superdelegates-voting-changes/index.html
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2018, 12:36:49 AM »

"[Superdelegates] are not democratic."

"Oh, no I think I get this, OK.  So that means we also don't count caucus results, because those aren't very democratic, when you think about it.

"Oh, no no no.  We love caucuses.  If anything, caucuses count double."

Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2018, 06:40:04 AM »

Uh, superdelegates are already pretty much gone.

I may have gotten it wrong, but is Donna Brazille really saying that limiting the powers of superdelegates so that a select group of people can't change the outcome of an election, against the popular will, is a form of voter disenfranchisement? If so, screw her elitist ass.
SInNYC

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »

The world without any caucuses...

2016: Hillary wins IA (instead of tying), Bernie is just a gadfly getting 20% the rest of the way.

2008: Hillary wins IA and NH, Obama is just a blip on Super Tuesday (polling shows that southern blacks weren't for him originally since they didnt think he had a chance), Hillary rolls to victory (and probably blows the general election, but thats another discussion)

2004: Dean is just a blip, and Edwards doesn't amount to much other than the token southerner. Kerry wins, but picks Gephardt for veep.

2000: Not much different from reality.

1992:No candidate had strength outside his region though Bill Clinton successfully spun his NH loss into being a comeback kid. Brown was the caucus candidate, and would have been more insignificant. Clinton still wins just because the primary calendar is stacked for the south and its also a bigger region.

1988: This one is tough, but I think Gephardt just for name recognition, but maybe still Dukakis.

1984: still Mondale

1976: No Carter. Tight contest between Wallace, Udall, Bayh, Scoop Jackson, with each appealing to different groups?

I suspect Democrats (at least the activists) will regret this anti-caucus movement as future nominations become a name recognition contest.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »

2016: Hillary wins IA (instead of tying), Bernie is just a gadfly getting 20% the rest of the way.

2008: Hillary wins IA and NH, Obama is just a blip on Super Tuesday (polling shows that southern blacks weren't for him originally since they didnt think he had a chance), Hillary rolls to victory (and probably blows the general election, but thats another discussion)

2004: Dean is just a blip, and Edwards doesn't amount to much other than the token southerner. Kerry wins, but picks Gephardt for veep.

1992:No candidate had strength outside his region though Bill Clinton successfully spun his NH loss into being a comeback kid. Brown was the caucus candidate, and would have been more insignificant. Clinton still wins just because the primary calendar is stacked for the south and its also a bigger region.

1988: This one is tough, but I think Gephardt just for name recognition, but maybe still Dukakis.

1976: No Carter. Tight contest between Wallace, Udall, Bayh, Scoop Jackson, with each appealing to different groups?

I suspect Democrats (at least the activists) will regret this anti-caucus movement as future nominations become a name recognition contest.

What makes you think that Clinton would lose 2008? I'm not a fan of hers but literally any competent Democrat would win on the back of the economy that year
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2018, 12:06:22 PM »

What makes you think that Clinton would lose 2008? I'm not a fan of hers but literally any competent Democrat would win on the back of the economy that year

Yeah, even Denis Kucinich would win that year after Lehman brothers. The voters were just rejecting Republicans wholesale.

Also, I'm not sure at all that Obama would lose an Iowa primary. 
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2018, 12:31:25 PM »

2008 hypothetical Clinton vs. McCain polling.

McCain leading MI and IL being tossup is all you have to know. Hillary was as much of a turnoff in 2008 as she was in 2016.
SInNYC

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 01:01:23 PM »

Hillary Clinton is a very weak candidate and always fights the previous battle, and the likeability factor really does hurt in elections. On the other side, many considered McCain as a Republican who disagreed with other Republicans so he could have spun it to avoid responsibility for the 08 crises (and Hillary is incapable of pointing out that he wasnt the anti-R R). McCain also had the 'american hero' vibe that he could have sold. And he might not have picked Palin (though a decent argument can be made for either side there).

Also, dont forget that major D leaders such as Reid thought Hillary would lose, if you believe the post election books. I actually had McCain pegged to beat Obama until about a week after he nominated Palin.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2018, 01:34:46 PM »

McCain leading MI and IL being tossup is all you have to know. Hillary was as much of a turnoff in 2008 as she was in 2016.

Uh...no?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2018, 01:40:35 PM »

2008 hypothetical Clinton vs. McCain polling.

LOL.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2018, 01:48:29 PM »

Uh...no?

https://uselectionatlas.org/POLLS/PRESIDENT/2008/polls.php

Uh... yes?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies